PDA

View Full Version : Russ Brandon says Bills will go BPA...

sauce
04-25-2009, 09:33 AM
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This is why I like Russ Brandon....

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/650768.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/650768.html)

Bills officials insist one thing they will not do is reach for a lesser player based on need.

"Anytime you try to pigeonhole certain areas, that's where you have a tendency to get in trouble," said Russ Brandon, Buffalo Bills chief operating officer and general manager. "We're going to be true to our board. We're going to do the best job we can do to add quality football players to our team."

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 09:38 AM
so it won't be Pettigrew at #11 then

Phew

Pinkerton Security
04-25-2009, 09:39 AM
good, glad to hear it as long as he simultaneously realizes we have 2 glaring needs, if not 3

sauce

Phew

Thats what i'm thinking....

Although I have seen some big boards with Petti ranked as high as 5

The Jokeman

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/650768.html (http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/650768.html)

Bills officials insist one thing they will not do is reach for a lesser player based on need.

"Anytime you try to pigeonhole certain areas, that's where you have a tendency to get in trouble," said Russ Brandon, Buffalo Bills chief operating officer and general manager. "We're going to be true to our board. We're going to do the best job we can do to add quality football players to our team."
It's a great quote but if we end up taking Pettigrew at pick #11 then I'll have major issues.

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 09:44 AM
The problem is, in some our areas of need the 2010 class seems to be much better.

At TE it is deeper at the top, at OLB there are as many as seven guys who could be Round1 choices. This year there's a couple and then the risk of trying to convert college DEs

patmoran2006
04-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Good.. If he's true to his word, Maybin will be a Bill.

BTW, he's full of ****.. even if sanchez or crabtree were on the board at 11, we're not taking them.

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Why would we want tiny aaron maybin?

We have smallish d ends, and that's why they blow.

Lets draft another small d end.

Maybin is an OLB in a 3-4. Period.

Throne Logic
04-25-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a couple issues with that statement.

First, it's very likely that a WR might be the "BPA" when #11 comes along. That would really be a rediculously stupid move.

Second, Donte Whitner. My concern with the Donte situation is that the Bills, according to Russ's statement, had him ranked as BPA when the did ultimately select him. I've defended the Bills reaching to get a player they felt they needed to fill a hole. I don't believe as strongly as most around here in "value" for picks. A starting contributor in round one is a starting contributor. There have been plenty of "draft day steals" who ultimately busted. But I do have to question their draft rankings if Russ's statement is, in fact, the truth.

For the sake of being optimistic on this glorious day, I'll go with the assumption that this is just an easy, smoke-blowing, cop-out answer that Russ gave so he could go back to work.

sauce
04-25-2009, 09:54 AM

BTW, he's full of ****.. even if sanchez or crabtree were on the board at 11, we're not taking them.

Agree on Sanchez but if Crabtree is there (which he won't be) the Bills would nab him in a second

sauce
04-25-2009, 09:57 AM
I have a couple issues with that statement.

First, it's very likely that a WR might be the "BPA" when #11 comes along. That would really be a rediculously stupid move.

Second, Donte Whitner. My concern with the Donte situation is that the Bills, according to Russ's statement, had him ranked as BPA when the did ultimately select him. I've defended the Bills reaching to get a player they felt they needed to fill a hole. I don't believe as strongly as most around here in "value" for picks. A starting contributor in round one is a starting contributor. There have been plenty of "draft day steals" who ultimately busted. But I do have to question their draft rankings if Russ's statement is, in fact, the truth.

For the sake of being optimistic on this glorious day, I'll go with the assumption that this is just an easy, smoke-blowing, cop-out answer that Russ gave so he could go back to work.

Lets hope this helps

The Chargers have rebuilt their team primarily through the NFL players draft into one of the top three winningest teams in the NFL over the past 4-5 years. The other 2 teams are the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts. San Diego Chargers Pro Bowl Players: 2008: 9 Pro Bowlers; 2007 8 Pro Bowl Players; 2006 11 Pro Bowl Players; 2005 6 Pro Bowl Players; 2006 6 Pro Bowl Players; 2004 3 Pro Bowl Players.

