PDA

View Full Version : If Andre Smith is on the board at 11...

TheMan08
04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
pass or play...

I'd go for it. he has loads of talent. He had a meltdown. He can upgrade our Oline big time. He is far better than Oher who'll likely be gone. he was ranked a top 5 guy all year.

Grabbing Andre Smith at 11 and getting James Laurinaitis or Ayers/Maybin whichever falls at 28. I think one will. And grab Cook in Rd 2

Pinkerton Security
04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
idk, one side of me says go for it and the other says he is just another peters, all the talent but a misplaced sense of entitlement

Nighthawk
04-21-2009, 09:22 PM
He seems like a guy who is all about the money...sound like a certain LT that just left Buffalo???

Dying_-2-_Live
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
He seems like a guy who is all about the money...sound like a certain LT that just left Buffalo???

Could not agree more. As much as I hate losing out on talent, he does not seem to be a team player. PASS

Philagape
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Busts are what ruin franchises, so red flags have to be heeded. Pass.

BillsWin
04-21-2009, 09:34 PM
who else is available? are Raji, Orakpo, Brown, Pettigrew, Mack, Oher, Maybin, Ayers available?

PromoTheRobot
04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Two words: MIKE WILLIAMS.

PTR

Dying_-2-_Live
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM

PTR
Maybe, MAybe not

Kenny
04-21-2009, 10:06 PM
If he's there, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Let's face it, -other than Curry and possibly Crabtree, are there really any bluechip franchise guys in this draft?

We need OL help big time, and I think Andre Smith > Orakpo, Brown, Maybin, Ayers, etc...

Ginger Vitis
04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Too many red flags..PASS

SeatownBillsFan21
04-21-2009, 10:20 PM
This is tough but in the end i think we cant pass him up WAY too much upside.Although i think we'll go DE at 11.

Tatonka
04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
idk, one side of me says go for it and the other says he is just another peters, all the talent but a misplaced sense of entitlement

perfectly said.

SABURZFAN
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
i would take Oher over him.

jimbohastle51
04-21-2009, 11:30 PM
he is the only T i would take at 11. oher is not that much better than britton or beatty and they can be had late in the first with out other pick and honestly there is a chance that beatty will be around in the second.

Devin
04-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Smith is not better than Oher.

Hes done nothing but destroy his stock since the Utah game. Pass.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 02:14 AM
It would depend who was left and if there had been a run on Ends but ultimately I would pass.

We must have 3 solid hits on Day1. They may not be exciting. There may be slightly more talented players we pass on, but we must have 3 solid hits across the board on Day1.

Despite being a great talent, Andre Smith is a bust in the making. Despite impressing at college level, he has a reputation of being lazy, not keeping in shape, and not training or working hard. This will quickly be found out in the NFL. Add to this his post-season behaviour and it has to be a No.

He's a kind of 'do the minimum to get the pay cheque' kind of guy and we need to draft talented guys who are first on the practice field and last out of the gym.

Mahdi
04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
There is a lot of made up nonsense regarding Smith in this thread.

a) He has always been in shape. He weighed in something like 15 pounds lighter than his college playing weight at his pro day. Newsflash, every OL in the NFL is flabby. They are not 320 pounds of rock hard muscle.

b) The whole leaving the combine thing was overblown and every analyst says its not a big deal. The guy left and went home to his trainer, not his drug dealer.

c) There is more definitive game tape on Andre Smith than pretty much any player in this draft. The kid has been a starting LT since he was 15 and has played at an all-star level since then.

d) A. Smith is big, strong, athletic and has the longest arms of all the OTs in the draft.

e) He is the best run blocker of all the OL in the draft and is just as good as anyone in pass blocking. He rarely got beat in pass pro last season.

When you talk about grading out a prospect Andre Smith grades out probably at the top of his position when you factor in all the aspects of a prospect.

Kenny
04-22-2009, 07:44 AM

a) He has always been in shape. He weighed in something like 15 pounds lighter than his college playing weight at his pro day. Newsflash, every OL in the NFL is flabby. They are not 320 pounds of rock hard muscle.

b) The whole leaving the combine thing was overblown and every analyst says its not a big deal. The guy left and went home to his trainer, not his drug dealer.

c) There is more definitive game tape on Andre Smith than pretty much any player in this draft. The kid has been a starting LT since he was 15 and has played at an all-star level since then.

d) A. Smith is big, strong, athletic and has the longest arms of all the OTs in the draft.

e) He is the best run blocker of all the OL in the draft and is just as good as anyone in pass blocking. He rarely got beat in pass pro last season.

When you talk about grading out a prospect Andre Smith grades out probably at the top of his position when you factor in all the aspects of a prospect.

But did you see him 'run' on his pro-day. His 'man-boobs' would give Gregg Williams and Parcells a run for their money.

