PDA

View Full Version : I Pray We Never Have To Draft First

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm sorry.

$41,000,000 guaranteed to a player who's never played a down in this league?

That is just pure insanity.

I really hope Trent locks up his spot for years to come. I don't want to guarantee Bradford $45 next year.

LETS GO TRENT!

Scumbag College
04-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Old Man Wilson would never go for that and would give the orders to trade that pick no matter what.

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 07:55 AM
I hope we can avoid drafting in the Top10 because I think all of the salaries here are ridiculous. It does seem to me that frequently the better picks actually come between 10-20, with guys who have slid determined to prove the teams ahead of them wrong.

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 08:00 AM
McKelvin and Lynch 11th - Good players
Whitner and Williams 4th/9th - Bad players

You are right.

feldspar
04-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Every time I think about top rookie contracts, I get outraged all over again. Stafford could end up totally sucking and still have almost $42 million in his pocket.

This phenomenon needs to stop. Somebody needs to put a leash on it.

This is part of the reason why we lost Peters. A Left Tackle was picked first overall last year, and got a contract that was almost 3 million more per year than any other o-lineman in the league, if my calculations are correct. This drove up the market and motivated Peters to demand as much as he did.

These rookie contracts simply cannot continue to escalate at the rate they have been. These guys haven't even begun to earn the money they are handed, and it's a toss up as to whether they will even become effective players in the NFL.

This madness has to stop.

feldspar
04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
The whole point of picking first overall is supposed to help the worst team the most, but it's kind of like a penalty. You gotta put all your eggs in one basket, and that basket might have a hole in it.

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 12:35 PM
I just don't understand why every year the first guy picked gets 5 mil more than the year before.

is inflation really like that? that one year apart, guys that possibly played against eachother in college...one year later you get 5 more million.

That's crazy.

SquishDaFish
04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
That is why the system needs to be fixed. The salary is going to increase every year. It forced Det to take a QB also seeing you dont pay that much to a LB

OpIv37
04-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Hopefully the new CBA will include a rookie cap like the NBA has, or possibly set values for each pick depending on where they're drafted, assuming we get a new CBA.

The Players' Union doesn't seem to want a rookie cap, which makes zero sense to me. There is only so much money under the cap, so if more goes to rookies, less goes to the vets who are already in the league and the union. Essentially, the union is selling out current members for future ones.

DrGraves
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
im going to pray that orakpo falls to us.

SquishDaFish
04-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Hopefully the new CBA will include a rookie cap like the NBA has, or possibly set values for each pick depending on where they're drafted, assuming we get a new CBA.

The Players' Union doesn't seem to want a rookie cap, which makes zero sense to me. There is only so much money under the cap, so if more goes to rookies, less goes to the vets who are already in the league and the union. Essentially, the union is selling out current members for future ones.

That is exactly what Bullock was saying on Sirius. That it will help out the Vet players so that teams can keep more vets to help the youngsters. It needs to be fixed and will be im sure.