PDA

View Full Version : Define the Term: "Football Guy"

User Manuel
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I have heard a bunch of criticism the past months over Russ Brandon not being a "football guy" and Larry Quinn not being a "Hockey guy." Then Jeremy White was talking about the subject this morning. So that leads me to this... when is someone officially a "football guy?" Are we "football guys?" or just fans. How does someone break in to being a "football guy?" Did you have to play the game? If so, at what level? Or is it the ability to select the right people to trust and being able to make sound decisions? If that is the case then anyone can be a "football guy" right? If this isn't the case then how can anyone become a football guy?

I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

ParanoidAndroid
04-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I have heard a bunch of criticism the past months over Russ Brandon not being a "football guy" and Larry Quinn not being a "Hockey guy." Then Jeremy White was talking about the subject this morning. So that leads me to this... when is someone officially a "footbal guy?" Are we "football guys?" or just fans. How does someone break in to being a "football guy?" Did you have to play the game? If so, at what level? Or is it the ability to select the right people to trust and being able to make sound decisions? If that is the case then anyone can be a "football guy" right? If this isn't the case then how can anyone become a football guy?

I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

A "football guy" is someone who has hands-on experience within the game of football. It is usually as a player, coach of some sort.

The Spaz
04-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Don't get me started on Larry Quinn the "Land Developer".:mad:

User Manuel
04-21-2009, 01:13 PM
A "football guy" is someone who has hands-on experience within the game of football. It is usually as a player, coach of some sort.

OK, but what else. Matt Millen played, he was awful.

trapezeus
04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
i think most of us are fans. there are a couple guys on the board that could be at the beginning stages of being football guys.

To be a football guy, you don't have to play the game, but you need to know details of positions in quantitative senses. You need to be able to see that when a DE is the position of need that the DE's you look at aren't just stat based. They are based on the techniques he uses to get off the line, if his center of gravity is what is his thing, etc.

You need to know the details of the positions so that you aren't putting a madden team together. You need ot know that if you get a RB who thrives on making contact that you have a line that lets him holes big enough for him to get through. if you have a RB that is shifty and makes something out of nothing, then perhaps you spend money on a more pass oriented OL so that your QB and receivers are aided.

Being a football guy is being able to not just recognize talent, but to see how their specific talent is going to work with your team's current strengths and weaknesses.

That's my thought. Good post. i'd be interested to see how other people respond to this as well.

Historian
04-21-2009, 02:46 PM
A football guy could be someone who majored in sports management in college, did an internship at the pro or collegiate level, and worked his way up through the ranks, as a scout, pro personnel guy, etc...

Too much of sports is about ego today, and taking care of one's buddies.

Hence Quinn moves out Larry Carriere and Don Luce, and has some idiot watching film, as opposed to men at rinks, scouting players.

The results show on the ice.

Donahoe's biggest blunder was not the hiring of Mularkey and Williams. His biggest blunder was pushing Dwight Adams and Rusty Jones out the door, and replacing them with "his guys".

Again, the results show on the field.

ChristopherWalken
04-21-2009, 03:10 PM
... there are a couple guys on the board that could be at the beginning stages of being football guys.

Although "fry guy" is probably much closer to the truth.

Jan Reimers
04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Bill Polian.

ParanoidAndroid
04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
OK, but what else. Matt Millen played, he was awful.

Playing doesn't mean you're going to be a good GM. I don't think that is the point.
A good businessman without knowledge of the game of football is not likely to be a good GM. A bad businessman with knowledge of the game is also not likely to be a good GM. You need both.

Matt Millen was a football guy but he sucked at personnel management. That's not good if you're a GM.

baalworship
04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Football guys run the Jets, Pats, and Dolphins.

The Bills have a sales and marketing guy.

This is also why we went 0-6 in our division.

sdbillsfan2
04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Vince Lombardi = football guy
Bill Walsh = football guy

Bill Parcells = football guy

There's plenty to choose from .
At this point in time , I don't consider anyone a football guy at OBD

It ain't gonna happen but, the Steeler had a coach that would look great in Red white and Bills blue!

Hello B.C.

elltrain22
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
2 words, John Madden

Historian
04-22-2009, 10:26 AM
All good answers!

SABURZFAN
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
i'm a football guy and you guys are armchaired GM's.

good answer!

thank you. :chug:

ParanoidAndroid
04-23-2009, 05:35 PM
i'm a football guy and you guys are armchaired GM's.

Originally Posted by Historian
good answer!

thank you. :chug:

lol

kid mickey
04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
A football guy is a guy who understands team needs and finds players that fit well within said teams scheme. A football guy has to properly assess what he sees through film study and make an accurate decision when it comes to player personnel. Russ Brandon is a wannabe football guy. He better start making some superb decisions to make me a billiever in him.