PDA

View Full Version : Is Donte Whitner's roster spot safe?

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Dairus Byrd is coming in to compete for the FS spot. Where does that leave Whitner? Is he going to play SS or does Brian Scott take that job? Whitner was talking like the FS spot was his to have on his facebook, but now with his recent arrest the Bills went out and got a Safety, wonder what he is thinking?!?!?

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Dairus Byrd is coming in to compete for the FS spot. Where does that leave Whitner? Is he going to play SS or does Brian Scott take that job? Whitner was talking like the FS spot was his to have on his facebook, but now with his recent arrest the Bills went out and got a Safety, wonder what he is thinking?!?!?

What about Walker?

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 12:35 AM
You mean Langston Walker? I don't know yet. Its hard to judge with Walker. He could be on the outs, but it would be a surprise with him. That means that Demetrius Bell is going to be a starter. Not sure how its all gonna play out. Depends on what they see in Bell.

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Going back and watching Fewell's comments on Whitner at the combine has assured me that Whitner is not going to lose his spot on this team. It was pretty far fetched to think that a small thing like an arrest would hamper his spot on this team. He is going to be the SS obviously with Dairus Byrd playing the FS role.

ddaryl
04-27-2009, 11:40 AM
What about Walker?

why would we out one of our best vet OL ????

I also think Whitner is pretty safe this year...

Yasgur's Farm
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Whitner stays at FS. I see Byrd at SS... 1 of his best attributes is delivering a blow.

Yasgur's Farm
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
What's up with the lesbian anime adds?

TigerJ
04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I think Whitner's roster spot is safe. I don't know how it will all shake out, but I think Whitner, Scott, and Byrd are going to compete at both safety spots, I don't think Whitner will get shut out in that competition.

I see no reason to suggess Walker could be on his way out either. That just makes no sense to me. Levitre is not going to play tackle for the Bills, period!

Mahdi
04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
The Bills have always been happy with Whitner at SS. They were not happy with the FS spot which is why they wanted to move Whitner there to improve it.

Now that they drafted Byrd he will take the FS spot and Whitner will stay in the box where he can act as the Bob Sanders, in the box type.

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Whitner stays at FS. I see Byrd at SS... 1 of his best attributes is delivering a blow.

No. Man The Bills staff see him(Byrd) as a FS, while Whitner is the hard hitting SS. Plus you can't just cut Whitner. He has his captain rights. Personally I bet Whitner takes Byrd under his wing like he did with McKelvin last year. I fully expect Poz to get a Captain patch though. Kelsay is gonna be stripped of his captain rights.

zone
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
What's up with the lesbian anime adds?
I have been wondering the same thing for 2 days....

Pretty funny.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Whitner will start at FS, Scott at SS. But I'd imagine Byrd gets in later in the year to FS while Whitner moves to SS, the best combo on the paper.

Mahdi
04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Whitner will start at FS, Scott at SS. But I'd imagine Byrd gets in later in the year to FS while Whitner moves to SS, the best combo on the paper.
The fact that the Bills thought enough of Byrd to draft him in the second tells me they fully intend to start him. He will have to really drop the ball to end up on the bench for Scott to start.

venis2k1
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
No. Man The Bills staff see him(Byrd) as a FS, while Whitner is the hard hitting SS. Plus you can't just cut Whitner. He has his captain rights. Personally I bet Whitner takes Byrd under his wing like he did with McKelvin last year. I fully expect Poz to get a Captain patch though. Kelsay is gonna be stripped of his captain rights.

"Captain rights" whatever that is means nothing. Lets remember that Losman and Kelsay were also captains. The best SS and the best FS on the roster will start opening day. One will prolly be Whitner.

Pinkerton Security
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I have been wondering the same thing for 2 days....

Pretty funny.

very odd, I just noticed it before I read this post and was like "wait...that is some girl on girl...umm...???"

nateodoms'bff
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM

That seems like to much movement in the back of the secondary in the middle of the season. Whoever wins the job in camp, gets the job. Rookie or not.

