PDA

View Full Version : So I'm in DFW airport Saturday...

soapman
04-27-2009, 08:04 AM
...and I sit down in TGI Fridays to watch the draft while I wait for my flight that I ended up missing(long story). In walks this old couple and they sit right next to me and the old guy asks "you know anything about this draft, my friends son just got picked by the Buffalo Bills." So I tell him how I'm a big Bills fan and he starts to tell me about he and Maybin's dad are good friends and how they had a good family and deep into the church and whatever. That's when it hit me. The Bills picked him over Orakpo because of his character. I think the FO fell in love with his character and were set on him regardless.

Oh and after the pick Maybin's dad sent the guy a text that said simply "12 millio signing bonus":clap:

jamze132
04-27-2009, 08:08 AM
That's cool. I was sitting in my tent watching the draft tracker and some guy next to me got mad because I wasn't doing Army things.

mikemac2001
04-27-2009, 08:10 AM
That's cool. I was sitting in my tent watching the draft tracker and some guy next to me got mad because I wasn't doing Army things.

Now i get your avatar :funny:

Tatonka
04-27-2009, 09:07 AM
...and I sit down in TGI Fridays to watch the draft while I wait for my flight that I ended up missing(long story). In walks this old couple and they sit right next to me and the old guy asks "you know anything about this draft, my friends son just got picked by the Buffalo Bills." So I tell him how I'm a big Bills fan and he starts to tell me about he and Maybin's dad are good friends and how they had a good family and deep into the church and whatever. That's when it hit me. The Bills picked him over Orakpo because of his character. I think the FO fell in love with his character and were set on him regardless.

Oh and after the pick Maybin's dad sent the guy a text that said simply "12 millio signing bonus":clap:

on an unrelated subject.. how ****ing nuts is it that 10 picks is the difference in so much money.. 78 mill for stafford?? the highest paid player in the nfl? really?

but yeah.. i think that maybins motor and character were the determining factors.. being that they were so close physically in almost all catagories..

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Don't forget the Texas factor.

PromoTheRobot
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I think Maybin was picked over Orakpo because 1) He's a Penn State guy, played in cold weather, coached by Joe Pa. 2) Texas "bust" factor on Orakpo.

PTR

jamze132
04-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Now i get your avatar :funny:
yeah I guess setting up an Adobe Connect meeting is more important than the Bills draft. :wtf:

Typ0
04-27-2009, 11:25 AM
If by character you are talking about work ethic then yeah, that's definately got a lot to do with it. I think they could absolutely care less that he goes to church though.

BillsWin
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I have to call Jason Williams this afternoon. I hate covering the cowboys...

TigerJ
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
"Say Jason, are you disappointed you weren't picked by the Bills?"

jpdex12
04-27-2009, 03:28 PM
$12 mill signing bonus? How did he know that when it still takes months for these first rounders to get signed and report to training camp?

soapman
04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
$12 mill signing bonus? How did he know that when it still takes months for these first rounders to get signed and report to training camp?

My guess is that's what his agent was telling him.

jimbohastle51
04-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Uno one should be happy this kid is getting a 12million signing bonus let alone his "religious" father is that worried about those millions, I am pretty sure god will take care of them without a 12 million bonus or at least u would hope a pastor would think?anyways we are giving a situational pass rusher that much money and we need to win now. All I know is if he doesn't get 8-10sacks it's a waste of money on a team that needs to win now. Sure in 2-3 years he may be great but I think we were not in a position to draft a developemental guy at 11. That is something a team that has a down year and rarely drafts that high does. Orakpo may not have a bigger upside but he is ready to play every down right now. I like the kid, but not for a have to win now team.