PDA

View Full Version : Pettigrew at 28?

X-Era
04-23-2009, 05:05 PM
I can see a path!

I think if we dont take him at 11, he easily drops to 17 and then...

17) Jets- First off, I really think the QB-less Jets will either move up from 17 to take Sanchez or take Freeman at 17. Regardless, they drafted Keller just last year, Pettigrew doesn't make sense.

18) Den- has Sheflller, no need.
19) Bucs- They supposedly want to move Alex Smith but may not get a suitor and they traded for Winslow, they are not taking 'Grew
20) Det- they don't have a strong TE at this point, but they also need everything, if they go Stafford, either D or a OT makes sense. I cant see them spending their next pick on a TE
21) Philly- Its a real possibility and probably the biggest worry before us. Either Wells or Moreno (who they covet) may be there.
22) Minn- Again, no clear cut stud TE, but they want a WR, have talked to Harvin, and maybe Britt, Bey, or Nicks is the pick here.
23) Pats- They have Watson, I don't see it. Id see a S or other needs.
24) ATL- Just traded a high pick for Gonzo, no way they also draft 'Grew.
25) Fins- They have Fasano and use him and love him... no need.
26) Bal- Cut McAllister... this is a defense first team, they are likely going CB, maybe WR, they have Heap... theres a possibility, but I think its slim.
27) Colts- They have Clark, DL, WR, RB, LB seem like ther main needs... again, I dont see it.

And Pettigrew, the #1 TE, drops to us.

Why do we take Pettigrew?
1) We know we have our starting OT's already on this team. Walker at LT, Chambers the likely favorite at RT or maybe an emerging Bell. Depth can come from a later round.
2) We could go LB or DE based on what we did at 11 (my gut says its a DE at 11). That makes a LB like Mathews, English (not a great fit at 4-3), or Sintim (a bit high for my blood) options.
3) We have a shakeup on our OL, why not add the best blocking TE and a guy whos better at receiving than Royal day one.

I wont be unhappy if we dont take him at 28 and take one later, but I really like what he brings to the table and would be ecstatic if we took him at 28.

By the way, I will be giving my wants/dont wants for our possibilities at our picks soon.

It makes sense, I can see a path, dont be surprised.

nateodoms'bff
04-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Stop. Its not happening.

The Spaz
04-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Stop. Its not happening.

:barney:

X-Era
04-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Stop. Its not happening.

Ralph Wilson, is that you?

:gtfo2:

TigerJ
04-23-2009, 05:19 PM
My reservations about Pettigrew are the same at #28 as they are at 11. He's not real fast. Still, I recognize he has good hands, is a solid blocker, and a great route runner. He will get open despite a lack of elite speed. The Bills could do a lot worse than pick Pettigrew at #28. I won't scream or pull my hair out if it happens.

seanbillsfan
04-23-2009, 05:30 PM
I hope we dont take a TE at all in the draft :2cents:

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 05:35 PM
im against drafting TEs that early. The lines are our biggest need. There have been no TEs taken early in years that have really panned out to be much.

The Spaz
04-23-2009, 05:36 PM
im against drafting TEs that early. The lines are our biggest need. There have been no TEs taken early in years that have really panned out to be much.

Keller.

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Keller.

48 catches and 3 touchdowns is something derek fine cant do and therefore we should spend a first round pick?

The Spaz
04-23-2009, 05:40 PM
48 catches and 3 touchdowns is something derek fine cant do and therefore we should spend a first round pick?

Huh?

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Huh?

those are dustin kellers stats

elltrain22
04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking when I saw Atlanta acquired Tony Gonzales. I also think we have a very good chance of Pettigrew slipping to that 28 spot. If not, we'll have some other good options

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 05:49 PM
#18 - he might be a more suitable TE for Denver's system than Scheffler
#19 - agreed the Bucs have no need
#20 - I disagree. With Stafford on board, they have two serviceable tackles in Backus and Cherilus. A TE is something that a new rookie QB would love to have as a get out of jail card. Looking at their signins in free agency, their next biggest need is on the DL, but they may feel they get decent value here at 33.
#21 - The Eagles could do with a TE to push Celek. Andy Reid does not have a history of first round selections of RBs
#22 - A TE could definitely help the running game at Minnesota, especially if they think they can get someone like Loadholt in R2
#23 - With the Patriots, Petrigrew fits their system but they have Watson and Dave Thomas on board. I am not certain but I think this might be a contract year for Watson.
#24 - The Falcons now have no need
#25 - nor do the Dolphins
#26 - nor the Ravens unless the are planning to move on Heap
#27 - nor do the Colts.

