Less chance of an OT sliding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less chance of an OT sliding?

The Jaguars have just signed Torry Holt.

In my opinion this makes the chance of one of the Top4 OT sliding out of the Top10 less likely.

This is because the two needs of the Jaguars are now OT and DT. Even if Raji falls to the Jaguars and they nab him, a player that the Packers might go after will be a LT, as Chad Clifton is coming into a contract year and they need to upgrade here.

Teams that have LT needs in the Top10 are:

St Louis (to replace Orlando Pace)
    Seahawks (to eventually replace Walter Jones)
    Bengals (to pair opposite Levi Jones)
    Jaguars (though they signed Tra Thomas, he's 35)
    Packers (to replace Chad Clifton)
    San Francisco (to replace Staley who moves back to RT)

Even considering potential Top10 picks like Sanchez, Raji, Crabtree, and Orakpo, there is a strong chance that we will be looking at Maybin or Brown as offering the best value with the 11th pick.

What might be of interest though is if both the Redskins and Broncos want Sanchez and if he is still there, that both might 'overpay' to move up a place and beat the other.

It would excellent if the front office can persuade the Broncos to move up one place and still give us something.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2009, 05:45 AM.
  • Griz78
    • Sep 2002

Re: Less chance of an OT sliding?

The Bills are going defense at 11

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Some people dont consider Oher a Top 12 pick, or even Top 20 for that matter.

Personally, I think Oher will be on the board at #11-- its a question of how much the Bills value him.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• alohabillsfan
        • Sep 2003

Living in Jacksonville there is alot of chatter of them trading down...

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

and if there is a run on T and the top 4 are gone don't expect any other 1st rd T talent to be there @28. The Bill swill have to reach at #28 becuase there will be a run on T's and when our 2nd rd pick comes up there is a good chance that the T's left to choose from there will be late 2nd rd 3rd rd talents.

I know we need interior OL but we are evne more desperate to replace Peters IMO. No argument I have read convinces me we that the T's we have our good enough to forget replcing Peters with a player who can quite posisbly win a starting T job on day 1.

Comment

• kid mickey
            • Apr 2009

I am gonna stand by my belief that the Bills wouldn't have traded Peters if they didn't feel they could get a top tackle in this draft. While I do see three tackles going in the top 10. I don't see all four. I do see one of them slipping. Now depending on who teams like its either going to be Oher or A. Smith.
            Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kernowboy
              The Jaguars have just signed Torry Holt.

In my opinion this makes the chance of one of the Top4 OT sliding out of the Top10 less likely.

This is because the two needs of the Jaguars are now OT and DT. Even if Raji falls to the Jaguars and they nab him, a player that the Packers might go after will be a LT, as Chad Clifton is coming into a contract year and they need to upgrade here.

Teams that have LT needs in the Top10 are:

St Louis (to replace Orlando Pace)
              Seahawks (to eventually replace Walter Jones)
              Bengals (to pair opposite Levi Jones)
              Jaguars (though they signed Tra Thomas, he's 35)
              Packers (to replace Chad Clifton)
              San Francisco (to replace Staley who moves back to RT)

Even considering potential Top10 picks like Sanchez, Raji, Crabtree, and Orakpo, there is a strong chance that we will be looking at Maybin or Brown as offering the best value with the 11th pick.

What might be of interest though is if both the Redskins and Broncos want Sanchez and if he is still there, that both might 'overpay' to move up a place and beat the other.

It would excellent if the front office can persuade the Broncos to move up one place and still give us something.
              The Jags had no receivers before getting Holt and they need a young receiver for him to groom. Maclin would be perfect.

Remember, they lost/released Matt Jones, Reggie Williams and Jerry Porter. They seriously have no one.

Comment

• ryjam282
                Offical Billszone Starting QB
                • Mar 2003

Does it concern anyone that we are talking about possibly Smith being there andi taking him, I mean we just got rid of one lazy LT who thinks he's so great and we could possibly be taking another that was too good to get ready for the combine and has been out of shape in his offseason to show he deserves millions of dollars??

It definitley makes me wonder about him a bit.

Ryan Withey
                Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ryjam282
                  Does it concern anyone that we are talking about possibly Smith being there andi taking him, I mean we just got rid of one lazy LT who thinks he's so great and we could possibly be taking another that was too good to get ready for the combine and has been out of shape in his offseason to show he deserves millions of dollars??

I share that fear too... which is why I am more on the Oher train.

and its not just the Peters issue that has me fearing A. Smith it's the Mike Williams debacle as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahdi
                    The Jags had no receivers before getting Holt and they need a young receiver for him to groom. Maclin would be perfect.

Remember, they lost/released Matt Jones, Reggie Williams and Jerry Porter. They seriously have no one.
                    Except for the fact they are high on Mike Walker and a certain Troy Williamson, of stone hands, caught 84 balls for 1,047yds last season.

I think they will look at WR in the 2nd round and hope that Percy Harvin or Hakeem Nicks are still on the board

Comment

• kid mickey
                      • Apr 2009

I am really not worried about A. Smith too much. I watched him play and the kid was so dominant. I mean he is an outstanding run-blocker and a very solid pass blocker. I really don't think there is so much concern about him as a player. I think the biggest concern is his work ethic. You know he has the talent. Its just keeping him motivated. Is he a risk sure. I really think that he isn't Mike Williams though. Mike Williams was a softee. He was just too nice of a guy and you can't have that mentality on the football field as a lineman.
                      Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Except for the fact they are high on Mike Walker and a certain Troy Williamson, of stone hands, caught 84 balls for 1,047yds last season.

I think they will look at WR in the 2nd round and hope that Percy Harvin or Hakeem Nicks are still on the board
                        Mike Walker had 16 rec last year and Williamson had 5. Dont think they are too high on Williamson. Walker is still a project. They need more receivers and they need a go to guy other than Holt.

Comment

• ryjam282
                          Offical Billszone Starting QB
                          • Mar 2003

Good point on Mike Williams. We just can't win at that position, we thought Peters would. Be the LT Williams wasn't a d be turned out to. Be a douche. Figures.

Ryan Withey
                          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

My concern is also about Oher who is not the sharpest tool in the box. For example their wonderlic scores:

Andre Smith 17
                            Michael Oher 19
                            Eben Britton 31

The average for an OT is 26.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2009, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

A.Smith lost weight between the college season and the combine. He was in better shape. The fact that he was flabby is a non-issue. All OL are flabby. The kid is a football player. Top 5 in the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X