PDA

View Full Version : What would you guys think?

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Take a page from the Giants' book as of late.

What if we draft 2 defensive ends in the first round?

Something like Orakpo and Johnson from G Tech?

Can you have too many D ends?

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 12:50 PM
if they can play oline as well than ok

DrGraves
04-25-2009, 12:52 PM
If we trade back up into the first and grab a tackle too.. then i saw go for it

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Didn't the Jaguars try that last year with two high picks at DE?

Trouble was, they forgot the rest of the roster.

X-Era
04-25-2009, 01:07 PM

I think we need to remember that they have the luxury when they have been so successful and dont have as many needs as we do.

I dont think we can afford to.

SquishDaFish
04-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Draft a DE/LB at #11 then go OL and trade back into 1st rd and get the other either DE or LB we didnt get at #11 lol.

OR Get DE at #11 and then T later in 1st and trade back into 1st and get Mack at C

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 01:13 PM
No trading - the higher you select the more it costs to pay and we can get good value in R2

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 01:14 PM
The odds of both DEs turning out to be good players in the next 1-2 years is slim (our DE position is already so crowded).

A better strategy might be to draft one in the 1st round and another in the 4th-5th round as a developmental project.

We need help NOW at so many positions, so I would try to aim for the trenches (DT, DE, OT) with our 2 earliest picks (as long as we're not reaching).

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't think Jax forgot the rest of their roster. Their 3 starting inside linemen got hurt week 1 v Tennesse I believe.

That's big.

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Draft a DE/LB at #11 then go OL and trade back into 1st rd and get the other either DE or LB we didnt get at #11 lol.

OR Get DE at #11 and then T later in 1st and trade back into 1st and get Mack at C

I strongly disagree with this idea. Trading up is rarely justified, and has been especially bad for the Bills (McCargo, Poz) the past 2 years. Most of the time, it's better to stay put to get the most value out of our draft class.

We can't afford to lose draft picks like that. We have way too many holes to fill.

SquishDaFish
04-25-2009, 01:20 PM
I strongly disagree with this idea. Trading up is rarely justified, and has been especially bad for the Bills (McCargo, Poz) the past 2 years. Most of the time, it's better to stay put to get the most value out of our draft class.

We can't afford to lose draft picks like that. We have way too many holes to fill.

I agree with you on McCargo but POZ? Your crazy that kid is good. Yea he got hurt but he is good.

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree with you on McCargo but POZ? Your crazy that kid is good. Yea he got hurt but he is good.

Sorry, I think I wasn't being clear...

I'm not saying Poz is a bad player, I'm just saying he wasn't worth losing an extra draft pick for (I think we gave up an additional 3rd Rounder to move up like 10 spots).

1. It's highly possible Poz would've fell to our original spot in the 2nd Round anyways. No way of knowing this though.

2. If not, we still could've drafted David Harris (a guy many people on this board liked) who was taken by the Jets 2 picks after our original spot.

Would you rather have Poz? Or would you rather have had David Harris and an additional 3rd round pick?

Anyways, the bottom line is that the draft is always so unpredictable. That's why moving up for a player is a risky, and often unwarranted, move because we may just end up with another McCargo.

HHURRICANE
04-25-2009, 01:37 PM

I think your posts are really way off the mark but I actually agree with this one.

Good post.

HHURRICANE
04-25-2009, 01:38 PM
The odds of both DEs turning out to be good players in the next 1-2 years is slim (our DE position is already so crowded).

A better strategy might be to draft one in the 1st round and another in the 4th-5th round as a developmental project.

We need help NOW at so many positions, so I would try to aim for the trenches (DT, DE, OT) with our 2 earliest picks (as long as we're not reaching).

Dallas went Spears and Ware in the same draft.

ddaryl
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
we need immediate impact players at DE, OL, LB

we cannot afford to draft 2 DE's early IMO

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM

They also had a starting Tackle, a starting center, a starting linebacker, and depth at other positions

kernowboy
04-25-2009, 01:42 PM
We'd have probably fluffed the pic and there wasn't a great deal of talent that went after our original 3rd rounder and before Edwards.

The Juice Is Loose
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I think your posts are really way off the mark but I actually agree with this one.

Good post.

Thanks but, when I have been "way off the mark"?

Because I think Schobel can do what he did 2 years ago?

HHURRICANE
They also had a starting Tackle, a starting center, a starting linebacker, and depth at other positions

Dallas was not that good of a team when they took Spears and Ware as I remember.

The Bills have decent DTs so they only thing we are risking is LB and I think we can get that in the second.

This is EXACTLY why I said you need some vets!!! Now you are agreeing we have too many holes.

kernowboy

Spears is more a T/E whilst Ware a DE/OLB - not really similar positions in their formation.

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 01:49 PM

That's exactly my point. Spears didn't start becoming an impact player until the past 1-2 years. He was drafted like 4 years ago.

We need help NOW at several positions, which is why drafting 2 DEs is probably not appropriate. What are the odds both are going to start this year?? The DE position is already so crowded. We would be better off drafting an OT and a DE with high picks, and having both start this year.

Lastly, the Cowboys thing is a bit misleading. They run a 3-4, and Spears is a D-End while Ware is an OLB.

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Dallas was not that good of a team when they took Spears and Ware as I remember.

The Bills have decent DTs so they only thing we are risking is LB and I think we can get that in the second.

This is EXACTLY why I said you need some vets!!! Now you are agreeing we have too many holes.

they were decent. but thats not the point. i never said we didnt have holes. ive said numerous times that we have a lot of holes. taking two de's is like taking a TE early, we just dont have that luxury. we need to go lines lines lines....and possibly linebacker

Mitchell55
04-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Grabing both and Loadholt/Mack/Unger in round 2 could work. Beckum or casey later in the 4th and Freeman in the 3rd.

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 01:54 PM
i just cant wait for this crap to be over with so the months of speculation can be over

HHURRICANE
04-25-2009, 01:54 PM
they were decent. but thats not the point. i never said we didnt have holes. ive said numerous times that we have a lot of holes. taking two de's is like taking a TE early, we just dont have that luxury. we need to go lines lines lines....and possibly linebacker

Unfortunaely this will be the 4th year that we are still filling holes which means our FO sucks.

I agree that TE is a luxury early but 2 DEs might work. Seems like nothing else is.

I have taken alot of a crap over Peters but mark my words that Schobel will not be playing a full season or will be irrelevant.

I have friends that say they are shcoked that the Bills think he's okay to go.

Even if Schobel finishes the entire season I promise he doesn't see more than 5 sacks. I'll put money on it.

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 01:58 PM
id llike to be able to get some stud DEs in here, but that is actually one of the few parts of the defense (good or not) where we actually have starters. Secondary has a spot open, linbacker has a spot open, ill even say DT has a spot open