PDA

View Full Version : Ingtar33's - 2009 NFL Draft, Round 1 Mock

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 11:47 AM
note: i picked all players with an educated guess toward what the team will take, not what i would draft if i were in their shoes

1) Detroit - biggest needs QB, LB, OL, DL

Pick – Matt Stafford QB, Georgia - The Detroit Lions Continue their tradition of high first round misses by grabbing Stafford. Of the top 3 QBs in this draft Stafford impresses me the least. He simply doesn't feel a pass rush, and his accuracy isn't there. His arm strength is monstrous, however so was Ryan Leaf's

2) St.Louis - biggest needs OL, LB, WR, CB

Pick - Jason Smith OT, Baylor - This one bothered me a lot, the no brainer is the OT here, but something is nagging me that it might be Sanchez instead. This team needs so much up and down the roster this pick really depends on if Detroit takes Stafford or not. It would be hard for them to pass on Crabtree or Curry here as well.

3) Kansas City - Biggest needs LB, DL, OL, S

Pick - Aaron Curry OLB, Wake Forest - No brainer, the chiefs need defense something terrible, and while OL is a need, I don't see them passing on a once every 5 years defensive talent like Curry. He'll likely play OLB.

4) Seattle - Biggest Needs CB, OL, QB, S

Pick - Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia - Simply put there is no CBs worth a top 5 pick this year, and Monroe is much better then anyone left on the board. The only wildcard is if they'll go with Sanchez. I doubt it, so look for one of the top 2 linemen of one is still on the board.

5) Cleveland - Biggest Needs LB, CB, S, OL, TE, WR

Pick - Brian Orakpo DE/LB, Texas - Simply put they have desperate need for a pass rush. With no DBs worth this pick, and a defensive head coach coming in, this looks like a lock.

6) Cincinnati - Biggest Needs DL, OL, RB, S

Pick - Michael Oher OT, Mississippi - The Bengals need a pass blocker, they get a great one. They could go defense here... but with all the great pass rushers in their division, and their terrible o-line, this pick seems to be another lock.

7) Oakland - Biggest Need WR, OL, CB, S

Pick - Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri - The raiders would be best served going with Crabtree here, but Maclin is too fast and athletic for Al Davis to pass on. He'll contribute in the return game right out of the gate, but his rout running probably isn't good enough to make an impact in the passing game for a season or two.

8) Jacksonville - Biggest Need WR, QB, OL, DL

Pick - Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech - I really waffled on this one, between Crabtree, Sanchez and Raji, in the end I think the dismissal of Matt Jones makes this pick a requirement as this team literally has no one at WR who you game plan for. Could be looking to move back.

9) Greenbay - Biggest Need DL, LB, OL

Pick - Aaron Maybin DE/LB, Penn St - The temptation will be there for them to take Andre Smith, they need a right tackle, and Smith might be a great one however smith screwed himself at the combine, and in the end the Packers are switching to a 34, and they had no pass rush last year, Maybin is far too small to play end in a 34, but he'll be able to start right out of the gate at rush LB in the 34. Johnson and Jackson both could go here instead (as they both have the size to be prototypical 5 technique ends).

10) San Francisco - Biggest Needs QB, OL, S, LB

Pick - Mark Sanchez QB, USC - This will be a coin flip between Andre Smith and Sanchez. I think the 49'ers would be idiots to skip Sanchez considering their QB situation, but stranger things have happened. Sanchez, I almost like at 10th, but I'm not sure he'll be any good in the end. If the 49er front office is as conflicted as I am about him, the pick will go OL.

11) Buffalo - Biggest Needs OL, DL, TE, LB

Pick - Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma St - The Bills have three options left on the board by the time they pick, with Raji DT and Brown DE being the other two. I heard from the grapevine a while ago, that this was the guy the Bills really wanted in Round 1 (I really hope this isn't true). While his speed isn't great, he's such a fine rout runner it doesn't matter. He's also a punishing blocker. Considering his size and hands we could be looking at filling our TE position with a Ben Coates clone. I would be just as happy with either Brown or Raji, if the Bills went that way, I don't list him as an option, but Andre Smith's character issues scare me, he's arguably the best talent tackle on the board. If Pettigrew is their guy, they could probably safely fall back to 18 or 19 and still get him (that doesn't mean he's a reach, his talent justifies a top 15 pick, just the teams behind them aren't likely to take a TE), maybe in a trade back with the Jets.

12) Denver - Biggest Needs QB, DL, LB, DB, OL

Pick - BJ Raji DT, Boston College - Talent makes this pick a no brainer

13) Washington - Biggest Needs DL, OL, LB, WR

Pick - Everette Brown DE, Florida St - The skins take their biggest need with the best 43 DE in left the draft. This might be a steal at 13... or it might not... personally he reminds me a lot of Aaron Schobel, so if he puts up any production like that throughout his career the redskins will be happy. Terrible run stopper, he's very one dimensional, and rather small. There is a risk he'll not be able to stand up to the rigors of the NFL. Andre Smith is a huge possibility here as well.

14) New Orleans - Biggest Needs RB, OL, LB, DB

Pick - Malcolm Jenkins FS, Ohio St - They have just 4 picks in this draft, and really they need the DB help. It will be almost impossible to pass on the best DB in the draft.

