PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is the Big Day

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I am psyched at what the Bills could do. What are your hopes?

I am hoping we hit OT at 11 and DE at 28.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I am psyched at what the Bills could do. What are your hopes?

I am hoping we hit OT at 11 and DE at 28.

or DE at #11 and OT at #28

SABURZFAN
04-24-2009, 01:28 PM
it's better than Christmas. :xmas:

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Mayock thinks the Bills want Oher at 11 and Pettigrew at 28.

SABURZFAN
04-24-2009, 01:39 PM

i could live with that.

Michael82
04-24-2009, 01:41 PM
But that does NOTHING to address our horrible pass rush! :mad:

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
He also seems to think that Everette Brown will be going in round two.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
He still thinks that this DE class is very weak and the best DE is Robert Ayers. I am not going to discount anything he says considering he is usually on the money. He doesn't think Stafford is an ideal number one choice but he does see him being selected first. He actually likes Sanchez over Stafford. He says that the only team that worries Buffalo as far as players go is San Fran. They could take a tackle ahead of Buffalo.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
He also seems to think that Everette Brown will be going in round two.

All that shows is Mayock is an arse. Ayers may have potential but scared absolutely no-one in college and his no record of production. He had 3.5 sacks in his senior season - including 0.5 sacks when lining up at End.

If Mayock thinks Brown will be there at #42 then he's a Grade A idiot. What he fails to understand is we need to upgrade the pass rush not make it worse.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Not sure he thinks he will be there at 42. I think he thinks that he will be there at 33 though. We will see tomorrow where E. Brown goes. One more day.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Mayock says Everette Brown probably can't play first and second downs his rookie year.

OpIv37
04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
I just hope they don't use any of the first 3 picks on WR, DB or RB. It HAS to be OL, DL and/or TE.

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2009, 02:11 PM
But that does NOTHING to address our horrible pass rush! :mad:

They can't fill 4 holes with 2 picks.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Mayock says Everette Brown probably can't play first and second downs his rookie year.

Maybe not but I don't think we'd shift both Kelsay and Denney. Even if Brown is only initially a pass rusher, he'd contribute far more than Ayers. In addition we'll need to replace Schobel, and apart from Carlos Dunlap, I am not sure if any of the DE in the 2010 class will be any better.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
All I know is Mayock seems to think that Brown is a major reach pick in round 1. He doesn't see Buffalo making the selection. He doesn't even see the Bills taking Robert Ayers.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 02:23 PM
I just hope they don't use any of the first 3 picks on WR, DB or RB. It HAS to be OL, DL and/or TE.

Or LB...

mayotm
04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
I just hope they don't use any of the first 3 picks on WR, DB or RB. It HAS to be OL, DL and/or TE.I would also be OK with a LB taken with one of the first three picks.

Pinkerton Security
04-24-2009, 02:24 PM
get a DE, OT in the first 2 rounds and ill be happy. I'd prefer the DE be somewhere in the 1st round

OpIv37
04-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Or LB...

I would also be OK with a LB taken with one of the first three picks.

Good point, guys. Ellison sucks so I'm fine with LB as well.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 02:25 PM
They can't fill 4 holes with 2 picks.

IMO, a pass rushing DE is much more important then a TE for the success of this team. You can get a good TE in the 3rd or 4th round.

OpIv37
04-24-2009, 02:26 PM
IMO, a pass rushing DE is much more important then a TE for the success of this team. You can get a good TE in the 3rd or 4th round.

or we could take this year's equivalent of Dwayne Wright because he's "BPA". Whatever.

mayotm
04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Personally, I'm growing more and more concerned about taking a DE early. I know it's a need. However, I'm simply not sure any of the DE's are worth the 11th pick.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 02:27 PM
or we could take this year's equivalent of Dwayne Wright because he's "BPA". Whatever.

It's Ok to take BPA except the BPA on the Bills board seems to "not be" the BPA. Or at least that's the way it seems.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Personally, I'm growing more and more concerned about taking a DE early. I know it's a need. However, I'm simply not sure any of the DE's are worth the 11th pick.

Everette Brown is...:catfight:

mayotm
04-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Everette Brown is...:catfight:I would understand the pick. Just don't see any of the DE's as a sure thing.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I would understand the pick. Just don't see any of the DE's as a sure thing.

