PDA

View Full Version : Clump's Thoughts on the Draft

clumping platelets
04-25-2009, 07:13 AM
I've been a draftnik for nearly 25 yrs. My first real exposure was the 1985 draft when the Bills had the first pick. I was in basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC when I got a letter from a friend who told me about the Bills signing Bruce Smith. I was like, "who's Bruce Smith"? I knew little or nothing about the players and once I was sent to AIT at Ft. Sam Houston, TX, I came across a advertisement for Ourlads Scouting Services. I bought their draft guide and received it a couple of weeks before the draft. My free time was consumed by that guide and by draft day, I was well versed with nearly all the players who had extensive write ups. My only other information available was from the local San Antonio newspapers that focused on the Oilers and Cowboys. On draft day, I remember calling my friend Chris and asking who the Bills had chosen. He said "some center from Nebraska" and I said "hmmm......Mark Traynowicz. He's gonna be a good one". I was partially right. I still have all my Ourlads draft booklets but unfortunately my 1985 issue is coverless and rests inside a file folder. It sits next to all the others in my bookcase.

Draft weekend has been a holiday for me and I haven't missed one since. I remember watching the 1986 draft and wondering why the Bills would pass over Will Wolford for Ronnie Harmon only to see them later trade up to get Wolford. I remember wanting Rod Woodson over Shane Conlan. Still remember a friend's response to the drafting the Thurman Thomas. I also remember predicting the selection of Erik Flowers but categorically state that he wasn't my desired choice, that was John Engelberger. At least Engelberger is still playing.

In years past, I could spout details on many individual players and it would amaze some. However, since my interests changed towards the salary cap, I've been more interested in the needs of the team and what information is ultimately used in the decision making process of the actual selecting a player.

There are many variables that go into which players are ultimately chosen. Some variables are more important than others and the strength each variable has in the draft equation is different with each team. They also change over time when teams have new owners or coaching staffs. Look at it as though it's a multivariate equation:

Dp (drafted player) = a1(needs) + a2(free agency) + a3(age) + a4(salary cap) + a5(owners desires) + a6(value) + a7(public relations/connections) + a8(draft day) + a9(player demands) + a10(coaching/schemes) + e

Basically, a1 thru a10 are called the "strength coefficients" and the sum is 1 (which in essence equals 100%). The last variable, e, is for "the unexpected" like a last minute injury or legal issue. If a5 = 1, all others are zero and basically means that the owner makes the decision on who is drafted. The closer the strength coefficient is to 1, the greater the impact of that variable is on drafting a player. Now it's apparent that some of these variables overlap. Needs result from free agency losses and gains and vice versa. Owner desires can include some review of team needs and salary cap situation. But by draft day, needs are post-free agency and free agency can be future free agency concerns. The "draft day" variable takes into account how the draft plays out and also what players a team has already drafted. However, I hope most of these variables are self explanatory. I could actually expand the variables to include "legal issues", "personal conduct", "instincts", and "affordability" (obviously in play for #1 overall). I'm sure others could be explored but I'm hoping those reading understand my point and that the art of drafting is a complex undertaking. Some of these variables are never taken into account when draftniks mull over various mock drafts whether they are reading and producing their own.

Without a doubt, the Bills needs in the draft have been reviewed ad nauseum. Thus, no great detail is necessary but I will just highlight what I perceive to be those needs and then follow up with my 2 round mock draft and final Bills 7 rd mock. Needs are as follows:

1) Pass Rush: I list it as pass rush because pass rush can come from positions other than DE. I honestly believe the Bills have some solid players on the DL but they lack the speed rusher in the mold of a Dwight Freeney and the ability to generate "up the middle" pressure. Helping the pass rush can come from drafting or trading for help on the defensive front 7. DE, DT, or LB. It can also come from better talent in the secondary, especially a big, physical CB that can match up against the bigger WR's in the league. I'm sick of seeing Terrence McGee lining up against a Braylon Edwards on 3rd down. With this all being said, age also plays a role here because Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, and Stroud are all over 30.

