PDA

View Full Version : Realistic opinion of the draft so far...

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I certainly don't think our draft was horrible. It's obvious that the Bills followed a hybrid BPA. The problem it's that is their opinion. With that said:

#11 pick: The only real issue is do you beleive that Maybin is better than Orakpo? I would have gone Orakpo here but i think at this point it's hard to call out the FO. You just don't know at this point.

# 28 pick: Wood got taken higher than he was projected which is classic Buffalo. He was going to be an earlier 2nd round pick and Gil Brandt knew the team that was taking him. With that said I think this is an excellent pick as long as he plays Center. The Guy is an awesome Center and Gil Brandt said miving him to gurad is a mistake. I just gil Brandt alot.

#42: Another ****ing CB!!!! the guys is 5'10" which may make him shorter than McGee. It's obvious that the Bills policy of not resigning players will stay alive with McGee so this is his replacement. This is exactly why the Bills conitnue to suck. The secondary isn't the problem. getting to the QB is.

Trade up and get Rey Malauga who got picked at #38

#51: Levitre is a nice pickup but I hate giving up 3rds. With that said I still like the pick.

The Bills were very high on Jared Cook so they have decided TE isn't a prioirity even though they spent all off-season talking about it. At the combine they even said they need one. I think that opportunity disappeared with the Peters and the Dockery moves.

Above is it boys. The remaining rounds are where most of the Shoumans, Wendlings, and Fines live.

Overall Evaluation: 2 great pickups for the o-line if they use them intelligently, a coin flip at DE, and a wasted CB pick.

If Maybin plays well it was a decent first day. If he doesn't than this is a another below average effort.

The Bills still need a LB and LT vet pick up from another team.

realdealryan
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM
#42: Another ****ing CB!!!! the guys is 5'10" which may make him shorter than McGee. It's obvious that the Bills policy of not resigning players will stay alive with McGee so this is his replacement. This is exactly why the Bills conitnue to suck. The secondary isn't the problem. getting to the QB is.

He's a safety.

Tatonka
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM
they have clearly stated that byrd is a safety. i dont think they see him as mcgees replacement at all. that would be assuming they let mcgee go.. youboty and corner are both options.. as well as florence drayton.

SquishDaFish
04-26-2009, 10:03 AM
He is a FS sorry HH your wrong

FlyingDutchman
04-26-2009, 10:11 AM
i dont find this realisitic at all.

-agree with thoughts on maybin

-Wood, would have not made it to us in the 2nd. Mack went off the board early, if thats buffalos guy, then you go get him. He was projected late 1st to early 2nd...where did we get him again?....who projected him to go later...you? the same guy who said michael crabtree should not be a first rounder?

-Byrd is not playing corner, check your facts

-Malauga....how about no.....

-Levitre we gave up A 3rd, as in singular. You hate getting a 2nd rounder for a 3rd.....?

-Seriously, the Bills dont care about TEs? you really gonna play that card...theres been TWO rounds, and we got 4 starters.....and youre gonna ***** about TEs....especially when theres a ton on the boards....please.....

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
i dont find this realisitic at all.

-agree with thoughts on maybin

-Wood, would have not made it to us in the 2nd. Mack went off the board early, if thats buffalos guy, then you go get him. He was projected late 1st to early 2nd...where did we get him again?....who projected him to go later...you? the same guy who said michael crabtree should not be a first rounder?

-Byrd is not playing corner, check your facts

-Malauga....how about no.....

-Levitre we gave up A 3rd, as in singular. You hate getting a 2nd rounder for a 3rd.....?

-Seriously, the Bills dont care about TEs? you really gonna play that card...theres been TWO rounds, and we got 4 starters.....and youre gonna ***** about TEs....especially when theres a ton on the boards....please.....

1) I thought we gave up a 3rd and 4th for Levitre? I'm working a ton this weekend for some stuff I have going on next week so if I'm wrong I apologize.

2) I know what the bills said about Byrd and I don't beleive them. Either way the pick was stupid based on other holes we have and the fact getting to the QB is the only thing wrong with our secondary at the moment.

3) I like the Woods pick but for whatever reason we seem to be always taking guys ahead of their spot becasue we need to. ie. McCargo and Whitner.

4) The Bills, not me, talked up a TE all off-season. Go to the official site if you don't believe me. I'm just saying that they had to have an about face so why are you beating up on me about it?

justasportsfan
04-26-2009, 10:55 AM
1) I thought we gave up a 3rd and 4th for Levitre? I'm working a ton this weekend for some stuff I have going on next week so if I'm wrong I apologize.

