PDA

View Full Version : Something definitely changed at OBD

ghz in pittsburgh
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
do not strike me as the usual style for the management of the Bills.

And don't tell me it's the Ralph ordering the fire sale. He's been at the helm of the Bills all these years and I don't think he suddenly wakes up at 90 year old and is trying something new.

It looks like someone just finished watching the tapes and done study of the roster and filed players on keeper folder and out box.

So who is this guy?

Pinkerton Security
04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
its me.

BillsWin
04-21-2009, 09:32 PM
it is I, BillsWin. Master of deception and forger of pigskin prowess. :busted:

It is I who has come to rescue this mediocre franchise from the depths of its ineptitude.

rcd333
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM
somethings going down. i think a trades coming

losman2evans
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Trying to accumulate draft picks to move up in areas of the draft or just trying to get picks for players that they are planning to cut anyway.

Mitchell55
04-21-2009, 10:20 PM
What im guessing his that the Henderson rumor couldve been both of our 4ths and now Ralph wants to make sure he stock piles so he can still have some left over.

clumping platelets
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Draft choices are cheaper than veterans :movie:

OR

Stockpiling picks so they can go after those players they really want

PromoTheRobot
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
It could also be setting up contigency trades if/when certain situations arise during the draft. The Bills make it know who they are intersted in and who on the Bills is available. I'm sure it makes things easier when on the clock.

PTR

LABillsFan
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Or Ralph isn't going to make it until the end of the season. They are keeping a few faces including TO to keep the fans coming, but dumping salaries as a cost cutting measure in order to make the books more attractive for whoever buys the team.

Mitchell55
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Or Ralph isn't going to make it until the end of the season. They are keeping a few faces including TO to keep the fans coming, but dumping salaries as a cost cutting measure in order to make the books more attractive for whoever buys the team.
Or, not

DRELOVESBills
04-21-2009, 10:56 PM

that is the dumbest post i've heard so far in this thread

Michael82
04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I personally think it is more of a sign that Tom Modrak is finally the GM of the team. I also see us being very active on draft day and trading for 1 or 2 vets.

Night Train
04-22-2009, 04:03 AM
Maybe they finally realize they can't win with marginal talent like Simpson, Kelsay etc.

Better late than never. See if you can get anything for them. If not, cut them.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-22-2009, 04:16 AM
I think that they did an evaluation of the team and decided that they were going to get rid of those players who had had multiple chances to play up to their contracts and had failed to do so: Preston (via FA), Kelsay, Parrish, Simpson....

I think that they have decided to see if they can get anything for these players and, if not, at least they will have been put on notice that they are not far away from the team cutting them loose.

I also agree with Mikey, though, that they may be trying to accumulate draft picks because a Draft Day trade or two may be in the works. (There is one possibility that I am hoping will come through, but I don't want to talk about it a lot at this point--I've already mentioned it once earlier.)

Brandon has said, a couple of times, that the team had a plan coming into the offseason. Anyone who has watched what the Bills have done so far has to be wondering just exactly what that plan is/was.

Still, I don't think that Brandon was lying. I think that they do have a plan. But, that that plan has (or may have) suffered a setback or two (like Peters not accepting their contract extension) and has not as yet been fully realized. I think that they are still trying to implement that plan (or the portions of it that are still possible) and that we are going to see some movement in that direction over the next two weeks.

I think that the trade scenarios that are being floated out there are all part of setting the stage for what they want to try to do next. I don't know what that may be (I have some hopes and some suspicions). So, we'll just have to wait and see.

But, I definitely do think that there are some things that are in the works. Whether they all work out and come to fruition, only time will tell. But, I think we may see some things happening on Draft Day and perhaps immediately afterwards if things go well. I will be very disappointed if we don't.

Buddo
04-22-2009, 05:08 AM
I think they really feel like they need as much 'flexibility' in this draft, as they can get. I don't think there is much in the way of 'outstanding' talent this year, but there's a lot of 'good' talent. The money side, is only part of the reason teams are looking to get out of the top 5 picks, the other aspect of it is that they don't see the value there for the pick, whereas they see the value from about 10 down.
In the area of 'good' players, I would also guess, that an awful lot of them grade out similarly, and much will depend on who teams think will 'fit' them best.
I would also tend to agree with Lifetime, that there are players being, at the least, 'put on notice'. And they need to be. Simpson has done nothing to deserve an overdose of ego, other than be on the Bills.It's all very well having a bit of 'attitude', but it has to be backed up on the field. You have to perform, deliver - otherwise it's just more hot air from an underachieving idiot.
I would also wonder how much Buddy Nix's addition has to do with this as well. Maybe he's of the belief that he can find players who are better than the likes of Simpson.
In the light of the signing of Rhodes, who admittedly was a necessity due to Lynch's suspension, are we seeing the Bills change their policy somewhat, towards what the Chargers look to do, which is try and get 3 starter quality guys at most positions.

