PDA

View Full Version : Complete Package: Pettigrew does it all

madness
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Complete Package: Pettigrew does it all

The Bills must land a starting tight end this weekend and no one is better than Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew. See what this year's big catch had to say about his visit to Orchard Park, his love for blocking, dislike for the 40-yard dash, Jason Witten and much more in this BuffaloFootballReport.com exclusive...

http://buf.scout.com/2/858448.html

The Spaz
04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
I like him but he's too early at 11 and I don't think he makes it to 28. If we like him I wouldn't be surprised if we move up to get him.

OpIv37
04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
We need a TE, but we need a LT, LG, DE and OLB more.

Unless those positions get absolutely raided before #11, I'll be pissed if the Bills take Pettigrew.

M
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
And there's someone on BB saying that he knows some guy that knows Modrak and the Bills want Pettigrew at 11. :wail: We need line help!!!

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
How about the number of touchdowns he got in his senior season? I believe it was zero.

With Owens, Reed, Evans, and Jackson/Lynch but will a new Offensive Line I'd be quite happy to draft a blocker who can be a target in the red zone once we get into the final 20. In this case I think there are guys on Day2, and I don't see the need to draft a Jeremy Shockey when a Kevin Boss would be more than adequate and can be had on Day2.

And I don't think Pettigrew is as good as the guys next year, where I think there will be 3 clear Round 1 Tight Ends available in Jermaine Gresham, Rob Gronkowski, and Dennis Pitta.

madness
04-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I like him but he's too early at 11 and I don't think he makes it to 28. If we like him I wouldn't be surprised if we move up to get him.

I agree but I'd rather move down. Ideal scenario would be for a QB to fall out of the top 10 and we trade back before 20. We could get a late 2nd or go earlier if we throw in one of our late rounders. I like the 2nd round and think that's where you get your value this year since there aren't many clear cut above the rest 1st rounders in this draft. That would give us two 2nds and an early third to address OL, DL and possibly OLB.

psubills62
04-22-2009, 12:53 PM
We need a TE, but we need a LT, LG, DE and OLB more.

Unless those positions get absolutely raided before #11, I'll be pissed if the Bills take Pettigrew.

Assuming we go into the season with Walker and Chambers/Bell as our starting tackles, I think people underestimate how much Pettigrew would help them out in run blocking. It would be fairly easy to get Pettigrew at 11, and then a DE or OT/OG at 28 and 42. I don't see there being a run on OT's in the first round like there was last year. I think Beatty, Kropog, Cadogan, etc. will be available at one of the picks (28 and 42).

Pettigrew is one of those guys that I wouldn't mind at 11. Depending on who is available, he might not be the guy that I want, but he would be a decent pick, imo.

I love this line:
"[Pettigrew] averaged more than 54 knockdown blocks per year."

Tatonka
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
i like the guy alot. i would really prefer that we trade down and take him to be honest. or pray that he is there at 28.. with his 40 time.. it is a slight possibility that he is.

Tatonka
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
another thing that may help us is that there are a significant amount of receiving threat tight ends in this draft.. that may make other teams more comfortable waiting, meaning he could be there at the end of the 1st.

madness
04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
How about the number of touchdowns he got in his senior season? I believe it was zero.

With Owens, Reed, Evans, and Jackson/Lynch but will a new Offensive Line I'd be quite happy to draft a blocker who can be a target in the red zone once we get into the final 20. In this case I think there are guys on Day2, and I don't see the need to draft a Jeremy Shockey when a Kevin Boss would be more than adequate and can be had on Day2.

And I don't think Pettigrew is as good as the guys next year, where I think there will be 3 clear Round 1 Tight Ends available in Jermaine Gresham, Rob Gronkowski, and Dennis Pitta.

How about he contributed to the #8 running game in the nation and had at least half a dozen key blocks that led to TD's. Oklahoma State rarely had to pass but when they did, they had Dez Bryant who is a TD machine and liked to run their QB near the redzone.

