Is it possible that Butler will play RT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • historypete
    • Feb 2005

Is it possible that Butler will play RT?

Just looking at Chris Brown's blog and he said the Bills see Wood as a Guard and backing up Hangartner. Okay, but why then do we trade up into the second round and pick up what many believe was the #1 Guard in the draft? The only thing I'm thinking is that it may be possible that the two rookies might start at Guard, Hangartner at Center and then they move Butler to RT.

It is not out of the realm of possiblity. He did play tackle at VA. He has the size, but I'm not sure about the speed. But then again, RT usually aren't as quick as LT. Anyway, just a thought I that crept up. Any ideas???
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Re: Is it possible that Butler will play RT?

To justify the everything you just said, everyone here is going to tell you that yes... butler will be an excellent Guard. Because they can't admit that the Bills just did something stupid and drafted 2 players, signed a FA and had 1 good OL player in Butler to fill the 3 interior spots.

Levitre and Butler DID play OT in college where the speed isn't nearly as bad. But none of those 4 will do well at RT in the NFL if moved. For the exact reason you mentioned... none are mobile enough in space... even at RT.

Comment

• Mitchell55
      only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
      To justify the everything you just said, everyone here is going to tell you that yes... butler will be an excellent Guard. Because they can't admit that the Bills just did something stupid and drafted 2 players, signed a FA and had 1 good OL player in Butler to fill the 3 interior spots.

Levitre and Butler DID play OT in college where the speed isn't nearly as bad. But none of those 4 will do well at RT in the NFL if moved. For the exact reason you mentioned... none are mobile enough in space... even at RT.

Butlers has good feet and is strong. 2 keys to OT. Butler would make a very good tackle.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Butler will be our starting RT.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mitchell55
          Butlers has good feet and is strong. 2 keys to OT. Butler would make a very good tackle.
          So an average right guard on a weak offensive line team becomes a tackle.

Butler hasn´t gotten faster or stronger, he is a slow, slighly below average right guard.

He is what he is, and you heard it here first.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
            So an average right guard on a weak offensive line team becomes a tackle.

Butler hasn´t gotten faster or stronger, he is a slow, slighly below average right guard.

He is what he is, and you heard it here first.
            then maybe we drafted Levitre to replace Butler?

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

Yeah... I don't know. I was still on the fence with Butler at RG, arguably the weakest position on an O line. Now we're talking about him at RT? With two rookies next to him?

Comment

• Al the Bills Fan
                • Aug 2007

Here is how I see the line

LT - Walker
                LG- Wood
                C- Hangarter
                RG- Levitre
                RT- Butler

I guess you can swap the guards and that would work too

Comment

• kid mickey
                  • Apr 2009

I don't know what Butler is gonna be doing. Maybe he could move out to tackle. Langston Walker is gonna be the LT obviously until Bell gets it. I was really pulling for Oher, but I guess the Bills didn't see what he had over what Bell could have. We will see.
                  Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• Griz78
                    • Sep 2002

First thing I thought of as well with Butler at Tackle. Seems like we are going to a zoner blocking scheme maybe with some smaller quciker guys?

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Griz78
                      First thing I thought of as well with Butler at Tackle. Seems like we are going to a zoner blocking scheme maybe with some smaller quciker guys?
                      Umm... There is not much small or quick about any of our guys. This is no zone blocking OL.

I would prefer Wood at C to handle NT"s over Hangartner.

Butler is not quick enough to play OT in the NFL. But I thought he was pretty good at RG myself.
                      Last edited by Canadian'eh!; 04-25-2009, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Griz78
                        Zone blocking scheme would be interesting... although these guys aren't really light! I guess compared to our recent lines. Starting to warm to the idea of Butler at RT, but still not sold. Maybe, just maybe, that is his natural position? Time will tell... I just hope we didn't pass on a sure thing with Britton. That would be my one regret if he pans out... I can even live with the Byrd pick, but Britton may be the next Ngata, Willis, etc. (guys I was hoping we'd draft).

Comment

Working...
                        X