PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Replaces Simpson At Safety

Night Train
04-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Pro Football Weekly says he projects to Free Safety and has obvious ballhawking ability.

How many INT's did our Safeties have last year ? Yeah , I hear you.

3 picks. 3 starters.

Devin
04-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Well our non-existant pass rush will give him plenty of opportunities to try and break up plays.

ddaryl
04-25-2009, 07:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jairus-byrd?id=79899#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Analysis
Positives: Well-built athlete. ... Good initial jam at the line of scrimmage. ... Loose hips to turn and run with the receiver. ... Can shadow the receiver due to very good lateral quickness and the ability to plant and go out of his cuts. ... Late explosive burst to close on the ball. ... Gets his hands on a lot of passes. ... Natural playmaker with soft hands for the interception. ... Times leaps well and can snatch the ball out of the air. ... Good body control to make the catch outside of his frame. ... Natural with the ball in his hands. ... Good feel for the return. ... Good vision to set up blocks. ... Good agility and has a quick burst to accelerate. ... Reliable open-field tackler. ... Breaks down in space well and wraps his arms securely. ... Willing to come up in run support. ... Good bloodlines. ... Father Gill Byrd was a two-time Pro Bowl cornerback with San Diego and recently served as Chicago Bears DBs coach.

Negatives: More quick than he is fast. ... May lack the straight-line speed for a traditional man-to-man scheme. ... Can be grabby in coverage, likely to lead to pass interference penalties in the NFL. ... Reliable open-field tackler, but isn't an intimidating hitter. ... Assisted by an aggressive pass rush and a veteran secondary at Oregon.

well what I like about him is that his positives are twice as big as his negatives

other then that... WHO ??? I didn't research any CB's

If he can play S then great

Night Train
04-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Well our non-existant pass rush will give him plenty of opportunities to try and break up plays.

That's the spirit ! :bf1:

ddaryl

we did address this at #11... at least that was the plan I think

Night Train
17 INT's

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 07:38 PM
I thought Whitner was going to play Free Safety??????

TheMan08
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM

Relax.Re can grab Kruger or Gilbert in 3rd Rd

Night Train
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
I thought Whitner was going to play Free Safety??????

17 INTS's > 1

Devin
04-25-2009, 07:40 PM
we did address this at #11... at least that was the plan I think

Ah right we got Maybin, I forgot. We are all set now.

X-Era
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Pro Football Weekly says he projects to Free Safety and has obvious ballhawking ability.

How many INT's did our Safeties have last year ? Yeah , I hear you.

3 picks. 3 starters.

So, I can see the concept of a S. But Byrd? How about William Moore, Rashad Johnson, or even Chip Vaughn?

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
17 INTS's > 1

That's too bad then. Where the hell is Whitner going to play?

They reason they moved him from Strong Safety in the 1st place is because he wasn't good enough there.

ddaryl
04-25-2009, 07:42 PM
That moves Whitner to SS where he can play in the box and where INT opportunities are less.

If Byrd the guy can INT the ball its a good move... I hope

but we have a lot of CB's on the roster.. Someone is getting moved

X-Era
04-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Well, it looks like were not the only team thats lost on who the best S's are.

Oak takes Mitchell, Denver takes McBath.

Yet, Moore and Johnson are still there.

Mitchell55
04-25-2009, 07:44 PM
So, I can see the concept of a S. But Byrd? How about William Moore, Rashad Johnson, or even Chip Vaughn?

Byrd. Best playmaking DB in the draft. Buffalo, 0 playmaking safteys.

Night Train
04-25-2009, 07:45 PM

They reason they moved him from Strong Safety in the 1st place is because he wasn't good enough there.

What ? They moved him because Simpson was constantly hurt and they had Scott for SS and no other FS.

Are you just making things up to justify some position ?

BILLSROCK1212
04-25-2009, 07:47 PM
i think we'll all warm up to this pick as long as he plays safety....gives our secondary more than enough depth

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 07:50 PM
What ? They moved him because Simpson was constantly hurt and they had Scott for SS and no other FS.

Are you just making things up to justify some position ?
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/clear.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyCopy">The Bills are reportedly considering moving Donte Whitner to free safety full time.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/clear.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="vaLink">Buffalo toyed with this idea last offseason, but nixed it to keep Ko Simpson in the lineup. The Bills believe Whitner's cover skills are wasted playing "in the box," however, and think he'll be a bigger playmaker in center field.

-USA TODAY
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Nighthawk
04-25-2009, 07:50 PM
i think we'll all warm up to this pick as long as he plays safety....gives our secondary more than enough depth

I'll warm up to it if they get a TE and some LB help and some more OL. Stop picking these freakin' CB's!!! God this organization is awful.

Michael82
04-25-2009, 07:53 PM
If he's going to be our SS or even FS....I'm fine with this pick. We need a safety who can make plays and apparently he can.

Tatonka
04-25-2009, 07:56 PM

i disagree completely. he moved to FS because Simpson was not good and there was no better replacement.

SS is his natural position and he is fine there.

Mitchell55
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM
If ODB wants to make up for this either make a trade or get TJ in the 3rd and the best TE availible in one of the 4ths.

Nighthawk
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM
If he's going to be our SS or even FS....I'm fine with this pick. We need a safety who can make plays and apparently he can.

He can't play SS...it will be FS and he better be able to learn quick...because we wasted a 2nd rounder on a project.

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 07:58 PM
i disagree completely. he moved to FS because Simpson was not good and there was no better replacement.

SS is his natural position and he is fine there.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/clear.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="bodyCopy">The Bills are reportedly considering moving Donte Whitner to free safety full time.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/images/clear.gif</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="vaLink">Buffalo toyed with this idea last offseason, but nixed it to keep Ko Simpson in the lineup. The Bills believe Whitner's cover skills are wasted playing "in the box," however, and think he'll be a bigger playmaker in center field.

-USA TODAY
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Tatonka
04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
ah.. the usa today is flawless.

Mitchell55
04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Happy a holes. We just traded

Lexwhat
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
ah.. the usa today is flawless.

Nice rebuttal.

losman2evans
04-25-2009, 08:31 PM
2 #1 picks and a second round pic and McGee in our secondary sounds good
2 probowlers ( Stroud and Schoebel) and a #1 draft pick (Maybin) on our d line sounds good.
Hoping Schoebel returns from injury back to 2007 form.

Need another DT in our rotation and another LB ( Ellison is a weak link)

Our offense is shaping up- Need a LT ( bring back Jonas Jennings for veteran minimum?) and a TE ( should be addressed in this draft)

I believe we addressed important areas of need.

Michael82
04-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Byrd said on WGR that he's a safety and the Bills confirmed that he's going to be a safety.

TheMan08
04-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Byrd said on WGR that he's a safety and the Bills confirmed that he's going to be a safety.

SWEEEEEEEEEEET.