15) Houston - Biggest needs CB, DL, WR, LB

Pick - Rey Maualuga LB, USC - I rather hesitated on this pick, but I think Matthews is probably the best fit for the Texan's defense however it's hard to skip talent and I think Cushing is probably the best LB at USC, but in the end, I doubt the Texans will pass on Maualuga, who I think could flourish if he's put inside in their defense. In the end I think Houston could be the most likely team to trade down in the first. Their biggest needs will still be there later.

16) San Diego - Biggest needs DL, OL, S, RB

Pick - Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia - The chargers luck out and get the best RB on the board. They need OT and DL, but the value isn't there, and SD hasn't been known to reach; besides their holes on the lines aren't particularly glaring. With Tomlinson's career winding down this pick could set the SD backfield for the next decade. Could be looking to trade down

17) NY Jets - Biggest Needs WR, DL, QB, TE, OL

Pick - Tyson Jackson DE, LSU - the prototypical 5 technique DE edges out McCoy for this pick. Watch for the jets to be in the market to move either up or down out of this pick.

18) Denver - Biggest Needs QB, LB, DB, OL

Pick - Brian Cushing LB, USC - Cushing would make an impressive ILB for the new 34 the broncos are building. A good pick and sort of a no brainer when you consider the value left on the board.

19) Tampa - Biggest Needs DL, QB, RB, LB

Pick - Josh Freeman QB, Kansas St - a project pick, and a guy I’m not sold on. Personally I think he probably is a round 2 guy, and probably needs 2 or 3 years on the bench. I just don't see the accuracy either. If the Bucs feel as I do, and they like their horrid QB situation, they could go with Michael Johnson at DE here.

20) Detroit - Biggest Needs LB, OL, DL, WR

Pick - Eben Britton OT, Arizona - they got their QB, and their OT. Britton is perhaps too raw to go here, but he's got the tools to be a top tackle in the league, and is almost freakish in athletic ability.

21) Philadelphia - Biggest Needs RB, TE, WR, LB, CB

Pick - Larry English OLB/DE, N.Illinois - too easy a pick, I could see them go with Beanie Wells or Ayers, but in the end this is the Eagles, and they'll go with the best pass rusher left LB or DL... that's English

22) Minnesota Vikings - Biggest Needs OL, WR, CB, LB, DL

Pick - Percy Harvin WR, Florida - This is sort of a tossup, but I think the Vikes needs playmakers more then anything else... anywhere they can find them. Harvin probably isn't ready to be a pro WR... but he's a playmaker, and could add a scary wrinkle to their offense if the Vikes use him right as a gadget guy on the same field as Peterson. Look for the Vikes to try to move back, possibly out of the first round.

23) New England - Biggest Needs LB, S, RB, WR

Pick - Vontae Davis CB, Illinois - with value no longer in the draft for the Pats needs at this pick, look for them to take a long look at Davis and Bennie Wells, in the end I think the Pats will continue to build toward another super bowl, and take a top notch flexible CB who can do it all and will contribute immediately.

24) Atlanta - Biggest Needs DL, S, TE, OL, CB

Pick - Evander Hood DT, Missouri - The Falcon's lack of a pass rush was exploited in their playoff loss to the Cards. Hood will give them a great inside rush, and solidify their mediocre line.

25) Miami - Biggest Needs WR, DL, LB, CB, OL

Pick - Clint Sintim OLB, Virginia - Perfect fit for their needs. Sintim will shock everyone going in the first round, but in the end Parcells will look like a genius, as this guy has player written all over him. He probably will outplay all the LBs drafted ahead of him in his rookie year. The Dolphins might look to fall out of round one to the high end of round 2, because they could easily get this diamond in the rough later.

26) Baltimore - Biggest Needs WR, LB, DL, S, CB

Pick - Darrius Heyward-Bey WR, Maryland - I kicked around another CB here, as well as a LB, but I don't see the 1st round talent left at either position. Heyward-Bey is a risky pick, and probably not worth a round one selection. But he fills a desperate need on the Ravens. Another team that could be looking to trade back.

27) Indianapolis - Biggest Needs DL, WR, LB, RB

Pick - Peria Jerry DT, Mississippi - A big one gap DT to anchor the Colts line. If he's off the board and Hood isn't this pick will be Hood. Jerry will make an immediate impact for the colts.

28) Buffalo - Biggest Needs OL, DL, LB, WR

Pick - William Beatty OT, Connecticut - I rather like this pick, he's a little raw, but there is great word of mouth on this guy’s character and potential. Might need a year to get up to speed, but should be an anchor on the line. The Bills could also take a long look at Ayers or Mack

29) NY Giants - Biggest Needs WR, LB, TE, OL

Pick - Kenny Britt WR, Rutgers - a perfect replacement for Plax... a big good redzone target.

30) Tennessee - Biggest Needs DL, WR, CB, QB

Pick - D.J. Moore CB, Vanderbilt - Great player to fit their needs and a good value.

31) Arizona - Biggest Needs LB, RB, DL, OL

Pick - Chris "Beanie" Wells RB, Ohio St - Though Alex Mack is just as likely, I don't see the Cards passing on Wells if he's still on the board. With Wells off the board this pick will be Mack.

32) Pittsburgh - Biggest Needs OL, DT, CB, WR

Pick - Alex Mack C, California - If Mack gets past AZ, the Steelers will take him before the card's pick is finished being read.

