PDA

View Full Version : Sabres could trade Sekera at the draft

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
NHLN: NHL Live

The Buffalo Sabres might trade defenceman Andrej Sekera at the NHL draft. The Sabres draft 13th in the entry draft and dealing Sekera could get the Sabres a late first round or second round draft choice something they don't have as they traded the second to San Jose in the Rivet deal.

The Sabres aren't really sold on Sekera as he had problems in the second half of the season and was benched for one game this season by Lindy Ruff.

sources say that the Sabres are targeting defenceman Ryan Ellis and righ winger Jordan Shroeder and have been scouting them very closely.

clumping platelets
04-22-2009, 10:45 PM
:scratch:

tampabay25690
04-23-2009, 06:01 AM
I like SEKERA....Young guy too.

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Maybe we could package Sekera, our first and maybe Roy for one of the top two picks?

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Maybe we could package Sekera, our first and maybe Roy for one of the top two picks?
Doubt it.

User Manuel
04-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Wow, I would be unhappy if all we got was a 2 for him.

OpIv37
04-23-2009, 08:26 AM
so we're gonna keep overrated garbage that won't get any better like Lydman, Tallinder and Spacek but trade a young guy who's only had one full season in the NHL?

I'll never understand this FO. They give worthless guys chance after chance then bail on other guys at the drop of a hat.

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
so we're gonna keep overrated garbage that won't get any better like Lydman, Tallinder and Spacek but trade a young guy who's only had one full season in the NHL?

I'll never understand this FO. They give worthless guys chance after chance then bail on other guys at the drop of a hat.

Jesus Christ Op.

I know you are the eternal pessimist, but before you jump all over the Sabres FO's ****, please look at who posted this.

Next thing you will be doing is agreeing with Patti's doomsday's threads in the SZ.

OpIv37
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Good point- I wasn't paying attention to the source.

Still, if there's any truth behind it, I'll be pissed.

THATHURMANATOR
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM

Really if anything the Sabres stick with EVERYONE too long...

bigbub2352
04-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Sekera is soft and passionless trade him and take Tallinder Lydman teppo Paetsh and Spacek with him

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Doubt it.

So do I. :(

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Sekera is soft and passionless trade him and take Tallinder Lydman teppo Paetsh and Spacek with him

Sekera is still very young and has made many of the same mistakes Campbell did. I am not ready to give up on him.

Lydman and Hank can go. Teppo can retire. Paetsch? Meh. A cheap guy as depth.

I would not mind Spacek back, for the right amount of money. He is a solid offensive force something the Sabres are lacking on the blueline.

bigbub2352
04-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Sekera is still very young and has made many of the same mistakes Campbell did. I am not ready to give up on him.

I would not mind Spacek back, for the right amount of money. He is a solid offensive force something the Sabres are lacking on the blueline.

Spacek is the only guy besides Butler and Rivet that i wouldnt mind back, I understand Sekera is young but he is treal soft, Campbell was a little more edgy even when he was young
I think tyler myers, or tj brennan got a shot at being a NHL Dman next yr i say if we can get a 2nd rd pick for Sekera do it and replace him with a sturdier Dman

Dr. Pepper
04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Good point- I wasn't paying attention to the source.

Still, if there's any truth behind it, I'll be pissed.

there isn't. we should understand the sabres well enough to know that they hold onto their homegrown prospects WAAAAAAY too long (kalinin, novotny, and currently tallinder, macarthur, and paille). sekera wont be moved, because regier and quinns egos would never allow for them to admit a mistake. plus, sekera is one of the few players who actually has upside. finally, we need bodies at this point, not picks.

Nighthawk
04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
I think it's time this FO stops worrying about drafting young guys and actually goes out and gets some proven veteran talent. The last thing I'd be looking to do is move a player for draft picks. If, and that's a big if, this is true, then it would be a clear indication that this organization still hasn't learned a damn thing.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 03:03 AM
I think we are to trade Sekera, we need to trade him for either a young prospect or a young starter just coming into their own. We could package him with Zagrapan to a deal that has had some success with Slovaks.

What I think the Sabres need to do, is if we are to mix up the international players - is look to develop them from a single market, like the Red Wings do with Sweden. In this way when young guys come over, they settle more readily and develop more effectively and like with players like Zetterberg you can get some real steals.

As for who to trade Sekera and Zagrapan for? Sami Lepisto of the Capitals

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2009, 05:52 AM
I think it's time this FO stops worrying about drafting young guys and actually goes out and gets some proven veteran talent. The last thing I'd be looking to do is move a player for draft picks. If, and that's a big if, this is true, then it would be a clear indication that this organization still hasn't learned a damn thing.

Getting veteran talent is not as easy as you make it sound. Can they trade for a guy or two? Probably. But they won't be able to get many, unless they get guys with one year left on their deal.

Dozerdog
04-24-2009, 08:13 AM
This makes no sense on so many levels.

The cap is going down, so first contract guys who can suit up are in huge demand. IF someone was going to trade for Sekera, they would be doing so to unload a higher salary- not draft picks. The Sabres are in need of lower priced guys who can play.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Getting veteran talent is not as easy as you make it sound. Can they trade for a guy or two? Probably. But they won't be able to get many, unless they get guys with one year left on their deal.

