PDA

View Full Version : will someone please explain to me.....

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
how Levitre is worth the #51 plus a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder, but NOT worth the #42?

We could have had him and kept the picks.

If Byrd plays S instead of CB, I'll feel a little better about the move, but it looks like this FO gave up picks so they could select yet another skill player. We've used an unreal number of picks on the defensive backfield over the last three or 4 years and we're STILL drafting defensive backs. WTF?

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
We showed interest in a saftey in the offseason. For someone who bashes whitner like you do should like this.

ddaryl
04-26-2009, 12:04 PM
the Bills trusted their board... not the internet mocks and analysis

but I pondser this to.. but would Byrd have been their in the 3rd... would Levitre ???

probably not

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Since 2006, we've drafted Whitner, Simpson, Youboty, Wendling, McKelvin, Corner, Cox and now Byrd. That's 8 DB's in 4 drafts.

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 12:05 PM
how Levitre is worth the #51 plus a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder, but NOT worth the #42?

If Byrd plays S instead of CB, I'll feel a little better about the move, but it looks like this FO gave up picks so they could select yet another skill player. We've used an unreal number of picks on the defensive backfield over the last three or 4 years and we're STILL drafting defensive backs. WTF?

I so agree with this!!

X-Era
the Bills trusted their board... not the internet mocks and analysis

but I pondser this to.. but would Byrd have been their in the 3rd... would Levitre ???

probably not

With the run on C's in the 3rd, I really think he would have been gone by our pick.

I think the Bills made a great move with this pick.

But, I do wish we would have had that 3rd. I was hoping they would try to trade a player and pick or just a pick or two and move up.

Looks like they still may get a very good receiving TE even this far down.

Mr. Pink
If they wanted a TRUE Safety to replace Ko, then why not draft a Safety instead of moving a guy who's knowledge is that of a corner?

Wait that would make sense!

Especially when you had a William Moore still available.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
We showed interest in a saftey in the offseason. For someone who bashes whitner like you do should like this.

As much as I'd like an upgrade for Whitner, it's just not going to happen. If anything, they are looking for a S to replace Simpson/upgrade Scott- and as much as I bash Whitner, the other S spot is a bigger hole than Whitner is.

And look at my post above- this team has used a ****load of draft picks on DB's and we're STILL trying to draft DB's. If they'd ****ing get it right for once, we could stop drafting the same positions year after year after year.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM

That is exactly my problem with what they've done. This regime is so ass backwards that it makes me wonder if any of them know what the hell they're doing!

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2009, 12:07 PM
We haven't had a mauling type guard since Jerry Ostroski. Our lines play reflects it. Just sit back and watch how the picks actually play instead of moaning and complaining. If the kid is as good as many are saying, giving up a 3rd for him will be a steal.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 12:08 PM
If they wanted a TRUE Safety to replace Ko, then why not draft a Safety instead of moving a guy who's knowledge is that of a corner?

Wait that would make sense!

Especially when you had a William Moore still available.

Why not draft a LB at 11 instead of drafting a DE and trying to make him an LB?

Oh wait, that would also make sense.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 12:09 PM
We haven't had a mauling type guard since Jerry Ostroski. Our lines play reflects it. Just sit back and watch how the picks actually play instead of moaning and complaining. If the kid is as good as many are saying, giving up a 3rd for him will be a steal.

we gave up a 3rd and a 4th for him. Again, I'm not questioning the pick- I just think we would have been better off passing on Bird and taking Levitre at 42 rather than trading up and giving up two other picks to get him.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2009, 12:09 PM

That also would make sense!

It just seems like since we made Peters into a LT, we, as an organization think we can do that with everybody.

I don't get it.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2009, 12:11 PM

what LB would you have taken at 11? We got a guy they COULD put at LB but can also put his hand on the ground and get after the QB from the DE position.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
what LB would you have taken at 11? We got a guy they COULD put at LB but can also put his hand on the ground and get after the QB from the DE position.

If we really wanted a true LB...we coulda gone Cushing at 11.

Or moved down a little and got Matthews.

Cleveland showed you could move down without much problem in this draft.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM

I would have taken Orakpo at 11 and worried about LB later.

ParanoidAndroid
04-26-2009, 12:20 PM

I understand your concern...quite valid. I am a bit taken aback by the Byrd selection as well. I do think they will convert him to a safety since they are already set at nickel CB. It's the only thing that makes sense to me but this FO works in mysterious ways.