All kidding aside though, -I agree with you. The guy is flat-out a great football player.

Unlike some workout players who looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane, Andre Smith looks like Jane, but plays like Tarzan.

TigerJ
04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
I'd be inclined to pass, though I would understand if the Bills drafted him there. Hisactions at the combine and obvious lack of readiness for workouts in preparation for the draft suggest a lack of cedication and self discipline thatmakes him too big a risk for a player taken that high.

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2009, 07:55 AM
But did you see him 'run' on his pro-day. His 'man-boobs' would give Gregg Williams and Parcells a run for their money.

All kidding aside though, -I agree with you. The guy is flat-out a great football player.

Unlike some workout players who looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane, Andre Smith looks like Jane, but plays like Tarzan.

I know you were joking, but have you seen Langston Walker? he has a gut the size of the (former) USSR!

Mahdi
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
http://http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/29/images/large/C_1_1cJones1__0129.jpg

Best OT in the game ,,,, pretty sure that isn't a six pack under his jersey.

THATHURMANATOR
04-22-2009, 08:55 AM
pass or play...

I'd go for it. he has loads of talent. He had a meltdown. He can upgrade our Oline big time. He is far better than Oher who'll likely be gone. he was ranked a top 5 guy all year.

Grabbing Andre Smith at 11 and getting James Laurinaitis or Ayers/Maybin whichever falls at 28. I think one will. And grab Cook in Rd 2
For 1 I don't want an Olineman and secondly I don't want another Mike Williams. NO

casdhf
04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I'd take Smith at 28, but not at 11.

bigbub2352
04-22-2009, 09:43 AM

Great post mahdi
I think he is the most talented LT prospect in the draft, i think if we went after him at 11 and then Mack at 28 we solidified our Oline for yrs to come, we signed TO for a reason and Edwards and Lynch jackson and Rhodes need to be able to move the ball this is not happening at all with our current roster of Olineman
Chambers and Bell and Scott and Mckinney are great depth better than we have had in yrs, Hangartner can move over to LG or stay at Center and Mack can go to LG either way we are more stout and smarter on the Oline

Championships are made thru the trenchs all our offseason moves will be for not if we dont protect our playmakers

Russ use your brain Smith at 11 and Mack at 28

Mahdi
04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Great post mahdi
I think he is the most talented LT prospect in the draft, i think if we went after him at 11 and then Mack at 28 we solidified our Oline for yrs to come, we signed TO for a reason and Edwards and Lynch jackson and Rhodes need to be able to move the ball this is not happening at all with our current roster of Olineman
Chambers and Bell and Scott and Mckinney are great depth better than we have had in yrs, Hangartner can move over to LG or stay at Center and Mack can go to LG either way we are more stout and smarter on the Oline

Championships are made thru the trenchs all our offseason moves will be for not if we dont protect our playmakers

Russ use your brain Smith at 11 and Mack at 28
If we pick A. Smith at 11 then I think we have to go DL at 28. Re-commit to OL in the 3rd round and one of the 4th.

Tatonka
04-22-2009, 09:55 AM

PTR

i actually think mike williams was a much better pick.. and what i mean by that is that he didnt have a bunch of red flags around him... he just was lazy and he didnt work out in the end.. but smith has made it crystal clear that he is a lazy sack of crap with huge titties that bounce and frollick when he runs.. but he also has a ton of talent at a premier position.

i just cant justify the pick though because already it wouldnt surprise anyone if he was the ass that held out in 2 years because he wanted more money...

FlyingDutchman
04-22-2009, 10:31 AM

PTR

3 words: Not even close

FlyingDutchman
04-22-2009, 10:39 AM

well said. this guy would be the number 1 pick in the draft if it was not for the off field crap. I still dont think its enough to get him out of the top 10. For the love of god peopl STOP MAKING MIKE WILLIAMS COMPARISONS. Andre Smith is the most gifted tackle to come out of the draft in YEARS. 4 YEARS of dominated the SEC is not changing pro scouts minds that much bc of showing up a little out of shape to the workouts. When he left the combine, he just wasnt aware he had to report he was leaving. THAT IS ALL. People hear a little of info here, and a little of info there, and make up their minds without ever watching this guy play or knowing the true facts. THIS GUY IS THE MOST DOMINANT TACKLE IF NOT THE MOST DOMINANT PLAYER IN THE DRAFT. We should be so lucky to have him fall to us, and we better jump all over him.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 01:39 PM
If this guy is that good then its a pointless conversation as he won't be around. He'll have gone in the Top10.

If teams begin to pass on him, then that means there is clearly a serious problem and I would rather that problem didn't end up with the Bills.

If his character flaws are not so great he'll go to the Bengals, Jaguars, Packers or 49ers.

If they all pass on him, so should we.