2) Offensive Line: Right now, I believe the Bills should keep the right side intact with Butler at RG and Walker at RT. Maintain as much continuity as possible. Hangartner was signed in free agency to take over at center and after Fowler and Preston, that's an upgrade IMHO. The left side is in flux and in need of an infusion of talent. We know the Bills are gonna say that they are happy with Chambers and D. Bell at LT or LG and confident in late free agent addition, McKinney, to provide depth inside. However, happy talk will not keep Trent off his backside. Bills must add talent to the OL. Especially at OT.

3) Linebacker: This is a greater need than DL IMO. Teams have been able to move the ball against our defense because they can attack a major weaknesses of the defense seemingly at will. Lack of speed at LB is a major reason. Neither Mitchell or Posluszny are speed demons. Ellison has better speed but is physically outmatched. Bills need an "all around-3 down" LB who can help on the pass rush, cover backs or TE's, and also hold up against the run.

4) Tight End: Bills have a real need for an all around TE. One that can be an effective blocker both in the running game and pass protection. This TE also needs to effective in the deep middle seams.

5) Secondary: Bills secondary consistently loses when matched up vs bigger WRs. Must get more physical at CB and need some depth inside at SS because of an apparent switch of Donte Whitner to FS. McGee is UFA, Youboty RFA, and Simpson is on the block

Trades:

1) Seattle sends #4 and 5th 2010 to NYJ for #17, #52, and 1st 2010

2) Oakland sends #7 and #216 to SF for #10, #74, and 4th 2010

3) New Orleans sends #14 to Phil for #21 and #53

4) Atlanta sends #24 to Cleveland for #36 and #104

5) Tennessee sends #30 and #130 to NE for #34 and #89

6) NY Giants sends #45, #238, and 2nd 2010 to Cleveland for #50 and WR Edwards

7) Miami sends #56 and cond 2010 to Arizona for WR Boldin

Mock Draft - 1st Round

1) Detroit: QB Matthew Stafford (Georgia)
2) St. Louis: OT Jason Smith (Baylor)
3) Kansas City: LB Aaron Curry (Wake Forest)
4) NY Jets (Seattle): QB Mark Sanchez (USC)
5) Cleveland: DT B. J. Raji (Boston College)
6) Cincinnati: OT Andre Smith (Alabama)
7) San Francisco (Oakland): DE Tyson Jackson (LSU)
8) Jacksonville: WR Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech)
9) Green Bay: OT Eugene Monroe (Virginia)
10)Oakland (SF): WR Percy Harvin (Florida)
11)Buffalo: DE Brian Orakpo (Texas)
12)Denver: DE Robert Ayers (Tennessee)
13)Washington: OT Michael Oher (Mississippi)
14)Philadelphia (NO): RB Knowshon Moreno (Georgia)
15)Houston: CB Malcolm Jenkins (Ohio St)
16)San Diego: DE Aaron Maybin (Penn St)
17)Seattle (NYJ): LB Clay Matthews (USC)
18)Denver (Chi): WR Jeremy Macklin (Missouri)
19)Tampa Bay: QB Josh Freeman (Kansas St)
20)Detroit (Dal): DT Ziggy Hood (Missouri)
21)New Orleans (Phi): LB Brian Cushing (USC)
22)Minnesota: C Alex MacK (California)
23)New England: DE Connor Barwin (Cincinnati)
24)Cleveland (Atl): RB Chris Wells (Ohio St)
25)Miami: LB James Laurinaitis (Ohio St)
26)Baltimore: WR Brian Robiskie (Ohio St)
27)Indianapolis: DT Perry Jeria (Mississippi)
28)Buffalo (Car/Phi): OT Eben Britton (Arizona)
29)NY Giants: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Maryland)
30)New England (Ten): RB Donald Brown (UConn)
31)Arizona: DE Everette Brown (Florida St)
32)Pittsburgh: OL Max Unger (Oregon)

