View Full Version : Bruce was only 10 pounds heavier than Maybin

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Bruce- 260 lbs, 6-4
Maybin- 250 lbs, 6-4

Hes not that undersized. Just gain 6-8 pounds and hes at the size of Smith

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Bruce's playing weight was 273. That's 24 pounds heavier than Maybin's combine weight of 249.

Next.

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Bruce's playing weight was 273. That's 24 pounds heavier than Maybin's combine weight of 249.

Next.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitBr00.htm

http://www.nfl.com/players/brucesmith/profile?id=SMI088160

Ginger Vitis
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
I like the Maybin pick but even if Bruce only weighed 10 pounds more than Aaron Maybin take into consideration Bruce came into the league in the Mid 80s.. back then 260 was big for a DE

GvilleBills
04-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Bruce came down to that weight when he got in shape. He was chubby when we got him, 290ish? Maybin blew up to that weight. Played at 230. Hope he can keep it on. If we use him right he will be studly.

Mitchell55
04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Another thing I like about maybin is he became great at 235. Who knows what he can do 20 lbs heavier.

OpIv37
04-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Another thing I like about maybin is he became great at 235. Who knows what he can do 20 lbs heavier.

First, Bruce had to LOSE weight to get down to his playing weight, not GAIN it. So your Maybin comparison goes to hell right away.

Second, he played at 273. The links you have say 263 and 265, NOT 260. Even if we go with the lowest confirmed number, 263, Maybin's STILL 14 pounds below Smith, and that's AFTER he already gained 13 or 14 pounds.

So, keep spinning numbers to make yourself feel better. But the reality is that Maybin is undersized and it's going to take him time to develop. And we don't have time- we need a pass rush Week 1.

MikeInRoch
04-26-2009, 10:19 PM
And we don't have time- we need a pass rush Week 1.

I will never, ever agree with your position that the most important thing is to get a player who can make an impact *now*. We should get the player that we feel is going to have the best career as a Bill - not necessarily the one who can start day 1.

SABURZFAN
04-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Bruce- 260 lbs, 6-4
Maybin- 250 lbs, 6-4

:rofl:

this kid needs to put on 25 more lbs to be in company with Bruce Smith. there's no comparison if that's where you're trying to go with this.

McBFLO
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Maybin has been compared to Jason Taylor, who is listed as being 6'6" 244 lbs on ESPN. He's been pretty successful. Give the kid a chance. Good god man. Some of you people get off on being downers.

Syderick
04-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Hell Maybin's heavier then Schobel

cookie G
04-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Ryan Denney is only 20 lbs lighter than Reggie White.

So if Maybin and Denney gain 30 lbs total....

Holy Crap!!!!!

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Next.

Bruce and Maybin should not be used in the same breath, but you do realize that Maybin is only 21 right? I agree hes small be hes still a kid. He could easily fill out, hopefully without losing his first step.

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2009, 12:39 AM
First, Bruce had to LOSE weight to get down to his playing weight, not GAIN it. So your Maybin comparison goes to hell right away.

Second, he played at 273. The links you have say 263 and 265, NOT 260. Even if we go with the lowest confirmed number, 263, Maybin's STILL 14 pounds below Smith, and that's AFTER he already gained 13 or 14 pounds.

So, keep spinning numbers to make yourself feel better. But the reality is that Maybin is undersized and it's going to take him time to develop. And we don't have time- we need a pass rush Week 1.

I understand your desire to win now, but Im sure youll agree we probably wont push for a super bowl this year. Were still a year or two away from fielding a serious competitor. So why exactly dont we have time for maybin to develop?

Mr. Pink
04-27-2009, 02:10 AM
We won't mention that the entire NFL on average was smaller 20 years ago either.

Dumb thread and comparison.

Historian
04-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Bruce Smith came into the league at 305.

Rusty Jones chiseled him into a 273 pound tornado.

I think the Bills are still stinging from not drafting Dwight Freeney a few years back, and based on the tape I saw, he reminds me of that type of player.

The Bills will bulk him up a little.

HHURRICANE
04-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Bruce- 260 lbs, 6-4
Maybin- 250 lbs, 6-4

This is why I hate young people posting stuff on teams they never saw or understood.

Bruce came in heavier than his playing weight and became a warrior of the stair climbing machine. Hank Bullough actually asked "who's the fat kid"? in Bruce's first camp.

Ten times harder to build size than trim down.

GreedoII
04-27-2009, 07:26 AM
[quote=Mitchell55]Bruce- 260 lbs, 6-4
Maybin- 250 lbs, 6-4

Hes not that undersized. Just gain 6-8 pounds and hes at the size of Smith[/quote

remember in 1985 players were a lot smaller on the o-line than they are today....]

HHURRICANE
04-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I understand your desire to win now, but Im sure youll agree we probably wont push for a super bowl this year. Were still a year or two away from fielding a serious competitor. So why exactly dont we have time for maybin to develop?

I'll help with this. Because when Marv came in here with the owner standing next to him they promised to get a playoff caliber team on the field. Now 4 years later you are asking us to wait another 2 years in a 9 year drought. It's ridiculous.

On top of that the clock is ticking. The lease on the stadium I beleive is up in two years and it's not like they couldn't get out of it tommorow if they wanted to.

