• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Ingtar33's - 2009 NFL Draft, Round 1 Mock

note: i picked all players with an educated guess toward what the team will take, not what i would draft if i were in their shoes

1) Detroit - biggest needs QB, LB, OL, DL

Pick – Matt Stafford QB, Georgia - The Detroit Lions Continue their tradition of high first round misses by grabbing Stafford. Of the top 3 QBs in this draft Stafford impresses me the least. He simply doesn't feel a pass rush, and his accuracy isn't there. His arm strength is monstrous, however so was Ryan Leaf's

2) St.Louis - biggest needs OL, LB, WR, CB

Pick - Jason Smith OT, Baylor - This one bothered me a lot, the no brainer is the OT here, but something is nagging me that it might be Sanchez instead. This team needs so much up and down the roster this pick really depends on if Detroit takes Stafford or not. It would be hard for them to pass on Crabtree or Curry here as well.

3) Kansas City - Biggest needs LB, DL, OL, S

Pick - Aaron Curry OLB, Wake Forest - No brainer, the chiefs need defense something terrible, and while OL is a need, I don't see them passing on a once every 5 years defensive talent like Curry. He'll likely play OLB.

4) Seattle - Biggest Needs CB, OL, QB, S

Pick - Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia - Simply put there is no CBs worth a top 5 pick this year, and Monroe is much better then anyone left on the board. The only wildcard is if they'll go with Sanchez. I doubt it, so look for one of the top 2 linemen of one is still on the board.

5) Cleveland - Biggest Needs LB, CB, S, OL, TE, WR

Pick - Brian Orakpo DE/LB, Texas - Simply put they have desperate need for a pass rush. With no DBs worth this pick, and a defensive head coach coming in, this looks like a lock.

6) Cincinnati - Biggest Needs DL, OL, RB, S

Pick - Michael Oher OT, Mississippi - The Bengals need a pass blocker, they get a great one. They could go defense here... but with all the great pass rushers in their division, and their terrible o-line, this pick seems to be another lock.

7) Oakland - Biggest Need WR, OL, CB, S

Pick - Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri - The raiders would be best served going with Crabtree here, but Maclin is too fast and athletic for Al Davis to pass on. He'll contribute in the return game right out of the gate, but his rout running probably isn't good enough to make an impact in the passing game for a season or two.

8) Jacksonville - Biggest Need WR, QB, OL, DL

Pick - Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech - I really waffled on this one, between Crabtree, Sanchez and Raji, in the end I think the dismissal of Matt Jones makes this pick a requirement as this team literally has no one at WR who you game plan for. Could be looking to move back.

9) Greenbay - Biggest Need DL, LB, OL

Pick - Aaron Maybin DE/LB, Penn St - The temptation will be there for them to take Andre Smith, they need a right tackle, and Smith might be a great one however smith screwed himself at the combine, and in the end the Packers are switching to a 34, and they had no pass rush last year, Maybin is far too small to play end in a 34, but he'll be able to start right out of the gate at rush LB in the 34. Johnson and Jackson both could go here instead (as they both have the size to be prototypical 5 technique ends).

10) San Francisco - Biggest Needs QB, OL, S, LB

Pick - Mark Sanchez QB, USC - This will be a coin flip between Andre Smith and Sanchez. I think the 49'ers would be idiots to skip Sanchez considering their QB situation, but stranger things have happened. Sanchez, I almost like at 10th, but I'm not sure he'll be any good in the end. If the 49er front office is as conflicted as I am about him, the pick will go OL.

11) Buffalo - Biggest Needs OL, DL, TE, LB

Pick - Brandon Pettigrew TE, Oklahoma St - The Bills have three options left on the board by the time they pick, with Raji DT and Brown DE being the other two. I heard from the grapevine a while ago, that this was the guy the Bills really wanted in Round 1 (I really hope this isn't true). While his speed isn't great, he's such a fine rout runner it doesn't matter. He's also a punishing blocker. Considering his size and hands we could be looking at filling our TE position with a Ben Coates clone. I would be just as happy with either Brown or Raji, if the Bills went that way, I don't list him as an option, but Andre Smith's character issues scare me, he's arguably the best talent tackle on the board. If Pettigrew is their guy, they could probably safely fall back to 18 or 19 and still get him (that doesn't mean he's a reach, his talent justifies a top 15 pick, just the teams behind them aren't likely to take a TE), maybe in a trade back with the Jets.

