• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

Mike Doss Cut By The Bungles

Mike Doss 5'10" 207lbs. First round pick. Highly acclaimed Ohio St safety

Donte Whitner 5'10" 208lbs. First round pick. Highly acclaimed Ohio St safety.

What's my point? Doss just cut from his 2nd team today. He's a BUST.

Funny thing is, through his 1st 3 seasons in the NFL, he was more productive than Whitner has been.

So my question is, when do we cut the fat and let Whitner go? The guy doesn't do anything on the field, and he does too much off the field. (talks too much, gets arrested)

Ever since we reached by a round on this guy, he's been one of those entitled primadonna athletes. The guy has done absolutely nothing with this team.

I think its possible, and frankly I'm hoping, that he gets cut before the season starts.

The only thing I hate worse than players that can't play is players that can't play and talk a lot of junk.

He's a scrub, its time to move on.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Mike Doss Cut By The Bungles

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose

Funny thing is, through his 1st 3 seasons in the NFL, he was more productive than Whitner has been.

So my question is, when do we cut the fat and let Whitner go? The guy doesn't do anything on the field, and he does too much off the field. (talks too much, gets arrested)

Ever since we reached by a round on this guy, he's been one of those entitled primadonna athletes. The guy has done absolutely nothing with this team.

I think its possible, and frankly I'm hoping, that he gets cut before the season starts.

The only thing I hate worse than players that can't play is players that can't play and talk a lot of junk.

why would you think this was possible? and why do you think he is a "prima donna"? He does seem to talk more than your average player but he is well-liked by teammates and coaches, and organizes team events and tape sessions. Its obvious you just dont like him, which is fine, but I'd bet my unborn son that he will not be cut before the season starts.

Also, if by "more productive", you mean Doss has more career picks, then yes, thats obvious. But if you havent noticed, Doss has 7 tackles in his last 2 seasons.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

He was saying that Doss was more productive when you compare their first 3 seasons against one another.

Doss is basically done as an NFL player and has been for the past couple years.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Juice Is Loose

What do we gain by cutting him now though? I don't see the point.

Whitner surely doesn't make big plays but I havent noticed him to be a complete liability out there.

WHY CUT HIM?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
          He was saying that Doss was more productive when you compare their first 3 seasons against one another.

Doss is basically done as an NFL player and has been for the past couple years.
          understood, but saying Whitner should be cut because Doss was cut doesnt exactly paint the whole picture. If Whitner has a season like Doss's 4th season, then fine, we should cut him.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
            What do we gain by cutting him now though? I don't see the point.

Whitner surely doesn't make big plays but I havent noticed him to be a complete liability out there.

WHY CUT HIM?

I don't see any reason to cut him either Corey. He's an average player that doesn't kill us. Doesn't really help us either however. He's just there.

I don't see any reason though when his contract is up to extend him though.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
              I don't see any reason to cut him either Corey. He's an average player that doesn't kill us. Doesn't really help us either however. He's just there.

I don't see any reason though when his contract is up to extend him though.
              I am with you here unless his play improves greatly this season, which isn't likely.

Comment

• billsfanone
                Majored in Home Economics
                • Sep 2008

He's average. Not a liability.

Comment

• The Juice Is Loose
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Feb 2009

Why cut him? So we can have someone, ya know, good play there.

This dude held out, and has done ZERO.

He's more worried about the celebrity of being the NFL than performing in the NFL.

I am not saying that just cuz Doss got cut, we should cut him...but if Doss picked off more balls, had the exact same frame and abilities, what makes Whitner worth keeping?

He can't be low paid. We could cut him to sign Leroy Hill or someone else that may come available. He's a waste of a roster spot.

If not cut, how about try to trade him for something while people still blindly believe he's good based on nothing??

How about we call Seattle, tell them to re-franchise Hill and then trade him to us for Whitner???
                  Last edited by The Juice Is Loose; 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
                    • Dec 2008

I think the biggest problem faced by the 1st round primadona talent on the defense, is that they have had to cover 2 positions at the same time. The entire defense suffered because of poor play by Ellison and the absence of a good FS.

Whitner is the type of player that excels when he is surrounded by other talent, not a guy that can carry the load. He's got a skill set like Bob Sanders, but isn't the leader the way that Sanders is. Adding a FS that takes away the middle of the field, makes Whitner a MUCH better SS. He gets to do what he does best, which is prowl the field, and lay the big hit. Keeping the play in front of Whitner, makes him dangerous, making him chase the play makes him useless. Drafting a guy like Byrd, makes this defense dangerous. So letting go of Whitner does nothing to help this team.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Ok, say we do trade him...we'll play hypothetically here...and also assume someone likes him enough based on what he has/hasn't shown on the field to give us value...

Who do we replace him with on the field? Bryan Scott?

Comment

• kid mickey
                        • Apr 2009

Whitner is a multi-talented guy. He has been asked to do a lot of different things. The guy is good, but he can't do everything. You gotta have somebody opposite of you its like o.k the safety who is out there covering the deep field goes down. You gotta move there. The nickel guy goes down. You gotta move there. A cornerback goes down you gotta go there. The guy is supposed to be the SS and he has played every position in the secondary. That is called an asset. How many safties you know that can play corner?
                        Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• kid mickey
                          • Apr 2009

Fewell still seems to think we are just scratching the surface with what Donte can do for this team. Doss was never in a leadership role in Indianapolis and honestly he got a lot of tackles his rookie year and fell off from there. He doesn't play with the same passion as Donte. You want the guy to be Reed or Polamalu and I get that, but those guys are surrounded by a bunch of guys that allow them to do the things they do. The Ohio State comparison is where it stops.
                          Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                            • Apr 2008

I'm not as down on Whitner as other seem to be. I understand where he's viewed as a disappointment so far, but dropping him? come on... if he werent picked 8th overall, we wouldnt even be having this discussion. that's been a huge monkey on his back, and he hasnt been able to shake it yet, but IMO he's a solid player who wouldnt have all these haters if he'd been drafted in the 2nd.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                              • Jun 2005

Once we have a real passrush watch how good the whole secondary looks.

Comment

Working...
                              X