PDA

View Full Version : I was watching a game on Hockey night in Canada Classics

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Wow the players back then sucked (especially the goalies) I watched virtually the whole game and they never got any shots on net.

The worst team in the league today would DESTROY a team of Allstars from back then.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Wow the players back then sucked (especially the goalies) I watched virtually the whole game and they never got any shots on net.

The worst team in the league today would DESTROY a team of Allstars from back then.

Well, those guys back then were tough SOBs, they would KILL the Sabres today.

Roy, Hecht, Tallinder, Lydman, Pomminville, etc would be crying to not go out on the ice.

Mitchell55
04-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Outside of toughness, they sucked. With our equipment now though, who knows.

CuseJetsFan83
04-28-2009, 03:20 AM
Outside of toughness, they sucked. With our equipment now though, who knows.

i don't know if sucked would be the right word..... i still have yet to see another 200 point player in a season....

honestly i'd much rather see old time hockey come back..... that chicago/calgary series was fun to watch

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
i don't know if sucked would be the right word..... i still have yet to see another 200 point player in a season....

honestly i'd much rather see old time hockey come back..... that chicago/calgary series was fun to watch
Ovechkin would score 300 points if you put in back in those conditions.

Nighthawk
04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Ovechkin would score 300 points if you put in back in those conditions.

You've got to have all the variables the same for this to be the truth. Ovechkin would have to use all the crappy equipment, the crappy skates and be able to get his head taken off on every shift because that's how it was played back then.

Let's not forget that technology has taken huge steps since then and half of the goalies in today's game would have GAA's of 5.00 or more if they were forced to wear the little pads and equipment back then.

All I'm saying is that everything is relative.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
You've got to have all the variables the same for this to be the truth. Ovechkin would have to use all the crappy equipment, the crappy skates and be able to get his head taken off on every shift because that's how it was played back then.

Let's not forget that technology has taken huge steps since then and half of the goalies in today's game would have GAA's of 5.00 or more if they were forced to wear the little pads and equipment back then.

All I'm saying is that everything is relative.
You are right on.

The athletes though are so heads and shoulders superior they would still dominate with all things being equal.

Especially if you put everyone in todays equipment. The todays players would absolutely DESTROY the old timers.

If the today's athlete was to use the old crappy equipment it may be more fair as the old timers would work them over.

Mr. Pink
04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Ludicrous argument.

That's like saying put Jim Brown in the NFL now and he'd do nothing.

Babe Ruth would bat .250 and hit 30 HRs.

Wayne Gretzky would be lucky to score 100 points. Lemieux too for that matter.

You can only play in the era in which you're in and if you're that good, you're that good. Just because more years pass doesn't mean that what the guys did then is diminished or not as good as what someone today would do then. Which you can't even say would happen anyways.

Would Crosby and Malkin both have 300 points 20 years ago too? Vanek score 90 goals? What would Miller's GAA be? 4.50?

Would the Pens of the last few years win a series against the early 80s Oilers? No chance and by using your argument they'd have 2 guys who'd put up 300 points.

THATHURMANATOR
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Ludicrous argument.

That's like saying put Jim Brown in the NFL now and he'd do nothing.

Babe Ruth would bat .250 and hit 30 HRs.

Wayne Gretzky would be lucky to score 100 points. Lemieux too for that matter.

You can only play in the era in which you're in and if you're that good, you're that good. Just because more years pass doesn't mean that what the guys did then is diminished or not as good as what someone today would do then. Which you can't even say would happen anyways.

Would Crosby and Malkin both have 300 points 20 years ago too? Vanek score 90 goals? What would Miller's GAA be? 4.50?

Would the Pens of the last few years win a series against the early 80s Oilers? No chance and by using your argument they'd have 2 guys who'd put up 300 points.
REDICULOUS.