And it is much easier then you make it sound. The problem is, this organization has to get over thinking so highly of their players (which really aren't that good) and they have to be willing to trade players. This talk that it just isn't easy to trade players is garbage and an excuse that this organization has loved to use. Let's stop with the excuses and get things done.

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2009, 09:53 AM
And it is much easier then you make it sound. The problem is, this organization has to get over thinking so highly of their players (which really aren't that good) and they have to be willing to trade players. This talk that it just isn't easy to trade players is garbage and an excuse that this organization has loved to use. Let's stop with the excuses and get things done.

So our players are not very good and you expect the Sabres to trade these not very good players for very good players.

That makes no sense whatsoever. And you act as if the Sabres are the only that does not make mass trades. Trades do occur, but with the cap, the possible decrease in the cap, the length of deals and hightened value of young players it is not something that is just a matter of wanting to do something and waving a magic wand.

Who do you propse they go after? Who do they get rid of? How will you react if they dump Derek Roy (as an example) and he goes on to be a point + a game guy for another 5 years?

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 09:57 AM
So our players are not very good and you expect the Sabres to trade these not very good players for very good players.

That makes no sense whatsoever. And you act as if the Sabres are the only that does not make mass trades. Trades do occur, but with the cap, the possible decrease in the cap, the length of deals and hightened value of young players it is not something that is just a matter of wanting to do something and waving a magic wand.

Who do you propse they go after? Who do they get rid of? How will you react if they dump Derek Roy (as an example) and he goes on to be a point + a game guy for another 5 years?

All I'm saying is that you are WAAYYYY to wrapped up in the excuse that this team always uses. I would take a bag of pucks to get Hecht off this roster...I doubt this moronic FO would, even though it would be smart. No, I don't think these guys are as great as we are sold by this organization, but they do have some value. What they really need to do is target a player and do whatever it takes to get him...no matter the cost in picks/players. Besides Miller, there are no untouchables on this team.

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2009, 10:06 AM
All I'm saying is that you are WAAYYYY to wrapped up in the excuse that this team always uses. I would take a bag of pucks to get Hecht off this roster...I doubt this moronic FO would, even though it would be smart. No, I don't think these guys are as great as we are sold by this organization, but they do have some value. What they really need to do is target a player and do whatever it takes to get him...no matter the cost in picks/players. Besides Miller, there are no untouchables on this team.

I am not disagreeing about Hecht. But it is also very easy for you or anybody else to sit back and say "make a trade dammit!' without knowing what is out there. And again, you seem to think our team is garbage, but the players have value to bring in the all stars that will make this team great without providing an example.

I am not saying it is impossible to make moves, just that it not as simple as wishing it. Darcy is to patient at times, but has shown a willingness (Zubrus, Drury, Briere) to make a move when necessary.

And if you start targeting guys and letting the other team create the asking price by giving up whatever it takes, you are not running a very good franchise.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 10:44 AM
I am not disagreeing about Hecht. But it is also very easy for you or anybody else to sit back and say "make a trade dammit!' without knowing what is out there. And again, you seem to think our team is garbage, but the players have value to bring in the all stars that will make this team great without providing an example.

I am not saying it is impossible to make moves, just that it not as simple as wishing it. Darcy is to patient at times, but has shown a willingness (Zubrus, Drury, Briere) to make a move when necessary.

And if you start targeting guys and letting the other team create the asking price by giving up whatever it takes, you are not running a very good franchise.

You need to stop twisting my words to fit your arguement. Nowhere did I say our players were good enough to bring in All-Stars. They have value to bring in other players, the level of the other players being comparative to the level of the players being traded. The same level of talent can be a totally different type of player. I don't mind having a discussion with you, but please stop spinning or adding words to my arguement just to make your point.

Also, THIS FRANCHISE isn't very good, so that is kind of a pointless arguement.

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Point is you keep saying that our players are not very good, but you want them traded for solid veterans.

Perhaps, I exagerrated a bit, but the basic point is accurate.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Point is you keep saying that our players are not very good, but you want them traded for solid veterans.

Perhaps, I exagerrated a bit, but the basic point is accurate.

Just because I don't believe they are as good as this organization thinks they are does not mean you can't trade them for somebody. Saying that there is absolutely no way to do that just doesn't make sense. I'm not saying trade Hecht for Lecavalier, but you can trade him for a different type of player and make this team better. That is something that could be done. The willingness to do this is where this organzation fails...they're in love with their players way too much and make every excuse to why they can't move them. IMO this team needs a complete overhaul and cleansing of that lockerroom to be successful. That is the only way we see this team succeed. Until this FO realizes that what they now believe is the way to operate doesn't work, then we will continue to see mediocre play from this team.

chernobylwraiths
04-24-2009, 10:40 PM

Spacek has a good shot and that's it. He is NOT a solid offensive OR defensive defenseman IMO. He is paid WAY too much for his crappy blueline play and doesn't help enough offensively. He doesn't get his shot through enough.

I agree with the rest.

chernobylwraiths
04-24-2009, 10:46 PM
As to another point, trading Sekera would be very foolish IMO. Sekera played awful at times this past season, but he is one of the few defensemen we have that has offensive talent and can move the puck. I want a tougher defense too, but to think we would be good with a defensive core of all Rivets or McKees is dumb. We need guys who can move the puck, even if they aren't the toughest guys in the world. We don't need a whole team of tough guys, a few more would be great though.