PDA

View Full Version : The Bills need to address OL in this draft early and often

ddaryl
04-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I've been on the OL train in this draft for awhile. With or without Peters I wnated a major investment into our OL.

the last OL the Bills drafted that amounted to anything was Reuben Brown in 1995

UDFA Peters was the only other OL the Bills developed internally with any real success.

Since 1995 the Bills have rarely invested any 1st day picks into OL, and have pretty much relied on late 2nd round player who end up on the practice squad and then get a chance only to prove they weren't worth the effort.

So here we are going into the 2009 season with an OL that is in HORRIBLE shape. I understnad why Peters was traded. I'd rather that didn't happen but it did. The real kicker is we had bums like Dockery Fowler and Prreston who were also kicked to the curb for being sub standard.

NOW we are depending on a lot of ifs.... What really is bothersome is the fact that there were a couple of stud OL centers to be had in FA this offseason, and the Bills new they needed one, and yet did nothing. They stettled for a few depth players from other teams, and are also relying on a plethera of depth players they have to all of sudden become bonafide starters.

IMO if the Bills fail to come away with 2 high quality OL in this draft our OL will be worse then last year. We may have gotten rid of some sub par talent, but we have faile dto replace it.

I will be extremely disspointed if we do not come away with a T and a G/C with 2 of our 1st 4 picks.... Yes we need DE yes we need an OLB and a TE would be great as well... buut I continue to analyze our OL personel and how the Bills have failed miserably for almost 15 years to adequately address and maintain the trenches on OL.

We singed TO to take pressure off of Evans. We have a great stable of RB's and we have a young QB who can manage a game if he gets protection. Last year our OL was inconsistent in run production, and although good at pass prtoection had major breakdowns at ill conceived times. Fast forward to 2009 and that functional OL of 2008 has been replaced with huge question marks.

The Bills MUST CHANGE THEIR STRATEGY IN REGARDS TO THE OL... Our playoff drought is directly tied to our lack of success maintaining out our OL

so while so many are clamorng for a heavy D draft I am demanding the Bills also put a much larger emphasis on building nad maintaining their OL from this draft forward.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/bobdicesare/story/647463.html

Whether parting ways with the pricey Peters equates to financial prudence is secondary to the core issue, which is that the front office can’t build an offensive line. The New England Patriots weren’t going to break the bank to re-sign left tackle Matt Light back in 2004, even though he was arguably the most valuable member of the offense outside quarterback Tom Brady. Light remained a Patriot, and for far less than free market value, but the front office message was clear: We’ll get along without you if we have to.
The difference, of course, is that the Patriots draft wisely and develop talent expertly. The Bills do neither. Granted, this ineptitude spans multiple regimes, from Tom Donahoe (he of the Mike Williams pick), to Marv Levy (he of the Dockery-Walker acquisitions) to the current multiheaded monster. The common denominators are chief talent evaluators Tom Modrak and John Guy.

disclaimer: I take no responsibiilites for any typos or mis-spellings

psubills62
04-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm wondering if that's part of the reason why they traded Peters, let Fowler and Preston leave, and cut Dockery while only signing two guys to replace them. IMO, Buddy Nix probably had something to do with that. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3+ picks be on the OL, and possibly a total of 5-6 picks being on the OL and DL combined.

ddaryl
04-22-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm wondering if that's part of the reason why they traded Peters, let Fowler and Preston leave, and cut Dockery while only signing two guys to replace them. IMO, Buddy Nix probably had something to do with that. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3+ picks be on the OL, and possibly a total of 5-6 picks being on the OL and DL combined.

I would love to see a heavy investment in to the OL and DL this year, and regular investments made from here on out.

acehole
04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Still like Loadholt/Beatty 28th or 2nd round.
That load of a guard needs to be on our short
list also to ***** slap all these 3-4 nose guards
on horse hormones we have to deal with in the
AFC east.

I've been on the OL train in this draft for awhile. With or without Peters I wnated a major investment into our OL.

the last OL the Bills drafted that amounted to anything was Reuben Brown in 1995

UDFA Peters was the only other OL the Bills developed internally with any real success.

Since 1995 the Bills have rarely invested any 1st day picks into OL, and have pretty much relied on late 2nd round player who end up on the practice squad and then get a chance only to prove they weren't worth the effort.

So here we are going into the 2009 season with an OL that is in HORRIBLE shape. I understnad why Peters was traded. I'd rather that didn't happen but it did. The real kicker is we had bums like Dockery Fowler and Prreston who were also kicked to the curb for being sub standard.

NOW we are depending on a lot of ifs.... What really is bothersome is the fact that there were a couple of stud OL centers to be had in FA this offseason, and the Bills new they needed one, and yet did nothing. They stettled for a few depth players from other teams, and are also relying on a plethera of depth players they have to all of sudden become bonafide starters.

IMO if the Bills fail to come away with 2 high quality OL in this draft our OL will be worse then last year. We may have gotten rid of some sub par talent, but we have faile dto replace it.

I will be extremely disspointed if we do not come away with a T and a G/C with 2 of our 1st 4 picks.... Yes we need DE yes we need an OLB and a TE would be great as well... buut I continue to analyze our OL personel and how the Bills have failed miserably for almost 15 years to adequately address and maintain the trenches on OL.

We singed TO to take pressure off of Evans. We have a great stable of RB's and we have a young QB who can manage a game if he gets protection. Last year our OL was inconsistent in run production, and although good at pass prtoection had major breakdowns at ill conceived times. Fast forward to 2009 and that functional OL of 2008 has been replaced with huge question marks.

The Bills MUST CHANGE THEIR STRATEGY IN REGARDS TO THE OL... Our playoff drought is directly tied to our lack of success maintaining out our OL

so while so many are clamorng for a heavy D draft I am demanding the Bills also put a much larger emphasis on building nad maintaining their OL from this draft forward.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/bobdicesare/story/647463.html

disclaimer: I take no responsibiilites for any typos or mis-spellings

psubills62
04-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I would love to see a heavy investment in to the OL and DL this year, and regular investments made from here on out.

I wouldn't mind either. We could use some depth at skill spots though, like S, CB, and another OLB. But Freddy Keiaho is still available at OLB, we could always sign him after the draft. I could see our top three picks going something like: DE, OT/OG, OT/OG.

justasportsfan
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
The difference, of course, is that the Patriots draft wisely and develop talent expertly. The Bills do neither.

I agree especially with the develop part. IMO guys like Whitner ,Trent, Lee and Poz are smart and talented players . I just think they in a position to fail by the coaching staff.

ddaryl
04-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Still like Loadholt/Beatty 28th or 2nd round.
That load of a guard needs to be on our short
list also to ***** slap all these 3-4 nose guards
on horse hormones we have to deal with in the
AFC east.

I'm on the Loadholt train at #28... He's a mauler and could be a solid RT

ddaryl
04-22-2009, 03:13 PM
bump because the Bills cannot afford to continue their same practice of signing FA depth players and not drafting OL early

just follow the bread crumb trail and it is easy to see how our complete lack of maintaining our OL has killed us .........