Buddy Nix is considered by some to be one of the top 5 talent evaluators in the NFL. The San Diego Chargers use a system of "three deep" at each and every position where any of the three players on the depth chart for each position could start on many other NFL teams. For example: RB Michael Turner was #2 behind RB La Danian Thomlinson and RB/Special Teams player Darren Sproles was #3 on the Chargers depth chart.

The San Diego Chargers have won 4 out of the last 5 AFC West Titles with Buddy Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix)

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Dude, they're going by THEIR BOARD.

Why would they consider a WR a better player available than a position of need?

Its a trick question, this whole need based vs. BPA nonsense.

If people took the BPA, Curry would be taking on blockers in Detroit. They needed a QB, and guaranteed 41 mil to a guy I expect to be a bust.

One could say WE WILL DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (FOR US)

Mahdi
04-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Why would we want tiny aaron maybin?

We have smallish d ends, and that's why they blow.

Lets draft another small d end.

Maybin is an OLB in a 3-4. Period.
They blow because they are slow and have no pass rush skills. Kelsay is 6'4 260, hardly small. And he sucks.

Maybin has the quickest first step of any DE in the draft.

Note: Robert Mathis is 6'2 245 and was just at the Pro Bowl. He is a DE not OLB.

Size means squat. Give me a football player.

Mr. Miyagi
04-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Smokescreen

sauce
04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Dude, they're going by THEIR BOARD.

Why would they consider a WR a better player available than a position of need?

Its a trick question, this whole need based vs. BPA nonsense.

If people took the BPA, Curry would be taking on blockers in Detroit. They needed a QB, and guaranteed 41 mil to a guy I expect to be a bust.

One could say WE WILL DRAFT THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE (FOR US)

You are wrong

The Lions didn't take Curry because you CANNOT justify giving an OLB top money

Watch Curry slide out of the top 5

SquishDaFish
04-25-2009, 10:22 AM
You go best player avail on your board. Im sure WR and QB arent on the top of the board for Buffalo. And agree that Lions went best player avail and need at sametime. Stafford was a top 3 prospect on many boards im sure and if your going to give that much money out it has to be to QB. You cannot justify paying a LB that type of money. If they could of traded out im sure they would of.

casdhf
04-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Pettigrew is going to be the best player on the board at 11. he just may not be the best value

Commissioner
04-25-2009, 10:54 AM

Phew

How do you know where Pettigrew is on their board?

Maybe they feel a 3 down player who could come in and play immediately is a top 10 player?

Commissioner
04-25-2009, 10:56 AM

It sounds to me the last couple weeks that Maybin has dropping down the boards....

Fact is... none of us know who the BPA on their board will be. How many thought Donte Whitner was a couple years ago?

Commissioner
04-25-2009, 10:57 AM
If best player available is a WR, do you think they bills would do it?

jamze132
04-25-2009, 10:58 AM

I wouldn't put Sanchez above Maybin anyways. Crabtree yes though.

jamze132
04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
What sucks is that Brandon't big board is probably different than every other GM's board. I don't know too many team who wanted Whitner at #8.

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Pettigrew is going to be the best player on the board at 11. he just may not be the best value

If Pettigrew is the best player at No11, then it is one of the weakest and shallowest drafts of all time.

A TE who is slow and lacks the strength of guys 20lbs lighter ... give me a break.

This franchise doesn't deserve its fans if it makes such a joke of a selection at #11 especially when there will be top players available who fulfil a real need available.

We need men in the trenches.

Commissioner
04-25-2009, 11:47 AM
If Pettigrew is the best player at No11, then it is one of the weakest and shallowest drafts of all time.

A TE who is slow and lacks the strength of guys 20lbs lighter ... give me a break.

This franchise doesn't deserve its fans if it makes such a joke of a selection at #11 especially when there will be top players available who fulfil a real need available.

We need men in the trenches.

The only defensive end i would pick is Tyson Jackson and maybe Orakpo.

The only tackles who will be there at #11 will be projects... or possible busts (Andre Smith).

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 11:58 AM
The only defensive end i would pick is Tyson Jackson and maybe Orakpo.

The only tackles who will be there at #11 will be projects... or possible busts (Andre Smith).

Michael Oher

Commissioner
04-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Michael Oher

I like Michael Oher but I don't think he's a day 1 starter.

