PDA

View Full Version : Should the Bills do this?

kid mickey
04-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Trade next years first rounder for a first rounder in the mid 20's giving them 3 first round picks? I think that they could do something like this and hit every starting need they have OT, DE, OLB, OG, TE within the first three rounds. Every other selection can be made on BPA available. I think that would be an awesome way to finish building this team.

SABURZFAN
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
no

psubills62
04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
No. To me, the only way you even consider doing that is if the pick you get this year is going to be better than the pick you'll have next year. We won't be in the mid-20's next year.

seanbillsfan
04-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Trade next years first rounder for a first rounder in the mid 20's giving them 3 first round picks? I think that they could do something like this and hit every starting need they have OT, DE, OLB, OG, TE within the first three rounds. Every other selection can be made on BPA available. I think that would be an awesome way to finish building this team.
Good idea. Then we can trade our 3rd and 5th in 2013 for a 2nd in 2014

DBrown77
04-23-2009, 10:19 AM
seriously? come on man

ddaryl
04-23-2009, 10:20 AM
no trading away picks is rarely wise

kid mickey
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
If the right talent is there say Brandon Pettigrew at 22-24 range instead of trading up to get there just trade next years first. They did it for Losman. I think they could do it for Pettigrew. I would. If this team makes the play-offs they aren't going to have a high pick any way. Plus with the economic times why would you want a high pick next year? I think if the right talent is around it should be done. There is a lot of value at these picks this year.

mikemac2001
04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I honestly dont think its that bad of an idea

If its a player we really want who slipped down the board

But i wouldnt do it for a TE

Maybe an DE or OT

thats about it.......i like the idea

psubills62
04-23-2009, 10:37 AM
If the right talent is there say Brandon Pettigrew at 22-24 range instead of trading up to get there just trade next years first. They did it for Losman. I think they could do it for Pettigrew. I would. If this team makes the play-offs they aren't going to have a high pick any way. Plus with the economic times why would you want a high pick next year? I think if the right talent is around it should be done. There is a lot of value at these picks this year.

How many people expect us to reach the playoffs? There is certainly a lot of value, but what if we pick at #8-9 next year? We could get a stud for a lower price than the top 5 have to pay. Not to mention there's a chance of the NFL instituting limits on rookie contracts sometime soon.

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM

No, because in that scenario we will have to do what the Panthers did last year. Give up a Round2 and next years Round1.

If we are drafting at #15 next year, then we will have give up #42 and #15 for a #22. The argument will be that we will be drafting later than #22 next year but I don't think Pettigrew is going to be that sort of difference maker, and next year at #15 we might have a chance of a player like Jermaine Gresham who could be an even better fit for the offence.

The other problem is these economic times you'd be having to pay for three 1st rounders in one year.

Whilst I can see the advantage of doing so if there was a can't miss QB or LT or RB who slid, the question would have to be why have they slid. The Browns did such a move with Brady Quinn but lucked out because Anderson started. If he hadn't and Quinn had a tough 1st year it would have been a very challenging time for them.

As it stands why would Minnesota at #22 and Atlanta #24 give up a pick when they both need a starting TE? And I am certainly not in favour of giving extra draft picks to the Patriots.

Mr. Pink
04-23-2009, 07:18 PM
No chance...

LOTS of better talent available next year...

Sam Bradford - if Trent falls apart.
Taylor Mays S
George Selvie DE
Joe Haden CB - if McGee goes
Carlos Dunlap DE
Jermaine Gresham TE
Brandon Spikes LB

For examples, obviously some will fall and others will rise but those are some of the top names next year who'll be available.

realdealryan
04-23-2009, 07:25 PM

Should they? As in...you work in the front office, they received this offer, and asked you to ask us what we think?

kid mickey
04-23-2009, 07:35 PM
No I am not in the FO. I am asking you as a fan should the Bills try something like this if the right talent is on the board?

realdealryan
04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
No I am not in the FO. I am asking you as a fan should the Bills try something like this if the right talent is on the board?

a) I don't trust our FO with three first round picks, let alone two (see McCargo, John).

b) We will not be "finished" building this team after this weekend.

ServoBillieves
04-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Uncapped year = no, you keep us competitive through the draft since Ralph's money is shoved up his own ass.

kid mickey
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
You are probably right.

DrGraves
04-23-2009, 07:52 PM
The Bills are never in a win now mentality.... he are always in a lets win 2-3 years from now mentality.

Goobylal
04-23-2009, 08:25 PM
I was actually thinking of the opposite: trading #28 for a 1st next year, when the draft will be stronger.

jamze132
04-24-2009, 05:40 AM
I understand your thought process on this but I disagree for this reason. We are going to have a new regime next year leading our players into battle. I do not want them to get off on the wrong foot by not having a first rounder.

What I would do, and this is my opinion, I would trade both 1st rounders we have and our second and third rounders this year for next year's first rounders. If we could have like 4 first rounders next year, that would be sweet. You can go ahead and lock us in for a top 3 draft pick next year so we should have the pick of the litter. LOL I just figure we are going to lose at least 9-10 games this year.