Let's be clear, I do not want him at 11 but if the opportunity is there to trade down or take him at 28, we definitely should. His receiving skills are underrated and I'd rather have a Jason Witten then having specialty TE's taking up the roster.

Tatonka
04-22-2009, 01:02 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/brandon_pettigrew.jpg

Ed
04-22-2009, 01:59 PM
I really like Pettigrew, but if we can trade down into the later teens and get another pick, that would be ideal. I also wouldn't mind if we traded up from 28 to the early 20's to grab him.

It's too bad we seem to have so many holes, he'd be a great addition.

plundar
04-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I agree 11 is a bit high but he should be in a Bills uni next this year.

baalworship
04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Pettigrew is exactly the kind of player we need. If we could drop back a few spots and still grab him it would be awesome.

X-Era
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
And there's someone on BB saying that he knows some guy that knows Modrak and the Bills want Pettigrew at 11. :wail: We need line help!!!

And we have a ton of picks and a viable starting option at LT, maybe even RT.

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
No way should be pick Pettigrew at 11 that is not a good idea. Please I will be so upset. I will booo so loudly and write letters to FO telling them how much they suck.

justasportsfan
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Pettigrew, Lee, TO would sell tickets though. I myself would be interested to watch them at camp. Without him I would be meh.

jamze132
04-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Too early at #11.

psubills62
04-23-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm kind of wondering how many people actually read the article versus how many replied to this thread just to say how they don't want him at 11? Did those people who say they don't want him read the article? Just curious. It was a very good article.

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 08:12 AM
I read it.

Its a typical singing praise publicity piece.

He may loath the 40yds dash ... does he also loath the vertical leap and the 225lbs rep as well?

He'll need to learn a hell of a lot from Witten as one criticism is that he does have difficulty shedding linebackers and I have never heard of anyone being able to stretch the field without a semblance of basic speed.

He will be a solid pro and probably above average, but I don't see how getting Owens has anything to do with it. We won't be able to get the ball to anyone if we cannot get their offence of the field, and Edwards won't get the ball to anyone whilst horizontal.

If we want to get someone because they can block, draft an offensive lineman.

User Manuel
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Tony Hunter did it all too. So did Reuben Gant.

Pettigrew would be a fine pick #28 or later. If they pick him at #11, they are idiots.

psubills62
04-23-2009, 08:27 AM
I read it.

Its a typical singing praise publicity piece.

He may loath the 40yds dash ... does he also loath the vertical leap and the 225lbs rep as well?

He'll need to learn a hell of a lot from Witten as one criticism is that he does have difficulty shedding linebackers and I have never heard of anyone being able to stretch the field without a semblance of basic speed.

He will be a solid pro and probably above average, but I don't see how getting Owens has anything to do with it. We won't be able to get the ball to anyone if we cannot get their offence of the field, and Edwards won't get the ball to anyone whilst horizontal.

If we want to get someone because they can block, draft an offensive lineman.

I haven't specifically heard any criticism that he can't separate from LB's. He doesn't have great speed, but he is better at route running than he used to be. No one expects him to stretch the field. He's a guy who takes short passes and runs with them because he's so tough to bring down.

I'm sure he doesn't loathe the 225 lbs bench press. Just so you know, blocking isn't even close to being all about "how many times can you move these weights up and down?" The way he blocks is all about anchoring, leverage and having those immensely long arms. It's also about passion. He actually enjoys blocking.

Just draft a lineman? Just because he can't stretch the seam doesn't mean he's worthless as a receiver. The guy is a pretty damn good receiver if you use him right. And with the WR's we have right now, he'd complement them very well.

casdhf
04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I am now the Pettigrew train. Look what Coates did for Bledsoe. I have a feeling with our current OL, we're going to need to get rid of the ball quickly. If this guy is always open, he'll really help us out ... even if he's not going to ever be a big play guy.

I'm just worried he'll end up like Kyle Brady.

The Spaz
04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
You guys remember the Steelers TE Eric Green? They guy has been compared to him by a few people.

The Spaz
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uclqH6Hy-S8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uclqH6Hy-S8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>