PDA

View Full Version : WELCOME LB NIC HARRIS

BILLSROCK1212
04-26-2009, 01:35 PM
GOOD PICK, no doubt about it but what does this mean for Whitner??

seanbillsfan
:1:

Mr. Miyagi
LOL another DB. I swear they have a fetish.

justasportsfan
Who?

Mahdi
GOOD PICK, no doubt about it but what does this mean for Whitner??
Harris is a LB for us.

Jaybird
enormous safety, he can hit like a monster

jimbohastle51
great pick!!! move over ellison, because harris will win the competion for olb!

cordog
04-26-2009, 01:36 PM
on the draft tracker they have him listed as OLB

Michael82
I've been waiting to use this line.....

Another WTF pick! :mad:

dasaybz
Why is it bad to have a good secondary?

Seriously, I just don't understand Bills fans.

Mr. Pink
I dunno...

I think he might be a better choice for OLB with our system.

It's a nice pickup if that's what they do with him.

Michael82
on the draft tracker they have him listed as OLB
oh really? Hmmm, that's interesting! Maybe I may like this pick.....

Mitchell55
Hes a LB. Dont worry

Devin
04-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Compares to Cato June, he wont be playing DB for us. They will look at him for LB.

Mahdi
LB NOT SAFETY... RELAX EVERYONE!

Dr. Pepper
espn had it wrong on tv. hes an OLB.

elltrain22
04-26-2009, 01:38 PM
I like it. Very productive college player

Scumbag College
It's the fifth round. If anyone is expecting to get a Day 1 starter at this point in the draft they are crazy. If he plays safety, I rather have him backing up than Ko or maybe even George Wilson at this point. I rather have him backing up at LB than Pavement Pat Thomas. I guarantee you he will play special teams and we will love him.

Michael82
We got the guy we wanted all along.... :up:

Compares To: CATO JUNE, Houston
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/nic-harris?id=71323#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

X-Era
04-26-2009, 01:39 PM
great pick!!! move over ellison, because harris will win the competion for olb!

I agree.

I like that he could be the Bryon Scott type heavy hitter S that covers the TE as well.

I really think he moves to LB with us.

Mitchell55
I love the pick since as a saftey he can drop into the zone and cover real well.

Michael82
Compares To: CATO JUNE, Houston -- Harris does not have the pass coverage ability of June, but both are more of a chase-and-trail type of linebacker who work better playing downhill and in the short-area pursuit than handling man coverage assignments. Like June, Harris will be limited to playing in a Cover-2 scheme. It is evident by his poor hip turn and marginal speed for the position that he will not be considered to be a strong safety by many teams.

kid mickey
Yes sir, they got him to play LB. I hope he can play and supplant Ellison right away. He probably can't play 3rd downs, but I actually like him as a 2 down guy.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Just read up on him...he's a big Safety who is ideally fit to play in a Cover 2 scheme as a LB. Another undersized LB...ehh, I don't much about him, we will see.

Michael82
Alright, another solid pick for the Bills! It looks like this draft is going to produce a bunch of starters for us. Very nice! :clap:

justasportsfan
I've been waiting to use this line.....

Another WTF pick! :mad:
oh really? Hmmm, that's interesting! Maybe I may like this pick.....
Alright, another solid pick for the Bills! It looks like this draft is going to produce a bunch of starters for us. Very nice! :clap:
:chair:

seanbillsfan
Safety per V-text
:madmad:

Mitchell55
He will also start. We have a starter in each round so far. Great job ODB.

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Safety per V-text
:madmad:

Maybin was a OLB per v-text. We all know thats not true.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2009, 01:42 PM
He will also start. We have a starter in each round so far. Great job ODB.

uh, where will he start??? i dont think he will at all

Michael82
04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
It's called overreacting before I learn about the players. A lot of people are guilty of doing the same thing, so bite me! :mad:

The Spaz
Undersized? The guy is 6-3 235 or so that's not undersized.

seanbillsfan
Coy Wire!??!

losman2evans
04-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Harris is a former safety who may be more suited for the OLB position at the NFL level. If he lines up at LB, Harris will need to get stronger at the point of attack. On the flip side, he?ll provide excellent range and his experience in coverage at the college level will help with his transition to understanding drop zones.

from ESPN

The Spaz
Coy Wire!??!

No it's Nic harris.

justasportsfan
It's called overreacting before I learn about the players. A lot of people are guilty of doing the same thing, so bite me! :mad:

streetkings01
04-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Undersized? The guy is 6-3 235 or so that's not undersized.Word...he's the same size as Poz.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Undersized? The guy is 6-3 235 or so that's not undersized.

For LB, that is undersized...Ellison is about the same size and he can't take on OL. I'm not saying he'll play as poorly as Ellison, but he is another undersize LB.

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 01:50 PM
uh, where will he start??? i dont think he will at all

Was projected at 2nd and 3rd. After watching his espn video, he looks like a powerfull hitter and can read plays well.

The Spaz
For LB, that is undersized...Ellison is about the same size and he can't take on OL. I'm not saying he'll play as poorly as Ellison, but he is another undersize LB.

Ok he is right on average with a lot of remaining LB's.

seanbillsfan
No it's Nic harris.
oh ok

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 01:52 PM

Pos is 238 and 6-2.

Ellison is 220 and 6-0

Harris is 6-3 235

Your theory is wrong

losman2evans
HE IS ABOUT 3'' TALLER AND 10# HEAVIER ( WITH PLENTY OF ROOM TO GAIN WEIGHT AT THAT HEIGHT) THEN COY.

HOPEFULLY HE WILL PROVIDE DEPTH AT LINEBACKER AT THIS TIME. IT WOULD STILL BE NICE TO ADD A VETERAN LINEBACKER IN FREE AGENCY.

Nighthawk
Was projected at 2nd and 3rd. After watching his espn video, he looks like a powerfull hitter and can read plays well.

No, no he wasn't. They said if he could run better and play safety, then he MIGHT have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round.

acehole

As I said this system is such that safties play LB'r...ie Cato June was a safty....

Nighthawk
Pos is 238 and 6-2.

Ellison is 220 and 6-0

Harris is 6-3 235

Your theory is wrong

No, not really...

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2009, 01:54 PM
No, no he wasn't. They said if he could run better and play safety, then he MIGHT have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Who f'in cares? It's the 5th round. These are depth picks or project picks.

Some of you folks need to get realistic.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Pos is 238 and 6-2.

Ellison is 220 and 6-0

Harris is 6-3 235

Your theory is wrong

hes never played LB before and definitely will not start at safety.

He has never had to consistently fight off blocks like LB's do. Hes a good football player, I just dont think he'll start bc hes a 'tweener.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Who f'in cares? It's the 5th round. These are depth picks or project picks.

Some of you folks need to get realistic.

I don't care, but I can't stand when people post stuff that just isn't true...just to make their arguement seem legit.

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 02:00 PM
No, not really...

You you think that all the measurements of each player is wrong. Dont be a *******

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 02:01 PM
hes never played LB before and definitely will not start at safety.

He has never had to consistently fight off blocks like LB's do. Hes a good football player, I just dont think he'll start bc hes a 'tweener.

Same can be said for Byrd or Tyson

justasportsfan
04-26-2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/nic-harris-highlights/52d5541c-cf3b-4dde-a6d3-d52cd6c681ed Looks like he could be a lb that can drop back in coverage and tackle well too. Awsome. That sounds better than making our DE's drop back into coverage.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2009, 02:04 PM
At 6'2" 233, he's an LB who can even get a little bigger. Everything I read says he's athletic, has good awareness and is a great tackler. I think Byrd will play FS, Whitner SS, and Harris OLB.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
You you think that all the measurements of each player is wrong. Dont be a *******

All of our LBs are undersized...and I'm not a fan of that and have thought they needed to get a little bigger there. Your point doesn't do anything to change that.

I don't hate the pick...but you blowing your wad over it is kind of funny!

ServoBillieves
04-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Coy Wire!??!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOU DOOMED HIM YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pirate2:

The Spaz
04-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Why are you arguing Nighthawk? I was saying the same things as Jan and you thank him...lol

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 02:09 PM
All of our LBs are undersized...and I'm not a fan of that and have thought they needed to get a little bigger there. Your point doesn't do anything to change that.

I don't hate the pick...but you blowing your wad over it is kind of funny!

Hes better than anything we have. Brooking is 240. Only 6-7 pounds heavier than Harris. I think its a great pick since he can get into coverage and hit realy well.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Why are you arguing Nighthawk? I was saying the same things as Jan and you thank him...lol

No, Jan made sense...stated facts...just like he always does.

The Spaz
04-26-2009, 02:12 PM
No, Jan made sense...stated facts...just like he always does.

:whistle:

seanbillsfan
04-26-2009, 02:17 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOU DOOMED HIM YOU BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pirate2:
I just dont understand why we keep drafting "tweeners"!!!!!

BillsWin
04-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I covered him here in Oklahoma. This is an excellent pickup. He will play OLB for us.

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Another special teams hybrid. Shouman, Wendling, Wire, and now Nic Harris.

Welcome to the Bills' world of "jack of all trades, master of none."

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Another special teams hybrid. Shouman, Wendling, Wire, and now Nic Harris.

Welcome to the Bills' world of "jack of all trades, master of none."

You are very annoying. How can you bash this pick?

The Spaz
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM

That's what he does best. That's why I have him on ignore and it makes for a very good board now.

BILLSROCK1212
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
agreed Mitch..plus even if this guy is a ST guy u cnt say we dont need those

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 02:46 PM

He's small and slow.

mikemac2001
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
He's small and slow.

Your annoying and contribute nothing

But Nic harris isn't on the board bashing you

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Your annoying and contribute nothing

But Nic harris isn't on the board bashing you

Nice comeback. We have a history of drafting the same player and it doesn't work out. What's different with this pick? Let's here the counter?

mikemac2001
04-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Nice comeback. We have a history of drafting the same player and it doesn't work out. What's different with this pick? Let's here the counter?

Your Mom has a history of not working out

Counter?

HHURRICANE
04-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Your Mom has a history of not working out

Counter?

I'll take that as you can't come up with anything other than your beer buzz is getting ruined by reality.

justasportsfan
04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Imagine that. Mitchell annoyed by HH's posts. :snicker:

HH should just leave since he's no longer a bills fan. He's just trolling now.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I just dont understand why we keep drafting "tweeners"!!!!!

It has to do with SPEED/quickness and system.

The Tampa 2 is predicated on using speed and quickness to beat size. Why? Because all things being equal in terms of size and speed, the offense will always have an advantage over the defense. Also, because it is very hard to find really big guys who can hold the point of attack against bigger offensive linemen who know where they are going and what they are doing, the Tampa 2 was developed to solve the problem by not even trying to match the offensive line's size, but by beating it with speed/quickness and scheme.

Since smaller guys tend to be quicker and faster--and can be found more readily than behemoths--Tampa 2 defenses generally feature much smaller players except at a couple of key positions: the one technique defensive tackle and, to a certain extent, the 3 tech DT. It is speed and quickness that matter in this type of defense. Size matters much less.

A DE with the speed and quickness of an OLB can be successful in a Tampa 2 and, therefore, is desireable. D.Freeney is a prototype Tampa 2 DE. Aaron Maybin is a perfect fit at DE in a Tampa 2 if he can maintain his quickness and speed at 255.

Tampa 2 LBs have to be fast because, unlike other defenses, the T-2 requires LBs who can run and cover. The MLB is responsible for covering the deep middle of the field because the safeties have outside deep zone responsibilities. The OLBs have to have the speed to cover half of the field. Also, because Tampa 2 defenders tend to be smaller, pursuit and gang-tackling is important: if a teammate gets knocked out of his "fit" in run defense or beaten or knocked over because he is smaller, the rest of the defense has to run to the ball quickly to limit the size of the offense's gain.

Guys like Nic Harris, Cato June and Keith Ellison who were safeties in college who are not fast enough to play that position in the NFL can make ideal OLBs in a Tampa 2 defense because they are faster than the LBs who play in other defenses and have coverage ability. All they have to do is learn how to deal with shedding or avoiding blocks and running through the traffic at the LOS. But, a strong safety who played down "in the box" a lot already has some idea of how to do these things and, if he is intelligent, can make the transition to OLB in a Tampa 2 defense successfully.

Harris was a hard-hitting, run-support, "in the box" safety at Oklahoma where he played against top-flight offenses. He has known for a couple of years that he did not have the speed to play safety in the NFL and that he would have to transition to OLB in a Tampa 2 defense if he wanted to play in the league. So, he is already mentally prepared to make that move.

Even during some Oklahoma games the past two seasons the commentators would talk about Harris becoming a OLB in a T-2 defense. From the comments that I have heard and read, Harris has as good a chance to be successful at OLB in a T-2 scheme as any LB in this draft class who was on the board after the end of Round 1 (one reason the Bills didn't take Maualuga, as good as he has the potential to be in some defenses, is that he doesn't have the speed to cover the deep middle in a T-2 and can't play OLB in the scheme).

The Bills met and talked with Harris prior to the draft and I am sure that they discussed the possibility that they would take him late in the draft and that he would have to make the transition to OLB in their defense. From what I read in various sources, he is prepared to make the move and willing to do it.

There will be a "learning curve" with Harris and there is no guarantee that he will be able to make the transition successfully--especially not in his rookie season. But, he is a big hitter and this is a decent pick for the Bills to make this late in the draft.

Yes, Harris and Maybin are "tweeners" because they are smaller and quicker than the ideal player at their positions in a straight up 4-3 defense or a "46" defense. But, then again, virtually all DEs and OLBs in a 3-4 defense are "tweeners" as well--because the DEs are smaller than typical DTs and bigger than typical DEs and the OLBs are bigger than the typical OLB and smaller than the standard 4-3 DE (in fact, some of the best 3-4 OLBs were undersized DEs in college, LT, Merriman, D.Thomas, Bruschi and Vrabel, etc.).

So, what's so bad about drafting a "tweener"? There are a number of "tweeners" in the HOF and there will be even more in the not too distant future. Just because a guy is a "tweener" that doesn't mean that he can't be a great player in the right scheme--one that uses his talents to the maximum.

Finally, some lists of players in this draft class listed them according to the position that they played in college. Some others listed them according to their projected position in the NFL. Some listed both. As a result, one list might have Maybin at DE and Harris at SS, while another might have Maybin at OLB or OLB/DE and Harris at OLB or SS/OLB. None of these designations mean a thing!!! The only thing that matters is the position that the team says that the player is going to play--they are paying the player and calling the shots.

The Bills have said that Maybin is going to play DE and that Harris is going to be a OLB. That's all that matters.

Instead of moaning about what position v-text says that the guy is going to play, why not check out what the Bills are saying. And, let's just hope that these guys turn out to be stars at whatever position the Bills decide to play them at!!!

BTW: Billy Shaw, the Bills greatest OG, came to the Bills as a TE. So did Paul Seymour. Both ALL PRO at their positions. And there have been others, although I can't remember them all off-hand right now. So, don't get hung up on positions until they hit the field in a Bills' uniform.

X-Era
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM

The Tampa 2 is predicated on using speed and quickness to beat size. Why? Because all things being equal in terms of size and speed, the offense will always have an advantage over the defense. Also, because it is very hard to find really big guys who can hold the point of attack against bigger offensive linemen who know where they are going and what they are doing, the Tampa 2 was developed to solve the problem by not even trying to match the offensive line's size, but by beating it with speed/quickness and scheme.

Since smaller guys tend to be quicker and faster--and can be found more readily than behemoths--Tampa 2 defenses generally feature much smaller players except at a couple of key positions: the one technique defensive tackle and, to a certain extent, the 3 tech DT. It is speed and quickness that matter in this type of defense. Size matters much less.

A DE with the speed and quickness of an OLB can be successful in a Tampa 2 and, therefore, is desireable. D.Freeney is a prototype Tampa 2 DE. Aaron Maybin is a perfect fit at DE in a Tampa 2 if he can maintain his quickness and speed at 255.

Tampa 2 LBs have to be fast because, unlike other defenses, the T-2 requires LBs who can run and cover. The MLB is responsible for covering the deep middle of the field because the safeties have outside deep zone responsibilities. The OLBs have to have the speed to cover half of the field. Also, because Tampa 2 defenders tend to be smaller, pursuit and gang-tackling is important: if a teammate gets knocked out of his "fit" in run defense or beaten or knocked over because he is smaller, the rest of the defense has to run to the ball quickly to limit the size of the offense's gain.

Guys like Nic Harris, Cato June and Keith Ellison who were safeties in college who are not fast enough to play that position in the NFL can make ideal OLBs in a Tampa 2 defense because they are faster than the LBs who play in other defenses and have coverage ability. All they have to do is learn how to deal with shedding or avoiding blocks and running through the traffic at the LOS. But, a strong safety who played down "in the box" a lot already has some idea of how to do these things and, if he is intelligent, can make the transition to OLB in a Tampa 2 defense successfully.

Harris was a hard-hitting, run-support, "in the box" safety at Oklahoma where he played against top-flight offenses. He has known for a couple of years that he did not have the speed to play safety in the NFL and that he would have to transition to OLB in a Tampa 2 defense if he wanted to play in the league. So, he is already mentally prepared to make that move.

Even during some Oklahoma games the past two seasons the commentators would talk about Harris becoming a OLB in a T-2 defense. From the comments that I have heard and read, Harris has as good a chance to be successful at OLB in a T-2 scheme as any LB in this draft class who was on the board after the end of Round 1 (one reason the Bills didn't take Maualuga, as good as he has the potential to be in some defenses, is that he doesn't have the speed to cover the deep middle in a T-2 and can't play OLB in the scheme).

The Bills met and talked with Harris prior to the draft and I am sure that they discussed the possibility that they would take him late in the draft and that he would have to make the transition to OLB in their defense. From what I read in various sources, he is prepared to make the move and willing to do it.

There will be a "learning curve" with Harris and there is no guarantee that he will be able to make the transition successfully--especially not in his rookie season. But, he is a big hitter and this is a decent pick for the Bills to make this late in the draft.

Yes, Harris and Maybin are "tweeners" because they are smaller and quicker than the ideal player at their positions in a straight up 4-3 defense or a "46" defense. But, then again, virtually all DEs and OLBs in a 3-4 defense are "tweeners" as well--because the DEs are smaller than typical DTs and bigger than typical DEs and the OLBs are bigger than the typical OLB and smaller than the standard 4-3 DE (in fact, some of the best 3-4 OLBs were undersized DEs in college, LT, Merriman, D.Thomas, Bruschi and Vrabel, etc.).

So, what's so bad about drafting a "tweener"? There are a number of "tweeners" in the HOF and there will be even more in the not too distant future. Just because a guy is a "tweener" that doesn't mean that he can't be a great player in the right scheme--one that uses his talents to the maximum.

Finally, some lists of players in this draft class listed them according to the position that they played in college. Some others listed them according to their projected position in the NFL. Some listed both. As a result, one list might have Maybin at DE and Harris at SS, while another might have Maybin at OLB or OLB/DE and Harris at OLB or SS/OLB. None of these designations mean a thing!!! The only thing that matters is the position that the team says that the player is going to play--they are paying the player and calling the shots.

The Bills have said that Maybin is going to play DE and that Harris is going to be a OLB. That's all that matters.

Instead of moaning about what position v-text says that the guy is going to play, why not check out what the Bills are saying. And, let's just hope that these guys turn out to be stars at whatever position the Bills decide to play them at!!!

BTW: Billy Shaw, the Bills greatest OG, came to the Bills as a TE. So did Paul Seymour. Both ALL PRO at their positions. And there have been others, although I can't remember them all off-hand right now. So, don't get hung up on positions until they hit the field in a Bills' uniform.

:clap:

We must have forgotten that we took an undrafted TE and made him into a pro-bowl LT.

mikemac2001
04-26-2009, 03:11 PM
I'll take that as you can't come up with anything other than your beer buzz is getting ruined by reality.

i was actually just giving u a hard time, at work and bored....

But to be honest all you do is bash everything

he might actually work out its a 5th rd pick so im not expecting a day one started but i sure as hell think he can beat our ellison

seems like he has upside and hasn't been dedicated to one pos in his college career which you can't really blame him

has done w/e the team has asked

kid mickey
04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello Cary Harris, how does it feel to be a 6th round pick.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 03:40 PM

wow.

It's not bad to have a good secondary. It's bad to have a good secondary but a bad OL, bad DL, bad linebackers....

seanbillsfan
04-26-2009, 04:52 PM

thank you so much for for taking such a LONG time explaing that to me

djjimkelly
04-26-2009, 04:59 PM
on sirius they said he will be a hybrid safety/LB the guy in carolina thomas davis i believe his name is

Dujek
04-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Compares To: CATO JUNE, Houston -- Harris does not have the pass coverage ability of June, but both are more of a chase-and-trail type of linebacker who work better playing downhill and in the short-area pursuit than handling man coverage assignments. Like June, Harris will be limited to playing in a Cover-2 scheme. It is evident by his poor hip turn and marginal speed for the position that he will not be considered to be a strong safety by many teams.

More accurately...

Compares to: Coy Wire. Undersized for linebacker, too slow to play safety, will make some plays on Special Teams and give 100% but that's OK because he'll be cheap to sign.

kid mickey
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Nic Harris at 6'2 234lbs is not undersized one of the scouts said he will be competing for a starter position. They want him to get up to 240lbs. This pick really intrigues me. I think it might have been the steal of the draft.