PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Smokescreens

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Honestly the Buffalo Bills could go in three different directions come draft day. Chris Brown is pretty adept at throwing curve balls out there for the Bills.

We could go with OLB Brian Cushing at 11. Bills brass see him as a guy who can do a lot of things. He can rush the passer, he can cover the TE, they could put him in the middle and push Poz outside. They did say that was not the ideal situation though. He can play DE, ILB, and SLB. The Bills do like his mentality as a player. They also think he is the perfect fit for Buffalo environment, being from Jersey. This could be a smokescreen.

The Buffalo Bills according to Chris Brown don't seem to be high on Everette Brown. This is a shocker to me considering he has the highest character and is the most polished in the pass rush moves. The problem I guess may lie in the fact that he is a smaller player who really didn't show up against the better teams. Most of his outside sacks were accomplished by blowing by guys and not really ever getting sacks on a bull rush. He really seems to be more of fit to a 3-4 team. Again this could be a smokescreen.

Brandon Pettigrew is a rare talent. Modrak says that this type of TE doesn't come around often. Basically labling him a one in every five year talent. The brass in on record for saying that there is a TE that is worth the 11th pick in the draft. They then went on to defending his character for his incident outside a bar a few years back. He aparantly has the Bills believing he could be a major contributor to this team. This could also be a smokescreen.

The Bills are on record for saying that Michael Oher needs some work to be a good LT in this league. They said they like his upside, but they don't like his inconsistencies. They do say that he did seem to get better every year at Ole Miss. They say he could be a top five LT in this league, but he has to want to be that player. Overall he could have the most potential out of all the tackles. Again this is all could be a smokescreen.

Finally the Bills are on record for saying Andre Smith is the best run blocking tackle they have seen in a while. They did say his pass protection was a little lacking and he may have to play RT to get acclimilated to NFL game speed. They apparently aren't concerned about what happened at the combine. They chalked it up as a poor decision for a young man to make and not much else. They don't seem to view his work ethic as a problem.

These may all be smokescreens. The Bills could suprise us all and not take a single one of these guys mentioned. My bet is that of these five guys though one of them is going to be the pick. I am honestly pulling for a tackle to be drafted. I think you gotta keep Trent safe. I don't believe that he will make it through the season if you don't get a top talent at OT in this draft. I also believe by week 6 without protection Owens is gonna implode. What a waste of 6.5 mil if that happens.

X-Era
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Honestly the Buffalo Bills could go in three different directions come draft day. Chris Brown is pretty adept at throwing curve balls out there for the Bills.

We could go with OLB Brian Cushing at 11. Bills brass see him as a guy who can do a lot of things. He can rush the passer, he can cover the TE, they could put him in the middle and push Poz outside. They did say that was not the ideal situation though. He can play DE, ILB, and SLB. The Bills do like his mentality as a player. They also think he is the perfect fit for Buffalo environment, being from Jersey. This could be a smokescreen.

The Buffalo Bills according to Chris Brown don't seem to be high on Everette Brown. This is a shocker to me considering he has the highest character and is the most polished in the pass rush moves. The problem I guess may lie in the fact that he is a smaller player who really didn't show up against the better teams. Most of his outside sacks were accomplished by blowing by guys and not really ever getting sacks on a bull rush. He really seems to be more of fit to a 3-4 team. Again this could be a smokescreen.

Brandon Pettigrew is a rare talent. Modrak says that this type of TE doesn't come around often. Basically labling him a one in every five year talent. The brass in on record for saying that there is a TE that is worth the 11th pick in the draft. They then went on to defending his character for his incident outside a bar a few years back. He aparantly has the Bills believing he could be a major contributor to this team. This could also be a smokescreen.

The Bills are on record for saying that Michael Oher needs some work to be a good LT in this league. They said they like his upside, but they don't like his inconsistencies. They do say that he did seem to get better every year at Ole Miss. They say he could be a top five LT in this league, but he has to want to be that player. Overall he could have the most potential out of all the tackles. Again this is all could be a smokescreen.

Finally the Bills are on record for saying Andre Smith is the best run blocking tackle they have seen in a while. They did say his pass protection was a little lacking and he may have to play RT to get acclimilated to NFL game speed. They apparently aren't concerned about what happened at the combine. They chalked it up as a poor decision for a young man to make and not much else. They don't seem to view his work ethic as a problem.