2) I know what the bills said about Byrd and I don't beleive them. Either way the pick was stupid based on other holes we have and the fact getting to the QB is the only thing wrong with our secondary at the moment.

3) I like the Woods pick but for whatever reason we seem to be always taking guys ahead of their spot becasue we need to. ie. McCargo and Whitner.

4) The Bills, not me, talked up a TE all off-season. Go to the official site if you don't believe me. I'm just saying that they had to have an about face so why are you beating up on me about it?
since the bills didn't do anything great, I take it you're leaving bz after today :bigwave:

Tatonka
04-26-2009, 11:01 AM
since the bills didn't do anything great, I take it you're leaving bz after today :bigwave:

no. he is a liar.

cpearl
04-26-2009, 11:02 AM
If you haven't learned yet, nobody cares what you think. But thank's for the essay on our draft and your expert assessment of it.

PromoTheRobot
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm glad you gave a realistic opinion instead of your usual slanted negative appraisal. Also nice you did your homework. You did know that Byrd is going to play Free Safety right? I mean to tee off on the Bills for drafting another CB without knowing that would make you seem...well, somewhat ill-informed.

PTR

I certainly don't think our draft was horrible. It's obvious that the Bills followed a hybrid BPA. The problem it's that is their opinion. With that said:

#11 pick: The only real issue is do you beleive that Maybin is better than Orakpo? I would have gone Orakpo here but i think at this point it's hard to call out the FO. You just don't know at this point.

# 28 pick: Wood got taken higher than he was projected which is classic Buffalo. He was going to be an earlier 2nd round pick and Gil Brandt knew the team that was taking him. With that said I think this is an excellent pick as long as he plays Center. The Guy is an awesome Center and Gil Brandt said miving him to gurad is a mistake. I just gil Brandt alot.

Trade up and get Rey Malauga who got picked at #38

#51: Levitre is a nice pickup but I hate giving up 3rds. With that said I still like the pick.

The Bills were very high on Jared Cook so they have decided TE isn't a prioirity even though they spent all off-season talking about it. At the combine they even said they need one. I think that opportunity disappeared with the Peters and the Dockery moves.

Above is it boys. The remaining rounds are where most of the Shoumans, Wendlings, and Fines live.

Overall Evaluation: 2 great pickups for the o-line if they use them intelligently, a coin flip at DE, and a wasted CB pick.

If Maybin plays well it was a decent first day. If he doesn't than this is a another below average effort.

The Bills still need a LB and LT vet pick up from another team.

Lexwhat
04-26-2009, 11:07 AM

We gave up our only 3rd rounder, and the better of our two 4th rounders.

The 4th rounder we got from Philly is what we still have.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Fair assessment from your point of view HH and I understand it. I even agree with you on some points. Just not some crucial ones. Still, you are certainly entitled to have your opinion. And, for all I know, you may be more right than wrong. Still, please let me offer a couple of comments.

I understand how you feel about Maybin. It's pretty much how I would feel if the Bills went with Orakpo, perhaps with a touch more vehemence (which is quite ok). I agree with you that this pick really influences just how good or bad the Bills did on Day One.

I also have a lot of respect for Gil Brandt. The guy has a lot of insight.

I also happen to agree about Wood probably being a better center than OG. But, I think he is going to end up at center--perhaps as early as the beginning of next season.

Why? If you listen to Coach Kugler's comments on Wood and Levitre, he says that Wood will work at both positions and they will see what happens. But, he then adds, "we're going to start him out at guard". That doesn't sound like they are planning on him playing OG for the next ten years. It sounds to me like they are going to put him at guard, where he won't have the responsibility for making the offensive line calls in addition to learning how to play in the NFL, for his rookie year and, if he can beat out Hangartner for the center job next year (or Hangartner can't handle the NTs in the AFC East), then move him to center after he has gotten his feet wet in the NFL.

I was almost as upset as you are with the Byrd pick when it was announced. But my mind has been changed about this pick to a considerable extent since then--although I still do have some reservations about it.

What changed my mind about Byrd were: 1.) the fact that the Bills picked him up to play safety and because, as a former corner, he would have the ability to cover receivers in the slot when the Bills aren't in a nickle or dime package; 2.) the number of turnovers that he generated against pretty good offensive talent in the Pac-10--the Bills need ball-hawks who can generate turnovers; 3.) the fact that a lot of scouting reports and "experts" actually like the pick--or, as one commentator said, "the guy does everything well, except run" when talking about Byrd as a CB; and 4.) McGee will be a UFA, Youboty will be a RFA, George Wilson will probably be a UFA if the Bills only sign him for one year, Wendling may be coming to the end of his rookie contract next season, Simpson probably will be cut or traded, and there is no guarantee that Florence will regain the form that he had with SD--so the Bills are going to need depth in their secondary, not just for this year, but because they are not likely to be able to bring back all of the guys who are going to be eligible for free agency next season and they won't be able to fill that many spots with quality players in one offseason (this is a pick for the future where, if the guy contributes a bit this year, fine, but next year they may need a lot more out of him).

I agree that the secondary was not an immediate need for this year, but the good teams also prepare for the future and I now see this as a good move for the future that may help a bit this year if injuries strike the secondary the way that they have the last couple of seasons. Still, Byrd will have to prove that he was worth the pick.

I like Maualuga. But, after hearing some of the comments that were made about his questionable speed and need to play with greater control, I can understand why the Bills and a lot of other teams passed on him. Taking Maualuga would have meant moving Poz to OLB. Not impossible, but Maualuga doesn't have the speed to cover the deep middle in a Tampa 2 defense. Poz wouldn't be the fastest OLB and it would be hard to go with two LBs who don't have enough speed to execute their responsibilities in the defense. You can cover for one guy, but covering for two would leave the defense too vulnerable.

I probably had more questions about the Levitre pick than you did. But, again, the more I learned about him the more I have come to like the pick.

The Bills didn't give up a 3rd. They moved their 3rd round pick up into the 2nd round. They had to give up a 4th rounder to do that. I don't like the fact that they had to give up such a high pick, but, considering the prices that teams have had to pay to move up in this draft (NE is getting 2nd rounders next year, plus for their 3rd rounders), that actually wasn't that high of a price. It wasn't as good a deal as the Jets were able to get in their trade up with Cleveland (anyone ready to accuse NE, NY Jets, Cleveland, KC of insider trading yet?)--where they fleeced the Browns--but it really wasn't that bad for the pick the Bills got.

I was also upset that the Bills didn't take a TE in Round 2. But, considering the way that all of the TEs have dropped in this draft, maybe we were all overvaluing the TEs in this draft class. Cook just got taken late in the 3rd round and he is only the third TE to go off the board. So, we'll just have to wait to see what happens with the Bills and the TEs.

I agree that, if the guys the Bills took develop to where they play up to their potential, this could be a decent first day. But, the real test will be whether they get some difference-makers out of this draft. It is tough to determine whether an offensive lineman is a difference-maker, so Byrd is going to have to prove that he was worth the pick and I agree with you that Maybin will determine just how good this draft really is. If he becomes a John Abraham, the Bills did pretty good. If he plays like Dwight Freeney, they did great. If he plays like Aaron Schobel, they did OK. If he plays like Chris Kelsay, it will turn out to be a disappointing day. But, we won't know just how good he will be until at least next year--DEs rarely dominate as rookies, even when they become dominant players, and he is only going to play situationally as a rookie, which will limit the number of snaps that he will get this season.

Fair enough?

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Fair assessment from your point of view HH and I understand it. I even agree with you on some points. Just not some crucial ones. Still, you are certainly entitled to have your opinion. And, for all I know, you may be more right than wrong. Still, please let me offer a couple of comments.

I understand how you feel about Maybin. It's pretty much how I would feel if the Bills went with Orakpo, perhaps with a touch more vehemence (which is quite ok). I agree with you that this pick really influences just how good or bad the Bills did on Day One.

I also have a lot of respect for Gil Brandt. The guy has a lot of insight.

I also happen to agree about Wood probably being a better center than OG. But, I think he is going to end up at center--perhaps as early as the beginning of next season.

Why? If you listen to Coach Kugler's comments on Wood and Levitre, he says that Wood will work at both positions and they will see what happens. But, he then adds, "we're going to start him out at guard". That doesn't sound like they are planning on him playing OG for the next ten years. It sounds to me like they are going to put him at guard, where he won't have the responsibility for making the offensive line calls in addition to learning how to play in the NFL, for his rookie year and, if he can beat out Hangartner for the center job next year (or Hangartner can't handle the NTs in the AFC East), then move him to center after he has gotten his feet wet in the NFL.

I was almost as upset as you are with the Byrd pick when it was announced. But my mind has been changed about this pick to a considerable extent since then--although I still do have some reservations about it.

What changed my mind about Byrd were: 1.) the fact that the Bills picked him up to play safety and because, as a former corner, he would have the ability to cover receivers in the slot when the Bills aren't in a nickle or dime package; 2.) the number of turnovers that he generated against pretty good offensive talent in the Pac-10--the Bills need ball-hawks who can generate turnovers; 3.) the fact that a lot of scouting reports and "experts" actually like the pick--or, as one commentator said, "the guy does everything well, except run" when talking about Byrd as a CB; and 4.) McGee will be a UFA, Youboty will be a RFA, George Wilson will probably be a UFA if the Bills only sign him for one year, Wendling may be coming to the end of his rookie contract next season, Simpson probably will be cut or traded, and there is no guarantee that Florence will regain the form that he had with SD--so the Bills are going to need depth in their secondary, not just for this year, but because they are not likely to be able to bring back all of the guys who are going to be eligible for free agency next season and they won't be able to fill that many spots with quality players in one offseason (this is a pick for the future where, if the guy contributes a bit this year, fine, but next year they may need a lot more out of him).

I agree that the secondary was not an immediate need for this year, but the good teams also prepare for the future and I now see this as a good move for the future that may help a bit this year if injuries strike the secondary the way that they have the last couple of seasons. Still, Byrd will have to prove that he was worth the pick.

I like Maualuga. But, after hearing some of the comments that were made about his questionable speed and need to play with greater control, I can understand why the Bills and a lot of other teams passed on him. Taking Maualuga would have meant moving Poz to OLB. Not impossible, but Maualuga doesn't have the speed to cover the deep middle in a Tampa 2 defense. Poz wouldn't be the fastest OLB and it would be hard to go with two LBs who don't have enough speed to execute their responsibilities in the defense. You can cover for one guy, but covering for two would leave the defense too vulnerable.

I probably had more questions about the Levitre pick than you did. But, again, the more I learned about him the more I have come to like the pick.

The Bills didn't give up a 3rd. They moved their 3rd round pick up into the 2nd round. They had to give up a 4th rounder to do that. I don't like the fact that they had to give up such a high pick, but, considering the prices that teams have had to pay to move up in this draft (NE is getting 2nd rounders next year, plus for their 3rd rounders), that actually wasn't that high of a price. It wasn't as good a deal as the Jets were able to get in their trade up with Cleveland (anyone ready to accuse NE, NY Jets, Cleveland, KC of insider trading yet?)--where they fleeced the Browns--but it really wasn't that bad for the pick the Bills got.

I was also upset that the Bills didn't take a TE in Round 2. But, considering the way that all of the TEs have dropped in this draft, maybe we were all overvaluing the TEs in this draft class. Cook just got taken late in the 3rd round and he is only the third TE to go off the board. So, we'll just have to wait to see what happens with the Bills and the TEs.

I agree that, if the guys the Bills took develop to where they play up to their potential, this could be a decent first day. But, the real test will be whether they get some difference-makers out of this draft. It is tough to determine whether an offensive lineman is a difference-maker, so Byrd is going to have to prove that he was worth the pick and I agree with you that Maybin will determine just how good this draft really is. If he becomes a John Abraham, the Bills did pretty good. If he plays like Dwight Freeney, they did great. If he plays like Aaron Schobel, they did OK. If he plays like Chris Kelsay, it will turn out to be a disappointing day. But, we won't know just how good he will be until at least next year--DEs rarely dominate as rookies, even when they become dominant players, and he is only going to play situationally as a rookie, which will limit the number of snaps that he will get this season.

Fair enough?

Awesome post. I wish we had more posters here like you.

1) Maybin and Orakpo we agree.

2) Great point on Wood. Tough to start a guy at Center as a rookie, I got limited info so if the Bills said they were going to move him around that makes me feel alot better.

3) Yes, alot of players on the secondary might not be here but I've watched the Patriots play with a sub par secondary for years. If you get to the passer than you could make a secondary full of scrubs look good. I hate the pick and you could have had Jared Cool instead and still tradedd up for Levitre.

4) Your right we gave a 4th not a 3rd. I looked at it from the wrong perspective. thanks for clearing that up for me. Been working like a dog and I should have caought that.

Just curious. The Bills still are missing a LT. Walker will get killed if plays a full season there so I want him to stay at RT where he's done well. Chambers blew at LT and got mauled there when Peters got injured in 2007. So Bell is the only guy that even looks like he could play there but a full season from a second year player? I think we need a veteran in there from FA still. What do you think?

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
3) Yes, alot of players on the secondary might not be here but I've watched the Patriots play with a sub par secondary for years. If you get to the passer than you could make a secondary full of scrubs look good. I hate the pick and you could have had Jared Cool instead and still tradedd up for Levitre.

I don't think using the Patriots as comparison to any team in the NFL is the way to go. They also have a secondary and defense full of veterans and leaders who want to play for NE and are willing to do so for less. It is much easier for them to have a sub-par secondary and succeed.

While I did not like the pick at first, it has started to grow on me. First off, I am not sure who was available at that spot that would make the pass rush significantly better. You had mentioned getting Rey instead, but he is definitely not a pass rusher nor is ILB anymore of a need than DB, so I am not sure I see the difference in the two. (Not to mention I think Rey will be a bust - poor technique and slow to react - a guy who greatly benefited from the players around him, imo)

The main reason the pick has grown on me is that this guy creates turnovers. When was the last time the Bills had a ball hawk in the secondary? Henry Jones? A player that can make the big turnover is just as important as a good pass rush. Since they addressed, in their minds, pass rush in the first pick and are apparently counting on the return to form of Schobel, finding a man who creates turnovers is key.

Finallys, as has been stated, it is not just McGee. It is the pending (possible) losses of Simpson, Youboty and Wilson and questions on Florence and Wendling. Bryon Scott is OK, but to me he is a better reserve than starter. Getting Byrd and moving him to safety will help this team assuming he can still make plays on the ball.

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't think using the Patriots as comparison to any team in the NFL is the way to go. They also have a secondary and defense full of veterans and leaders who want to play for NE and are willing to do so for less. It is much easier for them to have a sub-par secondary and succeed.

While I did not like the pick at first, it has started to grow on me. First off, I am not sure who was available at that spot that would make the pass rush significantly better. You had mentioned getting Rey instead, but he is definitely not a pass rusher nor is ILB anymore of a need than DB, so I am not sure I see the difference in the two. (Not to mention I think Rey will be a bust - poor technique and slow to react - a guy who greatly benefited from the players around him, imo)

The main reason the pick has grown on me is that this guy creates turnovers. When was the last time the Bills had a ball hawk in the secondary? Henry Jones? A player that can make the big turnover is just as important as a good pass rush. Since they addressed, in their minds, pass rush in the first pick and are apparently counting on the return to form of Schobel, finding a man who creates turnovers is key.

Finallys, as has been stated, it is not just McGee. It is the pending (possible) losses of Simpson, Youboty and Wilson and questions on Florence and Wendling. Bryon Scott is OK, but to me he is a better reserve than starter. Getting Byrd and moving him to safety will help this team assuming he can still make plays on the ball.

Your post is a good counter but Henry Jones had a D-line that could get to the QB which is excatly point that I've been making.

We just got Nelson who is a good blocker and that's most likely why they had to pass on Cook.

I'm swamped so I haven't had a chance to see if there was a btter pick at #42. Was Britton there or any guys that could play LT?

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Your post is a good counter but Henry Jones had a D-line that could get to the QB which is excatly point that I've been making.

We just got Nelson who is a good blocker and that's most likely why they had to pass on Cook.

I'm swamped so I haven't had a chance to see if there was a btter pick at #42. Was Britton there or any guys that could play LT?

I think Britton was there. Beatty was too.

But again, he also does not help the pass rush. My point is that there was not much in the way of pass rush there and I really think the Bills believe, rightfully or not, that Maybin and a healthy Schobel will make the pass rush respectable.

BillsOwnAll
04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
mel kiper and mcshay liked our draft so far. I personally think we got some solid players but what do i know. I really think you just like to hate.

jmb1099
04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Where this whole thing goes wrong is in the thread title. This isn't a realistic view or for that matter an unrealistic one. It is your opinion, nothing more and nothing less. By declaring your view to be realistic you are looking for heat and I suspect at this point you hope it keeps coming.
So in response to your opinion of the draft, here is mine. I was beside myself initially yesterday, especially with the Byrd pick. I kept thinking, here we go again. Having said that and seeing the overall picture and what was accomplished, I am pleased, maybe the best all around draft in years, at least on paper. We won't know either way for a while but we addressed nearly every need and with quality players. Perhaps not the ones some here had envisioned with their mocks, but quality players. So much so that Mayock called us the class of the draft so far. Don't ask for a link, he said it after we drafted our TE. So now we wait and see...