PDA

View Full Version : The Official C'Eh! Mock Draft

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 01:00 PM
ROUND 1

(1) Detroit Lions: QB Matthew Stafford, Georgia
- The Lions have been throwing up smoke screens about Curry and OT Jason Smith. But they drafted Gosder Cherilus last year in round 1 and the bottom line is they HAVE to find a QB to build around. Dante Culpepper is not a long term solution. Is Stafford? I'm not convinced. But he will be given the chance anyway.

(2) St. Louis Rams: OT Jason Smith, Baylor
- The Rams have needs a plenty. They have been connected to Sanchez lately (possibly a ploy to get Snyder to trade up to this pick and overpay?). I'm not buying that one. Curry is a popular choice, but not the biggest need for them either. Crabtree might be an option to replace Holt. But my gut tells me that Spagnuolo wants to rebuild that OL to protect the fragile Bulger, and build the O around Steven Jackson. Barron has never lived up to expectations. So the last question becomes Monroe or Smith. I like Monroe, but apparently Smith has more upside in many people's eyes and has the edge in run blocking.

(3) Kansas City Chiefs: DT B.J. Raji, Boston College
- I'm not going to bother trying to hypothesize trades. It's impossible to predict them, and just screws up your draft. But I'm thinking KC would be a good candidate to move down a bit. They have many many needs, particularly on D. And While Curry would be an excellent pick, I'm not sure how much different he is from Derrick Johnson. There's no DB's worthy of this pick either. So with the 3-4 coming, and Raji cleared of any drug test issues, they grab the elite NT that is key to any 3-4. Dorsey becomes a very nice trade bait at worst, but more likely kicks outside and becomes a 3-4 end. ( a sleeper here might be Orakpo, in an upset having him taken before Curry. But the 3-4 also needs that rush OLB, and Curry isn't one.)

(4) Seattle Seahawks: OLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
- This is a tough pick. If there were elite DB's in this draft I'd say that they were a lock. But the Hawks really are deciding between Monroe, Curry, Crabtree and Sanchez. I don't think it'll be Sanchez. And while Crabtree is a possibility for sure, I think the signing of Housh makes them lean a different way. If they think Walter Jones still has some gas left in the tank, then they grab Curry as a "replacement" for Julian Peterson (though they aren't the same player really). If Jones is looking finished, then it's Monroe.

(5) Cleveland Browns: WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
- All signs are pointing to Braylon Edwards being dealt on draft day. If that does happen, then Crabtree is the pick. Winslow is also gone and SOMEONE has to catch the ball. It's still an excellent pick at that. If Edwards doesn't get traded, then I'd possibly change this pick to Orakpo, as the Browns are in desperate need of a 3-4 pass rushing OLB.

(6) Cincinnati Bengals: OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
- This is almost a no brainer. Stacy Andrews disappointed them on the right side, then left town. Levi Jones has been injured and when not, terrible. The line is awful, and though there are lots of terrible things about the Bengals, this pick fits one of the terrible spots better than the rest. Monroe is a high value pick here. Personally, I have him as the best OT in the draft. They can't afford to let the QB get hit 51 times again this year.

(7) Oakland Raiders: WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
- It's always impossible to predict what the heck Al Davis is gonna do. If Crabtree is here, he's the pick. But he's not. Orakpo was my first inclination, to help the DL which never had anyone with more than 5 sacks last year. But something tells me Maclin will be the guy. There is NO ONE to catch the ball from Russell. He's a gun with no bullets. Zach Miller (51) and Darren McFadden (29) led the team in receptions last year, so Davis reaches here to get a WR with speed.

(8) Jacksonville Jaguars: CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
- I had a really tough time with this pick. Why? because I honestly believe that if this is how the draft were to shake out then this is where Sanchez's fall would end. If teams trade up to get Sanchez higher than this at least. I don't believe the Jags really want to draft him, but rather that they would be moving down with either the Broncos or Redskins and grabbing someone down there. There just isn't someone worthy of the #8 at a position they need in my draft. They signed Torry Holt to help the WR's since they are unlikely to land Crabtree, and otherwise they could really use another CB to go with Mathis or a SS maybe. So they trade down to #12 or 13 if Sanchez is still there and maybe still get Jenkins.

