PDA

View Full Version : Pats looking to trade up?

psubills62
04-24-2009, 12:23 PM
You may consider me spamming the boards with this kind of stuff, but I'm just passing on what rotoworld.com says. Believe what you will:

"The Patriots are trying to move into the Top-10 of the draft, according to SI's Peter King.

The Pats are believed to have offered their first-round pick and the middle of their three second-round picks for the Jags No. 8 overall pick, but Jacksonville turned it down. King does not believe the Pats are after Tyson Jackson despite his obvious fit as a 3-4 defensive end. The Pats' target is said to be a 'surprise.' "

I kind of tend to doubt Peter King's word at this point. I wouldn't be too surprised if they do trade up though, they've got the ammunition and could grab a stud.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/24/draft/index.html?eref=si_writers

A surprise...any ideas as to who it could be if you believe this? If they got Crabtree...there goes any hope of winning the division for the next ten years.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
The Patriots have way too many picks and they need to offload. I think they have 11 picks. No way the Patriots have room for that many rookies on their roster.

Same with Philly. I could see them trading up to offload some of there 10 picks.

Hopefully NFL teams just say no to the Pats and force them to draft all 11 and then we can all swoop in and take the quality players they couldn't find roster spots for or vets they release ot make spots for those they keep.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 12:33 PM
They may be looking for an OT as I think Light is coming into a contract year. Lets hopes its Andre Smith so he can knock over Brady with his man boobs because over Ends sure can't knock him over at the moment.

streetkings01
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Probably BJ Raji since Wilfork is in a contract year.....he'll probably be looking for a deal similar to what Haynesworth got especially since there are so many 3-4 teams looking for a dominant NT.

X-Era
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
They may be looking for an OT as I think Light is coming into a contract year. Lets hopes its Andre Smith so he can knock over Brady with his man boobs because over Ends sure can't knock him over at the moment.

Brady getting a beat down from Andres m-oobs would be sweet!

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Probably BJ Raji since Wilfork is in a contract year.....he'll probably be looking for a deal similar to what Haynesworth got especially since there are so many 3-4 teams looking for a dominant NT.

I've been hearing that they like Raji and would consider moving up for him. I like Raji and wouldn't mind him falling to Buffalo.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 12:40 PM

well IMO if the Pats want A. Smith then the Bills should want him....

Bottom line is the pats don't make many drafting mistakes

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I've been hearing that they like Raji and would consider moving up for him. I like Raji and wouldn't mind him falling to Buffalo.

That would scare the piss out of me if they had both Wilfork and Raji on the DL at the same time.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Brandon Merriweather?

scartown
I would guess it would be for Raji or Jackson.

Nighthawk
That would scare the piss out of me if they had both Wilfork and Raji on the DL at the same time.

I agree...successful teams build their DL and bring the heat. That was proven by the Giants and the Pats have done the same thing during their run of dominance. That is why I'm so adament about the Bills addressing the DE position early. Of course, if Raji fell, I'd be OK with them picking him.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree...successful teams build their DL and bring the heat. That was proven by the Giants and the Pats have done the same thing during their run of dominance. That is why I'm so adament about the Bills address the DE position early. Of course, if Raji fell, I'd be OK with them picking him.

I'm cool with that strategy, but NE doesn't have many holes to fill anywhere.

We are equally desperate for OL players maybe even a little more then DL.

The difference between us and the Pats, is they are succesful at building and maintaining the trenches to the point where they are never desperate.

Also the Patriots are not afraid to trade away a player, where the Bills don't and their fans scream bloddy murder at the thought of parting with a player who can actually net them a decent pick. and that's how they end up with 11 picks in this draft.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
I would guess it would be for Raji or Jackson.

could be for a OT kernowboy mentions that their T has 1 year left on his current deal

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm cool with that strategy, but NE doesn't have many holes to fill anywhere.

We are equally desperate for OL players maybe even a little more then DL.

The difference between us and the Pats, is they are succesful at building and maintaining the trenches to the point where they are never desperate.

Also the Patriots are not afraid to trade away a player, where the Bills don't and their fans scream bloddy murder at the thought of parting with a player who can actually net them a decent pick. and that's how they end up with 11 picks in this draft.

You've got to start somewhere and this year is a perfect opportunity for the Bills to get a big-time pass rusher like Brown. They need to decide their identity and start committing to that philosophy each year. That is how good teams are built.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how they do without Scott Pioli

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Also, I do believe that Bell is going to end up a very good OT for the Bills. I'm not one to get overly excited about a 7th rounder, but everything I've heard about him, pre-draft & post-draft, has been encouraging. It reminds me a lot of the talk about Peters when he was developing.

Ickybaluky
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Brandon Merriweather?

