PDA

View Full Version : 4 is now the magic spot

X-Era
04-22-2009, 06:19 AM
I have been wondering if the Bills are trying to make trades to move up.

I could see what they might be looking at, but I looked a little deeper and found the Seattles 4 spot may be the spot they want.

Why?

1. Det- Likely to take Stafford, but maybe they go Smith instead. Lets play it either way
2. STL- Late word is that they will choose either Monroe or Sanchez... even if Smith drops which is likely with Det taking Stafford.
3. KC- They have Branden Albert, but maybe they go Smith. The likely thought would be Curry, but he may only be a ILB in a 3-4 scheme that the Chiefs are going to build. So,

4. Sea- They supposedly covet Sanchez who could be available at 11, they also want a OT and guys like Oher and A Smith may be there at 11. If Stafford somehow drops to 4, I think they stay and take him.

If the Bills move to 4, they might have their choice of:

Jason Smith
Brian Orakpo
possible Aaron Curry if the Chiefs dont take him.

At the very least 2 of those players will be there.

And of course we would also get to choose Crabtree or Raji if we wanted to go that route.

What would it take?

Im assuming it would take our 11, our 2nd, and maybe a late rounder.

Yes, its alot to give up.

But the Bills could net the best LT prospect, one of the best LB'ers in many many drafts, or the top DE prospect and best 4-3 fit of the top 3 DE's.

At 28, we could net a player like Johnson, Sidbury, English, or Pettigrew

Personally, I think guys like Beckum, Coffman, Casey, maybe Ingram can be had in the 3rd... as could G/C like Wood, Caldwell, or Shipley.

If you think we watered down our talent at this point and want a blue-chipper... you may be a fan of this thought.

clumping platelets
04-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Move up to #4 only for Jason Smith

Yasgur's Farm
04-22-2009, 06:32 AM
No trade up for me. PFW ACTUALLY HAS US GETTING CURRY AT 11!

patmoran2006
04-22-2009, 06:52 AM
No trade up for me. PFW ACTUALLY HAS US GETTING CURRY AT 11!
PFW is HIGH.

The only two players that are even remotely worth trading up to #4 would be Curry or Jason Smith.

clumping platelets
04-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Hmmmmm...............#11 to #4.............#42 and our 3rd next year :up:

Kenny
04-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I like the idea. Point wise, it's feasible to get the #5/#4 pick with our #11, our #42, and a late 2nd day pick.

If Curry, Smith, or Monroe is still there we should do it. Plus we can fill our LB/DE needs with the #28.

jamze132
04-22-2009, 08:00 AM
We are not trading up. We should be trying to trade down...

madness
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
PFW is HIGH.

The only two players that are even remotely worth trading up to #4 would be Curry or Jason Smith.

PFW isn't the only one reporting it. Various sources are now saying the Curry could slide. Most mocks have him going to KC but the Chiefs may feel different. The few teams looking for LB help in the top 10 are looking for pass rushers and they consider Curry strictly a Sam.

I don't necessary agree with that but I do agree there's a possibility he doesn't go in the top 3 if KC doesn't trade away the pick.

3. I hear that OLB Aaron Curry might not be a lock in the top three and that the Chiefs might not have him targeted as their pick. The word around the league is the Chiefs are in love with DE Tyson Jackson of LSU and see him as another Richard Seymour type. Teams are worried (as I am) about Curry being a just a Sam Backer and not an effective blitzer. Curry is a fine football player, but it’s hard to pay the high cost of a top-three pick if he can’t rush the passer.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/sunday-at-the-post/

feldspar
04-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Nobody has traded up into the top six since 1994. There is a good reason for that. It's because of the outrageous money that the top guys get, not to mention what it would cost us in picks.

#4 sure wasn't the magic spot for the Bills in the past. Last time we went OL at #4, it was fat Mike Williams. He was the highest paid player on our team. Now he's out of the NFL.

Trading up would be dumb.

HAMMER
04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Not going to happen.