LtFinFan66
04-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Smokescreenthat word is so overused around draft time that it is stupid. That word should be banned

DrGraves
04-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Oher is a huge reach at 11. That would just be filling the position for the sake of filling it...

If we are really going BPA... it certainly will not be oher.

superbills
04-25-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't wait till the draft is over so I don't have to hear the words "smokescreen", "Best Player Available", and "High Motor Guy" for another year.

baalworship
04-25-2009, 12:56 PM
This team needs impact players. We don't need any more mediocre ones. I all all for BPA. If we end up with something we can't use like CB then trade down.

Dying_-2-_Live
04-25-2009, 01:09 PM
This team needs impact players. We don't need any more mediocre ones. I all all for BPA. If we end up with something we can't use like CB then trade down.
The Best player available may end up being Sanchez... Wonder what expression fans at the draft would be wearing after that

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 01:21 PM
I can't wait till the draft is over so I don't have to hear ... "High Motor Guy" for another year.

As long as Ryan Denney, Chris Kelsey, Aaron Schobel, and Keith Ellison are on this team, you're going to continue to hear "high motor guy" plenty of times.

Nighthawk
04-25-2009, 01:30 PM

He's not the only one full of s**t when they say they're taking the BPA. This philosophy is garbage and is a lie. Cutler was the best player available a few years back and we took Whitner because we already had Losman. So this saying about taking the BPA is just false.

ddaryl
04-25-2009, 01:36 PM

Maybin is a project. A sophmore coming out with limited experience and a player who force fed himself to gain quick weight.

BPA's are not projects.

if he's there at #28 then there may be an argument. At #42 without a doubt

You select Maybin at #11 IF you have a superbowl contending team and can afford to develope him... OR you know you are not competing for a chamionship until 2011

SABURZFAN
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
people are going to be pissed if the Bills pick Malcolm Jenkins.

Nighthawk
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM
people are going to be pissed if the Bills pick Malcolm Jenkins.

Yes, they would...but it won't happen.

Commissioner
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Maybin is a project. A sophmore coming out with limited experience and a player who force fed himself to gain quick weight.

BPA's are not projects.

if he's there at #28 then there may be an argument. At #42 without a doubt

You select Maybin at #11 IF you have a superbowl contending team and can afford to develope him... OR you know you are not competing for a chamionship until 2011

Couldn't agree more. Maybin is another "high motor" guy... which sounds Chris Kelsay like to me. He played at 230lbs last year and then packed on muscle for the combine. Drafting this guy would be a huge gamble... and i don't think he would be an upgrade over Kelsay this year.

SABURZFAN
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Yes, they would...but it won't happen.

you better hope they don't now.

acehole
04-25-2009, 01:46 PM
You like him because he says it.......We shall see what he does. With 4-5 large holes you can bet we will take a guy lower rated...

QUOTE=sauce]<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->This is why I like Russ Brandon....

"Anytime you try to pigeonhole certain areas, that's where you have a tendency to get in trouble," said Russ Brandon, Buffalo Bills chief operating officer and general manager. "We're going to be true to our board. We're going to do the best job we can do to add quality football players to our team."[/QUOTE]

Nighthawk
04-25-2009, 01:47 PM
you better hope they don't now.

I know...I don't want him or Pettigrew at #11.

jimbohastle51
04-25-2009, 01:47 PM
It is going to be orakpo if he slips or Matthews/maualuga

SABURZFAN
04-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I know...I don't want him or Pettigrew at #11.

Pettigrew at #11- no
Pettigrew at #28- yes if available but prefer Mack

jimbohastle51
04-25-2009, 01:50 PM
They will take Matthews over maybin or brown. But if orakpo is available they won't pass on him. And he is a better prospect than smith and over

HHURRICANE
04-25-2009, 01:59 PM

Russ Brandon is the luckiest man on the earth. I have a growing business here in Atlanta and I wouldn't hire him if he came for free.

Commissioner
04-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Not that I want Crabtree... but if he's there when we pick and the Bills go with someone else..... you know they are full of crap when they say best player available.

X-Era
04-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Not that I want Crabtree... but if he's there when we pick and the Bills go with someone else..... you know they are full of crap when they say best player available.
Same may hold for Maclin.