• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

My Next-Day Post Draft Thoughts

I’ve learned over the years to try and wait a full day after the draft is over before posting my thoughts. It helps prevent me from the typical instant over-reaction immediately following a pick. As anyone who’s read the threads this weekend can see, I’ve refrained from any pick commentary. I’ll also keep as brief as possible since I’m sure opinions have been read dozens of times over by now.

Anyway, here are mine.

Rd 1. Aaron Maybin, DE: I absolutely love this pick. I’ve been telling friends and fans over the past week that this is the guy I wanted at #11 badly (Lecter will testify to this from Friday night). I think of all the pass rushers in the draft, he has the most upside, and that included Orakpo and Brown. I know many are surprised the Bills passed on Orakpo, but given his analysis and Texas’ long history of early round busts, I’m glad we did. Maybin is going to be a beast for us over time. More than that, I love his attitude, and unlike last year’s pick (McKelvin), Maybin is an excellent communicator (not suggesting picks should be made on that, but I consider it a bonus). People absolute must not be quick to judge Maybin: I still think his best days will come eventually as a 3-4 rush linebacker in the mold of Terrell Suggs once this team finally scrapes this cover two, which I think happens after this season. Regardless if it’s a 4-3 or 3-4, I think Maybin is going to grow into a great player. If I were the Bills GM picking 11th, I’d have done the exact same thing.

Rd 1: Eric Wood, G: I was mildly surprised by this pick, but after digesting it I like it. Look, anyone who watched the games last year saw how terrible we were in the interior of the offensive line. It had to be addressed sooner than later. Wood isn’t a reach; many mocks I saw had him going at the end of the first to Arizona or Pittsburgh. He’s a tough nose guy that will knock people around, and this team, with our running game, needs that badly. This isn’t the fanciest of picks, but I like it a lot. He should be the starting left guard from day one.

Rd 2: Jarius Byrd, DB: My first reaction to this outrage. Admittedly, it was because I thought it was already a pre 2010 strike to replace Terrence McGee. That’s been our history far too often. However, after learning we plan to use him as safety I came around to the pick. The bottom line is our safeties are not turnover machines. Whitner, Simpson, Wilson, Scott; they don’t make interceptions.. This kid had a lot of them in college. We need a ballhawk at FS. This keeps Whitner at SS and maybe with a better defender at FS it opens up more things for him. Still a little surprised we didn’t take a more ‘established’ safety from college, but after Chung (and he was already gone) there wasn’t anyone I really wanted. I still don’t love this pick, but it’s hard to argue that it doesn’t make sense. I’ve been saying for a while safety is a very underated need and the team addressed it.

Rd 2: Andy Levitre, OL: This was another pick I was originally unhappy about. The one thing I didn’t want early in this draft was a freegin tackle. Shore up the middle of the line! I was pleased to learn soon thereafter that he projects to guard. Unlike Wood, I do not think he starts as a rookie. I think he backs up both guard spots in year one. But I’m OK with that. I think Butler stays at RG, for now. And if he underperforms again (I thought he did big time last year) he can move to right tackle, or be replaced altogether. This team has been woeful for years at offensive line, both in starting talent and depth, and the Bills are doing something about it. You can never have too much offensive line talent. I’m much happier we went OG again than I thought I’d be. I personally preferred Duke Robinson, but apparently he was overvalued in mocks as he stayed on the board quite a while later.

Rd4: Shawn Nelson, TE: Could be my second favorite pick of this draft.. Without getting into much detail, he’s exactly what this offense needs. .He will stretch the field and make life easier on Trent Edwards. I love this pick. It took the Bills what, 15 seconds to make the pick? Love it

Rd 5: Nic Harris, LB: I really hate the cover two defense, but since we insist on playing it, I have no problem with this pick, though I preferred Marcus Freeman here. Harris is in the mold of former Dallas safety Roy Williams, who should’ve been a LB. Assuming the Bills don’t make any more moves in FA to address LB, he has a chance to come and take some playing time away from Ellison this year. Again, I was preferring Freeman but I don’t hate this pick at all.

I’m not going to comment about the last two picks, because frankly I think they’re irrelevant; plus I don’t care. Maybe one makes the practice squad.

My Overall Conclusion: Love this draft. For once, the team stuck to what it really needed to do most; get better and bigger up front. Maybin should help the pass rush in a big way, and the offensive line got a lot stronger. As a whole, I would grade this draft as the best the Bills have had since 2001, when we got Clements, Schobel and Henry in the first two rounds and other usesful players (Jennings, Spoon, etc) later on.

QUICK JASON PETERS NOTE: I said right after the trade, that I would hate the trade if we used a first rounder on a tackle to replace. WE didn’t, therefore I don’t hate the trade anymore. Chambers and Bell will compete for RT, and I’m OK with that, with possibly Butler returning to the tackle mix. They took a much needed guard and a tight end with the two picks they got from Philly, and they saved a boatload of money in the process. The trade looks nowhere as bad to me now.