I think the chances that Pettigrew will be taken are with Denver, Detroit, Philadelphia and Minnesota with possibly New England.

X-Era
04-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Keller.

Olsen, Keller, Winslow, and Clark, and Miller might disagree.

X-Era
04-23-2009, 05:53 PM
#18 - he might be a more suitable TE for Denver's system than Scheffler
#19 - agreed the Bucs have no need
#20 - I disagree. With Stafford on board, they have two serviceable tackles in Backus and Cherilus. A TE is something that a new rookie QB would love to have as a get out of jail card. Looking at their signins in free agency, their next biggest need is on the DL, but they may feel they get decent value here at 33.
#21 - The Eagles could do with a TE to push Celek. Andy Reid does not have a history of first round selections of RBs
#22 - A TE could definitely help the running game at Minnesota, especially if they think they can get someone like Loadholt in R2
#23 - With the Patriots, Petrigrew fits their system but they have Watson and Dave Thomas on board. I am not certain but I think this might be a contract year for Watson.
#24 - The Falcons now have no need
#25 - nor do the Dolphins
#26 - nor the Ravens unless the are planning to move on Heap
#27 - nor do the Colts.

I think the chances that Pettigrew will be taken are with Denver, Detroit, Philadelphia and Minnesota with possibly New England.

I wont say BS, but i think its more realistic that at least 2 of the teams you list really arent even seriously thinking about Pettigrew.

The Spaz
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM

See I just named one there are many others. I am for Pettigrew.

nateodoms'bff
04-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Ugh. Please give it a rest.

This is such a silly conversation. Trent Edwards has weapons. He has Lee Evans (who i personally don't like), T.O., Lynch and Jackson. Plus Fine and Schouman, who are perfect for what the Bills need at TE.

If you honestly think that he solves any perceived hole on the O-line, or fixes the run defense, then you sir need to google football, and read up.

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 06:00 PM

what has Olsen or Keller done? Winslow had 1 good season. Ill give you Clark and Miller. Should I start a list of those who HAVENT done anything? And drafting of clark and Miller were done on teams that were well built already. Those teams had the luxury of drafting a TE that early. We absolutely do not.

kernowboy
04-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Personally I don't want a TE in this stage of Buffalo's transition.

This has to be a meat and potatoes draft as far as I'm concerned, and we can add a little gravy in 2010. Take a TE in the middle rounds by all means but not on Day1.

If we take a TE on Day1, what it says to me is that the front office, scouting department and coaches, think we are much closer than I think we are.

We are not a 7-9 team just tapping its potential and ready to become a 11-5 team; we are a 7-9 team that may have reached the full extent of its potential and therefore we need to go back to basics rather than apply fancy dressings all the time.

BillsWin
04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Here is the thing. He is not worth the 11th pick, but he is worth the 28th pick. Even more than that I think he brings more to the Bills than anyone else. As much as I love a draft where we go, Orakpo (or Raji) a OT then Jared Cook, I like Brandon Pettigrew. I know him. Seen him play with my own two eyes in Stillwater and I love him. Absolutely love him. There was one game against Texas Tech that turned into a shootout and he caught the game-winning TD in September of 2007. Weaved passed 5-6 defenders and strolled into the endzone. It was amazing. For a "blocking tight end" that was one of the best things I have ever seen out of a tight end. Caused complete pandemonium in the stands. Buffalo could use something like that.

I would be ecstatic. Elated and overwhelmed if we went Orakpo or Brown or Raji then Pettigrew at 28 and an OT in round 3.

This weekend is going to be alot of fun.

btw, just for kicks and giggles I am getting promoted :D don't know the title yet, but I was told it is going to be something in hockey operations and programs for the CHL and NHL Dallas Stars coverage.

Dying_-2-_Live
04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Honestly I think he is worth the #11 pick, but he just isnt what we need there. But, if he is there at 28 I hope we take him.

nateodoms'bff
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Here is the thing. He is not worth the 11th pick, but he is worth the 28th pick. Even more than that I think he brings more to the Bills than anyone else. As much as I love a draft where we go, Orakpo (or Raji) a OT then Jared Cook, I like Brandon Pettigrew. I know him. Seen him play with my own two eyes in Stillwater and I love him. Absolutely love him. There was one game against Texas Tech that turned into a shootout and he caught the game-winning TD in September of 2007. Weaved passed 5-6 defenders and strolled into the endzone. It was amazing. For a "blocking tight end" that was one of the best things I have ever seen out of a tight end. Caused complete pandemonium in the stands. Buffalo could use something like that.

