PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I missed a LOT

psubills62
04-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Here's a summary of my initial thoughts on our draft. Unfortunately, I was helping my sister and brother-in-law moving today, so while I was able to catch most of the draft (during dinner and randomly throughout the evening), I didn't see any commentary or anything.

Buffalo Bills (rounds 1,2)

1. Maybin is a project who doesn't seem to fit our scheme. Maybe he's the next Schobel, who can play at 240 pounds and do well against the run AND the pass. I do know that Maybin is better against the run than it may seem. Ohio State (with Chris Wells, who weighs about as much as Maybin) actually gameplanned against Maybin to "show that he is not a great run defender." I specifically remember reading that before the game. Well, Chris Wells got about 60+ yards on 20+ carries, averaging less than 3 yards per carry. So maybe Maybin can do well against the run with time.

2. It's obvious that the Bills still LOVE versatility. Everyone except Maybin can play multiple positions. Wood can play C and G, Byrd can play S and CB, Levitre can play T and G. We need that, with so many holes to fill.

3. Byrd, imo, was a good pick. We need playmakers (e.g. Byrd and Maybin), who can create turnovers. We also needed a safety, big-time. We had Scott, Whitner, and...? Simpson isn't a legitimate starter anymore, I don't consider George Wilson as a legitimate starter. We NEEDED depth, and now we have even more depth at CB, where multiple injuries occurred last year.

4. I like the Levitre pick...but I don't like that we traded two mid-round picks. If you can't tell, there's a LOT of depth in this draft. Only two tight ends have gone so far, and the run on them is sure to begin soon. They can probably still get Gronkowski in the 4th, but who knows? They still have other holes to fill, and I'm REALLY, REALLY hoping that they trade Kelsay and Parrish for more picks for more maneuverability.

5. Overall, I sort of like this draft. I'm cautiously optimistic. We have guys who can protect Edwards now, although we may need to grab an OT later. I also wouldn't be surprised to see another DE drafted, and Freddy Keiaho signed at OLB soon. Because it just doesn't look like we're going to grab one this draft.

Rest of the NFL

1. Is it just me, or were there a lot of reaches and picks that just didn't match the scheme? Maybin didn't really match our scheme. Paul Kruger was supposed to be a 4-3 DE, but went to the Ravens. Evander Hood is more of a penetrating DT than a DL-man for a 3-4. Mohamed Massaquoi is OK, but not worth a 2nd rounder. And as EdwardsEra pointed out...Sebastian Vollmer to the Pats? Seriously?

2. DB's ruled the second round, not DE's. Guys who were hyped shortly before the draft (Jarron Gilbert, Lawrence Sidbury) never heard their names, while safeties and CB's galore went flying off the boards.

3. No tight ends in the first two rounds except Pettigrew and...Richard Quinn? Maybe it's just me, but I think fans SERIOUSLY undervalue the ability to block as a TE. Both of those guys are known more for their blocking rather than receiving. And while the run on TE's will start soon, the fact that none of the Nelson's, Cook's, etc. were taken in the second round speaks volumes to me.

I may add more to this, especially if it garners multiple responses. But I really missed out this year, since I wasn't able to be locked into the computer/TV. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Bills' draft...I want to see what happens in the later rounds.

ServoBillieves
04-25-2009, 10:41 PM
good read, but I'll only comment on one thing: I think that the Pats got an ungodly steal with Vollmer

The Spaz
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM
good read, but I'll only comment on one thing: I think that the Pats got an ungodly steal with Vollmer

Why because it's the pats?

psubills62
04-25-2009, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the reply...any particular reason you think that they got a steal with Vollmer?

The Spaz
04-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply...any particular reason you think that they got a steal with Vollmer?

I would like to hear it too most of my guides have him as a late round pick or a UDFA.