There are NO sure things in any draft. I think many people over think it...

Pinkerton Security
04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
I would understand the pick. Just don't see any of the DE's as a sure thing.

what is a sure thing in this year's draft? Maybe Curry and Crabtree, and I'd say thats it.

mayotm
04-24-2009, 02:37 PM
There are NO sure things in any draft. I think many people over think it...True. But usually, I have some kind of feel for who I want the Bills to take. I haven't even figured out which of the DE's I think is going to be the best player. Have had people come up to me a work the past few days asking who the Bills are going to take. My response has been that I have no friggin' clue.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
True. But usually, I have some kind of feel for who I want the Bills to take. I haven't even figured out which of the DE's I think is going to be the best player. Have had people come up to me a work the past few days asking who the Bills are going to take. My response has been that I have no friggin' clue.

I have the same feeling about Brown as I had about Freeney when he came out. Back then many "experts" didn't think he would be able to play at the NFL level because of his size, but he had the "it" factor when it came to getting to the QB. IMO, Brown has the same "it" factor when it comes to sacking the QB.

mayotm
04-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I have the same feeling about Brown as I had about Freeney when he came out. Back then many "experts" didn't think he would be able to play at the NFL level because of his size, but he had the "it" factor when it came to getting to the QB. IMO, Brown has the same "it" factor when it comes to sacking the QB.If we draft him, I certainly hope your feeling is right.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 02:47 PM
If we draft him, I certainly hope your feeling is right.

Me too....

Dr. Lecter
04-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Or we could take Tavares Tillman or John McCargo because they are our needs.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Or we could take Tavares Tillman or John McCargo because they are our needs.

or Erik Flowers. 2000 was a seriously shameful draft.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Everette Brown is not a first round DE according to Mike Mayock.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Mayock describes Brown as a RE or OLB who has significant upside and even describes Robert Ayers as a one season wonder (a wonder he's rated so highly with only 3.5sacks)

If he thinks Brown will not be in Round 1, he's need to consider changing professions.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Mayock describes Brown as a RE or OLB who has significant upside and even describes Robert Ayers as a one season wonder (a wonder he's rated so highly with only 3.5sacks)

If he thinks Brown will not be in Round 1, he's need to consider changing professions.

I'm sure you know so much more than Mike Mayock who actually has his hands on film, not just you tube videos. He isn't saying that he won't go in Round 1 he says at best he is a late round 1 should go in early round two.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm sure you know so much more than Mike Mayock who actually has his hands on film, not just you tube videos. He isn't saying that he won't go in Round 1 he says at best he is a late round 1 should go in early round two.

No but of the dozens of mocks I have seen include all of those on Walterfootball.com which has links to most of them, only Mayock doesn't have Brown in Round1.

Most have him in the first half of the draft, a small group have him sliding into the early 20s, but only Mayock has him sliding out altogether.

I'm with the 99%

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 04:00 PM
You can't compare him to Freeney because Freeney really dominated at Syracuse. He got 34 career sacks at the 'cuse. Brown's numbers don't stack up to that. Freeney played his senior season to prove it wasn't a fluke, and I still stand that Brown would have benefitted from playing his senior season. If he would have done that and improved on his junior year he would have been a lock to go 11 for sure. Now we aren't really sure what he can do. He is almost just as big of a risk as Aaron Maybin.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Everette Brown is not a first round DE according to Mike Mayock.

According to me...he is. Mike Mayock also thought Whitner was a good pick...what is your point? Think for yourself...please!!!

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 04:28 PM
According to me...he is. Mike Mayock also thought Whitner was a good pick...what is your point? Think for yourself...please!!!

Just posted a thought for myself post right above the post you just made. I do happen to think for myself and here is my opinion. He disappears in games a lot of his sacks were gotten from moving him around to exploit other team weaknesses he got a lot of sacks against the wind. He has a great first step, but how often you gonna do that against better competition. You think you can get past Jake Long with that first step? I don't think so. How about Matt Light? Probably not. You gotta bull rush those guys. Brown is lacking in the bull rush department. He's got moves, but he's not ready. I think you get a guy in the first round who plays every down. That's why I like Michael Oher. By the way I am not opposed to getting Everette Brown at 28. Which by the way is where pretty much most scouts think he should go.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Aaron Maybin started 10 of 26 games at Penn State recording 61 tackles (38 solo) with 16 sacks

Everette Brown started 25 out of 41 games including 17 at Right End and 8 at Left end, recording 100 tackles (70 solo) and 23 sacks

Dwight Freeney started 22 out of 39 games at Syracuse recording 104 tackles (68 solo) and 34 sacks.

Brown made a higher percentage of solo tackles of the three. Brown has as much starting experience as Freeney had coming out of college.

However if Freeney had come out of college at the same time as Brown is his totals would have been 54 tackles (35 solo) with 16.5 sacks having started 10 games out of 27 games so his stats measure up almost exactly alongside Maybin.

Freeney didn't come out as a junior because he was injured that season so felt coming back would improve his draft stock for the following year. He only played 7 games in his 3rd year.

Based on progression, Brown would have significantly overhauled Freeney's figures if he'd returned for his senior season. However his figures are comparative to Freeney when Freeney game out and in addition he has started on the left hand side in a third of the games he started demonstrating an additional benefit to the Bills in that he's a player comfortable in starting on either flank.

So lets compare

Brown started 61% of his college games compared to Maybin 38%. Freeney started 56%.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 04:31 PM
You can't compare him to Freeney because Freeney really dominated at Syracuse. He got 34 career sacks at the 'cuse. Brown's numbers don't stack up to that. Freeney played his senior season to prove it wasn't a fluke, and I still stand that Brown would have benefitted from playing his senior season. If he would have done that and improved on his junior year he would have been a lock to go 11 for sure. Now we aren't really sure what he can do. He is almost just as big of a risk as Aaron Maybin.

Man, you really have no clue what you're talking about...do you??? First, Freeney played 4 years at Syracuse and had 34 sacks. Second, Brown is coming out after his Junior year and had 23 sacks. If Brown stays, it is HIGHLY likely that his numbers are almost exactly like Freeney's. Also, since you really don't know what you're talking about, let me give you a history lesson. Back when Freeney was drafted, many felt the Colts took him too high...you know where they drafted him??? Oh yeah, #11...and he turned out just fine. The ONLY knock on Brown is his size (just like Freeney)...he's a great motor guy, great character and has pass rushing moves. Just because you don't want him, doesn't make him a bad value at #11. IMO, he is the best pass rusher in this draft and would be a great pick for the Bills if they decide to go that route.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Just posted a thought for myself post right above the post you just made. I do happen to think for myself and here is my opinion. He disappears in games a lot of his sacks were gotten from moving him around to exploit other team weaknesses he got a lot of sacks against the wind. He has a great first step, but how often you gonna do that against better competition. You think you can get past Jake Long with that first step? I don't think so. How about Matt Light? Probably not. You gotta bull rush those guys. Brown is lacking in the bull rush department. He's got moves, but he's not ready. I think you get a guy in the first round who plays every down. That's why I like Michael Oher. By the way I am not opposed to getting Everette Brown at 28. Which by the way is where pretty much most scouts think he should go.

Umm, you do realize that many don't believe Oher is ready...don't you?

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 04:37 PM
I think its a little unfair on Kid Mickey because its not all about stats, but when you do a close analysis, Brown is directly comparable to Freeney coming out of college and that is good enough for me. Maybin is comparable to Freeney coming out as a junior.

Unfortunately football is not a game played on paper, but I think the potential of Brown is being undervalued.

What most interests me, is that he has had to go up against big mauling RTs in college as a left end, which says the Bills could pair him with Schobel. Despite being undersized, his tackle count compares favourably as well.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I think its a little unfair on Kid Mickey because its not all about stats, but when you do a close analysis, Brown is directly comparable to Freeney coming out of college and that is good enough for me. Maybin is comparable to Freeney coming out as a junior.

Unfortunately football is not a game played on paper, but I think the potential of Brown is being undervalued.

What most interests me, is that he has had to go up against big mauling RTs in college as a left end, which says the Bills could pair him with Schobel. Despite being undersized, his tackle count compares favourably as well.

The guy's nonsense is just wearing me out...that's why I got snippy with him.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 04:40 PM
You do realize a lot of people are saying that because teams like San Diego and Detroit want him to fall to them don't you. We will see tomorrow. Oh and by the way if 11 was too high for a guy who played four years of college with that production don't you think its too high for a guy who only had three years of production? Same size? Similar skill set, yet one guy stuck around to polish his game and prove he wasn't a fluke. Main reason why he came in and dominated, he was polished.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 04:42 PM
We will see what happens tomorrow.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 04:42 PM

Brown might have been moved around but all pass rushing DE are. Thats the role of a good coordinator. The point is starting at LE is not being moved around. And lining up against a slow of foot RT means a quick first can get him round the slower big guy. How do you think Jevon Kearse has been successful for so many years. He's a light guy lining up at LE.

As Long and Light are left tackles they frequently face lightish Right Ends. The fact is Brown is low and squat not thin and lanky like Jason Taylor so is quite capable of Bull rushing but why go through when you can go round?

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 04:43 PM
You do realize a lot of people are saying that because teams like San Diego and Detroit want him to fall to them don't you. We will see tomorrow. Oh and by the way if 11 was too high for a guy who played four years of college with that production don't you think its too high for a guy who only had three years of production? Same size? Similar skill set, yet one guy stuck around to polish his game and prove he wasn't a fluke. Main reason why he came in and dominated, he was polished.

Sanchez has only played 16 games...he's going in the top 10. It's not only about how many games you played, but potential too.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 04:46 PM

Polish is achieved when on the field. Brown played 41 games at Florida St, Freeney played 39 games. Brown started 25 games, Freeney 22 games. As Freeney's big sack year came in one year, it was maybe a concern that his final year was a fluke.

Freeney came out to because he had to. Brown came out because he'd achieved as much as Freeney in a year's less time. It would have been stupid for Brown to stay in another year and risk injury.

kid mickey
04-24-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't think Brown topped 17 sacks in a season. I actually believe he got the same amount as Freeney in his junior year. Freeney is a proven commodity. I don't see Brown coming in and doing the same things right away. I like him at 28. Think 11 is a stretch for him. Who knows how it goes, but I still feel they might be able to get him at 28. We will see tomorrow.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't think Brown topped 17 sacks in a season. I actually believe he got the same amount as Freeney in his junior year. Freeney is a proven commodity. I don't see Brown coming in and doing the same things right away. I like him at 28. Think 11 is a stretch for him. Who knows how it goes, but I still feel they might be able to get him at 28. We will see tomorrow.

Are you freakin' serious???!!! Of course Freeney is a proven commodity...he's been in the NFL for years!!! Your arguements get worse with every post!

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 06:02 PM
By the end of his junior year Brown had 23.5 sacks, Freeney had 16.5 sacks.

In fact Brown's performances compare well with another DE/OLB taken at 11, DeMarcus Ware.

I still don't understand how you can say that Freeney was anymore of a proven commodity? Freeney had a final season total of 17 sacks, Brown's were 13.5 sacks but Brown had doubled his sack total every single year at Florida St. Based on that he would have outstripped Freeney. He has greater starting experience that Freeney, played in more games, made more solo tackles. Compare the two you'd wonder if Freeney was the one-season wonder like Maybin. Brown has been significantly more consistent. Each year he increased his starts, increased his overall tackle count, increased his solo tackle count, and increased his sack numbers. Not even Freeney achieved that.

.... and I'll quote the pundit you love, Mike Maycock who despite giving him a silly draft ranking describes Brown has having upside and potential.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Are you freakin' serious???!!! Of course Freeney is a proven commodity...he's been in the NFL for years!!! Your arguements get worse with every post!

I think he meant coming out of Syracuse but even then his stats are slightly inferior to Brown.

kernowboy
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
and when all is said and done, Brown's performances in college are the equal of Brian Orakpo in terms of experience, tackles, sack totals (Brown's are better)

Where Brown falls down is Orakpo is slightly bigger.

Nighthawk
04-24-2009, 06:28 PM
and when all is said and done, Brown's performances in college are the equal of Brian Orakpo in terms of experience, tackles, sack totals (Brown's are better)

Where Brown falls down is Orakpo is slightly bigger.

And for some reason people are holding it against him that he's coming out of FSU. I just have a feeling this guy is going to be the real deal.

Dying_-2-_Live
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Everette Brown will go before Ayers