PDA

View Full Version : What positions will the Bills address in Day 2?

psubills62
04-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Just wondering what positions you think the Bills will take in Day 2, assuming they only use the picks they currently have. Here are my thoughts:

They have addressed the interior OL sufficiently, imo. Maybe one more OT. I think they could possibly avoid OLB, with Keiaho still available and now Leroy Hill on the market.

Here's my picks:
-TE (specifically Dan Gronkowski)
-DE (more specifically, a DE that has the ability and build to line up at LDE, someone like Maurice Evans. I'd LOVE it if they traded back into the third to get a DE/DT tweener like Jarron Gilbert or Alex Magee).
-DT (depth, challenge John McCargo)
-OT (Bell is developing nicely, but maybe some insurance for OL depth).

I believe they'll sign a UDFA FB, as not many (one, maybe two) will be drafted. They'll also draft a slot WR IF they manage to trade Parrish.

TheMan08
04-25-2009, 11:18 PM
LB- Jason williams

DT

DE

TE

In that order

DrGraves
04-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I feel like day 2 will be a wash as far as positions goes, especially without the 3rd and early 4th...

just pick the best talent out there no matter what the position

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 11:23 PM
what time does it start back up tomorrow?

we gotta go TE or Tackle next

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 11:26 PM
i know buffalo is high on cook, but i dont think he'll make it all the way to us. i hope coffman lasts

psubills62
04-25-2009, 11:26 PM
what time does it start back up tomorrow?

we gotta go TE or Tackle next

The third round starts at 10 a.m. EST, I believe. As far as when the Bills will pick next...who knows. There's the third round and half the fourth before we pick again (barring any more trades, which I'm really, really hoping for, btw).

nateodoms'bff
04-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I love the idea of Jarron Gilbert.

I'm trying to come around to the idea of Maybin. My main complaint is his size, and if he gains weight, how will that affect his quickness off the line. If he loses that step, he loses what makes him special. I think he has great POTENTIAL, but also could be a complete bust because he lacks size. (or quickness due to size). So maybe another DE with size, Like Jarron Gilbert. But then the locker room gets a little crowded...

I really wantED a quality OLB. I don't really know anything about the guys left out there, that work in this system.

If they trade away Roscoe, I'd love another gadget guy. A fast little guy, with OK hands. Don't know if one is available.

BILLSROCK1212
04-25-2009, 11:30 PM
dont we need a kicker?? isnt Lindell's contract up soon??

Mitchell55
04-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Trade next year 3rd and Parrish to move up in the 3rd and get Gilbert. With the 4th get Freeman, and the 5th get Beckum. Based on the draft all will fall.

FlyingDutchman
04-25-2009, 11:34 PM
did michael johnson get drafted yet?

TheMan08
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Nope

nateodoms'bff
04-25-2009, 11:38 PM
I was just reading about Freeman.

He sounds like Keith Ellison, but with more upside. Not very interested in a player like that.

I was hoping for Laurianitis, then Sintim. Both were available... So now they are left with almost carbon copies of guys they already have, in the draft, and have to move picks around to get at them. Not a good position to be in.

psubills62
04-25-2009, 11:41 PM
I love the idea of Jarron Gilbert.

I'm trying to come around to the idea of Maybin. My main complaint is his size, and if he gains weight, how will that affect his quickness off the line. If he loses that step, he loses what makes him special. I think he has great POTENTIAL, but also could be a complete bust because he lacks size. (or quickness due to size). So maybe another DE with size, Like Jarron Gilbert. But then the locker room gets a little crowded...

I really wantED a quality OLB. I don't really know anything about the guys left out there, that work in this system.

If they trade away Roscoe, I'd love another gadget guy. A fast little guy, with OK hands. Don't know if one is available.

I love the idea of Jarron Gilbert too...I just seriously doubt we get him at this point.

As far as Maybin goes, I'm struggling with it. He was a great college player, but does he fit our scheme and how long will it take for him to be productive? I believe he could be similar to Schobel - a good pass-rushing DE who is solid against the run, despite being 240-250 pounds.

The reason I believe this is partly because of how Maybin played against good RB's. He had TFL, I'm assuming in the running game since they weren't sacks, against guys like Shonn Greene, PJ Hill, etc., who are all NFL-worthy backs. I also specifically remember hearing the Ohio State, with Chris "Beanie" Wells, were going into the OSU-PSU game specifically planning on showing that Maybin was not good at defending the run. Well, Chris Wells had less than 3 yards per carry on 20+ carries that game. So I think Maybin can play the run, even at a smaller size. And he was facing OT Alex Boone, a big guy, and Wells, who is about as big as Maybin was in 2008.

There's a lot of little slot receivers who are better than Parrish left in this draft. Jarrett Dillard, Mike Thomas, Austin Collie, Deon Butler, Jordan Norwood, Brandon Gilbert, etc. are all very solid slot WR's.

I'm unsure about the OLB's. I believe that if our DE's and DT's are better, that alone will make Ellison look decent. It would be nice to at least sign Keiaho though.

Bmax
04-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Just wondering what positions you think the Bills will take in Day 2, assuming they only use the picks they currently have. Here are my thoughts:

They have addressed the interior OL sufficiently, imo. Maybe one more OT. I think they could possibly avoid OLB, with Keiaho still available and now Leroy Hill on the market.

Here's my picks:
-TE (specifically Dan Gronkowski)
-DE (more specifically, a DE that has the ability and build to line up at LDE, someone like Maurice Evans. I'd LOVE it if they traded back into the third to get a DE/DT tweener like Jarron Gilbert or Alex Magee).
-DT (depth, challenge John McCargo)
-OT (Bell is developing nicely, but maybe some insurance for OL depth).

I believe they'll sign a UDFA FB, as not many (one, maybe two) will be drafted. They'll also draft a slot WR IF they manage to trade Parrish.

I can't for the life of me see what is the big deal about Gronkowski.. He is a back up at best... A 6th or 7th rd guy who can block and catch some balls. He will not be a starter in the NFL..

We have had enough guys like him on the roster before. Remember Tim Euhus, Mark Campbell, schouman. Enough already......

Here is a name for You Davon Drew a guy who is moving up boards and maybe gone by the time we pick but a better prospect than Gronkowski.. I know Gronkowski is a local kid but . I want guys who can make plays not take up roster spots...

Bmax

nateodoms'bff
04-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I totally agree with you about a lot of the positives about Maybin.

I love the way he plays. He is not afraid to tackle, he tackles with his arms, and goes for the ball, which is as much instinct as it is learned. He has all of the skills you look for in an all-pro pass rushing DE.

The problem is that he will be facing RT's on most passing downs. Schoebel is not moving from the left side. Not this year anyway. He needs a little bit more size. It's the one draw back on him since the beginning of this evaluation process we all love being a part of. Everyone says, "oh he'll gain weight at camp", and thats great. My fear, like I said, is how much of that first step quickness that makes him great, gets lost in 8-10 of muscle, which is a lot of weight in muscle...

Its the one thing that frustrates me about college players like Orakpo. You could see it on his face today that he's only here for the money. He has this incredible physique and can lift weights, and has this highlite reel swagger, but doesn't really live up to the hype when you measure his negatives against the flashes of brilliance. And then you have a guy like Maybin, who with Orakpo's body type, could be the next Reggie White or Bruce Smith.... Sorry for the tangent..