I would be ecstatic. Elated and overwhelmed if we went Orakpo or Brown or Raji then Pettigrew at 28 and an OT in round 3.

This weekend is going to be alot of fun.

btw, just for kicks and giggles I am getting promoted :D don't know the title yet, but I was told it is going to be something in hockey operations and programs for the CHL and NHL Dallas Stars coverage.

Sorry, doing that against texas tech in 2007, doesn't mean he can do it against rex ryan, bill belichik, or a parcells 3-4, all twice a year. I know you are trying to illustrate the point that he is explosive, but Im not convinced he can do it in the AFC East

LtFinFan66
04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
I can see a path!

I think if we dont take him at 11, he easily drops to 17 and then...

17) Jets- First off, I really think the QB-less Jets will either move up from 17 to take Sanchez or take Freeman at 17. Regardless, they drafted Keller just last year, Pettigrew doesn't make sense.

18) Den- has Sheflller, no need.
19) Bucs- They supposedly want to move Alex Smith but may not get a suitor and they traded for Winslow, they are not taking 'Grew
20) Det- they don't have a strong TE at this point, but they also need everything, if they go Stafford, either D or a OT makes sense. I cant see them spending their next pick on a TE
21) Philly- Its a real possibility and probably the biggest worry before us. Either Wells or Moreno (who they covet) may be there.
22) Minn- Again, no clear cut stud TE, but they want a WR, have talked to Harvin, and maybe Britt, Bey, or Nicks is the pick here.
23) Pats- They have Watson, I don't see it. Id see a S or other needs.
24) ATL- Just traded a high pick for Gonzo, no way they also draft 'Grew.
25) Fins- They have Fasano and use him and love him... no need.
26) Bal- Cut McAllister... this is a defense first team, they are likely going CB, maybe WR, they have Heap... theres a possibility, but I think its slim.
27) Colts- They have Clark, DL, WR, RB, LB seem like ther main needs... again, I dont see it.

And Pettigrew, the #1 TE, drops to us.

Why do we take Pettigrew?
1) We know we have our starting OT's already on this team. Walker at LT, Chambers the likely favorite at RT or maybe an emerging Bell. Depth can come from a later round.
2) We could go LB or DE based on what we did at 11 (my gut says its a DE at 11). That makes a LB like Mathews, English (not a great fit at 4-3), or Sintim (a bit high for my blood) options.
3) We have a shakeup on our OL, why not add the best blocking TE and a guy whos better at receiving than Royal day one.

I wont be unhappy if we dont take him at 28 and take one later, but I really like what he brings to the table and would be ecstatic if we took him at 28.

By the way, I will be giving my wants/dont wants for our possibilities at our picks soon.

It makes sense, I can see a path, dont be surprised.Fins are interested: http://shashaty.blogspot.com/2009/04/gonzalez-trade-to-falcons-could-affect.html

DrGraves
04-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I really don't know if I even want him at 28.

Only if we get a DE and #11 and maybe pick up a Guard via a trade or something.

I would hate to see T or DE unadressed in the first two picks.

X-Era
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Fins are interested: http://shashaty.blogspot.com/2009/04/gonzalez-trade-to-falcons-could-affect.html
OK, it makes very little sense.

Basically the argument is that if all the players that the Fins want do not fall, they take BPA. And they think the BPA is Pettigrew. Even though they have Fasano.

Sorry, I think the Fins are a good team at this point but not so need free that they can stack the deck at TE.

But who knows.

Jeff1220
04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Talk radio around here has been saying that there is no way Ozzie passes up on Pettigrew for the Ravens if he's still there at 26.

X-Era
04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I really don't know if I even want him at 28.

Only if we get a DE and #11 and maybe pick up a Guard via a trade or something.

I would hate to see T or DE unadressed in the first two picks.

I just dont want to forfeit a possible day one starter this next season for a project at OT with one of our top 3 picks.

That doesnt mean we dont need a OT prospect, but I just want to seize the TO opportunity and not go into rebuild mode until we know for sure what we have in Edwards. I just see an OT as a 2 or 3 year project, I want wins now.