(9) Green Bay Packers: DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
- I was tempted to go with Brown or Orakpo here. As the Packers are making the switch to a 3-4 and could use a rush OLB. But in the end I think they go with Jackson. He's the perfect fit to be their Richard Seymour 3-4 DE. They'll move Kampman to OLB and draft a rush OLB in round 2 probably. With no NT available here, Jackson makes the most sense as a great fit for the retooling to a 3-4.

(10) San Francisco 49ers: QB Mark Sanchez, USC
- If he were still there at this point, I think San Fran grabs him. Alex Smith has proven to be a bust, and Shaun Hill isn't the future. I think Denver or Washington will have traded up at this point and Sanchez won't be there. If that's the case than I think this pick becomes a bit of a surprise with OT Andre Smith coming off the board to play RT this year and then flip sides with Joe Staley next year.

(11) Buffalo Bills: OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss
- Until the Peters trade I thought the Bills were a lock to be looking for a DE here. And I still can't rule out Orakpo or Everett Brown (who i do NOT see as LB's). I am POSITIVE you will not be hearing OT Andre Brown's name here either. The Bills have been striving for good characters, and especially with that image blowing up in their faces the past few months, there's NO WAY they will draft Smith. So I'm thinking unless someone surprisingly falls (and I don't believe for a second Curry falls this far), I think it's DE or OT. And Oher is the right pick here. There's a good chance some of the several pass rush DE's will slip to the Bills second pick at #28, but less of a chance a top OT does (other than the aforementioned Andre Smith). Even if Eben Britton drops, I see him ONLY as a RT. And again the chances Beatty drops are slimmer. Meanwhile Oher is the 2nd rated OT on my board, with room to improve as well having only played OT for 3 years. He's a monster of a man, with a great punch that will improve as a run blocker as well.

(12) Denver Broncos: OLB/DE Brian Orakpo, Texas
- Things have gone badly for the Broncos in this mock. They had 3 big targets: Sanchez, Raji and Jackson. And all three are gone. With 2 1st rounders, A move up is very possible. I honestly think they are more interested in Raji and maybe even Jackson than they are Sanchez. They have Orton, who they will give a shot, but they don't have the pieces for the 3-4 they want to now run. So with the other 3 guys off the board they nab Orakpo, to play OLB and rush the QB in their 3-4. I personally think Orakpo is a 4-3DE, and isn't versatile enough to play OLB in the 3-4, but a lot of people do.

(13) Washington Redskins: OT Andre Smith, Alabama
- The other team who seems to really covet Sanchez and the one I think moves up at some point to get him. They'll then turn around and trade Campbell. However, if they do end up staying here and not getting Sanchez, then RT and DE are probably the picks. I would have normally let Andre Smith slide a long way due to his issues. But Dan Snyder loves the big names. And Andre is one. Samuels is getting up there and Smith will play RT until it's time to move over. Or he'll be a complete bust. Either way, the Skins pick him in this scenario, and quite possibly any scenario where he's on the board and Sanchez isn't.

(14) New Orleans Saints: OLB Brian Cushing, USC
- I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Beanie Wells go here. Reggie Bush has been injury prone ad inconsistent. I think New Orleans might also like Michael Jenkins had he dropped to play FS and possibly CB if Greer doesn't pan out as well as they hope (but he will), and Sharper being a short term fix at best. But Scott Shanle has not been great at OLB, and Cushing could step into that spot form Day 1 and give the saints a solid LB corps with Vilma and Fujita.

(15) Houston Texans: OLB Clay Matthews, USC
- It amazes me how Houston can keep adding pieces to their D but still can't seem to fill other holes. They have half a future perennial All-Pro D-Line already, but the other half isn't much help. They have 1 great MLB and a good CB in Robinson, but most other areas could stand improvements. I think, though they COULD reach for Vontae Davis, they will take Clay Matthews, who is a HUGE upgrade at SLB and gives them a fairly solid LB crops with Cato June on the weak side.

