PDA

View Full Version : Bills looking to trade up?

psubills62
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
...for Andre Smith??

per rotoworld.com:

"The Bills are trying to trade up ahead of the Bengals at No. 6 to select Alabama OT Andre Smith, according to Scout.com.

The Bills are desperate for a bookend tackle after the Jason Peters trade, and the extra first-round pick will allow them to be aggressive in pursuit of their target. Smith's value appears to have fully rebounded despite a trainwreck offseason."

If they traded up for Smith...I'd be pretty mad, to be honest. They'd have to pay him a ton of money and I'd have to imagine we'd give up both of our first round picks to move into the top 5. I could be wrong, but if that happened, it would be like we gave Peters away for free and then used our first round pick to draft his replacement.

Nighthawk
04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Ok people...use your brains and think about it logically. The Bills didn't want to pay Peters more then 9.5 million, so why would they pay an unproven rookie more!?!?! That is what would happen if they move up that high in the draft. This will not happen...doesn't make any sense at all.

DrGraves
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
**** THAT. He will probably drop anyways.

If we walk out of draft day with that Bust written all over it and no other first round pick filling DE/LB/TE/G i will go burn down OBD.

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Yeah id do backflips if we got him at 11, trading up is a different story. Just bc we have so many needs

seanbillsfan
04-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Tackle position is pretty deep this year, i wouldnt trade up for anybody

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
one question about all this. how the hell would scout.com know anything about anything? if any type of information was leaked to any "journalist" at this point in the game, you can probably guess its a smoke screen. I wouldnt take anything i hear right now too seriously

circlethewagons
04-23-2009, 09:38 PM
If were really going to get ahead of Cincinnati we'd have to make Andre a top 5 pick and pay him just as much as Jason Peters... Meaning there is 0% chance of this happening.

If he drops to 11 thats a different story

The Spaz
04-23-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm sorry I call BS.

T-Long
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
The only reason this is a story is because on Late Hits tonight, Adam Kaplan of Scout.com, was acting like he was Tom Modrak calling to move up to #2 with St. Louis for Jason Smith, and then #6 with Cincinnati. That's where this is coming from. It was all a joke and just role playing as GM's of all the teams.

TigerJ
04-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't think there's anything to it.

evdawg419
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I would be pisssssed...the only player I'd trade up for would be Curry

Ickybaluky
04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Here is the link to the story:

LINK (http://buf.scout.com/2/859364.html)

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I understand they need a replacement for Peters, but to deal back up in the top-5 to take his replacement, and pay that player what it would have cost to keep him? That is ludicrous. It is treading water.

PromoTheRobot
04-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Ok people...use your brains and think about it logically. The Bills didn't want to pay Peters more then 9.5 million, so why would they pay an unproven rookie more!?!?! That is what would happen if they move up that high in the draft. This will not happen...doesn't make any sense at all.

They didn't want to pay a player who f***ked over his own team $10M/yr. Get your story straight.

That said I think trading up, especially for Andre Smith, would be a bad bad move.

PTR

Oaf
04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
That would suck. Using all of our 1st round firepower just to replace someone that should have been here all along playing out his contract.

The Juice Is Loose
04-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I would downright lose it.

After Mike Williams, I don't see it happening.

If they do that, I'll turn the draft off. I'll get on my bike, and just pedal. Until I died.

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I would downright lose it.

After Mike Williams, I don't see it happening.

If they do that, I'll turn the draft off. I'll get on my bike, and just pedal. Until I died.

I assure you, the Mike Williams arguement has never been brought up in our FO when assessing Andre Smith. Only on Buffalo Bills message boards.

raphael120
04-23-2009, 11:00 PM
If they do this, I'm going to not waste my time and abort fandom.

yordad
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
I assure you, the Mike Williams arguement has never been brought up in our FO when assessing Andre Smith. Only on Buffalo Bills message boards.That wasn't really supposed to be reassuring, was it?

Oaf
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
curry

FlyingDutchman
04-23-2009, 11:15 PM
just sayin. Mike Williams has nothing to do with Andre Smith and I just dont get where alll the comparisons come from. Most people who dont want him have never watched him play and dont know what this kid is capable of. He is the best most consistant tackle coming out hands down. They hear some stories over the winter and thats all they know. I understand being cautious about attitude but people who are writing this guy off as a bust already i promise have never watched this kid play

jimbohastle51
04-23-2009, 11:58 PM
no way this is happening. that would be sooooooooooooo stupid!!!!

Buffalogic
04-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Great if this happens all the more reason for all our friends to mock us for being a bills fan...This would be viiiillllleee!

Night Train
04-24-2009, 01:44 AM
The rumors a week before the draft mean NOTHING.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Mike Williams was brilliant and dominant at Texas

and he turned out to be a whopping bust

clumping platelets
04-24-2009, 03:31 AM
I would trade up for OT Jason Smith or LB Aaron Curry but no higher than #5

Commissioner
04-24-2009, 05:48 AM
If its true that the Bills want to trade up, I'm sure the tackle part is a smoke screen. I could see them trading up to #5 if they think Curry will be there.

X-Era
04-24-2009, 06:03 AM
...for Andre Smith??

per rotoworld.com:

"The Bills are trying to trade up ahead of the Bengals at No. 6 to select Alabama OT Andre Smith, according to Scout.com.

The Bills are desperate for a bookend tackle after the Jason Peters trade, and the extra first-round pick will allow them to be aggressive in pursuit of their target. Smith's value appears to have fully rebounded despite a trainwreck offseason."

If they traded up for Smith...I'd be pretty mad, to be honest. They'd have to pay him a ton of money and I'd have to imagine we'd give up both of our first round picks to move into the top 5. I could be wrong, but if that happened, it would be like we gave Peters away for free and then used our first round pick to draft his replacement.

To be honest, the red flags are just too apparent for me. He really has me questioning his ability to handle the scrutiny and business side of the game.

We just lost a LT because he wanted to act immature, do we really want another situation like that?

And a trade up for it? Eesh.

HHURRICANE
04-24-2009, 06:42 AM
...for Andre Smith??

per rotoworld.com:

As per you on numerous threads Peters was a waste of money. I think giving an unproven rookie 6 million a year makes more sense.

I love how you never figure out the end game. News Flash. We need a LT now.

HHURRICANE
04-24-2009, 06:46 AM
...for Andre Smith??
I could be wrong, but if that happened, it would be like we gave Peters away for free and then used our first round pick to draft his replacement.

You are the same person who blew this exact scenario off that I have been posting for weeks. Are you kidding me? Because it takes you longer to figure it out it's now worth posting.

Can't wait to read your "FO doesn't know what they are doing" post in October.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 06:52 AM
It suggests we are 'desperate' for a bookend tackle.

No. We are not.

Last season both Walker and Chambers showed they could handle the LT position. While of course we would like to have a young LT who can become a 10year staple at the position, we're not going to overpay for that especially considering the teams other needs.

What we are 'desperate' for is to generate some sort of pass rush. As teams slowly move away from the Tampa2, it is being shown that the most effective defence is one that continually forces the opposition to go 4 and out.

Unless we can get to the opposition QB, who we have at LT is almost irrelevant as the defence will not be able to get the opposition offence off the field.

Patti120
04-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Here is the link to the story:

LINK (http://buf.scout.com/2/859364.html)

It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I understand they need a replacement for Peters, but to deal back up in the top-5 to take his replacement, and pay that player what it would have cost to keep him? That is ludicrous. It is treading water.

Which is exactly why I could see the FO do this! Let's hope it's BS.

Commissioner
04-24-2009, 07:05 AM
As per you on numerous threads Peters was a waste of money. I think giving an unproven rookie 6 million a year makes more sense.

I love how you never figure out the end game. News Flash. We need a LT now.

You think it makes sense giving up 2 1st round draft picks and $6 million a year on an unproven rookie who showed up to the combine admittedly out of shape and then just left without telling anyone?

This guy is a Mike Williams waiting to happen.

You don't trade away one of the best tackles in the league so you can move up in the draft and grab an immature rookie who's got character flags all around him.

psubills62
04-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Which is exactly why I could see the FO do this! Let's hope it's BS.

Haha I was waiting for someone to say "well this FO is dumb enough to do it." I never thought it would actually happen, but even if they are considering it, that alone would piss me off.

HHURRICANE
04-24-2009, 08:31 AM
You think it makes sense giving up 2 1st round draft picks and $6 million a year on an unproven rookie who showed up to the combine admittedly out of shape and then just left without telling anyone?

You don't trade away one of the best tackles in the league so you can move up in the draft and grab an immature rookie who's got character flags all around him.

SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you not seen the abuse I've taken over my opinion on keeping Peters?

If we traded up I would laugh my ass off!!

mayotm
04-24-2009, 08:39 AM
SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you not seen the abuse I've taken over my opinion on keeping Peters?

If we traded up I would laugh my ass off!!Of course you would. You're no longer a fan. Go away troll.

HHURRICANE
04-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Of course you would. You're no longer a fan. Go away troll.

You wouldn't be pissed if we traded up for that sack of crap?

Maybe I wouldn't laugh. Maybe I'd cry first and than laugh at the posters that actually think the FO knows what the **** they are doing.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 08:42 AM
They didn't want to pay a player who f***ked over his own team $10M/yr. Get your story straight.

That said I think trading up, especially for Andre Smith, would be a bad bad move.

PTR

My story is straight...but thanks!

Oh yeah...almost forgot...

NH

WeAreArthurMoates
04-24-2009, 08:46 AM
I've heard that it also could be for Monroe, I would def do it as long as it doesn't involve both first and the 2nd. Monroe is one of my favorite OT prospects in the last 5 years.

mayotm
04-24-2009, 08:49 AM
You wouldn't be pissed if we traded up for that sack of crap?

Maybe I wouldn't laugh. Maybe I'd cry first and than laugh at the posters that actually think the FO knows what the **** they are doing.I would be upset if they made that trade. However, very few care if you would be. You had little to no credibility prior to your temper tantrum last week. If you aren't a fan any longer, then go away. Honestly, we get your point. You didn't like the Peters trade. The Bills have too many holes to fill to be any good. How many different threads do you need to start stating the same things over and over?

The Spaz
04-24-2009, 08:50 AM
I would be upset if they made that trade. However, very few care if you would be. You had little to no credibility prior to your temper tantrum last week. If you aren't a fan any longer, then go away. Honestly, we get your point. You didn't like the Peters trade. The Bills have too many holes to fill to be any good. How many different threads do you need to start stating the same things over and over?

:goodpost:

HHURRICANE
04-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Exactly. There is no way this could ever happen. Even the FO has to save face and own there mistakes.

Could you imagine signng this guy, having him turn out to be the next Mike Williams, and than having to read for the next 20 years that we gave away Peters (who'd porbably make the HOF in this scenario) in a trade the same year.

I think even our FO realizes the danger of this move.

Probabilty of happening 0%!!!

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Exactly. There is no way this could ever happen. Even the FO has to save face and own there mistakes.

Could you imagine signng this guy, having him turn out to be the next Mike Williams, and than having to read for the next 20 years that we gave away Peters (who'd porbably make the HOF in this scenario) in a trade the same year.

I think even our FO realizes the danger of this move.

Probabilty of happening 0%!!!

That's my point...they do NOT want to be picking up that high in the draft. The value is not there. The Bills are sitting in the ideal spot to get a very good player at a reasonable cost. Sit there, take the best player and be happy.

FlyingDutchman
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
OK. Everybody who compares this guy to Mike Williams, its obvious youve never watched this kid play. Just remember next year or the year after when this kid is in the pro bowl, remember you were calling him a bust....just remember that....

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 10:04 AM
OK. Everybody who compares this guy to Mike Williams, its obvious youve never watched this kid play. Just remember next year or the year after when this kid is in the pro bowl, remember you were calling him a bust....just remember that....

It has NOTHING to do with the player and everything to do with the screwed up system of paying these guys before they even play a down in the NFL. It won't happen because of the money that would be involved, not because he isn't good enough.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 10:11 AM

and everyone who saw Mike Williams play for Texas thought he was fantastic and Pro Bowler in the making too.

FlyingDutchman
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
then just left without telling anyone?

OMG, just proof of another person who hears a little bit of info and runs with it. He didnt just peace out cub scout with saying anything to anyone. At the combine you have to check out, like a hotel, HE DIDNT KNOW THIS. He did his thing and left. Once he heard he was supposed to check out he immediately apologized. I dont mean to direct this at you, but the ignorance on this board involving this kid makes me want to slam my head into a wall. 99% of the people commenting on him have NEVER SEEM HIM PLAY. Im sorry but for those who havent your opinion means abosolutely nothing. They hear a little story that happend in the offseason, they remember one fat tackle thats been here before, and BAM instantly we must have the next Mike Williams right? Such a joke fellas. Its one thing to say your cautious about attitude, but to say this guys is a bust is ignorant and people saying this are talking about things they dont truely know about. Im done defending the kid now, just everyone saying this kid is going to be a bust just remember who you are.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
OMG, just proof of another person who hears a little bit of info and runs with it. He didnt just peace out cub scout with saying anything to anyone. At the combine you have to check out, like a hotel, HE DIDNT KNOW THIS. He did his thing and left. Once he heard he was supposed to check out he immediately apologized. I dont mean to direct this at you, but the ignorance on this board involving this kid makes me want to slam my head into a wall. 99% of the people commenting on him have NEVER SEEM HIM PLAY. Im sorry but for those who havent your opinion means abosolutely nothing. They hear a little story that happend in the offseason, they remember one fat tackle thats been here before, and BAM instantly we must have the next Mike Williams right? Such a joke fellas. Its one thing to say your cautious about attitude, but to say this guys is a bust is ignorant and people saying this are talking about things they dont truely know about. Im done defending the kid now, just everyone saying this kid is going to be a bust just remember who you are.

and everyone who saw Mike Williams play for Texas thought he was fantastic and Pro Bowler in the making too.

FlyingDutchman
04-24-2009, 10:23 AM

I dont remember that many people thinking that. I, like many wanted Mckinnie. Williams resume could in no way and i mean NO WAY compare to Smith. We had one dang bust at tackle, therefore we should never draft a tackle again? should we never draft a QB again bc of Losman?

FlyingDutchman
04-24-2009, 10:25 AM
dude, williams couldnt hold a candle to smith. as far as what these kids have done on the field, williams couldnt hold smiths jock strap. it is the truth. smith is on par with orlando pace coming out of college and id even say he is better.

FlyingDutchman
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM

ok, but what does mike williams have to do with andre smith?