Philagape
04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm tripping over all these grapevines running through the Zone about what the Bills will do. (Pettigrew! Jackson! Maybin!)

patmoran2006
04-21-2009, 11:51 AM
I would extremely dissapointed if we took Pettigrew at 11.

and where is Andre Smith? Not even in the first round?
he's a top 10 pick.

madness
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Raji?

HHURRICANE
04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
I believe Carucci when he says there is no way Buffalo is taking Pettigrew.

I also believe that there is a chance that no QB is taken in the top 10 which Adam Schein also believes.

So your board would really get screwed up than.

I think the Bills are going to take an o-lineman if the one they want is available and may trade up in the first if someone else is sitting there.

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I would extremely dissapointed if we took Pettigrew at 11.

and where is Andre Smith? Not even in the first round?
he's a top 10 pick.

You don't know what type of a terrible impression he left at the combine. Smith probably sank himself right out of round one.

Raji... dear god.. how did i miss him... one sec... let me fix this...

kernowboy
04-21-2009, 12:11 PM
You don't know what type of a terrible impression he left at the combine. Smith probably sank himself right out of round one.

If it makes you feel any better I missed out Oher. Its quite easy to do

kernowboy
04-21-2009, 12:13 PM
No Clay Matthews though?

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
No Clay Matthews though?

where on earth would mathews go? i like him as a round one talent, but he's not really a good fit for anyone. top half of round 2 for him would be my guess

The Spaz
04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Man I like Pettigrew but not at 11. If we really skipped Brown and Raji for him I would be pissed.

patmoran2006
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Got 1,000 ZB (just for fun of course) that says Andre Smith is off the board when the Bills pick at #11.

not only will he go in first round, but Top 10 as well.

kernowboy
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
where on earth would mathews go? i like him as a round one talent, but he's not really a good fit for anyone. top half of round 2 for him would be my guess

I have him going to Houston with Maulaga either with the Chargers or the Patriots.

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Man I like Pettigrew but not at 11. If we really skipped Brown and Raji for him I would be pissed.

You're not the only one. Listen.. the rumor i heard seemed solid. So I had the Bills take him.

I think we could probably trade back with the Jets and take him at 17, letting the Jets get Raji.. which i think they'd prefer.

kernowboy
04-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Got 1,000 ZB (just for fun of course) that says Andre Smith is off the board when the Bills pick at #11.

I have him going to the Chargers at #16

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 12:23 PM

fair enough. i'll make that bet.

You just don't know how badly he hurt himself at the combine. And i mean horribly. I'll even give you better odds on this one. Rather then off the board before the bills pick (at 11) ... lets drop it back to 24.

I'll pay out if he's drafted before the 24th pick. and you don't have to pay me unless he's taken after the... lets call it the 28th pick

FlyingDutchman
04-21-2009, 12:26 PM

No shot Smith falls out of the first round. I will never comment on anything draft wise if this happens and Ill be the first to admit im an idiot. There is just no shot. Ill be amazed if hes there when Buffalo picks. A week worth of drills is not going to negate what that freak did for 4 years. Watch.

kernowboy
04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Mine

Detroit - Matt Stafford
St Louis - Jason Smith
Kansas - Aaron Curry
Seattle - Michael Crabtree
Cleveland - Brian Orakpo
Cincinnati - Eugene Monroe
Oakland - Jeremy Maclin
Jacksonville - BJ Raji
Green Bay - Michael Oher
San Francisco - Mark Sanchez
Buffalo - Everette Brown
Denver - Tyson Jackson
Washington - Aaron Maybin
New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins
Houston - Clay Matthews
San Diego - Andre Smith
NY Jets - Chris Wells
Denver - Josh Freeman
Tampa - Brian Cushing
Detroit - William Beatty
Philadelphia - Sean Smith
Minnesota - Eben Britton
New England - Rey Maualaga
Atlanta - Brandon Pettigrew
Miami - Vontae Davis
Baltimore - Darius Heyward Bey
Indiannapolis - Peria Jerry
Buffalo - James Laurinaitis
NY Giants - Kenny Britt
Tennessee - Robert Ayers
Arizona - Knowshon Moreno
Pittsburgh - Alex Mack

dylanme8
04-21-2009, 12:30 PM
fair enough. i'll make that bet.

You just don't know how badly he hurt himself at the combine. And i mean horribly. I'll even give you better odds on this one. Rather then off the board before the bills pick (at 11) ... lets drop it back to 24.

I'll pay out if he's drafted before the 24th pick. and you don't have to pay me unless he's taken after the... lets call it the 28th pick
You lost

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
No shot Smith falls out of the first round. I will never comment on anything draft wise if this happens and Ill be the first to admit im an idiot. There is just no shot. Ill be amazed if hes there when Buffalo picks. A week worth of drills is not going to negate what that freak did for 4 years. Watch.

Fair i guess... just you watch. very few NFL teams will be happy with taking the risk he'll represent. That guy has 1 year flame out written all over him

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd be very pissed if we take a blocking TE at #11...stupid pick.

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd be very pissed if we take a blocking TE at #11...stupid pick.

if you think Pettegrew is a "blocking tight end" then you need your head examined. He's the complete package. There isn't a thing he does less then excellent. he's always open. He'll be a 3rd down beast. His hands are top notch.