(16) San Diego Chargers: OT Eben Britton, Arizona
- A reach here? yeah, a bit. But there really aren't that many areas of need on the Chargers. While I agree with some of the mocks that they could go RB here, especially with there choice of them all, I don't think they do it in round 1 this year. Maybe next. Jeromey Clary however was terrible on the OL last year and a real liability. I see Britton as fairly polished coming out, but more of a true RT than an NFL LT. Luckily for the Chargers, that's exactly what they need. So a reach yes, but still a huge upgrade at one of their weaker spots.

(17) New York Jets: QB Josh Freeman, Kansas State
- The Jets need a QB. It's really that simple. I don't think Mangini will trade Quinn to help out the team who just fired him. So they grab Freeman and let him compete with Clemens for the starting role this year. They hope for a repeat of the Flacco situation from last year.

(18) Denver Broncos: RB Chris "Beanie" Wells, Ohio State
- SURPRISE! A Denver team drafting a RB in round 1. But they have about 5 RB's on the roster, none of whom are overly impressive. Meanwhile, Shanahan is gone, and Orton will need someone to take the pressure off. Wells is a great fit for their zone blocking scheme that will not be leaving with Shanahan. So McDaniels grabs him some RB.

(19) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DT Peria Jerry, Missippippi
- I think the Bucs would really like to see Freeman drop to them. But since he doesn't, they take a DT they desperately need. Though if a good OLB prospect comes down to them like Matthews or Cushing they could go that way too, since they jettisoned longtime vet Derrick Brooks. With Monte Kiffin gone, I think the D is in for a major overhaul.

(20) Detroit Lions: OT William Beatty, Connecticut
- Stafford is going #1. And with that kind of investment, the Lions will HAVE to find a way to protect him. Cherilus is a RT it seems, So the Lions take a stab at adding a LT and finally getting their QB some protection.

(21) Philadelphia Eagles: RB Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
- Would have gone with Pettigrew here, after their interest in Tony Gonzalez, But if Moreno drops I think the value is too good for them to pass up. Westbrook is still a huge asset, but he is small and gets banged up if overplayed. 1-2 punches are all the rage these days, and with that OL they have now in Philly, they better have a good RB or 2 to utilize it.

(22) Minnesota Vikings: DE/OLB Aaron Maybin, Penn State
- The Vikings have a few needs they can't fill here. Most of all QB. They could also use a RT or S. But there's no value to be had here. So they upgrade their 1 weaker OLB spot and get good value as well.

(23) New England Patriots: ILB Rey Maualuga, USC
- The youth movement of the Pats LB corps continues. Bruschi is 36. and even though he's superhuman and an action hero, he will soon need to move on and save another planet. Good value for the Pats however, and they did ok with the last USC LB they too.

(24) Atlanta Falcons: S Louis Delmas, Western Michigan
- This Pick WAS Pettigrew up until last night. Not anymore. This pick COULD be a LB of some sort, as Michael Boley is gone and as of right now, Coy Wire is slotted in the SLB position. But the other weaker area for the Falcons is in the secondary, and they really could use a S to help there.

(25) Miami Dolphins: CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
- Parcells loves selecting LB's and CB's in round 1. And the Fins really need a CB. They be ecstatic if Davis falls to them at 25, and be all over it.

(26) Baltimore Ravens: WR Darius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
- Allegedly, Baltimore has found the asking price for Boldin too step and are no longer interested in trading for him. So they look to the draft to fill the WR need. Haward-Bey ran the fastest 40 time at 4.30 at the combine, and has been rising up the draft boards ever since.

(27) Indianapolis Colts: WR Kenny Britt, Rutgers
- The Marvin Harrison era is over in Indy. Anthony Gonzalez is more suited to play the slot, so the Colts need a #2 WR to go with Reggie Wayne and keep that vaunted passing offense firing. Britt is a playmaker, who could end up the best WR not named Crabtree in this draft.