Mock Draft - Rd 2

33)Detroit: TE Brandon Pettigrew (Oklahoma St)
34)Tennessee (NE): S Louis Delmas (W. Michigan)
35)St. Louis: LB Ray Maualaga (USC)
36)Atlanta (Cle): LB Clint Sintim (Virginia)
37)Seattle: OT William Beatty (UConn)
38)Cincinnati: WR Hakeem Nicks (No. Carolina)
39)Jacksonville: DE Jarron Gilbert (San Jose St)
40)Oakland: DE Larry English (No. Illinois)
41)Greeb Bay: DT Ron Brace (Boston College)
42)Buffalo: DB Sean Smith (Utah)
43)San Francisco: CB Vontae Davis (Illinois)
44)Miami (Was): CB Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest)
45)Cleveland (NO/NYG): WR Mo Massaquoi (Georgia)
46)Houston: RB Andre Brown (No. Carolina St)
47)New England(SD): CB Darius Butler (UConn)
48)Denver: DE Paul Kruger (Utah)
49)Chicago: G Duke Robinson (Oklahoma)
50)NY Giants: TE Shawn Nelson (So. Mississippi)
51)Dallas: OL Jamon Meredith (So. Carolina)
52)Seattle(NYJ): C Eric Wood (Louisville)
53)New Orleans(Phi): LB Marcus Freeman (Ohio St)
54)Minnesota: OT Phil Loadholt (Oklahoma)
55)Atlanta: DB William Moore (Missouri)
56)Arizona(Mia): RB Shonn Greene (Iowa)
57)Baltimore: CB D.J. Moore (Vanderbilt)
58)New England: G Andy Levitre (Oregon St)
59)Carolina: OL Gerald Cadogan (Penn St)
60)NY Giants: G Herman Johnson (LSU)
61)Detroit(Ind): OL T.J. Lang (E. Michigan)
62)Tennessee: TE Chase Coffman (Missouri)
63)Arizona: WR Kenny Britt (Rutgers)
64)Pittsburgh: WR MIke Wallace (Mississippi)

Buffalo Bills Mock

1,11 - DE Brian Orakpo (Texas)
1,28 - OT Eben Britton (Arizona)
2,42 - DB Sean Smith (Utah)
3,75 - LB Jason Williams (W. Illinois)
4,110 - DT Corvey Irvin (Georgia)
4,121 - TE James Casey (Rice)
5,147 - OL Greg Isdaner (West Virginia)
6,183 - LB Nic Harris (Oklahoma)
7,220 - QB Mike Reilly (Cent. Washington)

Goobylal
04-25-2009, 07:24 AM
No way they take a DB in the 2nd round. And if Pettigrew is at their pick at #28, I think they take him, or possibly Unger.

clumping platelets
04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
There was no way the Bills would take McGahee either

clumping platelets
04-25-2009, 07:39 AM
ok......gotta make some errands happen. I'll answer any questions when I get home in a few hours

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Personally I would like that draft if it happened but I would flip the picks.

I would take Oher at #11 because we know he can definitely play the left side and I am concerned that Britton might lack the agility

At #28, I would take Everette Brown as I think the difference between him and Orakpo is paper thin, and Brown has experience has starting at LE. Orakpo is slightly bigger but not massively so.

I do like the Sean Smith call at #42 .. I think people have been forgetting about him. If we were not able to get him, I would look at the slightly smaller Sherrod Martin of Troy who has the same skills set and should be around in the 3rd.

SquishDaFish
04-25-2009, 07:43 AM
I rather Robinson over Smith. But like always Clump awesome job. :clap:

clumping platelets
04-25-2009, 07:44 AM
everybody understands the multivariate equation :up:

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 07:53 AM
If Marcus Freeman was going that high, I'd actually take him with my 2nd and then grab Sherrod Martin CB/FS with the 3rd.

I think we need to go OL before we go DT simply due to depth concerns and with Ellison, DiGiorgio and Bowen, I think we have sufficient depth here and would prefer a 2nd TE before another LB.

My one concern about Smith is his leaping ability but you can argue that at 6ft4 how high do you need to leap. I note he lept 32inches at the combine whilst Martin who is 6ft1 lept 36.5 inches so can climb almost two inches higher.

shelby
04-25-2009, 07:54 AM
:clump: :urock:

Jan Reimers
04-25-2009, 07:59 AM
everybody understands the multivariate equation :up:
Well, I CAN pronounce it.