The last buffalo fan
04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not worried, we could have it for free in next year's draft.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Many GMs and scouts think Jason Smith is not as good as Brandon Alberts last year.

So we'd be playing the 4th pick more than a better player taken at #15 last year.

Makes zero sense to me.

sdbillsfan2
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM
4. Sea- They supposedly covet Sanchez who could be available at 11, they also want a OT and guys like Oher and A Smith may be there at 11. If Stafford somehow drops to 4, I think they stay and take him.

The Jets also have interest in Sanchez, If Seattle does want him , I'd say they take him at 4 . If not they run the chance that the Jets or someone else moves up and grabs him first.

Kenny
04-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Many GMs and scouts think Jason Smith is not as good as Brandon Alberts last year.

So we'd be playing the 4th pick more than a better player taken at #15 last year.

Makes zero sense to me.

True, but we have to look at everything on a relative basis.

While it's true we'd be playing the 4th pick more than a better player taken at #15 last year, what does that say about the available players ranked after Jason Smith?

X-Era
04-22-2009, 04:19 PM
We are not trading up. We should be trying to trade down...

I can understand why someone would feel that way with the number of holes we have. But Im arguing that this move may finally give us a blue chip prospect that we just havent had for many years now.

This team has been in perpetual mediocrity and its not getting better. Now is the time to add the youth (since we obviously wont pay top 5 anything) to try to give us enough talent to build a winner.

Again, the fast track is simply paying when you have a top player or making a trade for one. We dont typically do that. That leaves the draft and we simply arent getting the type of talent that can make us significantly better.

This option may give us a shot at that.

X-Era
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
The Jets also have interest in Sanchez, If Seattle does want him , I'd say they take him at 4 . If not they run the chance that the Jets or someone else moves up and grabs him first.

Thats true, my flip side is that even if Sanchez gets grabbed between 4 and 11, Sea could still get the OT that they need at 11 with someone like A Smith or Oher.

THATHURMANATOR
04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I say we completely trade out of the first round. Stockpile 2nd and 3rd round picks.

X-Era
04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Nobody has traded up into the top six since 1994. There is a good reason for that. It's because of the outrageous money that the top guys get, not to mention what it would cost us in picks.

#4 sure wasn't the magic spot for the Bills in the past. Last time we went OL at #4, it was fat Mike Williams. He was the highest paid player on our team. Now he's out of the NFL.

Trading up would be dumb.

Id ont disagree that its risky.

However, Aaron Curry is the safest pick to me in a long time. I think he would make a great 4-3 OLB. Smith may drop and hes the top LT prospect, and Orakpo gives us the top 4-3 DE, and top DE period.

It fills one of our needs with the best we can get, still leaves us with the 28 to fill another, and with the depth at OL and DL this year, we may fill yet another need in the 3rd.

jamze132
04-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I can understand why someone would feel that way with the number of holes we have. But Im arguing that this move may finally give us a blue chip prospect that we just havent had for many years now.

This team has been in perpetual mediocrity and its not getting better. Now is the time to add the youth (since we obviously wont pay top 5 anything) to try to give us enough talent to build a winner.

Again, the fast track is simply paying when you have a top player or making a trade for one. We dont typically do that. That leaves the draft and we simply arent getting the type of talent that can make us significantly better.

This option may give us a shot at that.
You can find superstars outside of the top 10.

X-Era
04-23-2009, 05:52 AM
You can find superstars outside of the top 10.

Yes, for every round you go down it gets exponentially more remote that you will though.

alohabillsfan
04-23-2009, 06:00 AM
to many holes for trading up that high, we need picks! I agree that if Raji or Smith is not there at 11 we need to drop down and gather more picks. there is a lot of talent through round 3.

jamze132
04-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Achiles Smith, Mike Williams, and Ryan Leaf were considered "Blue Chip". Tom Brady was not.

The draft is s freaking crapshoot. Yes, the chances of finding a better player are greater in the early parts of the draft but it isn't right for us to move up a couple spots as the price is too great; for the players contract and the cost of trading more picks.