PDA

View Full Version : Lions in final negotiations with QB Stafford

Lexwhat
04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/22/lions-in-final-negotiations-with-stafford/

The Lions are in negotiations to finalize a contract with Georgia QB Matthew Stafford, who would be the No. 1 overall draft pick Saturday.

An accord could be reached as soon as Wednesday night.

<script>new nfl.widgets.VideoPlayer({ contentId: "09000d5d80fec654", related: "home", adSetting: "1", playerName: "blog_embedded", size: "inline", uniqid: "09000d5d80fec654"})</script><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://static.nfl.com/static/site/flash/video/inline-video-player.swf" style="" id="v09000d5d80fec654swf" name="v09000d5d80fec654swf" bgcolor="#000000" quality="true" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" flashvars="uniqid=v09000d5d80fec654swf&contentId=09000d5d80fec654&related=home&playerName=blog_embedded&adSetting=1" width="384" height="216">

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said the team hoped to have a contract completed for the top selection — without naming him — during a pre-draft news conference Tuesday (http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fe538d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true).

Lions officials have been negotiating with Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, who not only represent Stafford but also Baylor OT Jason Smith. Smith is believed to be an option for the Lions should a deal with Stafford not materialize.

psubills62
04-22-2009, 11:07 PM
According to rotoworld.com, the Lions actually have a contract ready with Aaron Curry if negotiations with Stafford break down. It doesn't sound like they are considering Smith as much now...it probably hurts Smith that he has the same agents as Stafford.

From the sounds of it, if Stafford doesn't sign by Friday, then the Lions will sign Curry to be the first pick in the draft.

FlyingDutchman
04-22-2009, 11:23 PM
congrats detroit, looks like youre about to draft yet another bust

jamze132
04-23-2009, 01:35 AM
The Lions are ****ing ******ed if they draf a QB this year #1 overall, especially Stafford.

BillsWin
04-23-2009, 01:56 AM
I could have told you this hours and hours ago... But I didn't!!!!

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 03:15 AM
If they go Jason Smith, that could really shake the draft up.

Detroit - Jason Smith
St Louis - Eugene Monroe
KC Chiefs - Aaron Curry or BJ Raji
Seattle - Matt Stafford
Cleveland - Crabtree or Orakpo
Cincinatti - Andre Smith
Oakland - Jeremy Maclin
Jacksonville - Sanchez, Crabtree, Raji or Curry
Green Bay - Oher, Raji or Orakpo
San Franciso - Oher or Sanchez

I could see how Orakpo might fall to us.

I cannot see the Chiefs, Jags and Packers passing on Raji, but I can see how Curry might slide.

don137
04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I think Stafford taken by the Lions helps the Bills because it increases the value of Sanchez and increases the likelihood that Sanchez is taken before Buffalo picks. If he is not taken by Jacksonville the likelihood that someone trades up (i.e. the Jets) increases because they want to make sure they get their franchise QB and not lose him.
Some say Orakpo could fall to us if their is a run for the top 4 OTs and Casserly said Curry could fall to #12 if he is not taken by KC.