I believe the Bills will be gone in the next 3 years so some of us were hoping for one last run before they left. If you haven't figured it out the purge has begun to shuttle the team.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2009, 07:54 AM
What I hate is people saying Maybin will be a bust at 6'4" 250 and 21 years old. He has more than adequate size to play 4-3 DE in today's game, and he has the height to gain 15 lbs, if anyone thinks that 15 lbs will really make all the difference.

justasportsfan
04-27-2009, 07:59 AM

Next.
WTF OP? Maybin will be one hell of a player for the bills when we shift to another coach who will run the 3-4.

ddaryl
04-27-2009, 08:00 AM
also considering Maybin was a sophmore, he has a much higher ceiling then the rest of the DE's in the draft..

Maybin weight compared to Smith is a farce... Maybin put on 20 lbs just in time for the combine

TedMock
04-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Bruce was close to 300 lbs when we drafted him. He got down to the 270-275 range by his 2nd season. He became a stairmaster freak prior to the 1990 season and played at 260-something for the rest of his career. I recently watched something about the best DE's in history on NFL Network. He said that he would literally go through 3 stairmasters per year because he wore them out. That's insane.

billsfanone
04-27-2009, 08:52 AM
I'll accept the Jason Taylor comparison.

Jan Reimers
04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Do any of us know what players really weigh, or even their height, for that matter? Their press guide numbers are often optimistic.

What really matters is performance.

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
This is why I hate young people posting stuff on teams they never saw or understood.

Bruce came in heavier than his playing weight and became a warrior of the stair climbing machine. Hank Bullough actually asked "who's the fat kid"? in Bruce's first camp.

Ten times harder to build size than trim down.

kind of like people who post opinions on players before the draft when theyve never seen them play huh....? Crabtree cough cough....

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I'll help with this. Because when Marv came in here with the owner standing next to him they promised to get a playoff caliber team on the field. Now 4 years later you are asking us to wait another 2 years in a 9 year drought. It's ridiculous.

On top of that the clock is ticking. The lease on the stadium I beleive is up in two years and it's not like they couldn't get out of it tommorow if they wanted to.

I believe the Bills will be gone in the next 3 years so some of us were hoping for one last run before they left. If you haven't figured it out the purge has begun to shuttle the team.

great well youre a patriots fan now so you dont have to worry. We came into this draft knowing we had a ton of holes and we need to build, and now youre mad bc we didnt get a player thats going to make an impact right away and get us to the super bowl? You just write stuff to hear yourself...its gotten sad

OpIv37
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I will never, ever agree with your position that the most important thing is to get a player who can make an impact *now*. We should get the player that we feel is going to have the best career as a Bill - not necessarily the one who can start day 1.

The most important thing shouldn't be to get a player who can make an impact now. But it is because of the way this FO does business.

Consider this:

When 2008 ended, most of us would have agreed that the Bills had holes at DE, OLB, TE and C. For better or worse, the Bills cut Dockery and traded Peters, meaning that our needs this off season were:

LT, LG, C, TE, OLB, DE.

Now, I'm not sold on Hangartner but that's a different discussion, so for now, I'm going to say that the FO addressed C in the off-season. THAT'S IT. So, in order to improve over last year's 7-9 squad that was 0-6 in the divsion, we STILL needed LT, LG, OLB, DE and TE going into the draft.

We got players at most of those positions, but since they can't contribute immediately, we really are no better than we were last year. And by the time they are ready, positions that aren't holes now will become holes, and we'll be drafting MORE guys who can't contribute immediately, and we'll be right back in the same situation.

When a team has 6 major holes, they can't fill 5 of them with draft picks based on long term projection and still expect to be more competitive than they were the year before. So, don't worry about players who can make an immediate impact. And don't worry about winning either, because we won't be doing much of it until these guys start making an impact. It sucks, and it puts far too much pressure on the kids, but that's how this FO insists on doing business.

Spiderweb
04-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Bruce Smith came into the league at 305.

Rusty Jones chiseled him into a 273 pound tornado.

I think the Bills are still stinging from not drafting Dwight Freeney a few years back, and based on the tape I saw, he reminds me of that type of player.

The Bills will bulk him up a little.
273 was his long time listed playing weight. I was often said that he would fall under 260 during the course of a season.

Bruce had a freakish combination of quickness, strength, and agility.

Kind a tough to be comparing a rookie to him, regardless of what he weighs.

As Maybin adds a few years and NFL style weight management, it's conceivable he'll play heavier.

BillsWin
04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
He will eventually be the undisputed number one pass rusher in this draft. It may take a year or two, but he will be great.

OpIv37
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
He will eventually be the undisputed number one pass rusher in this draft. It may take a year or two, but he will be great.

that's the problem. In the meantime, we're stuck with the three stooges and Chris Ellis.

zone
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Maybin has never played a down in the NFL, to put him in the same sentence as the best ever to play the position just shows what a little kid you are.

Maybin can not hold Bruce's jock, neither can any other DE in the league.

Get a freakin grip.

Harold Miner weighed 5 pounds less than Michael Jordan and was touted as the next coming, how did that work out for him.

There will never, ever be another Bruce Smith, ever.

BillsWin
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
that's the problem. In the meantime, we're stuck with the three stooges and Chris Ellis.

you are absolutely right with this post

On a side note however, OP, now that DB is gone I guess all my argumentative posting will once again be pointed at you. I know that makes justasportsfan jealous, but BW vs. OP goes way back to last season and I think we can try to do it justice once again. Sad to see such an arrogant poster go though... those are always the most fun. *le sigh* :loser: