PDA

View Full Version : This draft is beginning to scare me

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I imagine that I am not the only one who is beginning to be concerned about the draft and the possibility that the Front Office might just completely foul it up, taking a silk purse and turn it into a sow's ear.

I mean:

Moving up for Andre Smith. Actually taking Andre Smith anywhere. He lacks the character or work ethic to be anything but a monumental bust. People will talk about his natural ability and what he did in college but that means squat if you lack the courage to realise you need to work at it. His lazy slob arse shouldn't be anywhere near this football team.

Replacing a Defensive End who doesn't know what the opposition quarterback looks like, and replacing him with a Defensive End who doesn't know what the quarterback looks like i.e Robert Ayers, Tyson Jackson. Someone please explain to me the reason behind that? I know Jackson can slide inside on clear passing downs, but isn't it more important to be continually harassing the QB?

Moving up for Pettigrew. In fact using a Round1 pick on a TE. Wakeup front office, this is not a crucial need. We've Fine and Schouman onboard and whilst not outstanding either can do an adequate job. This draft is rich in TE talent in Rounds 3-5. Whilst they may not be as rounded as Pettigrew, they have speed and as the league has evolved since the days of Metzelaars, speed has become more important. If this was 2010 Pettigrew wouldn't be a Round1 selection.

Not realising we need to replace Ellison. He's done a bandaid type job. But that is not good enough. WLB is a more important need than TE. Edwards will have sufficient targets on the field in Evans, Reed, Owens, our RB and whoever the TE is. If none of them can get open they shouldn't be on the roster. But they won't be on the field at all if the defence cannot get the opposition offence off it, and allows them to control the clock.

I think the franchise has got some great opportunities in the draft to complete turn this side around, but some of the rumours circulating make me think that we won't need to trade up to the Top5 next year ..... because we'll be in it.