He's easily top 15 talent so taking him at 11 isn't a reach, but there really isn't anyone who will take him until you get around the 20th pick... so the Bills would be best served to trade back into the late teens.

as to the bills taking him. i only had them doing it in this mock, because that's the persistent rumor. If i was in charge i would look at DL, Brown or Raji (if they're there) or even OL (yes, i'd take a long look at Smith, though the rumors i heard about what happened at his proday and the combine probably would scratch him of my list)

User Manuel
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
If they take Pettigrew at #11someone should be fired.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
if you think Pettegrew is a "blocking tight end" then you need your head examined. He's the complete package. There isn't a thing he does less then excellent. he's always open. He'll be a 3rd down beast. His hands are top notch.

He's easily top 15 talent so taking him at 11 isn't a reach, but there really isn't anyone who will take him until you get around the 20th pick... so the Bills would be best served to trade back into the late teens.

No, I think I'm pretty accurate on this one. This guy is NOT a playmaker and the hype is blinding a lot of people. Just because he is the only "complete" TE in this draft doesn't make him great or even the best in this draft. I'd take my chances with a playmaker later in the draft and be totally fine with it.

Ingtar33
04-21-2009, 12:50 PM
No, I think I'm pretty accurate on this one. This guy is NOT a playmaker and the hype is blinding a lot of people. Just because he is the only "complete" TE in this draft doesn't make him great or even the best in this draft. I'd take my chances with a playmaker later in the draft and be totally fine with it.

this guy looks and plays just like Ben Coates. Was ben coates a playmaker? Depends on your definition. He wasn't a risk to take it the distance after he caught it, but he was always open. was virtually unrecoverable, and never dropped a ball thrown his way.

He was a weapon.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
this guy looks and plays just like Ben Coates. Was ben coates a playmaker? Depends on your definition. He wasn't a risk to take it the distance after he caught it, but he was always open. was virtually unrecoverable, and never dropped a ball thrown his way.

He was a weapon.

He's nothing like Coates...Coates was receiving TE, this guy is not. I'll ask you a question...what do you think of when think of Pettigrew...what's his best asset? Exactly! He's a great blocker who can catch the ball on a 5 yard out, but he doesn't make any plays...as shown by his 0 TD catches last year. I don't like him at #11 and think he is not the type of player this team needs. They need a playmaking TE who can stretch the field and make plays.

BillsWin
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
If Raji is on the board at 11 and we skip him, it is official. We do not want to win.

TacklingDummy
04-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Do not draft a TE this year, next year draft Jermaine Gresham.

TacklingDummy
04-21-2009, 01:03 PM
If Raji is on the board at 11 and we skip him, it is official. We do not want to win.
I liked his draft up until the 11th pick, Raji is the pick at 11 in this draft.

madness
04-21-2009, 01:11 PM
He's nothing like Coates...Coates was receiving TE, this guy is not. I'll ask you a question...what do you think of when think of Pettigrew...what's his best asset? Exactly! He's a great blocker who can catch the ball on a 5 yard out, but he doesn't make any plays...as shown by his 0 TD catches last year. I don't like him at #11 and think he is not the type of player this team needs. They need a playmaking TE who can stretch the field and make plays.

His 0 TD's had absolutely nothing to do with his receiving skills and everything to do with their WR's. Their QB hardly ever had to go past his 2nd or 3rd read.

SquishDaFish
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree Raji should be the pick. And I also agree Smith will go in the top 12. His stock is rising back up

Tatonka
04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
if matthews made it to us in round 2, it would almost make up for the pettigrew pick.

SquishDaFish
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Also I dont think Jaguars have to take a WR now seeing they signed Holt

ct bills fan
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Plus Pettigrew was playing on a bad ankle all year. The scouts who's opinion I trust love the guy - Mayock, Brandt. Ideally, we could trade down into the high teens (perhaps to one of the teams who want a qb, if one of the three is still available at 11) and pick up another 2nd or 3rd.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I could definitely see the Pats taking Davis, especially given they were ready to take Cromartie last year if they didn't get Mayo.

However, I find it hard to believe they would look at Beanie Wells as a backup plan. Wells is very talented, but in the Pats scheme I think they want a guy who catches the ball better.

TedMock
04-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I think people (fans) pigeon-hole TE's in the worst way. Pettigrew is a great blocker, but he is certainly not just a "blocking TE." The guy has great hands and can beat any LB in coverage while in route. That is huge. Does a defense really want to bring their safeties down to cover our TE with T.O. and Lee on the outside?

People did the same, but opposite, when they spoke of Ben Coates or Shannon Sharpe. These guys were labeled as "receiving TE's," or even worse "WR's in a TE's body." They were both excellent blockers too and that very important aspect of their game was grossly and unfairly underrated. I want fair value at a need. We have a lot of needs and I don't want to reach too much just to fill a hole. We need a TE, we need OL, we need DE, and we need LB. Why take the 21st best player at 11, for instance? I want a guy ranked somewhere between 10-15 on our board at that pick - who also happens to fill a need. We can take Britton, or Mack, or Ayers, or Sid, or Beatty, or maybe even Smith or a LB at 28 (depending on how the chips fall), and we still have 42 to add a quality producer.

ddaryl
04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I'll be upset if we end up with Petigrew @ #11 and Beatty at #28 the guy is a toothpick... Give me Loadholt over Beatty and put him at RT immediately. Loadholt is a mauler

Devin
04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Nice mock Ingtar!