But anyway...the way you worded it makes it look like the Bills used 3 picks on Levitre. The Bills expended their 4th round pick to move their 3rd up into the second.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I understand your concern...quite valid. I am a bit taken aback by the Byrd selection as well. I do think they will convert him to a safety since they are already set at nickel CB. It's the only thing that makes sense to me but this FO works in mysterious ways.

But anyway...the way you worded it makes it look like the Bills used 3 picks on Levitre. The Bills expended their 4th round pick to move their 3rd up into the second.

It cost us two picks to get one player- you could argue that we used 3 because we traded the two then spent the pick on him.

elltrain22
04-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Since 2006, we've drafted Whitner, Simpson, Youboty, Wendling, McKelvin, Corner, Cox and now Byrd. That's 8 DB's in 4 drafts.

This year is different though. I think Brandon, and Modrak have really leaned on Buddy Nix. I had read alot about his eye for talent, and maybe he has given the Bills a better voice of reason.

Buddo
04-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm actually on board with the criticism of taking Byrd with the #42. I think they should have taken Levitre then, and waited to pick up Byrd, or maybe tried to trade down a bit and take Levitre, or even tried to trade down a bit and take Byrd then, then trade back up, when you have actually gained a bit more ammunition to parlay into the pick for Levitre.
I will say that I was hoping they would address the FS position in this draft, and it would appear they have done so - I just didn't expect them to do so that high. At all.
I don't think the criticism of how many DBs we have taken, is especially valid tbh.
You do need a lot anyway, and there has been a fair amount of 'natural turnaround'.

Mahdi
04-26-2009, 12:45 PM

Byrd will play safety. Thats already been stated by him and the FO.

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
It cost us two picks to get one player- you could argue that we used 3 because we traded the two then spent the pick on him.

No it did not. It was a cost of one net pick. You can't argue they used three, that would be stupid and make NO sense. You would be counting one pick twice and using government accounting.

Look at it this way - they used the 3rd to get Levitre - it cost them a 4th to do so.

Saying they used three picks on him is counting their 4th overall pick twice - once in the trade and then once for the pick. It was the same pick.

alohabillsfan
04-26-2009, 12:47 PM
please do us all a favor and go beat your head into a brick freaking wall!!!!!!!

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
No it did not. It was a cost of one net pick. You can't argue they used three, that would be stupid and make NO sense. You would be counting one pick twice and using government accounting.

Look at it this way - they used the 3rd to get Levitre - it cost them a 4th to do so.

Saying they used three picks on him is counting their 4th overall pick twice - once in the trade and then once for the pick. It was the same pick.

no matter how you argue it, it's a minimum of two picks for one player.

Dr. Lecter
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
no matter how you argue it, it's a minimum of two picks for one player.

Yes, it is two picks for one player. All players are one pick. This one was two picks. Of course, not all picks are created equal. And in this instance, the trade made was worth more (based on the theoretical draft value chart) for the Bills than it was for the Cowboys.

There is no logical way to say it was three picks.

justasportsfan
04-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Modrak "we can't have Wood without Levitre . We needed to trade to get it up "

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Modrak "we can't have Wood without Levitre . We needed to get it up "

Oh, you mean they "got up" to get him?

MikeInRoch
04-26-2009, 01:57 PM

I supposed you could argue that, but that would be an extremely dumb argument from someone who is solely looking to slam the Bills front office.

The Bills started this draft with those two picks. Those two picks, with nothing else added or taken away, become that one player. Period.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2009, 02:15 PM
For a guy who is as intelligent as I know that you are, sometimes OP your posts really amaze me with their lack of perception. Because I know that you are actually a very smart guy, let me see if I can answer your questions in a way that you can understand.

1.) Maybin is NOT going to play OLB. The reason that the V-text listed him as an OLB is that his position was listed as OLB and DE.

