PDA

View Full Version : Dead weight or keeper

sdbillsfan2
04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Over the last couple of weeks ,The terms "dead weight " and " cleaning house" always seem to pop up.

I ask this only because I'd like to know why , and many of you are closer to the situation then I am. So....
Why are we keeping Omon ? Is he a special team asset ? A player to invest in ?
With ML missing time ,I never hear of him mentioned to carry part of the load. If he's a waste why not cut him loose? If He's a keeper , why not use him?

Jan Reimers
04-21-2009, 03:41 PM
We need 85 (I think) bodies for training camp. Omon was good enough to be our third running back last year, and would be our fourth right now.

Until we have 85 better players under contract, why would we cut a guy who worked hard enough to make last year's 53 man roster.

sdbillsfan2
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
We need 85 (I think) bodies for training camp. Omon was good enough to be our third running back last year, and would be our fourth right now.

Until we have 85 better players under contract, why would we cut a guy who worked hard enough to make last year's 53 man roster.

So , if he'd be a forth right now, and there is better talent out there late , then what ? When ML comes back , what happens to Rhodes ? keep Omen or keep Rhodes? Just asking . I was just wondering why we kept him in the first place.
Thanks

Jan Reimers
04-21-2009, 03:57 PM
So , if he'd be a forth right now, and there is better talent out there late , then what ? When ML comes back , what happens to Rhodes ? keep Omen or keep Rhodes? Just asking . I was just wondering wht we kept him in the first place.
Maybe we don't keep him on the final roster, but you need a certain number of players at every position for training camp. At this point in time, he is one of our top 4 RBs and knows our system, so he's a natural to at least bring to camp and compete for a spot.

mchurchfie
04-21-2009, 04:00 PM
This is only Omens second year, we need to give the guy a chance.

DrGraves
04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
or we cut him and save the roster spot for ROSCOEEEEEE

Lefty2985
04-21-2009, 05:24 PM
wow already hating a 2nd year player.. he made the 53 man roster that says something. and who knows he could be cut after training camp.

realdealryan
04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I saw this thread and I thought....

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/NFL/Headshots/140x170/6833.jpg (http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/81970190.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19318923626B4B920B3EA3F950F7A6D60965A5397277B4DC33E)

a Cowboy now, too. Hrm...

sdbillsfan2
04-21-2009, 08:28 PM
wow already hating a 2nd year player.. he made the 53 man roster that says something. and who knows he could be cut after training camp.

Did I miss something ..I didn't see anyone "hating" !

LifetimeBillsFan
04-22-2009, 01:56 AM
I think it depends a lot on what he shows in training camp.

He was good enough as a rookie to make the squad and get some playing time. He didn't get much blocking on the few carries that he got down at the goal-line, so I have to disregard most of what little I saw of him during the regular season.

He will come in as the fourth RB this year, slightly ahead of B.Hall. The Bills may pick up a RB late in the draft or as a UDFA, but they aren't likely to use a high pick on anyone who will automatically have an advantage on him in vying for a roster spot. So, it will be up to Omon to show the coaches in training camp that he deserves to be the guy who will be backing up Jackson and Rhodes during Lynch's suspension.

If he is going to be the fourth guy--and I don't know if he is eligible to be placed on the PS--he is going to have to contribute on special teams. And, whether he can is a big question because he is so small. We will find out during training camp and the preseason.

I think that this will be a "make-or-break" preseason for him and the odds might not be all that great unless he can show something on STs.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 02:06 AM
and that will have made him a wasted pick - there were plenty of linemen taken afterwards who could now be helping us out in addition to Bell who we did take

TigerJ
04-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Omon did not appear to be ready for the NFL last season and Buffalo had two very good productive running backs in Lynch and Jackson. You need three just for insurance, so that's why Omon made the roster last season.

He may have pretty good upside. It's up to the Bills to judge whether or not that is the case. The Bills will carry 4 RBs going into the season mostly because Lynch is serving his three game suspension. When Lynch becomes available after the third game of the season, the Bills may keep him or cut him depending his current ability, remaining upside, and contributions on special teams.