PHILLY TRADE NOTE: I was highly critical of the Bills getting the 28th pick instead of #21 from Philadelphia. Once again, it was the right move for Buffalo. The Bills obviously had a plan in place to address interior offensive line at #28. They didn’t need the 21st pick. At #21 they might’ve taken Wood (or Mack) anyway, and it would’ve costed them more money. So getting the #28 instead allowed them to get the same guy, and at a cheaper rate.

FINAL MCCARGO NOTE: Not taking a DT in this draft, one of the few things I didn’t like about it as a whole, shows that the team may give John McCargo one more real opportunity to make his mark on this team. They go into camp with four DT’s and McCargo will get a chance, assuredly for the final time, to show something.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: My Next-Day Post Draft Thoughts

Comment

• kid mickey
      • Apr 2009

Look I hate to be a negative nancy to your post, but if the Bills scrapped the defensive system than pretty much every guy on the defensive side of the ball would have to go. Then you would be talking about rebuilding all over for one guy. Honestly I don't think they gave the reigns to Dick Jauron because they plan on scrapping the scheme. The scheme works o.k. The problem is playmakers. They addressed it with Maybin, Byrd, and Harris. They got guys who can come in and be instrumental to contributing turnovers. I am not saying guys like Whitner can't do this, its just when they have to move all over the field and play basically every DB position its kinda hard to make plays.
      Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• billsfanone
        Majored in Home Economics
        • Sep 2008

Be honest. You wait a day to see what others are saying first.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by oceros
          Be honest. You wait a day to see what others are saying first.
          No..If I had made posts in the minutes after the Byrd and Levitre picks I might've been getting a weeks' vacation from here.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ct bills fan
            • Jul 2002

You're dead on about the Nelson pick. I was at the draft and it literally took the bills 15 seconds to get the card in. Buffalo was very well represented. A bunch of us were waiting from 10am to around 1:30 for Buffalo's first 2nd day pick. From the onset we wanted Nelson, but, didn't think he'd last. When he was still available, we all looked at eachother and said, "it's obvious, right?" Needless to say the Bills fans went nuts when we actually did the obvious.

Comment

• kid mickey
              • Apr 2009

On a side note. At first I liked Freeman, but than realized that he can't get any bigger and has durability issues. Looking at Nic Harris the guy is 6'2 and 234 lbs. He has a lot more room to grow, but he doesn't need to get over 240. Plus he has solid cover skills. I can envision him shutting the Patriots screen down. Faulk who? I like what the Bills are trying to do.
              Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Agree with everything.

Only thing is I think Levitre starts day one. They traded up to get him and I think he fits at G better than Butler does. Butler is too tall and lanky to be effective as a run blocker.

I think and it might seem crazy, Bell will be our LT day one and Walker will stay at RT. Butler will be the backup at RG and RT along with Chambers.

Bell - Wood - Hangartner - Levitre - Walker

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Good write up Pat, well thought out, don't completely agree...but good job nonetheless.

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Feb 2009

Pat, I'm going to take your approach next year. All along I said I didn't want Orakpo, and when our number came up, I was like "Orakpo!"

I fell victim to the hype. And to me, I always considered Maybin too small.

But after absorbing it. Looking more into Maybin as a player and watching his interviews, I now love the pick as well. He's just a Buffalo Bill and you realize that when you hear him.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mahdi
                      Agree with everything.

Only thing is I think Levitre starts day one. They traded up to get him and I think he fits at G better than Butler does. Butler is too tall and lanky to be effective as a run blocker.

I think and it might seem crazy, Bell will be our LT day one and Walker will stay at RT. Butler will be the backup at RG and RT along with Chambers.

Bell - Wood - Hangartner - Levitre - Walker
                      I just doubt a rookie is going to step in and take Butler's spot that he has been in for 2(?) years, at least right away. How the o-line shakes out will obviously be the huge storyline for training camp.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                        I just doubt a rookie is going to step in and take Butler's spot that he has been in for 2(?) years, at least right away. How the o-line shakes out will obviously be the huge storyline for training camp.
                        Well there's a reason they gave away a 3rd rounder to get him. Butler was a 5th round project that is a serviceable G but I dont think he is the Road Grader type they want on the interior.

I think the Bills realize they are a grind it out team, especially with the weather the way it is and they need to be able to impose their will in the run game.

Levitre and Wood are exactly that and if Bell doesn't start day 1 at LT then Walker will go to LT and it will be between Butler and Bell on the right side.

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

great post pat.

and i agree totally on the mccargo note.. new dline coach gets a shot at him to see if last year was a wake up call.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ct bills fan
                            • Jul 2002

one thing - if they would have received #21 instead of #28, would they have taken Oher instead of Wood? My guess is probably yes.

Comment

• BillsWin
                              man amongst boys
                              • Oct 2008

Pat Moran, that was some stellar posting.
                              I am The Batman.

Comment

Working...
                              X