PDA

View Full Version : At least Russ and crew recognize that significant changes were needed...

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
I am not sure that all of the changes to the Bills team this year are the right ones or that they will work. That is still up for debate. But, to their credit, Brandon and crew have made a number of significant changes to the team and its personnel. I would have still preferred that one more change be made (head coach), but one can't deny that the Bills FO is trying to make the team better and is not standing around. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Taking a step back and reviewing the entire offseason:<o:p></o:p>
1. The Bills have completely redone their offensive line. Part of the change, replacing Jason Peters at LT is not a positive and was not by choice. However, let's be honest here - Peters handled the situation at least as poorly as the Bills did. The entire interior line (Wood, Hamgartner, Levitre) could be different from last year. In fact, it is possible that only one starter from last season, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Walker</st1:City>, could be back this year if <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> is not at RT. <o:p></o:p>
2. Realizing they do not have a #2 WR, the Bills signed TO. This move is definitely out of character for this team. It is a bold move, despite the one year deal, to make the team better now.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
3. Drafting Maybin and Byrd. What has the Bills defense been missing the last few seasons? Pressure on the QB and turnovers. Maybin’s job will be to pressure the QB, which will help with the turnovers. Byrd has 17 picks in two years. That is ~ 26 games in college. He averaged more than .65 ints a game. Whether he an do that in the NFL is no known, but it shows the Bills realize they need to create more plays on defense. Byrd and Whitner could be a good safety duo.<o:p></o:p>
4. Continuing on, it would be nice to make one more move. Maybe Levi Jones. Maybe LeRoy Hill. Both need to be made with caution. Jones has had an injury riddled few seasons. Plus, would his arrival signal the end of Walker or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City>? Hill would likely be costly and has the drug arrest. Perhaps the move will be more under the radar and will the signing of Freddie Keiaho or Derrick Brooks (if he would come to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>). Either move would allow Mitchell to move to SLB and would put Ellison on the bench (where he is OK as a back-up and ST player). I would not be shocked to see Bowen starting though. I also would not be shocked if he got cut, depending on his knee. <o:p></o:p>
5. The Bills finally eschewed the theory that a TE must be balanced and drafted a very good and fast receiving TE in Shawn Nelson, with limited blocking ability. The good news is that he can improve in blocking. If Edwards has time, the Bills can have success with Evans, TO and Nelson stretching the field, while guys like Reed, Johnson, eventually Hardy, Fine and the RBs are able to work underneath. In short, if the young guys on the O-line can be ready and the line can gel, the Bills might actually have a potent passing attack. <o:p></o:p>
6. In their first 4 picks, the Bills drafted 3 lineman (1 DL, 2 OL). I am too lazy to go back in their history and look this up, but this has not happened in a very long time. They realize that success starts in the trenches. <o:p></o:p>
These changes might not be the answers the team needed, but it is apparent that it has not been business as usual at OBD this offseason. <o:p></o:p>
It can’t hurt. The old way sure as hell was not working out. <o:p></o:p>

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I am not sure that all of the changes to the Bills team this year are the right ones or that they will work. That is still up for debate. But, to their credit, Brandon and crew have made a number of significant changes to the team and its personnel. I would have still preferred that one more change be made (head coach), but one can't deny that the Bills FO is trying to make the team better and is not standing around. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Taking a step back and reviewing the entire offseason:<o:p></o:p>
1. The Bills have completely redone their offensive line. Part of the change, replacing Jason Peters at LT is not a positive and was not by choice. However, let's be honest here - Peters handled the situation at least as poorly as the Bills did. The entire interior line (Wood, Hamgartner, Levitre) could be different from last year. In fact, it is possible that only one starter from last season, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Walker</st1:City>, could be back this year if <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> is not at RT. <o:p></o:p>
2. Realizing they do not have a #2 WR, the Bills signed TO. This move is definitely out of character for this team. It is a bold move, despite the one year deal, to make the team better now.<o:p></o:p>
3. Drafting Maybin and Byrd. What has the Bills defense been missing the last few seasons? Pressure on the QB and turnovers. Maybin’s job will be to pressure the QB, which will help with the turnovers. Byrd has 17 picks in two years. That is ~ 26 games in college. He averaged more than .65 ints a game. Whether he an do that in the NFL is no known, but it shows the Bills realize they need to create more plays on defense. Byrd and Whitner could be a good safety duo.<o:p></o:p>
4. Continuing on, it would be nice to make one more move. Maybe Levi Jones. Maybe LeRoy Hill. Both need to be made with caution. Jones has had an injury riddled few seasons. Plus, would his arrival signal the end of Walker or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City>? Hill would likely be costly and has the drug arrest. Perhaps the move will be more under the radar and will the signing of Freddie Keiaho or Derrick Brooks (if he would come to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>). Either move would allow Mitchell to move to SLB and would put Ellison on the bench (where he is OK as a back-up and ST player). I would not be shocked to see Bowen starting though. I also would not be shocked if he got cut, depending on his knee. <o:p></o:p>
5. The Bills finally eschewed the theory that a TE must be balanced and drafted a very good and fast receiving TE in Shawn Nelson, with limited blocking ability. The good news is that he can improve in blocking. If Edwards has time, the Bills can have success with Evans, TO and Nelson stretching the field, while guys like Reed, Johnson, eventually Hardy, Fine and the RBs are able to work underneath. In short, if the young guys on the O-line can be ready and the line can gel, the Bills might actually have a potent passing attack. <o:p></o:p>
6. In their first 4 picks, the Bills drafted 3 lineman (1 DL, 2 OL). I am too lazy to go back in their history and look this up, but this has not happened in a very long time. They realize that success starts in the trenches. <o:p></o:p>
These changes might not be the answers the team needed, but it is apparent that it has not been business as usual at OBD this offseason. <o:p></o:p>
It can’t hurt. The old way sure as hell was not working out. <o:p></o:p>
Why would the arrival of Jones have anything to do with getting rid of Walker or Butler? Bell or Chambers if you ask me.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Why would the arrival of Jones have anything to do with getting rid of Walker or Butler? Bell or Chambers if you ask me.

