PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on the Season From AP

User Manuel
04-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Team's fans will have to actually watch 88% of home games with current schedule<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 105pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://nbcsportsmedia1.msnbc.com/i/msnbc/Components/Sources/Art/APTRANS.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\zghegaa\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
updated 9:02 p.m. ET, Thurs., April 22, 2009<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633755161513830000');</SCRIPT> <o:p></o:p>
Orchard, N.Y. - The Buffalo Bills, upset about being scheduled for home games at Wilson Stadium on Sundays in direct conflict with their new business model, sent NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a letter Thursday appealing for a change. <o:p></o:p>
The Bills’ home opener is Week 2 against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Tampa</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Bay</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> at 1 p.m. on Sept. 20. In the letter to Goodell, owner Ralph Wilson suggested the game against the Bucaneers be forfeited to allow fans more time to Party in the stadium, drink beer and buy food with out the “buzz kill” of watching the actual game on the field. <o:p></o:p>
“I am extremely disappointed with the league’s decision to schedule us to actually play at home,” <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> wrote. “No fan should have to bear completely the brunt watching our team, they are just blue collar people trying to have a good time. We are just trying to run a sound business.” <o:p></o:p>
Bills’ officials called the league offices first on Wednesday to express their concern, and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> followed with a formal letter Thursday. <o:p></o:p>
“We were not contacted prior to this decision,” <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wilson</st1:place></st1:City> said. “We are flexible and would have been more than happy to work with the league to accommodate as many of our fans as possible. We even suggested selling seats on the actual 50 yard line with a view of the Jumbotron so the fans could watch real football on CBS and Fox.” <o:p></o:p>
Brian McCarthy, the NFL’s vice president of corporate communications, said the league received the letter and was reviewing it. He admits being intrigued by the idea.<o:p></o:p>
Bills season ticket holder Mikey (last name withheld to protect his identity) was interviewed Wednesday on the issue. He stated, “I didn’t even know this was an issue. I have been a season ticket holder for years and I have never even seen a play. I don’t know what the league’s problem is. Losing sucks, this is a great solution. It is certainly a better idea than, say, letting them play games in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region></st1:place>.” <o:p></o:p>
Team Executive Officer Russ Brandon was interviewed shortly after, he added “We think this is a sensible way to keep the game day experience alive and well in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>. Plus we still get all of the revenue. It is a win-win, we get our money and the fans go home drunk, fat and always happy. Plus, then we don’t have to fix the offensive line.” <o:p></o:p>

User Manuel
04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Im surprised not a bigger response...sigh.