A common mistake with fans and the draft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

A common mistake with fans and the draft.

I think its inevitable throughout the processes leading up to the draft that we will gravitate toward players and certainly toward need areas.

Furthermore, its easy to follow you favorite draft rag, website, or multiple outlets and form an opinion on what players are good/great and where they should go.

I can honestly say that I felt we had better value at every pick than whom we took. But, theres the mistake. I think thats simply a product of the vast amount of information that we are able to obtain on the draft. We have so much information now that we can get fooled into believing, like I did, that we may have "reached" for players.

I feel more and more that that term is over used. Yes, I have my favorites, yes I wanted other players at our picks. But thats based on my version of whos the best, what our needs are, and whos available when we picked. The Bills have there own plan, they have a entire staff that puts way more work into doing this stuff all year long, and they have years and years of professional experience in doing it. Thats not to say that they are mistake free, they arent as we all know. But no one is mistake free, no one. So the question then becomes more about what WE really know, how accurate can any of us really be? Forget analyzing them, analyze us for a minute. If I look at myself, I base much of what I say on what I have seen or read. But even then Im relying on the limited views that the coverage provides, and the opinions of others. That would be like buying a car because you saw it on TV and heard from someone that it was really good. Like you pay for it from home, without ever getting in it, and then go pick it up. Really the counter-argument to what a fan thinks is what the other teams think. Or should I say, what do the other professionals in the business think of our moves. In almost all cases, we will never know. So then the next level of expertise on the matter is the draft analysts and ex-NFL staffer's.

Translation, we aint por's, none of us. So, I dont see how anyone can completely blast what a porfessional organization did.

But there were many times yestrday when I wanted to, I will admit.

Maybe its just as simple as taking a step back and re-humbling yourself. Consider that we are just fans, who have our opinions (in most cases) based on what we have seen or read from the media. That may or may not be reality.

I think the smart move is to look at ranges for players.

Using that approach, I can now, with a much clearer mind (OK Im sober now) say that we made strong choices at almost every pick. Maybin is worthy of the 10-20 pick. I said 15 or later, but I have also said hes one of the top 3 DE's, we had our choice of those 3, and chose the one we liked best. At 28, we had our choice of the best C/G prospect (minus one) and took who we liked. Mack went earlier. I saw that at least the top 3 were all about equal in grade. And so it makes sense that Wood going in the 1st means any of the other 3 in the by mid round 2 also makes sense. They all went in that range. I think that makes the point that our grade on the top 3 is about what the other teams who took the other thought as well. That means our piers, and the best way to judge our draft, seems to agree that we werent clueless. Unless no one liked Wood, and we have nbo indication that thats true.

The Byrd pick wasnt my favorite, in fact I still am questioning it. But after going back and reviewing what the most prominent draft commentators say, they like his skills. I think it lendes credence to what we did with him.

The Levitre pick was very strong at where we got him. I had other guys that I liked alot at G. But, Levitre is considered by many as the top or #2 G in this draft. Again, credence for our move.

I think what Im trying to say, is that its easy for us to get stuck thinking we know better than they do. And that has limited value. I lean toward thinking we screwed up if the other teams feel we did, the draft commentators feel we did, and the overall general consensus feels we did. Without that, its kind of just an opinion. And we all know what those are like.

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: A common mistake with fans and the draft.

happens every year the internet analysis dictates peoples favorites, and every year we see where these analysts go wrong

the reality is most of htese internet analysis come from a few main analysis, and then copied and tweaked by the amatuer mock drafters etc...

you are correct, and the aftermath of the draft is basically spent figuring out why these internet analysis sites were not 100% accurate to the NFL teams boards

Comment

Working...
    X