PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Already Reaping Rewards From Peters

User Manuel
04-21-2009, 08:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4084596

CB Sheldon Brown pulling a page out of the Jason Peters playbook.

Good for the Eagles.

Now a question for all, is Brown a malcontent or is he right? He had a far better year than Peters did last year?

ryjam282
04-21-2009, 08:10 AM
I don't think a guy with 4 years left on his contract has any right to gripe. This is ridiculous. I hope he has a crappy season and they cut him and he doesn't get a penny.

Saratoga Slim
04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't think a guy with 4 years left on his contract has any right to gripe. This is ridiculous. I hope he has a crappy season and they cut him and he doesn't get a penny.

I hope that everyone here who wanted us to pay Peters immediately to end his holdout watches how the Eagles handle this. Yes, I KNOW that Brown isn't as critical to the Eagles as Peters was to us, but nonetheless you're going to see that well managed teams don't cave to holdouts.

justasportsfan
04-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I hope that everyone here who wanted us to pay Peters immediately to end his holdout watches how the Eagles handle this. Yes, I KNOW that Brown isn't as critical to the Eagles as Peters was to us, but nonetheless you're going to see that well managed teams don't cave to holdouts.
are you implying we've been a well managed team? They just hired someone we didn't want to pay. I think there's a contradiction on how both teams are being managed.

User Manuel
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
It is an interesting situation to watch. Brown is making the exact same arguments that Peters made. By trading for Peters the Eagles have tacitly agreed that Peters "deserved" a guarantee of $25 million for his play up to that point. He really didn't get a raise until the extension starts, he just got a new signing bonus. Brown is essentially arguing the same thing. He doesn't want an immediate "raise" he wants the "respect" that a huge signing bonus will bring him.

Yes, the Eagles have been sucessfull, but they have won exactly as many Superbowls as we have and been to less. they certainly have a good front office, but is it great.

I would argue the Eagles have wasted some tremendous talent over the past 10 years.

yordad
04-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Let their slid down the slippery slope begin.

feldspar
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
I like it when the Eagles say this:

It is only in the most extraordinary, in fact, less than a handful of circumstances in the last ten years that any players two new years into a contract with three years left have been adjusted. We don't think this qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance.

Sounds very familiar, doesn't it? They could be talking about somebody else.

Michael82
04-21-2009, 02:46 PM
I like it when the Eagles say this:

Sounds very familiar, doesn't it? They could be talking about somebody else.
:rofl: They why did they extend Peters? Sorry, but this proves that the Bills couldn't have done that or the list of players that hold out would have doubled or tripled. :ill:

OpIv37
04-21-2009, 02:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4084596

CB Sheldon Brown pulling a page out of the Jason Peters playbook.

Good for the Eagles.

Now a question for all, is Brown a malcontent or is he right? He had a far better year than Peters did last year?

well, he must be a malcontent. After all, Peters was a malcontent for doing the same thing here.

OpIv37
04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I would argue the Eagles have wasted some tremendous talent over the past 10 years.

I would trade our last 10 years for their last 10 years in a heartbeat.

User Manuel
04-21-2009, 02:53 PM
I would trade our last 10 years for their last 10 years in a heartbeat.

I would too. I just don't think we should annoint them geniuses.

HHURRICANE
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
:rofl: They why did they extend Peters? Sorry, but this proves that the Bills couldn't have done that or the list of players that hold out would have doubled or tripled. :ill:

Yeah, we didn't do this. We signed Dockery for big money and alienated out best player on the line.

Completely different.

Goobylal
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
well, he must be a malcontent. After all, Peters was a malcontent for doing the same thing here.
Brown is a malcontent as well. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. It's just funny that they're handling Brown the same way the Bills handled Peters last year. Now it will be interesting to see whether Brown shows up anytime before the season starts, unlike Peters, and whether his play gets affected by his contract, like Peters. That will tell whether he's just malcontent or a malcontent POS like Peters.

Goobylal
04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, we didn't do this. We signed Dockery for big money and alienated out best player on the line.

Completely different.
Walker also got paid more than Peters. But you see, Peters wasn't shooting for Dockery (much less Walker) money. He was shooting for franchise LT money, after making the Pro Bowl in 2007.

Saratoga Slim
04-21-2009, 07:52 PM
are you implying we've been a well managed team? They just hired someone we didn't want to pay. I think there's a contradiction on how both teams are being managed.

I'm not implying we're a well managed team.

But I am implying that our FO handled the Peters situation in the same manner that I think the Eagles (a well managed team) are likely to handle the Brown situation. I.e., taking a hard line with a player that has numerous years left on his contract and holds out for more cash. Whether or not the Eagles were willing to pay Peters after we decided to cut ties with him is besides the point.

There are some distinctions (Peters was a more important player for the Bills than Brown is for the Eagles), but there is no contradiction.

justasportsfan
04-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm not implying we're a well managed team.

But I am implying that our FO handled the Peters situation in the same manner that I think the Eagles (a well managed team) are likely to handle the Brown situation. I.e., taking a hard line with a player that has numerous years left on his contract and holds out for more cash. Whether or not the Eagles were willing to pay Peters after we decided to cut ties with him is besides the point. .
I guess when it comes to Browns situation in comparison to Peters there is a simlilarity however, they signed a player we got rid of .

There are some distinctions (Peters was a more important player for the Bills than Brown is for the Eagles), but there is no contradiction.
and here lies another difference with both teams, we don't find ways to keep our players happy ,especially the ones that are really important to us which is why we are losers this decade.

Michael82
04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I guess when it comes to Browns situation in comparison to Peters there is a simlilarity however, they signed a player we got rid of .

and here lies another difference with both teams, we don't find ways to keep our players happy ,especially the ones that are really important to us which is why we are losers this decade.
ummm, the Eagles pissed off Lito Sheppard and traded him.

justasportsfan
04-22-2009, 10:44 AM
ummm, the Eagles pissed off Lito Sheppard and traded him.
ummm, but the eagles are still a good team and we suck.

feldspar
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
What some of you don't seem to understand is that Peters' houldout after the 2007 season came after his ONLY full year at the Left Tackle position in his entire life. Again, 2007 was the only season where he was the starting Left Tackle coming into the season, and that includes college. Not only that, but he was injured at the end of the year.

Also, if he wan't to hold out for a little while to make a statement, that's fine...but we got his point early on. Waiting until a few days before the season started was just plain stupid. The Bills had made it clear that they weren't going to extend his contract, or even think about doing so until he showed up. He was just gone for eight months, and we didn't know how his injury was doing or anything like that. He didn't want to come in even though we had a new offensive coordinator and a new o-line coach, who replaced the only one Peters had ever had. He had a lot to learn, even if he didn't only have a year and a half's experience at the position in his entire life.

Then, last year, he had what some people would call an "off year." Some say that's no big deal. His so-called off year constituted 40% of his time at the Left Tackle position in his whole life, though. That's not insignificant. IF he didn't perform as well as he could have because of his holdout and contract, whose fault is that? It's a reflection of his stupidity and part of the whole package that is Jason Peters. He demanded more money than any other LT after the season he had? Not to mention that he got hurt AGAIN at the end of the year. C'mon, who is alienating who here?

Had the Bills made the playoffs the past two seasons, they would have gone into the postseason without their so-called LT both years. Where would he be when we needed him, counting his money and plotting how to get more?