I agree with you Andre Smith has done nothing but kill his stock since Bama's last game. Guy is a grade A ass. I completley agree hes probably sunk himself out the first round, or at the very least the top of it, kid is a headcase.

Like the assessment of Pettigrew as well, I think Coates was a nice comparison.

Well done.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Like the assessment of Pettigrew as well, I think Coates was a nice comparison.

Well done.
Nighthawk is going to be PISSED!!!

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Nighthawk is going to be PISSED!!!

Nah, I just don't agree...I think that's an awful comparison and not even close. Coates was nothing like Pettigrew...he was a receiving TE. I just don't like Pettigrew as much as others...I think he is highly overrated.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Nah, I just don't agree...I think that's an awful comparison and not even close. Coates was nothing like Pettigrew...he was a receiving TE. I just don't like Pettigrew as much as others...I think he is highly overrated.
I think the point is Pettigrew is also a receiving TE. Hell Coates was bigger and also a great blocker. I think the comparison is at least somewhat close.

Ickybaluky
04-21-2009, 06:31 PM
I think the point is Pettigrew is also a receiving TE. Hell Coates was bigger and also a great blocker. I think the comparison is at least somewhat close.

Actually, they are a lot alike. Both are about 6-5, 260#. Both are big rangy guys who use their bodies and have strong hands. Both were physical players.

I think Coates is an excellent comparison.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 06:37 PM

I hear ya, but I don't think he is that great of a receiving TE...I just didn't see it when I watched him and I don't think he is a game-changing type of player.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Actually, they are a lot alike. Both are about 6-5, 260#. Both are big rangy guys who use their bodies and have strong hands. Both were physical players.

I think Coates is an excellent comparison.

Seriously...what were you guys watching because I don't see it!?!?!? Coates was a playmaking TE who could get down the field and split the seam 20 yards downfield. I remember plenty of times where he did that to not only the Bills, but the rest of the NFL. I don't think Pettigrew can do that...and there is no way I would take Pettigrew that high.

Mitchell55
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
note: i picked all players with an educated guess toward what the team will take, not what i would draft if i were in their shoes

1) Detroit - biggest needs QB, LB, OL, DL

Pick – Matt Stafford QB, Georgia - The Detroit Lions Continue their tradition of high first round misses by grabbing Stafford. Of the top 3 QBs in this draft Stafford impresses me the least. He simply doesn't feel a pass rush, and his accuracy isn't there. His arm strength is monstrous, however so was Ryan Leaf's

2) St.Louis - biggest needs OL, LB, WR, CB

Pick - Jason Smith OT, Baylor - This one bothered me a lot, the no brainer is the OT here, but something is nagging me that it might be Sanchez instead. This team needs so much up and down the roster this pick really depends on if Detroit takes Stafford or not. It would be hard for them to pass on Crabtree or Curry here as well.

3) Kansas City - Biggest needs LB, DL, OL, S

Pick - Aaron Curry OLB, Wake Forest - No brainer, the chiefs need defense something terrible, and while OL is a need, I don't see them passing on a once every 5 years defensive talent like Curry. He'll likely play OLB.

4) Seattle - Biggest Needs CB, OL, QB, S

Pick - Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia - Simply put there is no CBs worth a top 5 pick this year, and Monroe is much better then anyone left on the board. The only wildcard is if they'll go with Sanchez. I doubt it, so look for one of the top 2 linemen of one is still on the board.

5) Cleveland - Biggest Needs LB, CB, S, OL, TE, WR

Pick - Brian Orakpo DE/LB, Texas - Simply put they have desperate need for a pass rush. With no DBs worth this pick, and a defensive head coach coming in, this looks like a lock.

6) Cincinnati - Biggest Needs DL, OL, RB, S

Pick - Michael Oher OT, Mississippi - The Bengals need a pass blocker, they get a great one. They could go defense here... but with all the great pass rushers in their division, and their terrible o-line, this pick seems to be another lock.

7) Oakland - Biggest Need WR, OL, CB, S

Pick - Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri - The raiders would be best served going with Crabtree here, but Maclin is too fast and athletic for Al Davis to pass on. He'll contribute in the return game right out of the gate, but his rout running probably isn't good enough to make an impact in the passing game for a season or two.

8) Jacksonville - Biggest Need WR, QB, OL, DL

Pick - Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech - I really waffled on this one, between Crabtree, Sanchez and Raji, in the end I think the dismissal of Matt Jones makes this pick a requirement as this team literally has no one at WR who you game plan for. Could be looking to move back.

9) Greenbay - Biggest Need DL, LB, OL

Pick - Aaron Maybin DE/LB, Penn St - The temptation will be there for them to take Andre Smith, they need a right tackle, and Smith might be a great one however smith screwed himself at the combine, and in the end the Packers are switching to a 34, and they had no pass rush last year, Maybin is far too small to play end in a 34, but he'll be able to start right out of the gate at rush LB in the 34. Johnson and Jackson both could go here instead (as they both have the size to be prototypical 5 technique ends).

