PDA

View Full Version : OL or DL at 11?

The Spaz
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
From the very beginning there was no questioning Buffalo’s need for a shot in the arm when it came to their pass rush. So defensive end has always been mentioned prominently by the draft “experts” when it comes to the Bills top pick at 11. But Buffalo’s situation has changed now in the wake of the Jason Peters’ trade. The Bills are still likely to go big early, but on which side of the line?

On the defensive side of the ball there are a few prospects considered possibilities for Buffalo at the 11th spot overall. The names have been mentioned time and again. Florida State’s Everette Brown, Penn State’s Aaron Maybin and Texas’ Brian Orakpo are widely considered first round caliber.

Orakpo has the best measurables in terms of height and weight for a 4-3 end, and went against some of the best competition in the Big 12. But is he what Buffalo is looking for?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/ol-or-dl-at-11/8df105f1-0a4b-46a9-8ab9-ae021c3751d7

Kenny
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
If we're going to reach for a position, -I'd rather reach for a position where the dropoff in talent between 11 & 28 is large.

In this case, I dont think there would be much of a difference between a DE @ 11 or a DE @ 28...
So I would go OT @ 11

Jan Reimers
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
It obviously depends on who is available, but despite the loss of Peters, the lack of any sort of pass rush is our biggest weakness. I would take Orakpo (if available) or Brown at 11, and then a Beatty or Britton (sp?) at 28.

EDS
04-22-2009, 10:52 AM
It obviously depends on who is available, but despite the loss of Peters, the lack of any sort of pass rush is our biggest weakness. I would take Orakpo (if available) or Brown at 11, and then a Beatty or Britton (sp?) at 28.

Agreed, except I would take Maybin over Brown (Orakpo before either of them though). I would not take Oher at 11 but would really have to consider Andre Smith if he were available.

Marvelous
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
The correct answer is OT because we NO LT whatsoever now. & Chris Kelsay is a hellova lot better to start at DE, then the tackles we have. Good grief I hate Jason Peters for screwing the team & raping us fans of enjoying the draft as much. As now our hands are forced to take a tackle in 1.

-So my answer is TACKLE. Even if The Rak is there. :( Not that i trust Texas players anymore..But we are really gonna be in trouble is we miss on our rookie tackle... Yes it sucks to have our hands forced & yeah im pretty ppissed about it.

Maybe Everett Brown will be there at 28,,or we can get Larry English.

---I must say that whenever i watch "Path To The Draft" and they show Andre Smith's proday workout and see that fat lard running with his man boobs bouncing al;l over and his out of shape body, i get annoyed at his poise. He acts like he's rocking a athlete's body. wtf! And how are teams gonna take him so high with him being sooo out of shape like that???? makes no sense to me.

zone
04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
DL all the way.

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 12:37 PM
OL is the biggest need. I think we have to go that way. DL talent isn't such a drop off at 28.

ddaryl
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
If we're going to reach for a position, -I'd rather reach for a position where the dropoff in talent between 11 & 28 is large.

In this case, I dont think there would be much of a difference between a DE @ 11 or a DE @ 28...
So I would go OT @ 11

this is my mind set as well.

but as long as we are concentrating heavily on the trenches I'll be happy.

but I do support making a trade up play for Curry

ddaryl
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM

I am liking Loadholt @ #28 myself.. The guy just appears to be a big time mauler and could start at RT for us. I view Beatty and Britton as project LT's that would take a little time to be NFL ready.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
We go DE first.

There is a substantial drop after Brown, Orakpo and Maybin to Ayers, English and Barwin.

All of the OTs in this draft are over-rated; none would have been taken of Alberts last year, it is quantity over quality.

At #11 Oher is a slow learner and may not contribute immediately whilst Andre Smith will be the biggest bust of the draft combining all the unwanted characteristics of Mike Williams and Jason Peters.

For me, and has some scouts and GMs mentioned, teams are overpaying on Offensive Tackles. I think someone like Gerald Cadogan at #42 could start immediately. Why?

1) He has played for a big college against some of the better DEs
2) He is intelligent
3) He is a hard worker

Andre Smith is a lazy fat lard arse who will do the minimum amount of training and will soon find out that he cannot rely on natural ability alone but will lack the work ethic to be anything more than a journeyman. Shame really.

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I gotta believe that OT is going to be the choice. I can't let it go that they moved Peters and don't have a replacement on this team.

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I gotta believe that OT is going to be the choice. I can't let it go that they moved Peters and don't have a replacement on this team.

If they were going to spend the first pick on a replacement for Peters .... then they might as well have just have paid Peters considering how much rookie contracts are for players with no experience.

For the bean counters in the front office, it would be a stupid decision.

Kenny
04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
If they were going to spend the first pick on a replacement for Peters .... then they might as well have just have paid Peters considering how much rookie contracts are for players with no experience.

While you could have used that argument last year, Peters was not going to sign with the Bills. He forced the trade.

ddaryl
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by kernowboy

drafting a T at # 11 would cost us a 5 year 23 million contract

how is that anywheres close to what we would have had to pay Peters