I think the clear message was sent to the players, that positions are not safe on this roster. I think a huge part of the problem on this team was that there was not enough competition. Now there is at LB, S, Nickle CB, G and T. The FO drafted guys to fill 4 of the five holes on this team. I don't include TE because I think that job has not had a clear starter in years, just guys filling a roster spot.

There are FIVE potential starters from this draft. FIVE! That's a lot of guys that could be sitting the bench that weren't last year. I love the moves, I think it makes the TEAM better at all positions when there is competition for the starting job.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 02:36 PM
You mean Langston Walker? I don't know yet. Its hard to judge with Walker. He could be on the outs, but it would be a surprise with him. That means that Demetrius Bell is going to be a starter. Not sure how its all gonna play out. Depends on what they see in Bell.
This post makes zero sense.

Where have you heard Langston walker is on the outs?

They are high enough on him to NOT draft a Tackle at 11.

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
why would we out one of our best vet OL ????

I also think Whitner is pretty safe this year...

I confused his signature for an actual post.......so I wasn't suggesting that at all. Total misunderstanding.......I asked that question because Walker is left out of his O-line prediction.

Woops. :doh:

Anyway, I also thought Scott outplayed Donte as a SS and if Byrd looks the part as a FS and bumps Donte, he becomes a backup. Yikes.

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
This post makes zero sense.

Where have you heard Langston walker is on the outs?

They are high enough on him to NOT draft a Tackle at 11.

Could be is the key phrase there. Not will be. Just shooting in the dark here. I am wondering how this line is gonna shape up. That is all.

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
That seems like to much movement in the back of the secondary in the middle of the season. Whoever wins the job in camp, gets the job. Rookie or not.

I think the clear message was sent to the players, that positions are not safe on this roster. I think a huge part of the problem on this team was that there was not enough competition. Now there is at LB, S, Nickle CB, G and T. The FO drafted guys to fill 4 of the five holes on this team. I don't include TE because I think that job has not had a clear starter in years, just guys filling a roster spot.

There are FIVE potential starters from this draft. FIVE! That's a lot of guys that could be sitting the bench that weren't last year. I love the moves, I think it makes the TEAM better at all positions when there is competition for the starting job.

I think there is actually 6 potential starters from this draft with Maybin, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, Nelson and Harris all have a shot at a spot. I think Kelsay gets cut so he won't be sitting on our bench, Royal was already cut so Nelson really isn't forcing anybody onto the bench either, Dockery is gone so you can bet that Wood is getting a spot. They like Butler at tackle so Levitre has got a spot too. Walker will probably get the first shot at LT so Bell would have to beat him out. Ellison looks like the only guy who could really find his ass on the bench. Harris could supplant him real quick. It just depends on how everything works out.

ServoBillieves
04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I think we've mostly become a rotational Safety group. Whitner/Scott for almost guaranteed rushing downs, Simpson/Byrd/Whitner/Wilson can do well in coverage downs, and Wendling has pretty much just become a pure ST player, a Coy Wire who actually tackles rather than just dives on the pile if you will.

As for depth chart though, I believe Whitner retains the top spot at SS, we have too much invested in him.

OpIv37
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
I've made my feelings on Whitner very clear, but at this point, Whitner/Byrd or Whitner/Scott is still better than Byrd/Scott. I seriously hope this FO doesn't cut yet another vet without finding a clear replacement first.

There's a small chance that Whitner won't be starting, but even that's highly unlikely. Like it or not (and I don't), he's still the best S on this roster.

Dying_-2-_Live
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM
I've made my feelings on Whitner very clear, but at this point, Whitner/Byrd or Whitner/Scott is still better than Byrd/Scott. I seriously hope this FO doesn't cut yet another vet without finding a clear replacement first.

There's a small chance that Whitner won't be starting, but even that's highly unlikely. Like it or not (and I don't), he's still the best S on this roster.
bingo... on the nail

Oaf
04-27-2009, 09:56 PM
very odd, I just noticed it before I read this post and was like "wait...that is some girl on girl...umm...???"
Yeah, wtf? Shelby?