The Bills have made it clear and Maybin has, also, that he will be playing DE for the Bills. The Bills drafted Maybin rather than Orakpo because: 1.) while Orakpo is heavier and more filled out and has played more, Orakpo has proven that he will take plays off and doesn't always play hard when things go against his team--Maybin hustles and plays hard ALL of the time and showed against USC that he never gives up no matter the score; 2.) Maybin, who just turned 21 three weeks ago is 6'4" and can add weight to his frame--he said that put on weight (15 lbs) naturally by changing his workout routine after he began working out with Poz at a pro training facility after the season, he can easily add another 5 lbs before training camp which would make him the same weight as R.Mathis; 3.) as he fills out and continues to get stronger, Maybin still has upside--Orakpo and Brown have much less of an upside, if any; 4.) Maybin has the quickest first step of any D-lineman in the draft--you can teach techniques and how to add weight and strength, you can't teach quickness; 5.) Maybin is a humble kid (Orakpo isn't, if you listen to him) who is willing to be taught and led (see interview with Poz posted on BZ messageboard Sat.) and says that he intends to come in and keep his mouth shut and let his play speak for him (can you imagine that ever coming out of the mouth of a Texas player?).

Maybin was chosen to play DE over Orakpo for a number of reasons. He is compared to John Abraham and Mathis. The Bills liked him better than Orakpo for a number of reasons. Both Orakpo and Maybin have the potential to be superb NFL pass-rushing DEs. Which one do you think will continue to work his butt off to achieve that potential once they get signed to a big rookie contract?

2.) As has already been pointed out, Levitre did NOT cost the Bills 3 picks. The Bills gave up their 4th round pick to move their third round selection up into the second round. Levitre was their fourth pick. They would have had four picks in the first three rounds if the trade did not take place. So, all they lost was a 4th round pick.

Considering what a lot of teams ended up paying to move up in the third round, what the Bills gave up in this deal was actually not that much.

3.) The Bills moved up to get Levitre because he would not have lasted until their pick in Round 3. Many teams had him rated as the # 1 OG in this draft class. At worst he was the # 2 OG.

4.) I hated the Byrd pick as much or even more than you do when I first heard about it. But, then, I did a little homework on Byrd.

There was a wide variance of opinion on Byrd. I saw one scouting report that had him rated as a future starter another as a half and half prospect. According to one of the commentators on ESPN, there was a service that had him rated as the # 2 CB in this draft. Why? As one commentator said, "Byrd does everything well as a CB except run". As a safety, Byrd doesn't need to have the same kind of speed that a CB needs to have in coverage.

Why draft Byrd, a CB, instead of a safety?

Because Byrd had 17--that's right, seventeen--interceptions in the last two years. That's more than the Bills' secondary had total in either one of those years and may be more than they had in both of those years combined.

Byrd is a playmaker with very good ball-skills--just what the Bills have been missing in their secondary. He had more interceptions the last two years than any big school safety in this draft (I don't know about small schools). He is also a very good tackler--something that you have complained about and that the Bills have lacked. He is a guy who has proven that he has a knack for generating turnovers, which is not something that every player has.

Byrd also has the ability, as a former corner, to cover a slot receiver from the FS position. That means that the Bills are not at a disadvantage if a team motions a RB or WR to his side of the field into the slot against their base defense. It also means that Whitner would not have to spend half of his time covering WRs as a nickle corner, which is not his forte.

5.) Like you, I was unhappy because I thought that the Bills probably could have gotten Byrd later in the third round and, if they had taken Levitre at # 42, they would not have had to give up their 4th round pick to do so.

But, could the Bills have gotten Byrd in Round 3 or later in Round 2?

Maybe. But, maybe not.

Three safeties and three CBs came off the board after Byrd, but before the end of Round 2. Another CB came off the board before the Bills would have picked in Round 3. The Raiders traded up and "reached" for safety Mike Mitchell from Ohio U. shortly after the Bills took Byrd. The Raiders traded up for Mitchell, who, like Byrd, generated a lot of turnovers in college, because Cleveland was about to take Mitchell. Unable to get Mitchell, Cleveland traded down out of their pick. It is entirely possible that Cleveland would have been interested in Byrd at that point. The Falcons took William Moore, only slightly bigger than Byrd, but not as prolific at turning the ball over later in the round. And, the Panthers went with Sherrod Martin from Troy who is taller, but skinnier than Byrd. Only Moore played against the same level of competition as Byrd.

Sean Smith from Utah, who went to Miami late in Round 2, was listed as a CB, but may also end up playing safety in the NFL.

So, while it is possible that Byrd may have fallen to the Bills in Round 3, a run on DBs began at the beginning of Round 2 (actually at the end of Round 1). Four DBs, including two of the top safeties in a very thin safety crop, went off the board before the Bills picked Byrd. All told eleven DBs came off the board in that round. With at least some scouts having Byrd highly rated, would Byrd have made it to Round 3? If the Bills targetted Byrd for his ability to generate turnovers--which they admit that they did--they couldn't take a chance that he would even make it to the end of Round 2 once it was clear that the run on DBs had begun (which was clear by that point).

6.) Why pick yet another DB? If you have been paying attention the answer is simple.

Injuries. The last two years the Bills' secondary has been ravaged by injuries. Unless you want to see D.Fox stepping into the lineup in an emergency, the Bills need to be prepared to deal with possible injuries to their DBs. While Byrd may not be fast, as a guy who has played CB and was seen as a guy who would be a better CB in a zone defense, Byrd gives the Bills depth at CB as well as safety in his rookie season. A pure safety who hasn't played on the outside could have a lot more problems filling in at CB than Byrd is likely to have.

Ko Simpson. Simpson has not been the same player that he was before he got hurt. He may never be the same again. Placing Simpson on the block indicates that the Bills may be ready to cut ties with Simpson. If they do, he will have to be replaced. Byrd was drafted to replace Simpson (also a converted CB, by the way) at the FS spot.

Expiring contracts. After this season McGee will be a UFA, Youboty a RFA. Depending on how he performs, the Bills may want to dump Florence. George Wilson was a RFA this year and may become a UFA as well. Being a low draft pick, Wendling's contract may be expiring as well. While the Bills will probably try to retain as many of these players as they can if they have a successful season and Jauron and Co. return, realistically, they may not be able to retain all of them. Byrd gives them quality depth and a player who can step into the starting lineup, if he hasn't already, should they lose one or more of these players.

Coaches will tell you that a team can never have enough DBs because the attrition rate is so high and top CBs can command so much money on the open market. They will also point out that generating turnovers is a key to the success of a Tampa 2 defense. Byrd is a playmaker, a ball-hawk with a nose for the ball who is also a good tackler and can play multiple positions. Those kinds of guys aren't that easy to find.

So, now do you understand why the Bills took Byrd and took him when they did? I hope so, because I really don't want to have to repeat this explanation when they draft another DB or two in next year's draft (which they probably will have to do).

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2009, 02:17 PM

If we wanted Levitre that bad, we could've taken him at #42 and I'd bet Byrd would still be there in the 3rd.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Didn't we give Dallas our 3rd and 4th picks for their 2nd to get Levitre? Isn't this a loss of one pick?

mikemac2001
04-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Didn't we give Dallas our 3rd and 4th picks for their 2nd to get Levitre? Isn't this a loss of one pick?

ya but those were our picks

i think op was trying to say we traded peters for picks but then traded those picks to get levitre

im not sure bc didn't read whole thread

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 03:05 PM
I supposed you could argue that, but that would be an extremely dumb argument from someone who is solely looking to slam the Bills front office.

The Bills started this draft with those two picks. Those two picks, with nothing else added or taken away, become that one player. Period.

The FO deserves to be slammed and they have not earned the benefit of the doubt.

We had two picks and we ended up with one player. We drafted our 8th DB from the last 4 drafts.

So, once again, someone please explain to me: how is it that Levitre is worth the #51 overall pick that cost us a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick to obtain, but NOT worth the #42 pick? Everyone wants to split hairs and no one wants to answer the question.

Ron Burgundy
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
So, once again, someone please explain to me: how is it that Levitre is worth the #51 overall pick that cost us a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick to obtain, but NOT worth the #42 pick? Everyone wants to split hairs and no one wants to answer the question.

Because the Bills wanted Jairus Byrd at #42, and selected him there. Obviously, Byrd was higher on their draft board than Levitre.

Since Levitre was available at #51, they traded their third and fourth rounder to obtain that selection and draft him.

Philagape
04-26-2009, 03:09 PM
The explanation is the Bills really zero in on the players they want and do whatever it takes to get them. In their mind, if there's even the slightest chance a player they really want won't be the next round, they'll trade up to get him.
Whether it's a sound strategy or not will depend on the results, as always. For example, it wasn't sound for McCargo.
Trading up increases the loss if the player traded up for is a bust. Higher risk.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
For a guy who is as intelligent as I know that you are, sometimes OP your posts really amaze me with their lack of perception. Because I know that you are actually a very smart guy, let me see if I can answer your questions in a way that you can understand.

1.) Maybin is NOT going to play OLB. The reason that the V-text listed him as an OLB is that his position was listed as OLB and DE.

The Bills have made it clear and Maybin has, also, that he will be playing DE for the Bills. The Bills drafted Maybin rather than Orakpo because: 1.) while Orakpo is heavier and more filled out and has played more, Orakpo has proven that he will take plays off and doesn't always play hard when things go against his team--Maybin hustles and plays hard ALL of the time and showed against USC that he never gives up no matter the score; 2.) Maybin, who just turned 21 three weeks ago is 6'4" and can add weight to his frame--he said that put on weight (15 lbs) naturally by changing his workout routine after he began working out with Poz at a pro training facility after the season, he can easily add another 5 lbs before training camp which would make him the same weight as R.Mathis; 3.) as he fills out and continues to get stronger, Maybin still has upside--Orakpo and Brown have much less of an upside, if any; 4.) Maybin has the quickest first step of any D-lineman in the draft--you can teach techniques and how to add weight and strength, you can't teach quickness; 5.) Maybin is a humble kid (Orakpo isn't, if you listen to him) who is willing to be taught and led (see interview with Poz posted on BZ messageboard Sat.) and says that he intends to come in and keep his mouth shut and let his play speak for him (can you imagine that ever coming out of the mouth of a Texas player?).

Maybin was chosen to play DE over Orakpo for a number of reasons. He is compared to John Abraham and Mathis. The Bills liked him better than Orakpo for a number of reasons. Both Orakpo and Maybin have the potential to be superb NFL pass-rushing DEs. Which one do you think will continue to work his butt off to achieve that potential once they get signed to a big rookie contract?

2.) As has already been pointed out, Levitre did NOT cost the Bills 3 picks. The Bills gave up their 4th round pick to move their third round selection up into the second round. Levitre was their fourth pick. They would have had four picks in the first three rounds if the trade did not take place. So, all they lost was a 4th round pick.

Considering what a lot of teams ended up paying to move up in the third round, what the Bills gave up in this deal was actually not that much.

3.) The Bills moved up to get Levitre because he would not have lasted until their pick in Round 3. Many teams had him rated as the # 1 OG in this draft class. At worst he was the # 2 OG.

4.) I hated the Byrd pick as much or even more than you do when I first heard about it. But, then, I did a little homework on Byrd.

There was a wide variance of opinion on Byrd. I saw one scouting report that had him rated as a future starter another as a half and half prospect. According to one of the commentators on ESPN, there was a service that had him rated as the # 2 CB in this draft. Why? As one commentator said, "Byrd does everything well as a CB except run". As a safety, Byrd doesn't need to have the same kind of speed that a CB needs to have in coverage.

Why draft Byrd, a CB, instead of a safety?

Because Byrd had 17--that's right, seventeen--interceptions in the last two years. That's more than the Bills' secondary had total in either one of those years and may be more than they had in both of those years combined.

Byrd is a playmaker with very good ball-skills--just what the Bills have been missing in their secondary. He had more interceptions the last two years than any big school safety in this draft (I don't know about small schools). He is also a very good tackler--something that you have complained about and that the Bills have lacked. He is a guy who has proven that he has a knack for generating turnovers, which is not something that every player has.

Byrd also has the ability, as a former corner, to cover a slot receiver from the FS position. That means that the Bills are not at a disadvantage if a team motions a RB or WR to his side of the field into the slot against their base defense. It also means that Whitner would not have to spend half of his time covering WRs as a nickle corner, which is not his forte.

5.) Like you, I was unhappy because I thought that the Bills probably could have gotten Byrd later in the third round and, if they had taken Levitre at # 42, they would not have had to give up their 4th round pick to do so.

But, could the Bills have gotten Byrd in Round 3 or later in Round 2?

Maybe. But, maybe not.

Three safeties and three CBs came off the board after Byrd, but before the end of Round 2. Another CB came off the board before the Bills would have picked in Round 3. The Raiders traded up and "reached" for safety Mike Mitchell from Ohio U. shortly after the Bills took Byrd. The Raiders traded up for Mitchell, who, like Byrd, generated a lot of turnovers in college, because Cleveland was about to take Mitchell. Unable to get Mitchell, Cleveland traded down out of their pick. It is entirely possible that Cleveland would have been interested in Byrd at that point. The Falcons took William Moore, only slightly bigger than Byrd, but not as prolific at turning the ball over later in the round. And, the Panthers went with Sherrod Martin from Troy who is taller, but skinnier than Byrd. Only Moore played against the same level of competition as Byrd.

Sean Smith from Utah, who went to Miami late in Round 2, was listed as a CB, but may also end up playing safety in the NFL.

So, while it is possible that Byrd may have fallen to the Bills in Round 3, a run on DBs began at the beginning of Round 2 (actually at the end of Round 1). Four DBs, including two of the top safeties in a very thin safety crop, went off the board before the Bills picked Byrd. All told eleven DBs came off the board in that round. With at least some scouts having Byrd highly rated, would Byrd have made it to Round 3? If the Bills targetted Byrd for his ability to generate turnovers--which they admit that they did--they couldn't take a chance that he would even make it to the end of Round 2 once it was clear that the run on DBs had begun (which was clear by that point).

6.) Why pick yet another DB? If you have been paying attention the answer is simple.

Injuries. The last two years the Bills' secondary has been ravaged by injuries. Unless you want to see D.Fox stepping into the lineup in an emergency, the Bills need to be prepared to deal with possible injuries to their DBs. While Byrd may not be fast, as a guy who has played CB and was seen as a guy who would be a better CB in a zone defense, Byrd gives the Bills depth at CB as well as safety in his rookie season. A pure safety who hasn't played on the outside could have a lot more problems filling in at CB than Byrd is likely to have.

Ko Simpson. Simpson has not been the same player that he was before he got hurt. He may never be the same again. Placing Simpson on the block indicates that the Bills may be ready to cut ties with Simpson. If they do, he will have to be replaced. Byrd was drafted to replace Simpson (also a converted CB, by the way) at the FS spot.

Expiring contracts. After this season McGee will be a UFA, Youboty a RFA. Depending on how he performs, the Bills may want to dump Florence. George Wilson was a RFA this year and may become a UFA as well. Being a low draft pick, Wendling's contract may be expiring as well. While the Bills will probably try to retain as many of these players as they can if they have a successful season and Jauron and Co. return, realistically, they may not be able to retain all of them. Byrd gives them quality depth and a player who can step into the starting lineup, if he hasn't already, should they lose one or more of these players.

Coaches will tell you that a team can never have enough DBs because the attrition rate is so high and top CBs can command so much money on the open market. They will also point out that generating turnovers is a key to the success of a Tampa 2 defense. Byrd is a playmaker, a ball-hawk with a nose for the ball who is also a good tackler and can play multiple positions. Those kinds of guys aren't that easy to find.

So, now do you understand why the Bills took Byrd and took him when they did? I hope so, because I really don't want to have to repeat this explanation when they draft another DB or two in next year's draft (which they probably will have to do).

Ok, there is a lot in here and I'm not going to address all of it, but there's a few things I have to say:

First, when it comes to Maybin having more upside than Orakpo, who cares? We need help NOW. This FO is always sacrificing the present for a future that never arrives. They should have taken the guy that gives us the most immediate help rather than the project.

Second, do you really think Byrd is going to get 17 interceptions at S instead of CB, especially in the Bills' Tampa 2 system? The defense of Whitner is always that the system holds him back from making the big plays. How is it going to be any different for Byrd?

Third, two of our first 3 draft picks are now going to be playing different positions than they were in college. Granted, they're not drastic changes and both players have some experience at the position where they will be playing. But once again, the chances of getting immediate help from rookies who are changing positions are slim to none. So, we're back to the dreaded rebuilding.

Fourth, I think you're exaggerating the injury situation for the DB's. We have McGee, McKelvin, Youboty, Corner and Florence ahead of D. Fox. It would take 3 injuries just to have him at nickel. I actually think CB is the deepest position on the Bills roster. We're not quite so lucky at S, but again, the Bills used 3 picks in 3 years on S and we're still looking for another one.

Fifth, and this isn't directly related to your post but it's relevant to the conversation, there's a reason why no one took the trade bait on Kelsay or Simpson. They knew there is a good chance that one or both will be cut if we got the guys we wanted in the draft.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2009, 04:04 PM
OP, I'll agree to disagree with you on Maybin. I think he will help this year in passing situations as a situational pass rusher. Just as you prefer Orakpo, I said before the draft that I liked Maybin a shade better.

No, Byrd won't get 17 INTs playing in a Tampa 2, but you are always talking about how the Bills need to get a ball-hawk in the secondary and now they got one. M.Brown was able to make a lot of big plays for Chicago in a T-2 and Ronde Barber made a lot for Tampa Bay, too. So, you can't just rule it out off the cuff.

Well, yes, the Bills are rebuilding in a sense. When the team goes 7-9 three years in a row and the COO says that's unacceptable, changes are going to be made. Wood will definitely play and start from Day One. Levitre is going to have to fight for a starting job and if he wins it, he will be the best man for the job. Maybin and Nelson have the ability to contribute some big plays just playing situationally. Byrd will have to fight for a spot, too, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts seeing playing time against certain offenses by mid-season. And, they should only get better from here.

I don't care about making the playoffs just to say that the team made the playoffs. I care about the team getting good enough to win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. The Bills weren't and aren't about to win the SB this season. But, these kids should help make the team more competitive this season and have the potential to help the team take another step towards becoming good enough to actually be able to seriously contend for a SB title instead of being a one-year-wonder (Jets make playoffs, then go 4-12, Miami makes the playoffs, then goes 1-15, then makes the playoffs again--who needs that yo-yo?).

As far as me exaggerating about the injuries: Fox played in several games in the defensive backfield the last two years because of injuries. Look it up if you don't remember. He stinks!!!

Kelsay and Simpson aren't going to be the only veteran players in the NFL who are going to be out of work by the end of the preseason. Other teams will find themselves in the same situation (J.Clayton reported that Cincy is likely to cut Levi Jones because they were able to get Andre Smith). It happens all the time. And, if Maybin gives the Bills a better pass rush than Kelsay, I won't mind seeing him go. Simpson has given the Bills nothing since he got hurt, so IMHO the same applies to him.

DynaPaul
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
And look at my post above- this team has used a ****load of draft picks on DB's and we're STILL trying to draft DB's. If they'd ****ing get it right for once, we could stop drafting the same positions year after year after year.

We have the same luck drafting DB's that Detroit has with drafting WR's.

FlyingDutchman
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM

what are you talking about? we basically used 1 pick to get him. swapped 2nd for a 3rd which negates each other, so we spent a 4th to move up an entire round...dont be so dramatic

Buffalogic
04-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Lol how ridiculous. Yeah dude, because we really had possession of all three of those picks all at once right? Levitre cost three picks, really? Really? Find something else to ***** about.

HAMMER
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Piss and moan, piss and moan, we gave up two picks of lesser value to move back into a round were there is greater value, and got as great guard. Stop cryin'!

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Lol how ridiculous. Yeah dude, because we really had possession of all three of those picks all at once right? Levitre cost three picks, really? Really? Find something else to ***** about.

Can you even ****ing READ? I'm not *****ing about Levitre- I'm *****ing about picking a DB early then trading up to get Levitre instead of just picking him outright and keeping the extra picks.

This FO loads up on DB's every year while neglecting other areas of the team, and they don't exactly have the best record with players they traded up to get (McCargo, Poz, Hardy). So, there's plenty to ***** about.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Piss and moan, piss and moan, we gave up two picks of lesser value to move back into a round were there is greater value, and got as great guard. Stop cryin'!

I'll stop pissing and moaning when the Bills start winning. This draft looks like business as usual for them, which means losing as usual.

Buffalogic
04-26-2009, 09:34 PM
lol so funny!

HAMMER
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I'll stop pissing and moaning when the Bills start winning. This draft looks like business as usual for them, which means losing as usual.

You won't stop *****ing until you are six feet under.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Can you even ****ing READ? I'm not *****ing about Levitre- I'm *****ing about picking a DB early then trading up to get Levitre instead of just picking him outright and keeping the extra picks.

Extra pick. We only gave up a net of one pick. We had 9, and ended up with 8 after the trade with Dallas (their 2nd for our 3rd and 4th).

MikeInRoch
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM

This FO loads up on DB's every year while neglecting other areas of the team, and they don't exactly have the best record with players they traded up to get (McCargo, Poz, Hardy). So, there's plenty to ***** about.

It's really easy. If they had done what you suggested, they would not have picked up Byrd. I don't understand why this is hard for you. Is there literally nothing that the FO could do that you wouldn't ***** about?

Captain Obvious
04-27-2009, 11:40 AM
The guy is unbelievable. Before the draft he complains rookies don't make contributions, aren't ready, blah blah and now he is saying Orakpo would have contributed immediately and is all over Orakpos nuts

yordad
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
OK, I will answer. It should be an "or", not an "and". We didn't give up three picks for him. We gave up a 3rd and a 4th.