PDA

View Full Version : If Orakpo is gone @ 11...

Kenny
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Do you guys really think there's a DE worthy of being taken @ 11, that offers much more value than a DE that we can grab @ 28?
I just dont see guys like Brown, Maybin, Ayers, etc... being blue-chip, potential pro-bowl players?

With all the talk of trading up, Im starting to warm up to the idea.
Realistically I see Stanford, and Curry (how can the best lb prospect to come out since Arrington not go top3?), and probably Smith/Monroe going top3, -that still leaves Smith or Monroe with picks 4 or 5.

The Hawks, with all the talk of them going for tackle, or QB, -just seems like a smokescreen. I dont see how they dont go for Crabtree. Other than Curry, I dont think there's a true franchise player coming other than Crabtree. And it fits a huge need for them.
Plus, other than the 32 year old WR they just signed this offseason, they have no one. I mean, other than Owens, how many WR's have actually produced after 30? I suppose Moss, and maybe Holt (though he looks to be on the decline), the league is dominated by young WR's.

I guess what Im trying to get at, -is if the crop of available DEs @ 11 (excl. Orakpo who Im guessing would be gone) isnt much more better then what would be available @ 28, then would you be willing to trade #11 and our 2nd rounder to get to #5 or #4 overall?

Tatonka
04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
it is a great point really.. i honestly dont think that any DE, including Orakpo, is worth 11 any more than they are at 28. the only concern is that i do think there could be a run on them... if you could assure me that we could get one of the following with our late first or early second, i think it would actually be better to wait.

brown
maybin
sidbury
barwin
ayers

Mahdi
04-22-2009, 10:12 AM
it is a great point really.. i honestly dont think that any DE, including Orakpo, is worth 11 any more than they are at 28. the only concern is that i do think there could be a run on them... if you could assure me that we could get one of the following with our late first or early second, i think it would actually be better to wait.

brown
maybin
sidbury
barwin
ayers
Im good with Ayers or Sidbury at 28.

Ed
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
If Oher or A. Smith are available at #11, then I think OT would be the better value.

Plus, any DE we get will probably just be a situational player for a couple years.

Kenny
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM

brown
maybin
sidbury
barwin
ayers

I agree, -but the same could be said about tackles. And it seems like the overall demand for tackles are greater than DE's, so IMO, if we're going to reach for a position, I'd rather do it for OT rather than DE.

Kenny
04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
If Oher or A. Smith are available at #11, then I think OT would be the better value.

Plus, any DE we get will probably just be a situational player for a couple years.

I thought about that, -but (and I honestly dont know) are J.Smith / Monroe significantly better/safer picks than Oher or A.Smith?

If it's a significant difference, I think we need to do the move up. If it's only marginal, we should reach for A. Smith or Oher @ 11.

justasportsfan
04-22-2009, 10:21 AM
If we can't move Kelsay, I think we won't go DE with the 11th since the others will take a couple more years to develop.

Tatonka
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
you can add johnson to my list of defensive ends as well.. for late first, early second. that late he is worth the upside of being julius peppers.

there is a pretty good range of opinion on oher.. some people dont like him at all. kirwin was talking about him yesterday and said he actually had a 2nd round grade on him in speaking with a lot of oline coaches.. he said the demand on the LT spot is so great though that his value gets highly over inflated..

he also said that talent wise, smith was a clear 1st round talent, but that his actions from the bowl game on have steered a LOT of people away from him. he said he has caused a lot more damage than he realizes and probably shown his true colors.. that said he thinks the film will get him drafted early regardless.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure Brown or Maybin could do more. I agree there is little value in Ayers as he seems as sack averse as Kelsay and Denney.

And it surprises to me, that after Lynch and Peters, people are deseperate to over look the character flaws of Oher and Andre Smith.

At least with Maybin and Brown we can have the pleasure of watching players playing with their hearts on their sleeves and who look like they give a damn.

OpIv37
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
If we can't move Kelsay, I think we won't go DE with the 11th since the others will take a couple more years to develop.

We're not gonna be able to move Kelsay. No other team is dumb enough to take on his contract.

Mitchell55
04-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Orakpo gone, bring English or Maybin at 28 if both makes it.

Ed
04-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I thought about that, -but (and I honestly dont know) are J.Smith / Monroe significantly better/safer picks than Oher or A.Smith?

If it's a significant difference, I think we need to do the move up. If it's only marginal, we should reach for A. Smith or Oher @ 11.
I really have no idea, but I wouldn't say the difference is significant. It seems like a lot of people think A. Smith is actually the most talented and was a consideration for the #1 pick at one point before the combine and an underwhelming pro day. And it sounds like some people think Oher may have the highest ceiling for improvement, so who knows.

I really can't think of any scenario where I would want to trade up though.

Dying_-2-_Live
04-22-2009, 03:50 PM
My personal opinion... If Orakpo is gone... Brown or Oher have to be the picks

The Jokeman
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
My personal opinion... If Orakpo is gone... Brown or Oher have to be the picks
I agree with you and for some unknown reason both are gone it could mean a QB fell and if so hopefully the Jets will be on the phone giving up their first, second and fourth looking for a trade up to leap frog the Broncos.

Oaf
04-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I was pretty meh on Brown before, but what what I've read most recently makes me pretty okay with that pick.