PDA

View Full Version : Bruuuuuuce!

seanbillsfan
04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gte5RPziaIU

Has to be my all time favorite bill. I especially like the sack on Flutie

OpIv37
04-23-2009, 08:54 PM
great find- definitely my all-time favorite player.

Goobylal
04-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I shudder to think what he could have done as a 4-3 RDE, with competent DT's next to him. :drool:

BTW, I could only get through half of that video before I shut it off, wondering what happened to our once-proud team?

Kenny
04-23-2009, 09:05 PM
bad things man... bad things

seanbillsfan
04-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I shudder to think what he could have done as a 4-3 RDE, with competent DT's next to him. :drool:

BTW, I could only get through half of that video before I shut it off, wondering what happened to our once-proud team?

Sorry, should work now

Goobylal
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry, should work now
No, it worked fine for me the first time. I just couldn't bear to watch anymore how great a player Bruce was, and great a team the Bills had.

Jeff1220
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Today, he'd probably be flagged for a bunch of those sacks (landing on the QB with full body weight). He used to terrorize!

seanbillsfan
04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
No, it worked fine for me the first time. I just couldn't bear to watch anymore how great a player Bruce was, and great a team the Bills had.
Ah i see. It kinda makes you feel old when you remember actually seeing some of the highlights from 15-20 years ago!

Jaybird
04-23-2009, 09:14 PM
what I would do to have someone with his talent on the dline

seanbillsfan
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
what I would do to have someone with his talent on the dline
Championship!

Goobylal
04-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Championship!
If the Bills had played a 4-3, they would have won at least one SB. Oh well.

psubills62
04-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Now there's a guy with talent AND a motor. What a player...

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
God I miss him. I was spoiled growing up watching him. I remember just how fast he seemed to get off the ball and get around the edge. Wish I realized at that age that I was watching the best DE in NFL history

Buddo
04-24-2009, 05:50 AM
He was just awesome. Watching those highlights was great. The one I particularly liked, was when Marino stepped out of the way of someone else, then Bruce hit him like a ton of bricks - he really didn't see him coming.

DMBcrew36
04-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Ya know whats sad, though...

We have to look that far back to actually feel good about this team.

OpIv37
04-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Ya know whats sad, though...

We have to look that far back to actually feel good about this team.

It was such a different mentality watching that team. They had a killer instinct. At any given moment, Bruce, Biscuit, Kelly, Thomas or Reed could make a play to put the game away. The team had energy and you could feel that knockout blow coming- and most of the time it was delivered.

Now, when I watch this team, I think "just please don't screw it up", yet they usually do. We'll have NE pinned deep in their own end of the field on 3rd and 15- all we have to do is hold them to 14 yards or less- and we'll screw it up and they'll eat up 7 minutes and get a touchdown. Back in the day, Bruce would have gotten a sack or at least a pressure, we'd field the punt on our own 40 and two minutes later the K gun offense would be in the endzone.

*sigh- the good old days.

psubills62
04-24-2009, 08:13 AM
It was such a different mentality watching that team. They had a killer instinct. At any given moment, Bruce, Biscuit, Kelly, Thomas or Reed could make a play to put the game away. The team had energy and you could feel that knockout blow coming- and most of the time it was delivered.

Now, when I watch this team, I think "just please don't screw it up", yet they usually do. We'll have NE pinned deep in their own end of the field on 3rd and 15- all we have to do is hold them to 14 yards or less- and we'll screw it up and they'll eat up 7 minutes and get a touchdown. Back in the day, Bruce would have gotten a sack or at least a pressure, we'd field the punt on our own 40 and two minutes later the K gun offense would be in the endzone.

I always think the same thoughts. I think we can both agree that that's Jauron's mentality - just don't screw it up. And when you think like that, you're going to screw it up more often than not.

The last buffalo fan
04-24-2009, 09:45 AM

Sadly the true.

billsfanone
04-24-2009, 02:19 PM
man I miss seeing that.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gte5RPziaIU

Has to be my all time favorite bill. I especially like the sack on Flutie

breaks my heart knowing there is no Bruce in this draft or anything even close to him

22 sacks his junior year... How many did maybin, Orakpo, Ayers, Brown and Jackson have ... ????

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/jerseys/smith.html

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/images/jerseys/smith.jpg

Known as "The Sack Man" of Virginia Tech football and hailed by thunderous roars of "BRUUUUUCE" during games at Lane Stadium (http://www.hokiesports.com/football/lanestadium.html), Bruce Smith capped his sensational college career in 1984 as the most honored player in Hokie history at the time. As a Tech player, Smith had a career total of 71 tackles behind the line of scrimmage for losses totaling more than five times the length of a football field (504 yards). Smith had 46 career quarterback sacks, including 22 during his junior season in 1983 when he was named first-team All-America by Kodak (coaches) and the Newspaper Enterprise Association. In 1984, the Norfolk, Va., native won the Outland Trophy as America's top lineman and was a consensus All-American. Smith was the No. 1 player picked in the 1985 National Football League draft. During a 15-year career with the Buffalo Bills, he established himself as one of the greatest defensive players ever to play the game. Smith signed with the Washington Redskins before the 2000 season. He ended his career in 2003 as the NFL's all-time sack leader with 200.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 02:47 PM
maybin 12 sacks
career = 16 (2 years)

Brown 13 sacks
career = 22 ( 3 years)

Orakpo 11 sacks
career = 20 (4 years)

Robert Ayers 3 sacks
career = 9 (4 years)

Micheal Johnson 9 sacks
career = 20 (4 years)

Bruce Smith 46 career sacks (3 years)

psubills62
04-24-2009, 02:51 PM
maybin 12 sacks
career = 16 (2 years)

Brown 13 sacks
career = 22 ( 3 years)

Orakpo 11 sacks
career = 20 (4 years)

Robert Ayers 3 sacks
career = 9 (4 years)

Micheal Johnson 9 sacks
career = 20 (4 years)

Bruce Smith 46 career sacks (3 years)

I wonder how many Maybin would have had in two more years...though he never would have been close to Bruce's caliber. Might have come close to Bruce's numbers, but in 4 years and not 3.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't think Maybin would have had anywheres near 30 sacks in his junior year to match Bruces career college sack number