I am assuming Jones would start.

Butler and Walker make a good hunk of money to be on the bench.

Jones-Wood-Hamgartner-Levitre-Walker/Butler

Reserves: Chambers, Bell, McKinney, ? (Scott?)

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
I am assuming Jones would start.

Butler and Walker make a good hunk of money to be on the bench.

Jones-Wood-Hamgartner-Levitre-Walker/Butler

Reserves: Chambers, Bell, McKinney, ? (Scott?)
They have the money. No reason to cut based on that.

I would rather have Walker than Levi Jones for christ sakes, Butler too for that matter.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
I Have a feeling Levitre won't start this year but will provide solid depth all around the line so if they want Jones to compete for one of the tackle spots I guess that would be ok.

Typ0
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I enjoyed reading your analysis and agree they are trying and doing what they feel is right to get the team better. The questions I have at this point are more on the defensive line and QB. I don't care how many backs we have if they need to spend the whole game tackling people 3 yards past the LOS because the line can't get the job done we are still dead in the water on defense.

Then there is the problem with QB. I wouldn't care if we had peyton manning this isn't all a jab against edwards--we just don't have strength at that position and it's going to kill us if TE doesn't light it up all of a sudden and he plays every down. Is that really realistic?

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I enjoyed reading your analysis and agree they are trying and doing what they feel is right to get the team better. The questions I have at this point are more on the defensive line and QB. I don't care how many backs we have if they need to spend the whole game tackling people 3 yards past the LOS because the line can't get the job done we are still dead in the water on defense.

Then there is the problem with QB. I wouldn't care if we had peyton manning this isn't all a jab against edwards--we just don't have strength at that position and it's going to kill us if TE doesn't light it up all of a sudden and he plays every down. Is that really realistic?
If Trent does not improve or is injured we are screwed I agree.

Typ0
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
If Trent does not improve or is injured we are screwed I agree.

and it begs the question why are all of our eggs still in one unproven QBs basket? We think they are on the right track and improving areas of the team that are going to make us better...but we leave this QB issue on the table again and it's hands down the position that can make or break you.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2009, 03:12 PM
and it begs the question why are all of our eggs still in one unproven QBs basket? We think they are on the right track and improving areas of the team that are going to make us better...but we leave this QB issue on the table again and it's hands down the position that can make or break you.

Aren't all young QBs question marks though? What other options did they have?
At some point, you give your young QB the ball and tell him it is time. Take off the training wheels and see if he can ride.

Typ0
04-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Aren't all young QBs question marks though? What other options did they have?
At some point, you give your young QB the ball and tell him it is time. Take off the training wheels and see if he can ride.

agreed on that. Not agreed on signing a second rate project to back him up though. Getting a vet QB on this roster should have been a priority in this offseason and I'm not talking a vet who has constantly failed at what they were trying to do like JP Lossman.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
The answer to that is absolutely. Fitzpatrick is capable of coming in during the game or a short span and producing but not long term.

Typ0
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
The answer to that is absolutely. Fitzpatrick is capable of coming in during the game or a short span and producing but not long term.

really? how do you know that? I don't know much about him. I know some people had some nice things to say about him...but they were homers. You can never tell with a homer because a turd could be dressed in blue and they would think it smelled like a rose.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:19 PM
really? how do you know that? I don't know much about him. I know some people had some nice things to say about him...but they were homers. You can never tell with a homer because a turd could be dressed in blue and they would think it smelled like a rose.
Well I don't know anything for sure but merely Just saying I am not comfortable on Fitz starting long term is all.

Typ0
04-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I don't know anything for sure but merely Just saying I am not comfortable on Fitz starting long term is all.

I'm not comfortable him starting at all. It's a 16 game season. TE is going to go down at some point and miss a couple games. Can we afford to throw those games into the toilet?

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm not comfortable him starting at all. It's a 16 game season. TE is going to go down at some point and miss a couple games. Can we afford to throw those games into the toilet?
No not at all man. I am agreeing with you 100% on this. I am not even 100% sold yet on Trent.

Typ0
04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
No not at all man. I am agreeing with you 100% on this. I am not even 100% sold yet on Trent.

me neither on TE...but I see the need to give him the reigns and see what happens. It's just this issue of having nothing behind him that eats at my soul.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
me neither on TE...but I see the need to give him the reigns and see what happens. It's just this issue of having nothing behind him that eats at my soul.
I hear you.

HHURRICANE
04-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Lecter good thread.

I would say that neither Butler or Walker are at risk.

I think the line would be infinately better if it was Jones-Wood-Hangartner-Butler-Walker with Bell and Levitre developing behind them.

I think this was a tough draft for talent to make an assessment that you haven't been doing a good job as an organization on getting talent.

If Brandon is saying that 7-9 is unacceptable than he'd better have a plan for LT and LB. Those are major league holes that aren't getting filled by Ellison and Chambers.

I know we disagree on Peters but the Front Office has blame in that mess as much as Peters. Paying Dockery, Kelsay, Schobel, and Walker more than him was asking for trouble and they got it.