12) Denver - Biggest Needs QB, DL, LB, DB, OL

Pick - BJ Raji DT, Boston College - Talent makes this pick a no brainer

13) Washington - Biggest Needs DL, OL, LB, WR

Pick - Everette Brown DE, Florida St - The skins take their biggest need with the best 43 DE in left the draft. This might be a steal at 13... or it might not... personally he reminds me a lot of Aaron Schobel, so if he puts up any production like that throughout his career the redskins will be happy. Terrible run stopper, he's very one dimensional, and rather small. There is a risk he'll not be able to stand up to the rigors of the NFL. Andre Smith is a huge possibility here as well.

14) New Orleans - Biggest Needs RB, OL, LB, DB

Pick - Malcolm Jenkins FS, Ohio St - They have just 4 picks in this draft, and really they need the DB help. It will be almost impossible to pass on the best DB in the draft.

15) Houston - Biggest needs CB, DL, WR, LB

Pick - Rey Maualuga LB, USC - I rather hesitated on this pick, but I think Matthews is probably the best fit for the Texan's defense however it's hard to skip talent and I think Cushing is probably the best LB at USC, but in the end, I doubt the Texans will pass on Maualuga, who I think could flourish if he's put inside in their defense. In the end I think Houston could be the most likely team to trade down in the first. Their biggest needs will still be there later.

16) San Diego - Biggest needs DL, OL, S, RB

Pick - Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia - The chargers luck out and get the best RB on the board. They need OT and DL, but the value isn't there, and SD hasn't been known to reach; besides their holes on the lines aren't particularly glaring. With Tomlinson's career winding down this pick could set the SD backfield for the next decade. Could be looking to trade down

17) NY Jets - Biggest Needs WR, DL, QB, TE, OL

Pick - Tyson Jackson DE, LSU - the prototypical 5 technique DE edges out McCoy for this pick. Watch for the jets to be in the market to move either up or down out of this pick.

18) Denver - Biggest Needs QB, LB, DB, OL

Pick - Brian Cushing LB, USC - Cushing would make an impressive ILB for the new 34 the broncos are building. A good pick and sort of a no brainer when you consider the value left on the board.

19) Tampa - Biggest Needs DL, QB, RB, LB

Pick - Josh Freeman QB, Kansas St - a project pick, and a guy I’m not sold on. Personally I think he probably is a round 2 guy, and probably needs 2 or 3 years on the bench. I just don't see the accuracy either. If the Bucs feel as I do, and they like their horrid QB situation, they could go with Michael Johnson at DE here.

20) Detroit - Biggest Needs LB, OL, DL, WR

Pick - Eben Britton OT, Arizona - they got their QB, and their OT. Britton is perhaps too raw to go here, but he's got the tools to be a top tackle in the league, and is almost freakish in athletic ability.

21) Philadelphia - Biggest Needs RB, TE, WR, LB, CB

Pick - Larry English OLB/DE, N.Illinois - too easy a pick, I could see them go with Beanie Wells or Ayers, but in the end this is the Eagles, and they'll go with the best pass rusher left LB or DL... that's English

22) Minnesota Vikings - Biggest Needs OL, WR, CB, LB, DL

Pick - Percy Harvin WR, Florida - This is sort of a tossup, but I think the Vikes needs playmakers more then anything else... anywhere they can find them. Harvin probably isn't ready to be a pro WR... but he's a playmaker, and could add a scary wrinkle to their offense if the Vikes use him right as a gadget guy on the same field as Peterson. Look for the Vikes to try to move back, possibly out of the first round.

23) New England - Biggest Needs LB, S, RB, WR

Pick - Vontae Davis CB, Illinois - with value no longer in the draft for the Pats needs at this pick, look for them to take a long look at Davis and Bennie Wells, in the end I think the Pats will continue to build toward another super bowl, and take a top notch flexible CB who can do it all and will contribute immediately.

24) Atlanta - Biggest Needs DL, S, TE, OL, CB

Pick - Evander Hood DT, Missouri - The Falcon's lack of a pass rush was exploited in their playoff loss to the Cards. Hood will give them a great inside rush, and solidify their mediocre line.

25) Miami - Biggest Needs WR, DL, LB, CB, OL

Pick - Clint Sintim OLB, Virginia - Perfect fit for their needs. Sintim will shock everyone going in the first round, but in the end Parcells will look like a genius, as this guy has player written all over him. He probably will outplay all the LBs drafted ahead of him in his rookie year. The Dolphins might look to fall out of round one to the high end of round 2, because they could easily get this diamond in the rough later.