You think Meriweather is a mistake? Meriweather came on late his rookie season and last year stepped up and established himself. He is on track to be a very good S. He is a physical player, despite not being overly big, and has great range. As his playing time increased (he started 11 games, most after Rodney Harrison was injured) he was around the ball all the time. He has the flexibility to drop down in the slot and play nickel, as he does frequently on passing downs for NE. For a guy drafted 24th, he has been been a good value.

Last year Meriweather had 2 sacks, 4 Ints and 9 passes defensed. Those are big plays. Contrast that with Donte Whitner, who has 1 sack, 2 Ints and 6 passes defensed in his entire 3-year career. The curve is going up on Meriweather, who looks like he is going to be a very good player.

Now, if you want to talk about them making a 1st round draft mistake, Lawrence Maroney is the guy you should talk about. He's made of glass.

Ickybaluky
04-24-2009, 01:13 PM
BTW, if the Pats trade up into the top 10, I think it is for Eugene Monroe.

If he is gone, I think they try to trade up to the mid-teens and take Brian Cushing.

Tatonka
04-24-2009, 01:19 PM
well IMO if the Pats want A. Smith then the Bills should want him....

Bottom line is the pats don't make many drafting mistakes

chad jackson.

all the tight ends they drafted in the 1st round.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Also, I do believe that Bell is going to end up a very good OT for the Bills. I'm not one to get overly excited about a 7th rounder, but everything I've heard about him, pre-draft & post-draft, has been encouraging. It reminds me a lot of the talk about Peters when he was developing.

but we've been down this road many times and it pans out maybe 10% of the time for the Bills.

So many OL in late rounds who stay on the roster for maybe a year or 2 and then we wash rinse and repeat.

I have hopes for Bell, but they are dampened by the unsuccesses of what the Bills have done in the past.

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
chad jackson.

I did say not many mistakes, which means they do make mistakes

psubills62
04-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I think NE has something like 20 players entering contract years. I'm not sure about Raji...I do remember reading that Wilfork was pleased with how contract talks were going, and I know he's their first priority to re-sign. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see an OL player as their target.

SquishDaFish
04-24-2009, 01:28 PM
I think itsRaji

justasportsfan
04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Crabtree :jawdrop:

Ickybaluky
04-24-2009, 01:42 PM
chad jackson.

Jackson was a second round pick, so I didn't include him.

Plus, they have only drafted 2 TE in the first round They drafted Dan Graham at #21 and he was a good pick. He is a good TE, although more of a blocker than a receiver. Then they drafted Ben Watson at #32. He has had some injury woes, but he is a good player as well. Granted, Watson hasn't developed into as a good receiver as I hoped, but he is a good all-around player. I wouldn't call him a bust, especially given where he was drafted.

Maroney stands out, he has been a disappointment. Other than that, they have always drafted well in the first round, getting starters out of all the picks.

Ickybaluky
04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Crabtree :jawdrop:

They aren't drafting Crabtree. I would love it, but they have other areas they need to concentrate their resources.

justasportsfan
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
They aren't drafting Crabtree. I would love it, but they have other areas they need to concentrate their resources.

just mentioned him because everyone else mentioned makes sense which wouldn't be a surprise while Crabtree would definitely be one.

Lexwhat
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Last year Meriweather had 2 sacks, 4 Ints and 9 passes defensed. Those are big plays. Contrast that with Donte Whitner, who has 1 sack, 2 Ints and 6 passes defensed in his entire 3-year career.

:ill:

Mike
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
maybe its Maybin... I think the Pats like Maybin...

Dying_-2-_Live
04-24-2009, 04:02 PM
I honestly have a strange feeling they are looking at Sanchez for an insurance policy... Brady's knee may never be right again

scartown
04-25-2009, 07:00 AM
NEW YORK – The New England Patriots are trying to move up from the No. 23 spot in the first round of this weekend’s NFL draft to the top 10 in hopes of taking LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson, according to three league sources.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-patstrade042409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I thought it would be for Jackson.

Goobylal
04-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Jackson would be my bet. Seymour is in decline and Jackson has classic 3-4 DE size, and also projects inside on passing downs.

Marvelous
04-25-2009, 11:48 AM
My thoughts are more they want a stud tackle to replace Mustace Matt Light. Esp after he dropped off some last season and had his lunch money taken in the Giants superbowl.. But They are elite enough scouting wise to get a solid one with the picks they own so....Ruling out lineman-- GOTTA BE Crabtree or Curry. I wasn't aware that the Ravens OLB they got as a FA two years ago is 31 years old. And Vrabel is gone & Bruichi is very old, as is Seau. Man, i was watching Seau in high school lol and im 35. :D
--Maybe Tyson Jackson or one of the prototype DE/OLB's... Aint getting our pick so neah!