(28) Buffalo Bills: DE Everett Brown, Florida State
- As I'm doing this draft, I'm really taking ti 1 pick at a time, and not considering who is going where and to whom. I'm just trying to look at the individual teams, the need and value that is there and making the pick. My point is, it is not at all by design that Ayers, Brown and Pettigrew are all there for the Bills at #28. Much like the real draft, sometimes team needs and wants just kind of have someone slide. My feeling is that, despite being very happy if this scenario came to pass, and as much as I think the Bills REALLY like Pettigrew, they would in this case go DE. The clearly KNOW they have to address the pass rush, and this is a good TE draft, that they could get someone in round 2 or 3 at that position. So If Ayers and Brown were still there at 28, it's between the 2 of them. I think that Brown is a DE in the 4-3 and not a 3-4 OLB. And although he needs to get a bit bigger before he will be able to hold up against the run, he has the frame for it. Meanwhile his pass rush is excellent, particularly his speed and first step. So Brown is my pick.

(29) New York Giants: WR Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina
- This pick is provided the Giants don't make a trade for Braylon Edwards or Boldin. They definitely are in the market for a WR to replace Burress. So Nicks is the pick here, and is good value as well. Pettigrew could be a possibility, but I think they like Boss enough to go WR here, and add a TE in later rounds.

(30) Tennessee Titans: DE Robert Ayers, Tennessee
- The Titans lost Albert Haynesworth, which was a major blow to their DL. His pass rush from the middle was key to many things they did. They will need to address DT at some point in this draft, but adding a pass rusher like Ayers to play opposite Kyle Vanden Bosch will help keep the pressure on opposing QB's.

(31) Arizona Cardinals: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State
- The Cards need a RB and a few other things. But this becomes a value pick for them. They have a lot of instability surrounding the Boldin situation, and they have no real threat at the TE position. So they nab Pettigrew whom they never though would be available, in preparation of replacing at least part of Boldin's production if/when he is moved.

(32) Pittsburgh Steelers: OL Max Unger, Oregon
- The Steelers will def be looking OL here. And Unger gets the nod because his versatility gives them a better piece to rework the line overall.

Round 2

(33) Detroit Lions: DE Larry English, Northern Illinois
(34) New England Patriots: CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
(35) St. Louis Rams: WR Percy Harvin, Florida
(36) Cleveland Browns: CB Darius Butler, Connecticut
(37) Seattle Seahawks: S Rashad Johnson, Alabama
(38) Cincinnati Bengals: C Alex Mack, California
(39) Jacksonville Jaguars: ILB James Laurinitis, Ohio State
(40) Oakland Raiders: DT Evander Hood, Missouri
(41) Green Bay Packers: OLB Paul Kruger, Utah
(42) Buffalo Bills: OLB Clint Sintim, Virignia

Remaining Buffalo Bills Picks:
Round 3 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:3) (75) OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
Round 4 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:4) (110) TE Chase Coffman, Missouri
Round 4 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:4) (121) S Chris Clemons, Clemson
Round 5 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:5) (147) QB Brian Hoyer, Michigan State
Round 6 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:6) (183) FB Tony Fiammetta, Syracuse
Round 7 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-round/dt-by-round-input:7) (220) OC A.Q. Shipley, Penn State

ddaryl
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
not a bad mock... I would be happy, but then there are about 10 scenarios that oculd happen and I would be content.

just take care of the OL and front 7 on D

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
I doubt Robinson will last until the 3rd or Shipley to the 7th.

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 01:06 PM

Very possible. It gets SO hard near the end of thee things. SO i just looked at 4-5 recent mocks that had 7 rounds and if 2-3 had a certain player availabel at our picks I was ok to use them.... a few had shipley i round 7 and quite a few actually had Duke ion round 3. Though overalll there aren't a ton of G's so it probably means he goes round 2 in the end.

SABURZFAN
04-24-2009, 01:07 PM
i don't think D. Robinson makes it to Buffalo in the 3rd Round. i like the Hoyer pick though.

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Also....

I tried VERY hard not to look ahead or play favourites.

I tried to mock it as if i were the team in question and I wanted the best player that also fits the needs. So I was surprised when a few players slipped myself. I wanted to avoid looking at the "big picture" and thinking that player so and so has to go in the top 10....

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
i don't think D. Robinson makes it to Buffalo in the 3rd Round. i like the Hoyer pick though.

Yeah... see my note on seeing him in some mocks that low and using that as a guide.

But to be honest... those last Bills picks would be a bit homerish for them to be there at that point.

a bit of whishful thinking when i no longer made picks for each team....

ServoBillieves
04-24-2009, 01:10 PM

Agreed.

Robinson is mid 2nd and Q. is late 4th, early 5th.

Tatonka
04-24-2009, 01:16 PM
if that was our draft, i would be a pig in ****.

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 01:21 PM
if that was our draft, i would be a pig in ****.

LOL... Beyond maybe being a bit homerish with picks 4-8 for the bills... I seriously didn't try to "setup" anything for the Bills. I just tried to take it 1 team at a time and not look at the big picture. There was no "i could take so and so but the bills are coming up"...

I also looked at each team. They team stats, depth charts, rumors, needs, and a bit of history, plus read many many mocks to see what others thought.

I brought it all together 1 pick at a time and ended up with DE's falling (which might happen to a few if the 3-4 teams don't think they convert well to OLB, which is how Everett Brown dropped. I dont' think he's an OLB. Same for Orakpo.)

Anyway... it did shake out well for us... and quite frankly, our need positins are deeper ones in this draft (OT, DE, TE) and it coudl shake down well for us.

Oher, Brown and Sintim fix a big part of our OL and give us a hell of a pas rush improvement.

SquishDaFish
04-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I would love that draft. If we can get one of those 2 DEs then Im happy passing on Orakpo.

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
I would love that draft. If we can get one of those 2 DEs then Im happy passing on Orakpo.

Orakpo is another guy who could drop. I can't see him as a 3-4 OLB either. He isn't fluid enough in space. He's a 4-3 DE IMO. and I think he'll be drafted slightly lower because of all the teams using a 3-4 now. Also why Jackson goes so high.

Personally... I'm not fond of Orakpo really. Not sure why... maybe it's the number of busts from Texas.... But i watched his highlight tape and found him 1 dimensional.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
If this happens i would be stoked best draft ive seen unlikely tho

T-Long
04-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Canadian my friend!! Where have you been buddy?!?!?

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Canadian my friend!! Where have you been buddy?!?!?
Sup T?

I've been around a bit. We had some problems with hackers over at billsaddiction, but hopefully have them sorted out. They kept taking the board down and we ended up offline for a couple weeks after the last one. Dude (from here i think) was a huge help. Some stupid Arab writing and creepy pictures kept coming up.... I think somehow we just ended up on a list that some hackers were using to see if they could hack certain boards. I don't think it was any sort of attacks that were personal or anything... just some teenagers who are bored because no one wants to screw them... lol

I see your facebook stuff once in a while... Baby 2 on the way? congrats!

Give my love to Kristin!!! LOL!

PS- My Habs really got killed... I'm still hurtin form the season. But I'll pull for Sid and your Penguins now... at least in the east.

Canadian'eh!
04-24-2009, 04:16 PM
If this happens i would be stoked best draft ive seen unlikely tho

LOL... they really ALL are unlikely. Mock drafts are like trying to predict the weather. You just make your best guess really, and some you get right, sometimes partly right, but a lot of times you are way off.

I just did my best to stay unbiased and address what I thought each team would do, since people at the draft aren't really looking at the "big picture" of who goes where.

And it so happened that it worked out well for the Bills.. it wasn't "forced"That being said it WON"T happen that way of course!

Some players will go higher than ANYONE thought, others will slip lower... trades will go down.

For instance they now say Arizona will take LESS for Boldin (a 2nd!!! CMON BILLS FORGET TO a 2nd FOR BOLDIN! TO is 1 year.. BOLDIN is 7-8 all-pro)

Buit it's fun to try them anyway!