26) Baltimore - Biggest Needs WR, LB, DL, S, CB

Pick - Darrius Heyward-Bey WR, Maryland - I kicked around another CB here, as well as a LB, but I don't see the 1st round talent left at either position. Heyward-Bey is a risky pick, and probably not worth a round one selection. But he fills a desperate need on the Ravens. Another team that could be looking to trade back.

27) Indianapolis - Biggest Needs DL, WR, LB, RB

Pick - Peria Jerry DT, Mississippi - A big one gap DT to anchor the Colts line. If he's off the board and Hood isn't this pick will be Hood. Jerry will make an immediate impact for the colts.

28) Buffalo - Biggest Needs OL, DL, LB, WR

Pick - William Beatty OT, Connecticut - I rather like this pick, he's a little raw, but there is great word of mouth on this guy’s character and potential. Might need a year to get up to speed, but should be an anchor on the line. The Bills could also take a long look at Ayers or Mack

29) NY Giants - Biggest Needs WR, LB, TE, OL

Pick - Kenny Britt WR, Rutgers - a perfect replacement for Plax... a big good redzone target.

30) Tennessee - Biggest Needs DL, WR, CB, QB

Pick - D.J. Moore CB, Vanderbilt - Great player to fit their needs and a good value.

31) Arizona - Biggest Needs LB, RB, DL, OL

Pick - Chris "Beanie" Wells RB, Ohio St - Though Alex Mack is just as likely, I don't see the Cards passing on Wells if he's still on the board. With Wells off the board this pick will be Mack.

32) Pittsburgh - Biggest Needs OL, DT, CB, WR

Pick - Alex Mack C, California - If Mack gets past AZ, the Steelers will take him before the card's pick is finished being read.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Ingtar33's - 2009 NFL Draft, Round 1 Mock

I'm tripping over all these grapevines running through the Zone about what the Bills will do. (Pettigrew! Jackson! Maybin!)
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I would extremely dissapointed if we took Pettigrew at 11.

and where is Andre Smith? Not even in the first round?
      he's a top 10 pick.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

Raji?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

I believe Carucci when he says there is no way Buffalo is taking Pettigrew.

I also believe that there is a chance that no QB is taken in the top 10 which Adam Schein also believes.

So your board would really get screwed up than.

I think the Bills are going to take an o-lineman if the one they want is available and may trade up in the first if someone else is sitting there.

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            I would extremely dissapointed if we took Pettigrew at 11.

and where is Andre Smith? Not even in the first round?
            he's a top 10 pick.

You don't know what type of a terrible impression he left at the combine. Smith probably sank himself right out of round one.

Raji... dear god.. how did i miss him... one sec... let me fix this...
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ingtar33
              You don't know what type of a terrible impression he left at the combine. Smith probably sank himself right out of round one.

If it makes you feel any better I missed out Oher. Its quite easy to do

Comment

No Clay Matthews though?

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy
                  No Clay Matthews though?

where on earth would mathews go? i like him as a round one talent, but he's not really a good fit for anyone. top half of round 2 for him would be my guess

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Man I like Pettigrew but not at 11. If we really skipped Brown and Raji for him I would be pissed.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Got 1,000 ZB (just for fun of course) that says Andre Smith is off the board when the Bills pick at #11.

not only will he go in first round, but Top 10 as well.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

where on earth would mathews go? i like him as a round one talent, but he's not really a good fit for anyone. top half of round 2 for him would be my guess
                        I have him going to Houston with Maulaga either with the Chargers or the Patriots.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                          Man I like Pettigrew but not at 11. If we really skipped Brown and Raji for him I would be pissed.
                          You're not the only one. Listen.. the rumor i heard seemed solid. So I had the Bills take him.

I think we could probably trade back with the Jets and take him at 17, letting the Jets get Raji.. which i think they'd prefer.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Got 1,000 ZB (just for fun of course) that says Andre Smith is off the board when the Bills pick at #11.

I have him going to the Chargers at #16

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

fair enough. i'll make that bet.

You just don't know how badly he hurt himself at the combine. And i mean horribly. I'll even give you better odds on this one. Rather then off the board before the bills pick (at 11) ... lets drop it back to 24.

I'll pay out if he's drafted before the 24th pick. and you don't have to pay me unless he's taken after the... lets call it the 28th pick
                              Last edited by Ingtar33; 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X