A comparative story about Peters and his replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A comparative story about Peters and his replacement

LifetimesBillsfan came up with an comparison which made me think of another situation about the replacement of Peters.

Back in England, Arsenal had a young striker called Nicolas Anelka. He'd been poached from his French club for almost nothing but had been put into the starting line up and had been a star (Peters signed as a UDFA)

Immediately he started complaining about his contract and sulking and was eventually sold to Real Madrid for £23m (Peters traded to the Eagles)

This left Arsenal lightweight up front, and fans speculated on which striker the team would spend all the £23m on. (this forum)

Instead Arsenal spent £11m on Thierry Henry who was on the bench at Juventus as Wenger had spotted him earlier in this career (Finding a player at the combine and pro-day)

The remaining money was spent on other areas, strengthening the overall team. (using the higher draft picks elsewhere)

Basically although fans were clamouring for a high R1 replacement, the team had spotted their ideal replacement who would be available in R2. Reflecting on this latter, not only should Henry have been a R1 replacement but potentially the overall No1 pick and despite Juventus making a profit, they were actually fleeced and could easily have sold Henry for £20m. Arsenal subsequently turned down bids of £35m+ for Henry.

Whilst they are different sports and different systems to acquiring players, the most obvious solution as suggested by the fans and press is not always the right one.
  • Dujek
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Jan 2008

Re: A comparative story about Peters and his replacement

Here's a comparison looking at the fact that the Bills may be playing young inexperienced players at key positions this year:

In the summer of 1995 Manchester United sold Andrei Kanchelskis, Mark Hughes and Paul Ince and didn't bring in anyone to replace them. Newspapers and the media had a field day, claiming that Fergie had lost it, and that he shouldn't be putting so much faith in the young players that were coming through, you know, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and David Beckham. 10 months later those "kids" had won the Premier League and FA Cup, and went on to be the nucleus of the treble winning side of 1999.

If Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell turn out to be even as good (in equivalent terms) as Phil Neville and Nicky Butt were then the Bills have made a solid move.

Comment

Originally posted by Dujek
      Here's a comparison looking at the fact that the Bills may be playing young inexperienced players at key positions this year:

In the summer of 1995 Manchester United sold Andrei Kanchelskis, Mark Hughes and Paul Ince and didn't bring in anyone to replace them. Newspapers and the media had a field day, claiming that Fergie had lost it, and that he shouldn't be putting so much faith in the young players that were coming through, you know, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and David Beckham. 10 months later those "kids" had won the Premier League and FA Cup, and went on to be the nucleus of the treble winning side of 1999.

If Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell turn out to be even as good (in equivalent terms) as Phil Neville and Nicky Butt were then the Bills have made a solid move.
      LOL and the infamous statement from the great Alan Hansen on BBC TV 'Match of the Day'.

"You win nothing with kids"

He has never lived that down.

Comment

• streetkings01
        • Jul 2006

WTF?!?!?!?!
        You can call me streetkings

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
          • Dec 2002

Reading this thread was much like watching an episode of Blackadder. Another American left dumbfounded scratching his head.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
            • Nov 2005

Yeah, all we have to do now is draft the equivalent of Thierry Henry. No sweat.

And Anelka, while he's a whiny *****, is still pretty good.

Comment

The analogy is simple guys

1) Sometimes you give up a whining guy *****ing about his contract, sign a replacement who people might not think is the best and end up with the best of the deal - fans wanted the highest possible spent on the replacement, the coach selected someone he liked and ended up with the best of the deal

The analogy is that we've gotten rid of Peters, many are saying we must use #11 to select his replacement but is quite possible there will be a guy at #42 who will be the best of the bunch.

2) Kids can do just as well as veterans if the veterans are playing poorly.

Comment

• methos4ever
                • Apr 2004

Excellent examples both gents - in fact, I think we're going to mirror Arsene's affinity for playing youngsters as standard operating procedure.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Kernowboy and Dujek, I really like your analogies. I'm a big Arsenal fan, and love the young players like Wolcott, Fabregas, etc.

The problem you will encounter on this board, as you probably know, is convincing the realists that young players have any value. They can't replace even the most ineffective veteran (Dockery, e.g.), they never develop from year to year, and they can never reach the status of a "star" such as Peters.

Thus, there is no hope for Bell, Fine, Bowen, Ellis, Hardy, et. al., and no excitement over having 9 draft picks, including 2 in the 1st round.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Kernowboy and Dujek, I really like your analogies. I'm a big Arsenal fan, and love the young players like Wolcott, Fabregas, etc.

The problem you will encounter on this board, as you probably know, is convincing the realists that young players have any value. They can't replace even the most ineffective veteran (Dockery, e.g.), they never develop from year to year, and they can never reach the status of a "star" such as Peters.

Thus, there is no hope for Bell, Fine, Bowen, Ellis, Hardy, et. al., and no excitement over having 9 draft picks, including 2 in the 1st round.
                    You can't convince the realists because realistically, it never ****ing happens. Show me the last time that a rookie or 2nd year player came up big for this team, let alone 7 or 8 of them in THE SAME SEASON.

It's a completely unrealistic expectation.

On top of that, it's bad enough when we come up with analogies that involve other players on other NFL teams in other years. Now, we're using a completely different sport with a completely different system for acquiring and developing players? Give me a ****ing break.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

There is an article on the front page of Billszone that reads something like "Bills take huge step backwards".

The Bills have not demonstarted when losing key players that they find adequate replacements and improve in other areas.

Comment

• mayotm
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        You can't convince the realists because realistically, it never ****ing happens. Show me the last time that a rookie or 2nd year player came up big for this team, let alone 7 or 8 of them in THE SAME SEASON.

It's a completely unrealistic expectation.

On top of that, it's bad enough when we come up with analogies that involve other players on other NFL teams in other years. Now, we're using a completely different sport with a completely different system for acquiring and developing players? Give me a ****ing break.
                        Nice job Angry. I knew you'd be jumping in to represent the "realists".

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mayotm
                          Nice job Angry. I knew you'd be jumping in to represent the "realists".
                          if you have anything to add to the discussion, please do. I'm done engaging in discussions about my tone/attitude. It's not changing until the Bills start winning, so just deal with it.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mayotm
                            • Jul 2003

if you have anything to add to the discussion, please do. I'm done engaging in discussions about my tone/attitude. It's not changing until the Bills start winning, so just deal with it.
                            I was adding to the discussion. I told you nice job.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

I've passed the torch to you this week. I'm trying to be positive so I don't ruin the girl's weekend around here.

I'm getting ready for Monday when we take Oher at #11 to replace Peters and take some shocker at #28 and than go DB in the 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                              X