PDA

View Full Version : Notice for Pat Moran

ghz in pittsburgh
04-23-2009, 02:30 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/648695.html

Substitue the name Brian Fisher to Pat Moran, maybe we'll read a similar article in 2015.

justasportsfan
04-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Is that draftboy?

patmoran2006
04-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Scouting??

The only thing I'm interested in scouting are some good golf courses my man..

patmoran2006
04-23-2009, 02:48 PM
LOL, anyway-- I got Bflo News ink in 1994 !!

From the Buffalo News Archives:

<!-- END /PubSys/Common/breadcrumb.comp --><!-- Financial Content Here -->

News Library

<!--
The Buffalo News{PUBLICATION2}

-->ENTREPRENUER FINALLY CATCHES LIFELONG DREAM PUBLISHER OF YANKEE REPORT DOES IT ALL HIMSELF ON HERTEL

Published on July 21, 1994
Author: KEN BAKER - News Staff Reporter
© The Buffalo News Inc. <!--Section: LOCAL
--><!-- --><!--Page: TRK

-->

Patrick Moran has never questioned his sense of destiny.

"I'm not religious, but I have real strong feelings about what I'm doing," said Moran, 23, a North Buffalo resident and publisher of The Yankee Report, a twice-monthly magazine covering the New York Yankees. "It's something I have always wanted to do." Emboldened with an unyielding drive to realize his goal, Moran began publishing in April. A $10,000 small business loan and a Macintosh computer started the venture.

"It was worth the risk," said Moran, who dropped out of D'Youville College after three years because of financial reasons. "I figure if I can make a living off doing something I love, it's worth it. That's a pretty good life to me."

Working out of a spare bedroom in his Hertel Avenue apartment, Moran represents a new breed of publisher. With basic

word-processing computer programs, they turn their homes into publishing houses.

Although the tabloid-style report filled with team statistics and player profiles has a modest circulation -- 13,000, with 75 percent distributed in Western New York -- it has grown substantially since its first issue. That inaugural 12-page newsletter sold only about 500 copies. However, 60- to 70-hour work weeks paid off two weeks ago. Moran, who quit his job at a convenience store to launch the magazine, said he finally made a profit.

"I still get worried," said the unassuming Moran. "I do everything. It's my life right now."

Moran said he plans to purchase his own laser printer and photo scanner, equipment he pays to use at a nearby photocopy store.

Frank Scordato, a friend of Moran's since childhood, said Moran has always had a penchant for sports writing.

When he was 8, he kept detailed statistics on a game called step ball, which involved throwing a tennis ball against porch steps in Moran's West side neighborhood, Scordato said.

"We would play for hours while Patrick wrote down each kid's record in his notebook," said Scordato, 25. "You could ask him a question about any player in any sport and he will give you the answer."

The Yankee Report's competition is a comparable-sized monthly called the Bronx Bomber and Yankee Magazine, an official team publication with a circulation of 60,000.

Yankee Magazine's publications coordinator, Karen McGovern, said she was unaware of Moran's magazine until last week.

"Someone called and had a question about some magazine in Buffalo," Ms. McGovern said. "They confused us with them."

The team's media-relations staff also has just begun to recognize Moran's periodical.

"When I started out, it was only a newsletter," Moran said. "So when I originally tried to get credentials the Yankees wouldn't let me."

Moran said he now flies to New York City at least twice a month to watch games and interview players.

His visits to Yankee Stadium are a homecoming for Moran, who, until he was 5, lived in the Bronx, a few miles from the stadium.

Moran's father, a Bronx native who died in 1990, continues to be his inspiration. "We used to watch Yankees games all of the time when I was a kid," he said.

"The reason I became a Yankees fan was my father."

Robert L. Smith/Buffalo news His love of the Yankees

led Patrick Moran to publish the Yankee Report.

jamze132
04-24-2009, 05:51 AM
:clap: