PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Nelson and some random thoughts

BillsWin
04-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Love the pick. Just saw some highlights. Combine was great. Can go over the top and make some difficult catches in traffic. ran a 4.52. he is 6'5''.

I love the pick I can't wait to see how he improves our offense.

You really need to sit down and think about it, but this draft made us better on offense by a good margin.

With a WR corp of T.O, Evans, Reed, Johnson and Hardy.

One of the best RB trios I have ever seen in Lynch, Jackson and Rhodes.

A QB who is somewhat competent.

A new flashy TE with some great athletic ability.

An O-line that looks pretty solid on paper, Id love to see it look something like this: Butler, Levitre, Wood, Hangnarter and Walker... Levitre is the best guard in the draft and was worth a 2nd swapped for our third and one of our fourths.

There really is no excuse of having a lack of weapons now. Trent has, as John Gruden says, "The best WR corps in the league" and 3 serviceable and talented RBs and a TE.

The defense may have improved too, It all hangs on Maybin. If he provides a pass rush, we are better. Alot better with Schobel back

If Bryd contributes at FS, we have a ball hawk in the backfield. He's growing on me.

This is a solid draft thus far. Even the Nic Harris pick provides depth at OLB.

We are a better team for it.

I think Shawn Nelson will be a fan favorite of this year's draft. Although the Wood pick intrigues me. He could be the center for our offense for years to come. I don't like the fact that they want him at guard...

At first glance,MY OPINION was that this draft was a failure. But I let the picks sink in and thought about it, and I see that it was very successful.

The offense really has no excuse but to perform and our defense has a chance to be very good with Schobel back and Maybin on 3rd downs.

I like it. There are some things I would have done differently, but I am satisfied with the direction we took.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Umm, I never thought this draft was failure...just didn't agree with the pick of Byrd. Who knows...maybe he'll prove to be worth the pick.

EDS
04-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Love the pick. Just saw some highlights. Combine was great. Can go over the top and make some difficult catches in traffic. ran a 4.52. he is 6'5''.

I love the pick I can't wait to see how he improves our offense.

You really need to sit down and think about it, but this draft made us better on offense by a good margin.

With a WR corp of T.O, Evans, Reed, Johnson and Hardy.

One of the best RB trios I have ever seen in Lynch, Jackson and Rhodes.

A QB who is somewhat competent.

A new flashy TE with some great athletic ability.

An O-line that looks pretty solid on paper, Id love to see it look something like this: Butler, Levitre, Wood, Hangnarter and Walker... Levitre is the best guard in the draft and was worth a 2nd swapped for our third and one of our fourths.

There really is no excuse of having a lack of weapons now. Trent has, as John Gruden says, "The best WR corps in the league" and 3 serviceable and talented RBs and a TE.

The defense may have improved too, It all hangs on Maybin. If he provides a pass rush, we are better. Alot better with Schobel back

If Bryd contributes at FS, we have a ball hawk in the backfield. He's growing on me.

This is a solid draft thus far. Even the Nic Harris pick provides depth at OLB.

We are a better team for it.

I think Shawn Nelson will be a fan favorite of this year's draft. Although the Wood pick intrigues me. He could be the center for our offense for years to come. I don't like the fact that they want him at guard...

At first glance, this draft was a failure. But I let the picks sink in and thought about it, and it was very successful.

The offense really has no excuse but to perform and our defense has a chance to be very good with Schobel back and Maybin on 3rd downs.

I like it. There are some things I would have done differently, but I am satisfied with the direction we took.

Always interests me to hear people change their minds so quickly. Makes me think you haven't thought things through beforehand.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
How can it go from failure to success just by thinking about it? A draft is just a draft.. success or failure will be determined years from now not today.

its only entertainment at this point.. sort of waiting for them to call your lottery number to see if you won....

only a few players in this entire draft are going to make any real difference in the leage.

we got solid players... but so did every other team.

we still got crap for coaching

DrGraves
Line is much improved and has potential, RB's WR's are great, Nelson can be good..

I honestly think our weakest point on offense is Trent...

BillsWin
Umm, I never thought this draft was failure...just didn't agree with the pick of Byrd. Who knows...maybe he'll prove to be worth the pick.

I did. I thought that we should have taken three different players with our top three picks, but I changed my initial prejudices.

Crisis
i like the draft, i'm just a little concerned that nearly everyone we picked is going to be playing out of their natural (college) position

BillsWin
04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Always interests me to hear people change their minds so quickly. Makes me think you haven't thought things through beforehand.

I've always been excitable, but i dont think I have said much negative about the draft in any other thread unlike some people.

BillsWin
04-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Line is much improved and has potential, RB's WR's are great, Nelson can be good..

I honestly think our weakest point on offense is Trent...

The year is really in the hands of trent and the coaches.

BillsWin
04-26-2009, 03:39 PM
How can it go from failure to success just by thinking about it? A draft is just a draft.. success or failure will be determined years from now not today.

its only entertainment at this point.. sort of waiting for them to call your lottery number to see if you won....

only a few players in this entire draft are going to make any real difference in the leage.

we got solid players... but so did every other team.

we still got crap for coaching

My opinion went from failure to success. You're right. it is a wait and see thing.

Night Train
04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Seemed like there was a boatload of these pass catching TE's in this draft and this guy has some wheels to go with his height.

He could be anything but it shows we didn't need to reach early for a TE, when Lineman were a far higher priority.

Even getting a higher rated Byrd to play Safety was a better move than TE.

The rest of these picks from Rounds 5-7 are all longshots, as expected.

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
This is the guy I was hoping the Bills would pick coming in to this draft...never thought he'd be there where we ended up taking him. Very excited to see what he brings to the offense.

Philagape
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
It's impossible to say how the line will do. Two rookies who may start right away ... A C becoming a full-time starter for the first time ... Walker potentially moving ... Butler potentially moving ... a wild-card project in Bell .....
Just because some people here can type a hypothetical lineup doesn't mean the line is solved. They have to actually play pretty well, too.
Just as it's way too early to condemn the season, it's also way to early to celebrate it.

casdhf
04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
I think that the inside of our OL is going to be solid for years. Quick passes, and running up the gut. Who needs tackles?

BillsWin
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Here is what Chris Brown thinks of Nelson and I think he is right...

Nelson might be best pick so far (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/26/nelson-might-be-best-pick-so-far/)

By Chris Brown - Posted April 26th, 2009
What a fantastic value the Bills got in Shawn Nelson in round 4. In terms of talent and value this might be Buffalo’s best pick so far this weekend.
The guy ran a 4.52 and is a pretty polished route runner, so I anticipate him contributing in the passing game right away. Trent is going to love throwing to this guy.
This guy is a difference maker in the passing game, and the kind of player that answers Ralph Wilson’s request for more talent. Nelson is talent personified.

Tags: Shawn Nelson (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/shawn-nelson/)

Nighthawk
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
I think that the inside of our OL is going to be solid for years. Quick passes, and running up the gut. Who needs tackles?

Funny, but unrealistic...

Buddo
04-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Day One and our 4th round pick sum up this draft for the Bills - they got much of what they needed imho.
In many respects, I anticipate this draft as being rated highly, dependant on how Maybin and Byrd pan out. I don't think there's a misstep with Wood, Levitre or Nelson, certainly not where Nelson was picked.
If Maybin can get to the passer a fair bit, it will be deemed successful. The kid is young, but as already pointed out, you cannot teach 'speed', whereas a lot of the other aspects he will need to learn, he should be able to.
If Byrd makes a successful transition to FS, I think it actually has the potential, to have been an excellent draft. Something to point out here, is that when with the Bears, Jauron did something very similar with Mike Brown, who was no mean player until his injuries got the better of him.
Harris may actually turn out to be of some use on the field, but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope there.
I think that Keiaho's phone, should be ringing sometime very soon with an offer tbh.
For the moment, I think they've done a solid job - helped enormously by Nelson falling.

Bert102176
04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
and yet no good FB on this team, I wanted the guy from syracuse

kid mickey
04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Bills Brass think they addressed all their needs in this draft. The pick that really intrigues me is Nic Harris. I know nothing will be given to him, but I think he really has a lot of untapped potential at linebacker.

Bill Cody
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Who is our strength coach? He has a lot of pressure on him. He has to bulk up Maybin, Nelson and Harris for any of them to really help us.

DynaPaul
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
We addressed definite needs and everything looks good on paper but it usually looks good on paper every year. A year or two from now we'll know for sure so here's hoping that it was like that famous draft in the 80's.