X-Era
04-22-2009, 05:43 AM
it is I, BillsWin. Master of deception and forger of pigskin prowess. :busted:

It is I who has come to rescue this mediocre franchise from the depths of its ineptitude.

You sure thats not foreskin prowess?

:lol:

Jeff1220
04-22-2009, 08:08 AM
I think they really feel like they need as much 'flexibility' in this draft, as they can get. I don't think there is much in the way of 'outstanding' talent this year, but there's a lot of 'good' talent. The money side, is only part of the reason teams are looking to get out of the top 5 picks, the other aspect of it is that they don't see the value there for the pick, whereas they see the value from about 10 down.
In the area of 'good' players, I would also guess, that an awful lot of them grade out similarly, and much will depend on who teams think will 'fit' them best.
I would also tend to agree with Lifetime, that there are players being, at the least, 'put on notice'. And they need to be. Simpson has done nothing to deserve an overdose of ego, other than be on the Bills.It's all very well having a bit of 'attitude', but it has to be backed up on the field. You have to perform, deliver - otherwise it's just more hot air from an underachieving idiot.
I would also wonder how much Buddy Nix's addition has to do with this as well. Maybe he's of the belief that he can find players who are better than the likes of Simpson.
In the light of the signing of Rhodes, who admittedly was a necessity due to Lynch's suspension, are we seeing the Bills change their policy somewhat, towards what the Chargers look to do, which is try and get 3 starter quality guys at most positions.

The Buddy Nix addition crossed my mind when I read the original post as well.

TacklingDummy
04-22-2009, 08:12 AM
It looks like someone just finished watching the tapes and done study of the roster and filed players on keeper folder and out box.

There's nothing wrong with getting rid of Peters, Kelsay, Parrish and Simpson.

psubills62
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
It could be several reasons. First, some of these players could have been on a short leash because of underachieving. So the current regime gave them one year after Levy left (the guy who drafted or re-signed a lot of these guys), then if they didn't step up then they're being traded.

Second, they could be doing what LBF says and looking to pull off a draft day trade or two for higher picks using a lot of lower picks.

The third options is something people might not be happy with. They could be looking to stockpile a bunch of mid-round picks (4th's and 5th's) because they want to use them. The average fan doesn't realize how deep this draft is...there are going to be a lot of very good players who fall to the 4th and 5th rounds. Those are also excellent rounds to stockpile OL depth, which they DESPERATELY need.

I think Buddy Nix and Modrak may have something to do with this. As supposedly very good talent evaluators, they may realize that this draft is a great one in which to stockpile picks.

TigerJ
04-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I think Russ Brandon sat down with his staff at OBD, including Jauron and the Bills position coaches and said, "All right, let's identify those players on our team whoare not likely to contribute to the success of the team commensurate with what we're paying them, or who may represent greater value to us as trade bait than continuing as team members." Dockery wasn't contributing commensurate to his compensation, Roscoe may represent a greater value as trade bait because of the glut at WR. You can go down through the list of the players who have been cut or are being shoppped and make a case for one or the other with every one.

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2009, 08:24 AM

our franchise, while being one of the lesser valuable teams, are worth nearly 900 million dollars. I doubt that cutting 20 mill or so per season (if that) in salaries is going to really sway the buyers..

madness
04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I personally think it is more of a sign that Tom Modrak is finally the GM of the team. I also see us being very active on draft day and trading for 1 or 2 vets.

I wouldn't say GM but he definitely has been given more power and probably is responsible for bringing Nix aboard. Fans don't want to face this but Jauron also has been given more say in personnel decisions.

M
04-22-2009, 08:43 AM
A few posters have mentioned Simpson. Is he on the trading block as well?? I hadn't heard anything ...

ETA: Oops, just found a post by Nighthawk re: Simpson...

justasportsfan
04-22-2009, 09:49 AM

I think so but maybe on the player/personel level. He's been more vocal and more hands on with the draft this year than in the past where he was supposedly working part time from his home in Philly(?) . He was even reported to being there when Ralphy talked to Jauron about his job. I haven't heard anyting from John Guy anymore.

Michael82
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I think so but maybe on the player/personel level. He's been more vocal and more hands on with the draft this year than in the past where he was supposedly working part time from his home in Philly(?) . He was even reported to being there when Ralphy talked to Jauron about his job. I haven't heard anyting from John Guy anymore.
That's good news. John Guy is an idiot! :up: