PDA

View Full Version : If we draft BPA on our day 1 picks, we're F'ed

jpdex12
04-23-2009, 11:51 PM
We can't totally abondonded our needs and grab BPA on day one.

I used McShay's seven round mock to play this out and in the first four rounds I would have had us taking:
1a-Orakpo DT
1b-Pettigrew TE
2-Mack OC
3-Freeman OLB
4a-Lang OT
4b-Mickens CB

This was on a BPA basis. Not a bad draft but it will certainly leave a hole at OT and DT. As much as I'd like to see us grab Pettigrew and Mack I think our 1b and 2 picks should be based on need.

Therefore:
1a-Orakpo DT
1b-Beatty OT
2-Brace DT
3-Robinson OG
4a-Morrah TE
4b-Ellison SS
5-Shipley OG
6-Ian Johnson RB
7-Graham Harrell QB

jpdex12
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Man, I don't know...the more I look at BPA I see four starters from day one going BPA but only three day one starters based on need and a solid back-up DT.

Tough call.

jpdex12
04-23-2009, 11:56 PM
What about

1a-Cushing
1b-Pettigrew
2-Barwin
3-Caldwell
4a-Lang

pffff!

jamze132
04-24-2009, 05:18 AM
I say we trade all of our picks for first rounders next year so when we have a new coach and a new regime, they will have some talent from the get go.

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2009, 05:48 AM
While another DT would be nice, it is further down my list behind interior O-line, TE, DE and OLB.

X-Era
04-24-2009, 06:26 AM
We can't totally abondonded our needs and grab BPA on day one.

I used McShay's seven round mock to play this out and in the first four rounds I would have had us taking:
1a-Orakpo DT
1b-Pettigrew TE
2-Mack OC
3-Freeman OLB
4a-Lang OT
4b-Mickens CB

This was on a BPA basis. Not a bad draft but it will certainly leave a hole at OT and DT. As much as I'd like to see us grab Pettigrew and Mack I think our 1b and 2 picks should be based on need.

Therefore:
1a-Orakpo DT
1b-Beatty OT
2-Brace DT
3-Robinson OG
4a-Morrah TE
4b-Ellison SS
5-Shipley OG
6-Ian Johnson RB
7-Graham Harrell QB

I gotta disagree.

I think players can be had throughout the draft. What I also see is that the Bills are very high on a developing OT in Bell.

The Bills may have adopted a development plan for all prospective LT's.

They give them a year to groom, then they giev them playing time at RT the next year, and then they move them to LT.

Thats really a 2 to 3 year development for an OT. And thats why I have wanted us to go other routes first.

If we had solid starters at more positions heading into this, I would agree. But with so many holes, and prospects who could start day one in those holes, like a TE, or LB, or rotational DE... Id rather spend our early picks on that this year.

Yasgur's Farm
04-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Bills gotta keep BPA and need balanced with every pick.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 07:38 AM
I fail to see how we are screwed with either scenario...

We don't really need a DT. You have us taking a DE in both mocks, and OL in the 1st 3 picks... Really can't ask for more then that.

the draft will not screw us, the last 10- 15 years of ignoring the importance of the OL and drafting DL poorly on has done that

OpIv37
04-24-2009, 07:44 AM
BPA is a luxury that good teams can afford.

The Bills are not a good team.

At a minimum, the Bills have to consider need for the first 3 rounds (4 picks I believe). After that, BPA may be the better strategy, but we have some BIG holes to fill first.

Philagape
04-24-2009, 07:49 AM
The phrase BPA doesn't mean much, and here's why:

BPA may be different on different teams' boards

The real BPAs won't be known for years

And, with as many needs as we have, it's not hard for a need pick to be a reasonable BPA anyway

Captain gameboy
04-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Jauron is on a one year leash.

In my view, that means draft immediate need.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
While another DT would be nice, it is further down my list behind interior O-line, TE, DE and OLB.

Yeah, don't understand that pick?!?!

jpdex12
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
What is the concensus big need pick? DE, TE, OT or OLB?