These may all be smokescreens. The Bills could suprise us all and not take a single one of these guys mentioned. My bet is that of these five guys though one of them is going to be the pick. I am honestly pulling for a tackle to be drafted. I think you gotta keep Trent safe. I don't believe that he will make it through the season if you don't get a top talent at OT in this draft. I also believe by week 6 without protection Owens is gonna implode. What a waste of 6.5 mil if that happens.
Id almost guarantee that any rookie OT that we draft would not even be in the starting lineup by week 6 if at all next year... and at that point why not get something we can use now.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-22-2009, 08:53 PM
I wouldnt pass on Andre Smith if he were to slip to 11. that said take what scouts say with a grain of salt

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Id almost guarantee that any rookie OT that we draft would not even be in the starting lineup by week 6 if at all next year... and at that point why not get something we can use now.

How can you guarantee this? I don't buy that argument at all. There are a lot of first round tackles in recent memory who hit the field early.

The only tackle taken in the first rd Fergusun has played and started every game in his career.

Thomas, Brown, and Staley in 2007 hit the field early. I think Brown played in the least amount of games at 13 starting 11. Both the other guys started all 16.

Long, Clady, Williams, Albert, Cherilus, Otah, Baker, and Brown in 2008 all found the field early. With Williams being benched and Baker getting hurt. Every other tackle selected in the first round played and started at least 15 games.

I think your argument is pretty one dimensional.

jdbillsfan
04-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Andre Smith would be a great LG replacement imo. He could eventually move to LT if that is a good fit.

I would do it.

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
I'd be drafting him to play tackle. Not guard. I don't think you can draft a guy that high to kick him inside to play guard. I would want him on the field day one as the LT.

ServoBillieves
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM

In all honesty I agree. I liked what Russ Brandon said. He said that Bell has been a stand out at OTA's and wants to move Walker to LT and have Bell/Chambers fight for the RT spot. That leave's either LG as top O-ptiority or, if Bell gets the spot, almost guarantees that Chambers or McKinney start there.

What I don't like is, that we lost our C (although, not a bad thing), LG, and LT, why not keep at least one side of the line together? Especially when it's our best running side. Fiddle around with it, but I'm confident in what the Front Office is doing.... It's all we really can do isn't it?

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 09:30 PM
In all honesty I agree. I liked what Russ Brandon said. He said that Bell has been a stand out at OTA's and wants to move Walker to LT and have Bell/Chambers fight for the RT spot. That leave's either LG as top O-ptiority or, if Bell gets the spot, almost guarantees that Chambers or McKinney start there.

What I don't like is, that we lost our C (although, not a bad thing), LG, and LT, why not keep at least one side of the line together? Especially when it's our best running side. Fiddle around with it, but I'm confident in what the Front Office is doing.... It's all we really can do isn't it?

When did Russ Brandon say that he wanted to move Walker to LT and another thing wouldn't that be a coaches decision? Wouldn't that be up to Jauron on whether Bell played RT or not?

ServoBillieves
04-22-2009, 09:36 PM
When did Russ Brandon say that he wanted to move Walker to LT and another thing wouldn't that be a coaches decision? Wouldn't that be up to Jauron on whether Bell played RT or not?

It was on NFL Live either yesterday or today. Russ was commenting on the Peters trade and said he'd be confident in moving Walker to the LT spot with Bell possibly starting at RT

kid mickey
04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
It was on NFL Live either yesterday or today. Russ was commenting on the Peters trade and said he'd be confident in moving Walker to the LT spot with Bell possibly starting at RT
I think that is a football decision that should be made by Jauron and Schonert not Brandon. I know that the guy wants to be involved, but he should stay on the business side of things. Let the football guys handle the football stuff. He is creating more freaking needs on this team and its almost like he is going to run this team into the ground. I sure hope that the Modrak reigns him in. He isn't exactly a pro. I haven't seen a stellar draft from him yet.

jdbillsfan
04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd be drafting him to play tackle. Not guard. I don't think you can draft a guy that high to kick him inside to play guard. I would want him on the field day one as the LT.

I never really understood the theory of only taking tackles high, but even so,

Billick and Mayock were talking about this on Total Access today. This is what they did with Jonathan Ogden. Started him at G and moved him to LT. Worked out pretty well for him.

clumping platelets
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
We still need to get someone who can play LT if something were to happen to Walker.

jamze132
04-23-2009, 01:41 AM
I would keep Walker at RT. By keeping that side of the line intact, it at least gives us ONE decent side...