10) San Francisco - Biggest Needs QB, OL, S, LB

Pick - Mark Sanchez QB, USC - This will be a coin flip between Andre Smith and Sanchez. I think the 49'ers would be idiots to skip Sanchez considering their QB situation, but stranger things have happened. Sanchez, I almost like at 10th, but I'm not sure he'll be any good in the end. If the 49er front office is as conflicted as I am about him, the pick will go OL.

11) Buffalo - Biggest Needs OL, DL, TE, LB

Pick - Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma St - The Bills have three options left on the board by the time they pick, with Raji DT and Brown DE being the other two. I heard from the grapevine a while ago, that this was the guy the Bills really wanted in Round 1 (I really hope this isn't true). While his speed isn't great, he's such a fine rout runner it doesn't matter. He's also a punishing blocker. Considering his size and hands we could be looking at filling our TE position with a Ben Coates clone. I would be just as happy with either Brown or Raji, if the Bills went that way, I don't list him as an option, but Andre Smith's character issues scare me, he's arguably the best talent tackle on the board. If Pettigrew is their guy, they could probably safely fall back to 18 or 19 and still get him (that doesn't mean he's a reach, his talent justifies a top 15 pick, just the teams behind them aren't likely to take a TE), maybe in a trade back with the Jets.

12) Denver - Biggest Needs QB, DL, LB, DB, OL

Pick - BJ Raji DT, Boston College - Talent makes this pick a no brainer

13) Washington - Biggest Needs DL, OL, LB, WR

Pick - Everette Brown DE, Florida St - The skins take their biggest need with the best 43 DE in left the draft. This might be a steal at 13... or it might not... personally he reminds me a lot of Aaron Schobel, so if he puts up any production like that throughout his career the redskins will be happy. Terrible run stopper, he's very one dimensional, and rather small. There is a risk he'll not be able to stand up to the rigors of the NFL. Andre Smith is a huge possibility here as well.

14) New Orleans - Biggest Needs RB, OL, LB, DB

Pick - Malcolm Jenkins FS, Ohio St - They have just 4 picks in this draft, and really they need the DB help. It will be almost impossible to pass on the best DB in the draft.

15) Houston - Biggest needs CB, DL, WR, LB

Pick - Rey Maualuga LB, USC - I rather hesitated on this pick, but I think Matthews is probably the best fit for the Texan's defense however it's hard to skip talent and I think Cushing is probably the best LB at USC, but in the end, I doubt the Texans will pass on Maualuga, who I think could flourish if he's put inside in their defense. In the end I think Houston could be the most likely team to trade down in the first. Their biggest needs will still be there later.

16) San Diego - Biggest needs DL, OL, S, RB

Pick - Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia - The chargers luck out and get the best RB on the board. They need OT and DL, but the value isn't there, and SD hasn't been known to reach; besides their holes on the lines aren't particularly glaring. With Tomlinson's career winding down this pick could set the SD backfield for the next decade. Could be looking to trade down

17) NY Jets - Biggest Needs WR, DL, QB, TE, OL

Pick - Tyson Jackson DE, LSU - the prototypical 5 technique DE edges out McCoy for this pick. Watch for the jets to be in the market to move either up or down out of this pick.

18) Denver - Biggest Needs QB, LB, DB, OL

Pick - Brian Cushing LB, USC - Cushing would make an impressive ILB for the new 34 the broncos are building. A good pick and sort of a no brainer when you consider the value left on the board.

19) Tampa - Biggest Needs DL, QB, RB, LB

Pick - Josh Freeman QB, Kansas St - a project pick, and a guy I’m not sold on. Personally I think he probably is a round 2 guy, and probably needs 2 or 3 years on the bench. I just don't see the accuracy either. If the Bucs feel as I do, and they like their horrid QB situation, they could go with Michael Johnson at DE here.

20) Detroit - Biggest Needs LB, OL, DL, WR

Pick - Eben Britton OT, Arizona - they got their QB, and their OT. Britton is perhaps too raw to go here, but he's got the tools to be a top tackle in the league, and is almost freakish in athletic ability.

21) Philadelphia - Biggest Needs RB, TE, WR, LB, CB

Pick - Larry English OLB/DE, N.Illinois - too easy a pick, I could see them go with Beanie Wells or Ayers, but in the end this is the Eagles, and they'll go with the best pass rusher left LB or DL... that's English

22) Minnesota Vikings - Biggest Needs OL, WR, CB, LB, DL

Pick - Percy Harvin WR, Florida - This is sort of a tossup, but I think the Vikes needs playmakers more then anything else... anywhere they can find them. Harvin probably isn't ready to be a pro WR... but he's a playmaker, and could add a scary wrinkle to their offense if the Vikes use him right as a gadget guy on the same field as Peterson. Look for the Vikes to try to move back, possibly out of the first round.

23) New England - Biggest Needs LB, S, RB, WR

Pick - Vontae Davis CB, Illinois - with value no longer in the draft for the Pats needs at this pick, look for them to take a long look at Davis and Bennie Wells, in the end I think the Pats will continue to build toward another super bowl, and take a top notch flexible CB who can do it all and will contribute immediately.

24) Atlanta - Biggest Needs DL, S, TE, OL, CB

Pick - Evander Hood DT, Missouri - The Falcon's lack of a pass rush was exploited in their playoff loss to the Cards. Hood will give them a great inside rush, and solidify their mediocre line.

