PDA

View Full Version : The Bill Polian philosophy

kernowboy
04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Many feel he will be the first GM in the Hall of Fame, and I've been reading up on his basic drafting philosophy. Whilst other GMs like AJ Smith have lucked out on risky characters, Polian's philosophy is it is better to take the less talented guy who is a decent person and a competitor than the more talented guy who as a person turns out to be a dog.

As he has now built two great teams, one in Buffalo, then one in Indianapolis, maybe some store should be placed in his approach. After all, he has hit home in his last four draft picks in Round 1, as well as got starters lower down in the draft.

trapezeus
04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
didn't he go to carolina for a few before to the colts. and didn't carolina get to the NFC championship game in like 2 years with his leadership? Or am i getting confused?

Throne Logic
04-22-2009, 10:34 PM
didn't he go to carolina for a few before to the colts. and didn't carolina get to the NFC championship game in like 2 years with his leadership? Or am i getting confused?

Not confused. Took a bunch of ex-Bills with him, too. Frank Reich, for example.

Polian is the best GM the NFL has ever seen. He's done it three times. More impressively, he's sustained it in Indy.

Sure wish Ralph had found a way to make peace and keep him around. . . That was the beginning of the end for the franchise.

EricStratton
04-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Bill also had the idea to take the highest ranked player regardless of positional need.

I'm not sure how that plays out now with a cap and with needing draft picks to break into the line-up sooner but it has always made sense to me.

Lexwhat
04-22-2009, 11:04 PM
...Whilst other GMs...

You always use that word.

Are you British??

djjimkelly
04-23-2009, 01:32 AM

you are correct sir

djjimkelly
04-23-2009, 01:33 AM
ralph should be run out of town for ever letting this guy go

jamze132
04-23-2009, 01:37 AM
I would have traded my wife in to keep Polian.