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 02:45 AM
I think that this is the Front Office blowing smoke.

The interesting point is who they don't like. Could that be designed to prevent someone moving up for a player. If they say we won't be drafting someone, then another GM will think they don't need to move up?

I think the assessment of Pettigrew is grossly overrated. He might be the best of this class, but the best in the last 5 years? Give me a break.

And concerning Oher, I've read that most people think that he didn't develop as quickly as expected at Ole Miss.

However this might be why the Front Office has been so crap recently? Over valuing some players and under valuing genuine talent.

alohabillsfan
04-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Yep, Everett Brown is the pick.

X-Era
04-23-2009, 05:55 AM

Ive been a harsh critic of the OL shakeup. Its scares me. It scares me because of the time it tales to jell. It scares me because of how many new players will be in new positions, the fact that we only have TO for one year, and that the side we shook up is Trents blindside.

But in a way that furthers my point. Can a rookie really drastically improve any of that?

X-Era
04-23-2009, 05:57 AM
I think that this is the Front Office blowing smoke.

The interesting point is who they don't like. Could that be designed to prevent someone moving up for a player. If they say we won't be drafting someone, then another GM will think they don't need to move up?

I think the assessment of Pettigrew is grossly overrated. He might be the best of this class, but the best in the last 5 years? Give me a break.

And concerning Oher, I've read that most people think that he didn't develop as quickly as expected at Ole Miss.

However this might be why the Front Office has been so crap recently? Over valuing some players and under valuing genuine talent.

I dont think Pettigrew is the best in 5 years. I think he ay be the most complete TE in many years; maybe 5. I mean, I honestly like him better than Greg Olsen or Heath Miller (coming out). And I was a huge fan of Heath. I liked Vernon better coming out but hes been a bust so far.

don137
04-23-2009, 06:11 AM
I do not buy anything any front office is saying these days. It's all one big poker game before the draft and no one wants to tip their cards.

I also do not buy the thoery they appear content with Walker at LT and have Chambers/Bell fight for RT. They would not have waited to trade Peters and worked so hard to keep him if they were content.

LtFinFan66
04-23-2009, 06:14 AM

These may all be smokescreens. The Bills could suprise us all and not take a single one of these guys mentioned. My bet is that of these five guys though one of them is going to be the pick. I am honestly pulling for a tackle to be drafted. I think you gotta keep Trent safe. I don't believe that he will make it through the season if you don't get a top talent at OT in this draft. I also believe by week 6 without protection Owens is gonna implode. What a waste of 6.5 mil if that happens.Chris Brown doesn't throw curveballs or smokescreens or any of that....he offers opinion. that's it!!

Jan Reimers
04-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Just as long as another CB in round 1 is not behind the smokescreen. If that happens, I might go up in smoke.

ddaryl
04-23-2009, 07:33 AM

you don't know this. Numerous rookie T's have been drafted early and have started right away and been successful.

PLUS we are not loaded with OL talent to the point where a rookie would even have much trouble breaking into the starting lineup.

SO to say we won't get a player we can use now at T IMO is exteemly untrue, and we are desperate for OL talent. It is the biggest need on this team.. bigger then DE and LB

ddaryl
04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
I never really understood the theory of only taking tackles high, but even so,

Billick and Mayock were talking about this on Total Access today. This is what they did with Jonathan Ogden. Started him at G and moved him to LT. Worked out pretty well for him.

it's what I've been calling for with Oher. He can be a solid G for a year or so and work his way over to T. Walker is no spring chicken.

Bell has a chance, but the hype around bell is just that Hype. I haven't seen him play much and if he is so ready to play then he should have been seeing more time last season IMHO

Jan Reimers
04-23-2009, 07:39 AM
you don't know this. Numerous rookie T's have been drafted early and have started right away and been successful.

PLUS we are not loaded with OL talent to the point where a rookie would even have much trouble breaking into the starting lineup.

SO to say we won't get a player we can use now at T IMO is exteemly untrue, and we are desperate for OL talent. It is the biggest need on this team.. bigger then DE and LB
I agree with your basic premise, but I see OT and DE as virtually equal needs. I would take the best available between these two at 11, and the other at 28. We ought to get a pretty good one of each in the top 30.