25) Miami - Biggest Needs WR, DL, LB, CB, OL

Pick - Clint Sintim OLB, Virginia - Perfect fit for their needs. Sintim will shock everyone going in the first round, but in the end Parcells will look like a genius, as this guy has player written all over him. He probably will outplay all the LBs drafted ahead of him in his rookie year. The Dolphins might look to fall out of round one to the high end of round 2, because they could easily get this diamond in the rough later.

26) Baltimore - Biggest Needs WR, LB, DL, S, CB

Pick - Darrius Heyward-Bey WR, Maryland - I kicked around another CB here, as well as a LB, but I don't see the 1st round talent left at either position. Heyward-Bey is a risky pick, and probably not worth a round one selection. But he fills a desperate need on the Ravens. Another team that could be looking to trade back.

27) Indianapolis - Biggest Needs DL, WR, LB, RB

Pick - Peria Jerry DT, Mississippi - A big one gap DT to anchor the Colts line. If he's off the board and Hood isn't this pick will be Hood. Jerry will make an immediate impact for the colts.

28) Buffalo - Biggest Needs OL, DL, LB, WR

Pick - William Beatty OT, Connecticut - I rather like this pick, he's a little raw, but there is great word of mouth on this guy’s character and potential. Might need a year to get up to speed, but should be an anchor on the line. The Bills could also take a long look at Ayers or Mack

29) NY Giants - Biggest Needs WR, LB, TE, OL

Pick - Kenny Britt WR, Rutgers - a perfect replacement for Plax... a big good redzone target.

30) Tennessee - Biggest Needs DL, WR, CB, QB

Pick - D.J. Moore CB, Vanderbilt - Great player to fit their needs and a good value.

31) Arizona - Biggest Needs LB, RB, DL, OL

Pick - Chris "Beanie" Wells RB, Ohio St - Though Alex Mack is just as likely, I don't see the Cards passing on Wells if he's still on the board. With Wells off the board this pick will be Mack.

32) Pittsburgh - Biggest Needs OL, DT, CB, WR

Pick - Alex Mack C, California - If Mack gets past AZ, the Steelers will take him before the card's pick is finished being read.
No way we pass on Everette for Pettigrew.

BillsWin
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
No way we pass on Everette for Pettigrew.

Its possible actually. reports coming out of Buffalo are that they are extremely high on the TE. However, that may just mean theyd trade down to get him.

Philagape
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Reports and rumors are flying about several players, therefore none of them can be believed.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Its possible actually. reports coming out of Buffalo are that they are extremely high on the TE. However, that may just mean theyd trade down to get him.

If they do, this draft will be a bust...IMO. You take guys who can make plays that high in the draft, not a guy who's deepest route will be 5 yards down the field. This team has been dying for a playmaking TE for as long as I can remember and if they draft Pettigrew at #11, I will seriously know for a fact that this organization is inept.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Reports and rumors are flying about several players, therefore none of them can be believed.

That's very true...but this organization is dumb enough to reach for a player like Pettigrew.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Seriously...what were you guys watching because I don't see it!?!?!? Coates was a playmaking TE who could get down the field and split the seam 20 yards downfield. I remember plenty of times where he did that to not only the Bills, but the rest of the NFL. I don't think Pettigrew can do that...and there is no way I would take Pettigrew that high.
I think we are looking at the measurables.... Size, Speed, Hands, Strength etc. It isn't fair to compare college output as Coates went to a tiny D II school while Pettigrew went to a big time school with many other options in the receiving game.

Coates was a play making TE but he rarely was breaking long ones, sure he had a couple of course.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
If they do, this draft will be a bust...IMO. You take guys who can make plays that high in the draft, not a guy who's deepest route will be 5 yards down the field. This team has been dying for a playmaking TE for as long as I can remember and if they draft Pettigrew at #11, I will seriously know for a fact that this organization is inept.
I would much rather draft a DE in round 1 I will agree.

Pettigrew's long catches per season were 21,31,54, and 38 hardly 5 yard routes. If we do go TE I most certainly hope it is Pettigrew as he is clearly the best TE in the draft.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I would much rather draft a DE in round 1 I will agree.

Pettigrew's long catches per season were 21,31,54, and 38 hardly 5 yard routes. If we do go TE I most certainly hope it is Pettigrew as he is clearly the best TE in the draft.

Picking out 4 catches during the season, does not represent what he is. It's just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I just don't see a player worthy of a high 1st rounder.

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Picking out 4 catches during the season, does not represent what he is. It's just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I just don't see a player worthy of a high 1st rounder.
If we do take him I hope we trade down of course. I don't want him at 11. I would be happy with Maybin, Brown, Oher, Orapko, Raji.

Devin
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Ingtar was an NFL scout, agree or not he knows his stuff.

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 09:13 PM
If we do take him I hope we trade down of course. I don't want him at 11. I would be happy with Maybin, Brown, Oher, Orapko, Raji.

I might be able to accept that, but very few TE's are worthy of a 1st round selection and I see nothing special about Pettigrew. If we somehow got extra picks to move down and then took him, OK, maybe. However, if we miss out on a pass rusher that we could have had, then I'll probably still be pissed.

