PDA

View Full Version : Short Arm Levitre

ghz in pittsburgh
04-27-2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/rock041409.htm

On the list, you see Jason Peters has 33 and 1/8 inch arms.

In comparison, Demetrius Bell's arm is 33 and 1/4.

I can't find Langston Walker's arm Length, but he supposed to have very long arms (Al Davis is all about physical numbers). I don't know about Kirk Chambers number.

By the way, one the reason Brad Butler was always projected as a Guard in NFL is because he has very - I mean very - short arm at 31 and 1/4 inches.

Pinkerton Security
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM
sort of unrelated but ...

http://www.nextseasonsports.com/2009/02/seahawks-crabtrees-arm-length-freakish.html

Crabtree has longer arms than Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards and many other NFL players...at over 34 inches its kinda ridiculous for a guy thats only 6'1" or so

The Spaz
04-27-2009, 10:41 AM
sort of unrelated but ...

http://www.nextseasonsports.com/2009/02/seahawks-crabtrees-arm-length-freakish.html

Crabtree has longer arms than Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards and many other NFL players...at over 34 inches its kinda ridiculous for a guy thats only 6'1" or so

That is crazy. I wonder how Long James Hardy arms are?

Jan Reimers
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
You'll like Joel Bell, our UDFA OT, who has 34" arms. He just may be starting next year. And there go my plans for "alligator arms" Butler to play RT.

But I think seriously considering these arm measurements move us into an area somewhere between absurd and assinine.

ServoBillieves
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
a 2 inch loss in arm length makes it insanely short?

Damn.

Pinkerton Security
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
a 2 inch loss in arm length makes it insanely short?

Damn.

how can someone block with 31 1/2" arms?!!?!?! thats absurd, he shouldnt even be a lineman!!

it is definitely getting into the area of outrageous. I can understand how if some dude has really long arms, it can be seen as an asset, but someone dropping because he has arms that are shorter than average is ridiculous.

Tatonka
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
2 inches is a lot.. least that is what i tell my wife.

BillsWin
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM

about the distance from Buffalo to Albany and back.

LABillsFan
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Wonder what the arm lengths of DE's are? Could be like having your older brother extend his arm on to your head and you trying to punch him

BillsWin
04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Levitre is a road grader type A pure guard with a talent for run blocking. he doesnt need long arms.

The Spaz
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Levitre is a road grader type A pure guard with a talent for run blocking. he doesnt need long arms.

Yeah from doing some reading he has really strong hands and once he has a hold of you you are going with him...lol

ghz in pittsburgh
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
how can someone block with 31 1/2" arms?!!?!?! thats absurd, he shouldnt even be a lineman!!

it is definitely getting into the area of outrageous. I can understand how if some dude has really long arms, it can be seen as an asset, but someone dropping because he has arms that are shorter than average is ridiculous.

Actually that's one of the most important measurements for both O- and D-Linemen, I was told.

Think about the Freak Jevon Kearse whose arm length is over 36 inches. If he's coming at you from the edge, he hits one side of your shoulder with his right arm (his stronger side) - and he does have a lot of quickness especially when he was a rookie - you try to counter hit his chest or shoulder, but your 31 inch arms are hitting air while his landed square on. The result: your shoulder turns from the impact, and he gets by on the way to your QB. Do you still remember the safty of Rob Johnson from that musical city miracle?

Watch Modrak talk about Maybin in the Maybin and Wood reaction video. He specifically mentioned about Maybin's long arms and Jauron also talked about his long reach. And while you are at it, watch Eric Wood's scouting video - they specifically mentioned his long arms will serve him good in NFL. I can only imagine that he'll be Bills' Center (in one or two years) for a long time to come because he'll be very effective, maybe even dominating, against those nose tackles in AFC east.

Generally speaking, taller people have longer arms. That's why they want linemen with certain heights. But my friend told me that if a guy is 5'5" and 35" arms, he's be the best because he'll have the best leverage against those taller dudes. Trouble is that they can't find these people in the world - until they produce them from the lab I guess.

psubills62
04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Actually that's one of the most important measurements for both O- and D-Linemen, I was told.

Think about the Freak Jevon Kearse whose arm length is over 36 inches. If he's coming at you from the edge, he hits one side of your shoulder with his right arm (his stronger side) - and he does have a lot of quickness especially when he was a rookie - you try to counter hit his chest or shoulder, but your 31 inch arms are hitting air while his landed square on. The result: your shoulder turns from the impact, and he gets by on the way to your QB. Do you still remember the safty of Rob Johnson from that musical city miracle?

Watch Modrak talk about Maybin in the Maybin and Wood reaction video. He specifically mentioned about Maybin's long arms and Jauron also talked about his long reach. And while you are at it, watch Eric Wood's scouting video - they specifically mentioned his long arms will serve him good in NFL. I can only imagine that he'll be Bills' Center (in one or two years) for a long time to come because he'll be very effective, maybe even dominating, against those nose tackles in AFC east.

Generally speaking, taller people have longer arms. That's why they want linemen with certain heights. But my friend told me that if a guy is 5'5" and 35" arms, he's be the best because he'll have the best leverage against those taller dudes. Trouble is that they can't find these people in the world - until they produce them from the lab I guess.

Specifically from the article:

"To overcome average arm length, offensive tackles must be very smart, understand angles and be technique-sound, which describes Titans All-Pro OLT Michael Roos to a T. That is why he can overcome having a league OLT-worst 32½-inch arms and only give up one sack, according to STATS LLC."

Yes, having long arms is useful, but there certainly are ways to overcome it. The good thing is that Levitre is known for being a smart player, so he has the mental tools to overcome having short arms.

Pinkerton Security
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM

no i understand how it can be an asset, as I said, I just dont think that because a dude has arms that are 2 inches or 1 inch shorter than some other dudes that it will make a tremendous amount of difference, at least enough to make someone drop very far in the draft.

DBrown77
04-27-2009, 12:54 PM
you know what they say about long arms

Night Train
04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
you know what they say about long arms

Size 6 shoes ? :D

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
22 Inches.

methos4ever
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Short arms or no, here's some footage of Levitre taking care of business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBYwRvi4pZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5Cqr38zNE...feature=channel

33 1/8 in arms for Hardy BTW.

Oaf
04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
2 inches is a lot.. least that is what i tell my wife.
She told me it made a real big difference too.

dasaybz
04-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Talking about arm length is ****ing stupid.

Tell me how the guy does on the field.

ServoBillieves
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Short arms or no, here's some footage of Levitre taking care of business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBYwRvi4pZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp5Cqr38zNE...feature=channel

33 1/8 in arms for Hardy BTW.

Wow, that QB had ALL day to throw in those videos