Dr. Lecter
04-25-2009, 08:06 AM
I took an entire class on multivariate analysis in college. :nerd:

alohabillsfan
04-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Awesome job Clump, P.S. I want Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd!

MikeInRoch
04-25-2009, 08:42 AM

What were you, some kind of math major?

Jan Reimers
04-25-2009, 08:48 AM
So that's what happened.

MikeInRoch
04-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree with your equation, but I have a question about some of the variables.

It would seem to me that unless you are talking about QBs (which tend to get higher contracts relative to the "normal" at their draft position), the "salary cap" variable would be nearly irrelevant (so a4 is very close to 0), correct?

I'm curious how many people think a5 (the coefficient for 'owner') should be 0. I supposed ideally it should be, but you are right that it's not realistic.

What do you mean by "draft day" (which maps to a8)? Is that really something that is independent of something like "value", in that someone who has higher value than you expect falls in your lap for no redily apparent reason? Or is that the psychology of a team "just missing" on a player who got taken the pick before they wanted them, and therefore panicing?

casdhf
04-25-2009, 08:57 AM
uh oh, nerd war

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 09:19 AM
No way they take a DB in the 2nd round. And if Pettigrew is at their pick at #28, I think they take him, or possibly Unger.

If they go OT first in Michael Oher, there is no way they will not take a pass rusher at #28 if someone like Everette Brown is still there.

Even if Pettigrew was still there, the value of a pass rusher is too high especially considering the number of serviceable TE options available on Day2. There were guys who went last year in the 3rd who wouldn't make it into the 5th this year.

Goobylal
04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
There was no way the Bills would take McGahee either
McGahee represented a home-run pick and was taken in the 1st round. No DB in this draft qualifies as such, much less Sean Smith, who is a nice but not special player.

ddaryl
04-25-2009, 11:21 AM
So that's what happened.

I would assume that there were to many variation to list

clumping platelets
04-26-2009, 04:45 AM
:clump: bump

MikeInRoch
04-26-2009, 07:47 AM
No way they take a DB in the 2nd round.

Yep, you were right. ;)

lordofgun
04-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Screw equations. I'd like to know your thoughts on the draft as it has played out so far. :mad:

Ebenezer
04-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Trades:

1) Seattle sends #4 and 5th 2010 to NYJ for #17, #52, and 1st 2010

2) Oakland sends #7 and #216 to SF for #10, #74, and 4th 2010

3) New Orleans sends #14 to Phil for #21 and #53

4) Atlanta sends #24 to Cleveland for #36 and #104

5) Tennessee sends #30 and #130 to NE for #34 and #89

6) NY Giants sends #45, #238, and 2nd 2010 to Cleveland for #50 and WR Edwards

7) Miami sends #56 and cond 2010 to Arizona for WR Boldin

And as always this is where you got to stop. Mentally masturbating trades is impossible. Otherwise good job...now tell us what you actually thought of the real draft. :D

SABURZFAN
04-26-2009, 01:05 PM
No way they take a DB in the 2nd round.

good call, Goob. :up:

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Anyone notice that Duke Robinson is on the board still? He was supposed to be a 1st round pick

SABURZFAN
04-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Anyone notice that Duke Robinson is on the board still? He was supposed to be a 1st round pick

yes and you're wrong.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 01:11 PM

He was never supposed to be a 1st rounder...he was targeted in the 2nd. I don't know why he is falling.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 01:11 PM
yes and you're wrong.

Ha, ha....you're too much!

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
He was never supposed to be a 1st rounder...he was targeted in the 2nd. I don't know why he is falling.

Pittsburgh at 32 was where he was projected

clumping platelets
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll have post-draft thoughts soon :type:

chubluv
04-27-2009, 03:50 PM

We're waiting. :tap:

Oaf
04-27-2009, 09:13 PM
oo oo!

:nerd2:

nm

Goobylal
04-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Yep, you were right. ;)

good call, Goob. :up:
I meant they wouldn't draft a CB and keep him at CB.

clumping platelets
04-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm workin' on it