Man, Saturday can't get here soon enough...I'm tired of talking about possibilities...I'm ready to open our presents!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I might be able to accept that, but very few TE's are worthy of a 1st round selection and I see nothing special about Pettigrew. If we somehow got extra picks to move down and then took, OK, maybe. However, if we miss out on a pass rusher that we could have had, then I'll probably still be pissed.

Man, Saturday can't get here soon enough...I'm tired of talking about possibilities...I'm ready to open our presents!!!!!
Agreed get this damn thing over with already

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Ingtar was an NFL scout, agree or not he knows his stuff.

This is ignorant...I've seen plenty of posts of his where he was wrong...he isn't God!

kid mickey
04-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Andre Smith probably won't make it out of the top 10. Much less 20. If is still on the board at 20 the Lions would snag him up so fast your head would spin. I still just don't see him falling out of top 10.

MikeInRoch
04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
If they do, this draft will be a bust...IMO

IMO calling a draft a bust before the players even hit the field is just a bit premature.

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
It might not be his fault (offensive scheme, QB, play calls, etc.) but Pettigrew has not shown the red zone abilities of Coates. Didn't have a goose egg in the TD department last year?

Regardless, he is much more than a blocking TE. He is not a big play guy like a Gates and #11 is too high for him. But he is a good receiver.

SABURZFAN
04-21-2009, 10:20 PM
i would be pissed if that were the two picks in Round 1. neither one would be close to be considered BPA at their respective picks. if they trade down from the #11 pick and then get Pettigrew, i'd be ok with it then. as for Beatty, i don't think he's a 1st Round pick.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-22-2009, 03:31 AM
If Pettigrew isn't Ben Coates, he is Alge Crumpler in his heyday.

I've been watching Pettigrew for a couple of years now and he is definitely going to be a weapon in the NFL, even if he wasn't used that much in the system and by his QB at Okla.St. The things that I like about him most is that he made a lot of big catches for first downs and played well in big games. Most importantly, though, he got better every year.

He may not be Kellen Winslow or Tony Gonzales, but, if the Bills take him, he will convert a lot of third downs with Trent Edwards throwing to him--kind of like Crumpler did with M.Vick before Crumpler got really hurt.

I wouldn't be upset if the Bills take Pettigrew at # 11, although I do think that, given the depth at TE in this draft, it would be better if they could address some of their other priority needs there instead.

If the draft shapes up this way and Pettigrew is their guy, I would also like to see them trade down a few spots to take him. But, considering that the NY Daily News on Tuesday ran an article saying that the Jets are considering taking Pettigrew if the WR that they want is gone by # 17, I don't think that they can go much further down than that and still get him.

I wouldn't be that upset with Beatty, either, although I like Mack a lot better and don't think that Beatty will really be that much of a help this season. Still, if the Bills think that Bell is going to be able to hold down one of the starting OT spots, bringing in Beatty to develop into a starter at the other OT spot would give them a lot of flexibility and improve their offensive line in the future (although I think that Mack or Ungar can do that for them as well).

Overall, though, while I can see some of this working out, I think the Bills could get better value at the positions that they need to fill by going in a slightly different direction (certainly with the 28th pick if they think Bell can start and Beatty won't really be able to help them much this season).

Once Sanchez goes I can see one of the teams below the Bills becoming very nervous about whether Freeman will last until their pick (Denver, perhaps, the Jets, perhaps, etc.) and looking to trade up. If Raji is still on the board and the Bills don't want to take him (why they wouldn't, I don't know), I can see there being suitors willing to move up to get him as well. If that's the case, I think the Bills would be wise to take the extra picks and move down if Pettigrew is their guy.

As far as Andre Smith falling out of the first round goes, there have been guys who looked like cinches to go in the top half of the draft who have fallen out of the first round recently. Albeit none of them were as dominant in college as Andre Smith, but, then again, none of them made as many stupid mistakes leading up to the draft either. Smith may not be a thug like Pacman Jones, but he is at least as much of a risk to not be playing in the league in five years as Jones or Mike Williams were. While there is usually one team in the NFL that will take a chance on a guy who is a potential disaster, there are so many teams that have gotten burned by guys who have turned out to be busts recently that I can see that it is possible that Ingtar is right when he says that Smith has turned off so many teams in so many ways that no one may be willing to take a first round risk on him.

Will that actually happen? I don't know. But, given recent events, it could--I don't think that it is entirely out of the realm of possibility. Would I be surprised if it did? Yeah. But, not completely shocked and screaming--like I am sure Kiper would be!

colin
04-22-2009, 07:38 AM
i think pettigrew is a stud, but i really really want a pass rusher.

i think someone will slip out of the top 10 and there might be trade ups possible. if that's the case we might be able to get picks, get pettigrew, and trade up w an extra pick and our 2nd 1st and get our pass rusher. throw in a tackle in the 2nd and an LB in the 3rd (or the reverse) and you are talking huge need filling draft.

Ingtar33
05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
well, sorry about the vanishing act.

Not to resurrect an old post, but i need to pay up on the bet... and i thought this was a good place to do so. I really wish i had put a clause in the bet that said... "excepting of course the Cincinnati Bengals, who never pass up a bad seed, poor character type if mel kiper tells them he's good"

Oh well. Loved the draft, i'll give some thoughts on it later.